How many Games a year did you parents buy you when you where a kid? And... Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Deleted user 17 November 2012 14:14:45
    Dude, you are almost thirty and still live with your parents. I don't think you should be talking strong parenting! :)
  • Tryhard 17 Nov 2012 14:17:09 3,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As a kid the only toys I ever had was Airfix plastic soldiers and a few model planes.

They did have this magic stick I had to ran after and get,but why they threw it out onto a busy road I have no idea?
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Nov 2012 14:17:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My parents didn't buy many as they did have a huge amount of money for a number of years.

I used to save up pocket money and Birthday/Christmas money to buy them.

So I'd get maybe two or three games at Christmas, a couple at birthdays, and then that was it.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 14:21:36
    OT, I think I got maybe one PS1 game a year and treasured the hell out of it. My mum bought me a PS1 and Dreamcast. I bought myself everything else.
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Nov 2012 14:38:41 1,444 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My dad used to take me to town when I was very young and I was allowed a c64 game a month (keeping in mind they were only a couple of quid) or more if I traded old games in to cover the cost. This went out the window when consoles came in and it was suddenly £30 for a new game. I think it was only birthdays/Xmas after that and I was left to finance my own gaming via trade ins and saved pocket money.

As for how long I was allowed to play them? I was pretty social as a kid so my game time didn't really become an issue, at least until my teens where I discovered RPGs. Hell I think they preferred me gaming to hanging with my main group of mates at the time who spent their whole time trying to get weed and pills.

When I'm a parent? (can't be too far off, I'm at the point where everyone is getting married and having kids) I'll try to do what my dad did with me. Get them involved in lots of activities like war gaming, scouts and a sport(if that's what you can call skateboarding). That way even if they go through crazy gaming phases they're still getting lots of social interaction and won't turn our as weirdo's.

For the emperor!

• Maturin 17 Nov 2012 14:40:43 2,889 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would get one Spectrum game for Christmas, one for my birthday.

Plus I'd save up my spends to get one occasionally. But at 50p a week it took a while.

/is old
  • Daryoon 17 Nov 2012 14:43:33 4,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    2-3, across birthday/Christmas. For everything else there was the Sunday market.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 14:45:52
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    When I'm a parent? (can't be too far off, I'm at the point where everyone is getting married and having kids) I'll try to do what my dad did with me. Get them involved in lots of activities like war gaming, scouts and a sport(if that's what you can call skateboarding). That way even if they go through crazy gaming phases they're still getting lots of social interaction and won't turn our as weirdo's.
    This.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 14:47:23
    Used to love the video rental store. Only ever rented games from it. And I remember having a second hand Megadrive and I don't think I actually owned any games for it but rented a ton.
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Nov 2012 14:52:42 1,444 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    EatMyCow wrote:
    Facepalm wrote:
    parents who buy kids everything they want are cunts, you should teach your kids early on, you can't have everything unless you earn it. Give kids everything they want and at 18 you'll end up with a useless, workless twat. I know, I have to deal with the directors kids. They are learning what hard work is to be fair to them, but their not used to it. Yes, you really have to bend down and lift this box. /Cool
    It's not just that. From personal experiences christmas and birthday were a proper treat. If I ha kids I'd be strict with stuff like this for their own enjoyment.

When I was young I very rarely got anything other than on birthdays and christmas, gamewise. But you really appreciated and played the hell out of them, even if they were crap.

My nephew and nieces get so much, they just get bored of all their presents on christmas day. How crap is that.
    Indeed, you want those occasions to be special, something to look forward to. I remember not bring able to sleep all month before I got my mega drive.

For the emperor!

• Maturin 17 Nov 2012 15:23:08 2,889 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is what we are trying to do with out kids. They are too young yet for videogames. But big treats are saved for birthdays and Christmas, and they seem to value them much more.
  • SolidSCB 17 Nov 2012 15:35:09 6,387 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I used to get a handful of games every Birthday and Christmas. But back then they'd really last me. Completing a game as a kid was seemed like a big achievement and I'd only finish one once in a blue moon. I did get the odd big treat though. I remember absolutely blagging the fuck out of my mum on Final Fantasy VIII release day claiming my life would be over if I didn't have it. But I was never really a kid who asked for much so I'd usually get away with it when I did.
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Nov 2012 15:53:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember me and my brothers putting our money together for Super Mario AllStars and having to argue with my parents that although it was 50, it had four games in so was actually good value!
  • Bazza1983 17 Nov 2012 16:46:35 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hardly any, used to flick through the spectrum games at the local market stall in west Brom, 2.50 each and still never really got many.

