Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• RyanDS 11 Dec 2012 09:03:38 8,699 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As I understand it from reading the forums the situation went like this:

Game compatible on all iPads, build submitted.
    Apple reject build due to major bug.
    In order to get a new game out ASAP an IOS 6 build is thrown together and submitted and approved.
    Team is now working on getting it IOS 5 compatible.

So hopefully it will work on older ipads soon.
  • dominalien 11 Dec 2012 09:05:44 6,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, that makes sense. Ta. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• DaM 11 Dec 2012 09:19:52 12,606 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I do agree that to newcomers its nigh on impossible to work out how to play, however no more impossible than it was back in the day and i managed to learn it!
    I figured out how to cast a spell...had to google to find the entrance to the basement....

if you long press on spells it gives you the description, cant remember who was having an issue with that.
    Was coming on to ask that! I'm assuming the PC version would show a tooltip. I'm finding it hard going, maybe I'm just lazy these days. Will stick at it....
  • yegon 11 Dec 2012 10:16:21 4,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm enjoying it, but I'd find it impossible to fathom had I not already played it extensively. To noobs, I'd suggest playing Avadon and other Spiderweb games for now, and hope for a patch to come along that improves BG.
  • THFourteen 11 Dec 2012 11:29:56 31,799 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It won't make it easier to understand though...

I love old school DnD rules, but i can understand why today's "yoof" would turn their noses up. Wonder how sales have got on.
  • yegon 11 Dec 2012 12:41:25 4,893 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

I love old school DnD rules, but i can understand why today's "yoof" would turn their noses up. Wonder how sales have got on.
    Yeah, I was thinking more about tooltips etc for spells and some basic interface improvements. Nothing is going to make it suddenly instantly accessible though.
  • munki83 12 Dec 2012 17:42:05 1,332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think a lot of the UI issues would be solved by including large icons to click on for exits they can be obscure.
  • Stranded87 12 Dec 2012 18:48:01 767 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm having a lot less issue with doors, looting etc now that it's occurred to me to pause before trying to do it. That way you can just keep tapping till you hit the right spot.
  • FanBoysSuck 12 Dec 2012 19:07:07 1,384 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

I ended up reading an actual 3rd edition rule book to get my head around the basics (I know it uses the shitty second edition set but it gives a good grounding)and it still took me 3 attempts to get into the gog version. The problem is that fuck all is explained in game and takes a bit of reading up. I personally don't mind this if the games worth it but for the majority of people it's simply not for them. It's the same reason dark souls has a small but dedicated fan base. Anyone who though this would be a massive seller and make everyone question modern RPGs is living in la la land.

For the emperor!

• Load_2.0 12 Dec 2012 20:21:55 18,190 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The key to BG is pause timing and setting the characters to the correct defence/offence/ranged positions.

Have mastered doors now and chests now.
  • THFourteen 15 Dec 2012 22:30:59 31,799 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey guys, based on all the feedback we've been getting we've put together a new update for the iPad version of the game. We've added a "Smart Radius" feature which makes it much easier to interact with doors, area transitions and ground objects. We've also made a number of fixes, including multiplayer.
    We're hoping the update has a speedy pass through the approvals process.

Best,
    -Trent
  • Blaizefm 15 Dec 2012 23:34:23 232 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Man, it's such a mess on the iPad. A bug ridden, sloppy mess of a game. I wonder if publishers would put out games in this state if users could get refunds.
  • Moot_Point 15 Dec 2012 23:43:26 3,503 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @THFourteen Sounds good. I hope, however, the update isn't of the same size as Asphalt 7: Heat. /grumble

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Blaizefm 17 Dec 2012 21:14:56 232 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Christ, the bugs are shocking. I'm sure the developers worked hard at this, but I'd be embarrassed if I put this out. This is early beta at best. I'm going to hold off until the next update comes out.
  • onestepfromlost 17 Dec 2012 21:25:59 1,965 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i really dont understand people buying this when you can buy the original and fix the bugs and add mods to make it better, Im sure within a few months the extra content will be available as mods to the original.
  • Stranded87 17 Dec 2012 21:35:01 767 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @onestepfromlost The main reason to buy it is to play it on tablets. That's certainly why I bought it and it translates pretty damn well.

