PS3 neck and neck with Xbox 360 at 70 million consoles sold worldwide Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 10:14:13 41,872 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Not worth, but its very strong indicator of popularity, which is an interesting stat in itself.
    More Toyota Corollas were sold than Ferrari 250 GTOs. While that does make the former a more 'popular' car in the literal sense, it tells precious little else.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• L0cky 16 Nov 2012 10:16:08 1,442 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My tv outsold a similar model by a competitor by 3 million units.

Then again I don't use the leading brand of shampoo :(

/yesnonsense
  • oceanmotion 16 Nov 2012 11:14:48 15,251 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a more interesting fact was the one Microsoft mentioned the other day about the number of people playing multiplayer on Xbox Live every week, 9.4 million.

The Gold sub makes them good money but it locks out far too many of their user base and I imagine media companies wouldn't be happy with a small slice of total users to access.
  • Benno 16 Nov 2012 11:27:01 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Benno wrote:
    Not worth, but its very strong indicator of popularity, which is an interesting stat in itself.
    More Toyota Corollas were sold than Ferrari 250 GTOs. While that does make the former a more 'popular' car in the literal sense, it tells precious little else.
    What a stupid example. Only if Sony manufactured less than a hundred PS3s would that example be even remotely relevant.

Its not a perfect proxy, but sales is an absolutely fine measure of popularity for same-gen consoles, as much as I hate having the Wii's success slapped in my face.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 11:32:09 41,872 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fine, OK. There have been roughly the same number of BMW E36 3 series saloon cars sold as there have Land Rover Discovery Series 1 4x4s, over the same period.

I guess they're equally popular. Wow. What else can we conclude? That they are interchangeable, that they made the same amount of money for BMW and Landrover, that their owners are equally happy with their purchase?

• LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 11:34:25 41,872 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, and the Fiesta sold more than both over the same period. That would be the Wii. So the Fiesta is the most popular. Is it the best one to own? Or the most profitable for its company? Or is there anything useful we can conclude about it, other than it sold more units?

• Benno 16 Nov 2012 11:40:48 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That its the most popular.
  • Gambit1977 16 Nov 2012 11:43:24 9,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Owners and attach rates are totally different kettles of fish.

The fact everyone through their wii's in cupboards collecting dust forced Nintendos hand to release a new console as it was dying up rapidly.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 12:09:15 41,872 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My point is, what does 'the most popular' tell us?

In a nutshell, the Wii sold the most, and so therefore it is the console that sold the most. The PS3 and the 360 sold the same number of units, and so they each sold the same number of units as each other.

Staggering intel.

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 12:11:50
    Trying really hard LB for what ever reason.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 12:17:37 41,872 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surprised you've got time to post and stay one step ahead of PETA.

• Benno 16 Nov 2012 15:22:17 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    My point is, what does 'the most popular' tell us?

In a nutshell, the Wii sold the most, and so therefore it is the console that sold the most. The PS3 and the 360 sold the same number of units, and so they each sold the same number of units as each other.

Staggering intel.
    Yeah I do agree with your points about it not being the most useful statistic.

Off the top of my head though, I imagine it tells you a lot about your market demographic. For example if the Land Rover is more popular than the BMW, then perhaps car buyers are more interested in driving off road in the country? If the Wii is the most popular console then that suggests the market prefers shit casual family living room gaming.

Sounds like very useful information. And you can bet all the console manufacturers have spent a lot of time looking at what has been 'popular' this gen to predict what is going to be 'popular' next gen.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Nov 2012 15:27:39 41,872 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If the Land Rover is as popular as the BMW, it suggests as many people are arseholes as are offroaders.

I guess in the long term it does mean everyone will build Fiestas. Just not sure where 'consoles 2 and 3 in a market of 3 are neck and neck' gets us.

Ah fuck it, it's Friday. Good stats everyone!

• lazymanschair 16 Nov 2012 16:03:31 27 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good for them, I've loved both, theyve both provided very different exclusive experiences, and I've divided any multiplatform games between the two. I just hope this guarantees a next gen sony machine(Im sure this is a definate anyway), what with all the financial woes, this can only help.
  • megastar 16 Nov 2012 16:34:35 17,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, does this mean that the majority of Wii owners drive Land Rovers then?

I'm confused?
  • LetsGo 16 Nov 2012 17:20:12 5,074 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't compare the Wii with the PS3/360, different tech and different gen.

Hell, lets include the vTech consoles as well,.
  • ResidentKnievel 16 Nov 2012 17:25:25 5,879 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If a console you own is doing well, it usually means more games will be developed for it.

Like the Dreamcast didn't sell well, so Shenmue 3 was never developed for it.

The Vita isn't doing too well, so there's no point buying one for future games that'll realise its potential.

The Wii sold staggeringly well, so we've seen loads of great gam...no, wait.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• SlackMaster 16 Nov 2012 17:30:41 3,132 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    megastar wrote:

I'm confused?
    Volvo's surely?

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• Gambit1977 16 Nov 2012 17:33:52 9,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    megastar wrote:

I'm confused?
    Volvo's surely?
    Fisher price or wheelchairs, surely?
  • SlackMaster 16 Nov 2012 17:34:34 3,132 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well it's good to know as it means that both companies should remain competitive and not rest on their laurels.

• SlackMaster 16 Nov 2012 17:36:58 3,132 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    SlackMaster wrote:
    megastar wrote:

I'm confused?
    Volvo's surely?
    Fisher price or wheelchairs, surely?
    Fisher price, and don't call me Surely. *Gets coat*

• Gambit1977 16 Nov 2012 17:37:33 9,568 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :lol:
  • Rens11 16 Nov 2012 21:57:02 1,256 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    So that means 235 Million Consoles have been sold so far this gen compared to 199 Million by the end of this gen. WIth at least a year to go that's quite a decent increase.
    This gen has gone on for longer though without new hardware

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Triggerhappytel 16 Nov 2012 22:24:11 2,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    Credit to Sony, they really turned around a botched launch and some terrible PR decisions. Hopefully, this gen, they've learnt some humility. Their attitude and direction around 2005 was horrendous - Lik Sang for instance :(.
    Yeah, I agree with this. They were crazily arrogant in the PS2 era, and ever since then they've been playing catch-up. Hopefully they've learnt to never underestimate your opposition. I think it's been an interesting generation in a lot of ways.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next