Had to rely on friends at school,

"can you lend me a game?"
    "What you gonna lend me?"
    "James Bond action pack."
    "Erm, nah I haven't got any."

:(
  • Doomspoon 17 Nov 2012 16:57:24 2,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember in the C64 and early Amiga days reading reviews over and over in Zzap 64, Commodore Format, Amiga Format and Amiga Power, planning what I'd buy with birthday or Christmas money. I'd buy 1.99 or 2.99 games on the C64 regularly but I'd rarely save up for a full price title. Buying a full price C64 game with Xmas tips from the paper round was a big deal, sometimes I'd get enough to buy two. Memorable ones were Buggy Boy, Turbo Outrun and Power Drift. Then using gift vouchers or money given to buy the likes of Batman: The Movie and Ninja Spirit.

The price scales are so different now, the standard price point for a budget re-issue 360 or PS3 game is about 15-20 vs a typical 35-40 full price against the 1-2.99 and 9.99 respectively for the C64/Spectrum/Amstrad. I guess the iOs/Android games fall at a comparatively lower price and the Steam deals would be about the equivalent now of the 8-bit 1.99s.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 17:01:29
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I used to get a handful of games every Birthday and Christmas. But back then they'd really last me. Completing a game as a kid was seemed like a big achievement and I'd only finish one once in a blue moon. I did get the odd big treat though. I remember absolutely blagging the fuck out of my mum on Final Fantasy VIII release day claiming my life would be over if I didn't have it. But I was never really a kid who asked for much so I'd usually get away with it when I did.
    I got a game employee to thank for FF8. I wanted Tommorrow never dies for christmas. My parents went to game to get it for xmas, but apparently the sales guy went nah he doesn't want that, buy him this. What a guy. or Girl.

I also got THPS 2 that christmas. Best year ever.

But yeah its amazing how you make games last, now its churning through them asap to get the next release.

If i go through with my wii u pre-order, i am actually looking really to playing Mario. just playing it.
  • consoledelight 17 Nov 2012 19:36:44 139 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

I love JACK THE NIPPER, i still play it on my old speccy along with Batty (Arknoid clone) every now and then. Games where much harder im sure.

You could buy a game everytime you got pocket money, not a bad time.
  • Agent_Llama 17 Nov 2012 19:54:50 3,334 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to get one for Christmas, one for birthday.

Began with my Game Boy plus Jurassic Park from Dixons one year, and I think I got my SNES plus Super Mario World for the birthday after that. The following Christmas, I got Mario Kart.

Between birthdays and Christmas, I'd buy maybe one or two games per year, saving up pocket money or spending money received as presents.

In a way that was better - I didn't play so many games, but I played them properly. I can't recall exactly how many hours I spent playing Sim City 2000 or Theme Park on my SNES, for example. Good times.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• FuzzyDuck 17 Nov 2012 20:09:32 3,892 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm also very much in the 'one game at Christmas, one for the birthday' camp. I agree that it makes it a special occasion, something to look forward to and savour.

Got a Megadrive for my 11th birthday in September 1993. Think Sonic 1 and the Streets of Rage/Revenge of Shinobi/Golden Axe triple cart came with it too, so that kept me going nicely until Christmas when my folks got me (what else) SF II SCE and my brother and sister who were of wage earning ages back then, got me a surprise of Sonic 2. Two top-drawer games at once, i spent at least half of that morning in sheer awe.

More games were played via the usual outlets - would typically rent games maybe twice a month on Friday once i had my homework all done. my bestie a few doors up also had a NES and MD during the same time periods as myself, so much swappage occurred.

