How many Games a year did you parents buy you when you where a kid? And...

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 10:19:09
    how many, if you are a parent, do you buy your kids?

(basically a my parents are richer than your parents thread).

Got brought a Snes in 94 with Donkey Kong for christmas, and mario world as a later present. I would say 2-3 a year at this point. Mainly at christmas and birthdays.

Got brought a ps1 for christmas, must be in '97 with tomb raider, and worms. At this stage games were appearing on tv more. I would normally recieve a couple of games at christmas, but my dad brought me TOCA1 based entirely on a top gear showing of the in car view. And he brought himself/me air combat as well. And i was off sick for a week just after MGS came out, and to my amazement, they brought me it despite not really knowing it existed, only through word of mouth when the demo was released. So i would say 3-5 a year in the ps1 days.

Ps2 i brought with my own money, and i guess paying for games as well. I don't think i ever received a PS2 games as a birthday or christmas gift. Through memory is short, and probably did in the early days.

Which brings me to a seperate point, putting time in to games. They lasted me ages. Over a course of a year, now days, 2-3 games seem nothing. Ok i had a social life back then, and time was taken up by school and the like, but still. When i was sick playing MGS, i played it 5 times in a row trying to get more suits (there was some crazy rumour about a certain suit you unlocked). FF7 last me months. Now its , done, done, done on to the next one.

And for parents how many do you buy as kids?
  • munki83 17 Nov 2012 10:31:14 1,453 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Me and a mate discuss random things like this and we aint even parents. My brother and I typically as kids got 3/5 games a year. In my teen age years it stepped up to about 6/10 a year cos we had more pocket money and I use to buy pc games on budget. Now......feck...its between 10-20 a year I buy now thanks to Steam games.
  • Toonster 17 Nov 2012 10:35:54 6,845 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For each console I had, I probably had 6-8 games. Was 8 or 9 when I got the N64, 11 when I got the Gamecube. I remember having to save up for the N64, but beyond that, my parents normally bought me the games, usually for birthday/holiday season/so I'd stop fucking complaining.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• jonsaan 17 Nov 2012 10:45:22 25,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to get an Atari game for my birthday. So about one year!

At the earliest oppotunity I got a job and spent all my money on Spectrum games.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 17 November 2012 10:45:25
    Parents shouldn't buy their kids lots of games, encourage them into a more productive hobby and not one that over stimulates them and makes them not want to interact. Too many parents use it to shut them up and also seem oblivious to the content of the game.
    My kids won't be playing games for years and when they will be allowed it will be hour tops a day and more suitable games. Certainly no console in their own room.
  • dominalien 17 Nov 2012 10:47:14 7,065 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's safe to say my parents haven't bought me a single game.

First, because there were no games to buy when I was a child, and second because my mother believed games were the root of all evil.

PSN: DonOsito

• DUFFMAN5 17 Nov 2012 10:48:17 15,395 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remeber getting paperboy,space harrier,720, jack the nipper II, cauldron 2 and maybe Leaderboard II for my C64 one year* and I used to buy the codemasters £1:99 rangs weekly, like Park ranger

*This may have been over a couple of years...it was a very long time ago ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• jonsaan 17 Nov 2012 10:52:04 25,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @revan8 i can't agree with that. My kids play minecraft with all their friends. They are extremely creative and have a level of interaction that is frankly amazing. I much prefer them doing that than being mindless football drones learning to swear and snag a girlfriend before their time.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 17 November 2012 10:53:34
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I remeber getting paperboy,space harrier,720, jack the nipper II, cauldron 2 and maybe Leaderboard II for my C64 one year* and I used to buy the codemasters £1:99 rangs weekly, like Park ranger

*This may have been over a couple of years...it was a very long time ago ;)
    Yeah we had a similar pack, but it came with rainbow, bobble boblle, a simpson game and a couple others, i think lotus being one of them. Also had that batman side on view game.
  • superdelphinus 17 Nov 2012 10:53:51 8,126 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not many, rich but posh. Shitloads of books and things like mechano but not a lot of games. A lot of games in the early days were tapes off magazines
  • superdelphinus 17 Nov 2012 10:54:42 8,126 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm the opposite with my 5 year old though, I buy her a lot of random games on impulse or for some sort of reward. Last one was f1 race stars which she absolutely loves
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 11:00:04
    I saved up my pocket-money for months to buy a NES but my folks bought me a C64. Seemed to buy far more games for C64 (largely because they were a few quid and generally easier to find in the local shops where I lived as a lad).

I tend to buy my son a few games that he really wants (mostly LEGO ones tbh) but he has a vast collection of 360,PSP, PS2 games from both my side and the ex's side of the family.