The other reason I guess is for people too lazy to faff about with mods. I also don't imagine that the new content will be available as mods (certainly not legally). Plus by supporting this you are indirectly supporting the possibility of Baldur's Gate 3.
  • onestepfromlost 17 Dec 2012 21:40:05 1,965 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i see your points, i dont have a tablet, but isn't there a way to already play it on tablets 9was it gemrb or something someone called it?)
    Most of the mods are easier to install than the game itself, 90% of them come with installers that just need run. To be honest if all im hearing is true about BG1 EE i would hate to see them make a total cunt of BG2 EE and spoil a lot of people favourite game. Again if they make a BG3 do you trust them to do it if they cant even improve on an already great game?
  • Stranded87 17 Dec 2012 21:47:00 767 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @onestepfromlost I can run Windows on an iPhone- and have, it's horrendous. The same (to a lesser extent) applies to gemrb imo. Mods for it probably are pretty easy, to be honest I haven't played a PC version in about 10 years, so that's a fair point.

In terms of the new content by and large I think they've done a pretty good job- from what I've seen so far the writing, voice acting and encounters are all at a pretty high standard and don't feel out of place so in that sense, yeah I think they could do Baldur's Gate 3 justice. I mean a lot of them worked on Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 anyway, so if anyone can, they should be able to.

The only real issue is the bugs, they absolutely shouldn't have released Baldur's Gate: EE in the state it's in and having done so is probably hurting them. But they seem to be working hard to squash the bugs and before too long I imagine it will be more or less bug free, so I'm not too worried about it in that sense either.

But aside from supporting the possibility of a third Baldur's Gate I sort of agree with you that there's little reason for PC player's to buy it. I'm not sure i'd have bought the Enhanced Edition on PC, I'd have paid half the price and re-bought the original on GOG.

Edited by Stranded87 at 21:48:29 17-12-2012
  • onestepfromlost 17 Dec 2012 22:30:04 1,965 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dont get me wrong I know i totally sound like a naysayer, i am one of the people that really wanted this to be great. I wanted this to be an amazing update, if i had been a great improvement i would have bought it in a second with the ideal of future projects.
  • lordofdeadside 19 Dec 2012 21:50:10 1,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, bought this for the iPad the other day. Need some help on... err... the tutorial. Where is the damn chest you are supposed to pick? I've clicked on everything in the room (with the power selected) and nothing. Annoying.
  • Stranded87 20 Dec 2012 10:10:21 767 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @lordofdeadside I can't remember exactly where it is. I assume you're using the magnifying glass button to highlight things that you can interact with rather than just clicking on everything?

If not do that. If you are already doing that try clicking on anything chest like without the lockpick skill selected and it should make a click sound and say it's locked- in which case you'll at least know what you're meant to pick.

The reason I suggest doing that is that I found the lockpick skill a bit glitchy in the tutorial- sometimes nothing would happen and I had to turn it on and off a few times. So at least if you try it without the skill you can work out what you're meant to pick and then go from there.

Though if you've played Baldur's Gate before you probably don't really even need the tutorial, I had a lot more trouble with it than I have done with the game itself.

Edited by Stranded87 at 10:41:50 20-12-2012
  • THFourteen 20 Dec 2012 10:22:31 31,799 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So having played this a bit more now, have the following comments to make.

Attacking enemies is not too fiddly. I have my settings to auto-pause as soon as an enemy is sighted, a target disappears, or any player is hit. That seems to be the ideal settings. The only time it gets slightly fiddly is when i want half the team to attack one enemy and the other half to attack the other enemey, as i have to use the group select button.

Picking up stuff from the ground is fiddly. I always have to zoom in and pick stuff up, otherwise i'm clicking on the ground all over the place.

I haven't had many crashes, but probably a few maybe 4 or 5. Usually if i am multitasking in and out of it a lot, it gets unstable, otherwise seems fine. I save a lot anyway, after every fight i at least press quick save (which is an AMAZING addition).

oh and i havent had a single problem with transitions either doors or areas, but then i do know where most of them are from memory so maybe thats why.

But totally enjoying it, and will buy BG2 for ipad too.

Am at the stage now where i need to start thinking about what party i want, and as usual, struggling... i want the two new characters but that means going against my usual grain of minsc, dynaheir, jaheira, khalid and imoen! woah is me.

Edited by THFourteen at 10:23:15 20-12-2012
  • Popzeus 20 Dec 2012 10:29:49 8,250 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    God, I'd forgotten how complicated old-school RPGs could be to get into. Never having played the original, trying to get to grips with the interface on this is on a par with learning a new programming language.

The so-called "tutorial" doesn't help either, that's one area that could really have used some "enhancement". How difficult would it have been to at least highlight the button it's asking you to press, rather than just saying "press the backpack button" when there are at least two things onscreen that look like backpacks.

And expecting me to recognise which tiny rune represents which spell, from a vast selection right from the off, is a tall order.

Still, going to stick with it as I'm sure once it clicks it will be very much my sort of thing.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• THFourteen 20 Dec 2012 10:35:12 31,799 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think i originally found it easier to get into when i was younger because i used to play dnd so i know what magic missile does, i know what the weapon proficiencies mean, i know how to pick locks, detect traps etc etc. In fact i was incredibly annoyed by the decision to move away from dnd rules in the latest bioware RPGs.

i remember getting almost halfway through the game the first time round before someone told me i could pickpocket lol.
  • RyanDS 20 Dec 2012 10:39:06 8,699 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm about 2/3rds of the way through this now and am loving it still.

Dissappointingly I am using Jaheira, Khalid, Misc, Dynaheir and Imoen, so am not making any use of the extras I paid for. (THough I was still happy to pay, as I want the devs to have as much money as possible to ensure BG2 gets made asap.)

The only real annoyance is quite frequent crashes to desktop (or whatever the ipad version of that is called) but even that is minor given the quick load times etc.
  • DaM 20 Dec 2012 10:43:37 12,606 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    God, I'd forgotten how complicated old-school RPGs could be to get into. Never having played the original, trying to get to grips with the interface on this is on a par with learning a new programming language.

The so-called "tutorial" doesn't help either, that's one area that could really have used some "enhancement". How difficult would it have been to at least highlight the button it's asking you to press, rather than just saying "press the backpack button" when there are at least two things onscreen that look like backpacks.

And expecting me to recognise which tiny rune represents which spell, from a vast selection right from the off, is a tall order.

Still, going to stick with it as I'm sure once it clicks it will be very much my sort of thing.
    Glad it's not just me :)
  • Popzeus 20 Dec 2012 10:45:13 8,250 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went straight for Magic Missile as a starting spell because I remembered it from the Eye of the Beholder games!

Weirdly I used to get on fine with the hardcore D&D computer games back in the day (completed Champions of Krynn, for instance), despite never having played any boardgames nerdier than Space Hulk.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Stranded87 20 Dec 2012 10:47:30 767 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm using Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Branwen and Neera. So at least one of the new characters is getting some use. I'd love to use the others as well, since they have quite a lot of fully voiced dialogue and new quests and areas, but I'm pretty sure using Dorn is asking for trouble with my other characters and I can't really get my head around Monks, so Rasaad was a non-starter. Plus taking either of them would probably mean ditching Minsc and then I if I recall correctly I would lose Dynaheir too.
  • THFourteen 20 Dec 2012 11:25:49 31,799 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah i am considering having Dynaheir killed so i can keep Minsc :-(
  • Mola_Ram 31 Dec 2012 03:45:33 6,211 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If I remember correctly, you can go into a house with someone you don't want, disband them, and walk out. And they'll stay that way forever unless you go back in. It's a good way to lose the worse halves of the "paired" characters without killing them. I think there's a flesh to stone scroll somewhere too.

Anyway, am planning on getting this if/when it comes out on android. Sounds like there might be a few gameplay kinks though, if the iPad version is any indication.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last