As for how i consumed games then, only after homework did they go on. I was actually allowed to play them for as long as I wanted, provided they didn't interfere with my normal day to day kid stuff, so I could get my homework done by 7, and play until half 10 if I wanted. Having my birthday in September worked quite well - new game for the winter months, new one for Christmas, then it made very little difference if i was bored of it because as the evenings got longer i'd be out with my friends playing football or cycling, and by summer, games would only be played if we were out and it started raining. Having a wee TV in the kitchen also meant that my playing was easily monitored and everyone bar my Dad was draw in by the sights and sounds and ended up getting into games. I guess my boundaries were pretty sensible and well defined, and it was made clear that if i stayed within them, I could do what i wanted (I think it helped that I had a natural interest in playing footie/general running around, cycling and reading, so my folks knew if i wanted to play games for hours one day, that's okay because the next day I'd have my head in a book or running the length and breadth of the local pitch for hours). Cheers (to my) folks :D

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 20:11:37 17-11-2012
  • jonsaan 17 Nov 2012 20:11:13 25,326 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Getting one game for your birthday was an issue if it was total shite.

FCUTA!

• Maturin 17 Nov 2012 20:14:49 2,889 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was. I remember asking for the Speccy version of Top Gun. Bloody hell I regretted that.
  • KD 17 Nov 2012 20:16:55 633 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Atari I didnt have more than 2 a year.

Amstrad cpc 464 I'd have a 99p game every weekend and 5 or so pricey new games like Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Dynamite Dux or Prince of Persia for my birthday or xmas.

My Sega consoles and newer I've always had one or 2 a year as presents but I saved money weekly and went to 5th Dimension in Swansea to trade games into the 90's.

That was my childhood

I must add my Dad has a small interest in gaming so I had it easy back then heh

Edited by KD at 20:18:42 17-11-2012
  • Load_2.0 17 Nov 2012 20:17:26 18,869 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hardly any.

C64 there was a lot of game exchanging that went on at school.

For consoles I would rent 3-4 games for the weekend mates would come other and we would hammer them in marathon sessions.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 17 Nov 2012 20:23:40 121 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's a hard one to say. I had an Acorn Electron which kept me going from what must have been around 1982 to when I finally got a Sega Megadrive whenever that came out in England.

Every couple of months my Dad would take me out to buy an Electron game on a Saturday morning from the most wonderfully nerdy shop of outliers I've ever been privileged to frequent. A tenner I think the games were and that was considered quite a bit of cash - we didn't really do pocket money in my family so each purchase was a nice surprise event*

I got much more value out of my 2 a month Electron User magazine which game me endless code-entering opportunities, as well as understanding (but not really understanding) how it all worked - this thrilled me endlessly even if I was too young to understand it all completely. Part of me thinks it would have been nice to have more actual games, but really I think I got a lot more fascination out of my hobby as a result.

I remember when the Megadrive came I wanted James Pond - it was promised, we went shopping and when it turned out to cost four times as much as an Electron game, my parents were horrified. They bought it anyway but I think it shocked them.

Still, even in the console years I think I got around four games a year including Christmas and birthdays - but my God I got value out of them.

(* This sounds worryingly like Monty Python doing the Yorkshiremen sketch.)
  • hypoBla5t 17 Nov 2012 20:47:14 1,359 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember one birthday I got Croc, that platforming game on the Saturn. Didn't that one have the bug where Croc and all the enemies were invisible unless you started the game with the lid open? Priceless.

Would be sorted with a day one patch nowadays.
  • Ged42 17 Nov 2012 20:53:20 7,700 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Luxury ;)

I got one game for my birthday, then one for christmas. Combined with my brother getting the same we ended with a decent PC and Megadrive collection, that we shared/fought over.

Anything else were trades at a probably now long gone shop called SRS in Watford.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 21:21:13
    jonsaan wrote:
    Getting one game for your birthday was an issue if it was total shite.
    ha. I wanted Jurrassic park the lost world game, my mum even said you sure you want this with your playstation, its advertised on tv, its probably rubbish.

she was right.

Still had tomb raider though.
  • Raiko101 17 Nov 2012 21:36:19 6,055 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I forget how much you treasure games when you're younger and get so few. I would always have to balance what I wanted for Xmas and my birthday, picking either a couple of expensive games, or a few more cheaper ones. Thankfully, most games I bought had a lot of replay value.

Once the Playstation came around, I managed to convince my mum to get me the official mag, so I could play the demos, which added a bit of variety lol.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Page

of 3 First / Last