The nice thing is that my son plays games that I buy for myself, such as Trials, 'Spolsion Man and Minecraft etc so don't see those as excessive spending on his gaming collection, rather a combined source of fun :)
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 11:00:53
    jonsaan wrote:
    @revan8 i can't agree with that. My kids play minecraft with all their friends. They are extremely creative and have a level of interaction that is frankly amazing. I much prefer them doing that than being mindless football drones learning to swear and snag a girlfriend before their time.
    Its a balancing act, and i think revan was trying to get that across in his post. But i agree, i be happy with them playing games like that, or little big planet. Co-op games i can see working well as well. But i agree with revan that i would limit there playtime, and have a strict policy of what they can't and can play.

He has a point, in that where i work, there are a couple of kids, everytime, hooked onto that DS's. I don't think i ever seen them without it.
  • Trafford 17 Nov 2012 11:03:10 5,971 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Yeah, huge Minecraft scene in my kids school.
    They're all on it.
  • jonsaan 17 Nov 2012 11:07:06 25,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do agree partially though. Everything in moderation.

Regimented time annoys me though. The best way to get your kids doing something else is to engage with them. Just start playing with lego for instance and they will soon turn up.

Also. Revan is lady btw.

Edited by jonsaan at 11:07:34 17-11-2012

Edited by jonsaan at 11:08:42 17-11-2012

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 17 November 2012 11:18:52
    Thanks jonsaan.

Nothing wrong with minecraft, lbp, Mario kart etc but still no more than sixty minutes a day and only after all homework etc done.

My girls still not played any games, they only 4, they want to but no chance yet. Hate handhelds even more, just shove the kids on a ds at family events etc. Tsk tsk.
  • jonsaan 17 Nov 2012 11:29:08 25,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Each to his own, but my wife and I are not into that whole military approach to our children's lives. So many of their friends have their entire lives mapped out for them. Mainly with clubs etc. that the parents decided they would 'enjoy'. I am bit hippy in that respect I suppose. I let my kids chose how to spend their spare time, and guide where I feel intervention is necessary. My eldest disappears off on his bike for hours on end. As long as he's back before dark it's all good.

FCUTA!

• Syrette 17 Nov 2012 11:36:03 44,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One for my birthday, one for Christmas.

• Syrette 17 Nov 2012 11:36:29 44,216 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• jonsaan 17 Nov 2012 11:38:51 25,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I managed to blag Basic Math outside of my birthday once....:(

I used to hire a lot of games from the Video Inn in Purley too:D

FCUTA!

• BillMurray 17 Nov 2012 11:42:52 7,905 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only Christmas and birthdays. The rest of the time I would rent games whenever I could with what pocket money I had.
  • Vortex808 17 Nov 2012 11:42:53 7,580 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think my folks only ever gave me Super Zaxxon (ok) and Elite \o/ for my C64. They did help buy the C64 for me though after I had saved up some towards it to show I *really* wanted one!

I'm not sure they bought me too many other games, though I may have been given some money at birthday/xmas to frtter on games.

Like Duffman, mastertronic, and latterly firebird, were a godsend to this young gamer, with so many cheaper games to choose from.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2012 11:45:58
    It is nothing to do with mapping a life out it is responsible parenting. Just giving them a ds and saying have fun is terrible. Same as allowing my kids to drink loads, do drugs and have sex in my house "because at least I know what they are doing".
    They will play games if they want but not on their terms. Will be awesome playing 4 player halo 11 co op :)
  • drhcnip 17 Nov 2012 11:46:34 2,651 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    none, apart from the binatone master system with light gun they bought me one xmas

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2008/10/15/binatone-tv-master/

i bought my own vic 20 after that & either the mastertronic 1.99 games or programmed my own with books from the library

my 12 yr old plays games, mainly on pc, like minecraft, terraria, sims 3 etc. but the majority of that has been with birthday money or as a reward for a decent report etc...she also has a 3ds which she rarely plays and there's my ps3 and 360 in the house but, again, she rarely plays them now - did more as a kid

but very little has ever been bought 'off the cuff'
  • Doomspoon 17 Nov 2012 13:04:33 2,514 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got given a C64 for Christmas to share with my brother in '84, I was 8 and he was 12. I was given Kikstart as my choice of game to play on Xmas eve but I can't recall what he was given. For my birthday in '90 I was bought a GameBoy, I think I was given Kwirk for it as an Xmas present in '92. Other than that all other games I bought for myself or were gifts from friends as generally my parents preferred not to buy me video games. My games collection as a child and teen was mostly funded by my paper round and the Xmas tips I received on it and my Saturday job.

edit: When saving for my Amiga, my mum volunteered a loan of the last quarter of the funding when I'd reached £300 as she was impressed that I'd committed my entire £50-odd per month Saturday job pay towards it.

Edited by Doomspoon at 13:09:50 17-11-2012
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous