Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 19

• Page

of 31 First / Last

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 00:22:49
    graysonavich wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    It does a hell of a lot and will last a hell of a lot longer than a graphics card though!
    Based on your wild unfounded assumptions? For someone with no interest in PC components, it might be worth focusing your monthly boredom brain farts into something more constructive.
    Wild unfounded assumptions? I can safely say that a £450 Xbox one for example is going to do a hell of a lot more than a £450 graphics card. There is no opinion going on here I'm just pointing out some painfully obvious facts because frankly it is fucking funny watching you get wound up so easily.
  • DodgyPast 14 Oct 2013 02:18:41 8,538 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    It does a hell of a lot and will last a hell of a lot longer than a graphics card though!
    Based on your wild unfounded assumptions? For someone with no interest in PC components, it might be worth focusing your monthly boredom brain farts into something more constructive.
    Wild unfounded assumptions? I can safely say that a £450 Xbox one for example is going to do a hell of a lot more than a £450 graphics card. There is no opinion going on here I'm just pointing out some painfully obvious facts because frankly it is fucking funny watching you get wound up so easily.
    No, you're trolling in a rather predictable and boring fashion... Trying to be smug about it now makes you look pretty pathetic.

Probably most people would prefer something else, but for a few the graphics card is better value for money.... nVidia seem to be doing pretty well selling products like those.
  • Phattso Moderator 14 Oct 2013 02:21:41 13,940 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you have a decent enough base PC, and you're faced with dropping four bar on a new GPU or the same on a next gen console (give or take) then I think the higher resolutions, locked 60fps, and maximum graphical fidelity might easily be more worth it than a console to some people.

Back in the good ol' days I remember spending £350 (that I really didn't have spare, natch) on a graphics card, and it was fucking lush.
  • beastmaster 15 Oct 2013 11:08:52 11,993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do you think that the latest hardware on PS4 (less so One) will see a significant change in PC hardware over the next few months?

I'm looking at getting myself a rig but I think there PC hardware landscape will change a fair bit quite soon.

Then again, I could always replace anything as and when I needed :-)

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• FutileResistor 15 Oct 2013 15:22:31 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No. The CPUs in the new consoles are seriously underpowered and will be a bottleneck to start with. Devs will need time to take full advantage of multi-core game design to compensate. Even with an optimised multi-threaded game going full pelt with eight-cores, the computing power on offer is not on par with a core i3. In practice, one or two cores will be reserved for the OS, so from a CPU raw processing power point of view, the new consoles will always be underpowered.

In time, devs will start to get better at multi-threading their game design and the lack of CPU power will be less of an issue, or the Unity/Unreal tech teams will build multi-threading into their engines. This is at least a year down the line though.

In short if you have at least a 3GHz dual core CPU from the last 5 years and a 7850 level GPU, I think you should be fine for a couple of years. If you're buying new parts, go for a quad core and 2GB+ GPU for a certain amount of future-proofing. AMD's mantle puts a little fly in the ointment when choosing a card but Nvidia will no doubt come up with their own equivalent.
  • Gartt 18 Oct 2013 13:41:37 1,849 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    See the toms hardware 290x sneak peak? beating out a 780 and hints at parity with a titan. Pricing is going to be key, those 280x cards look like incredible value.
  • MaxHughes 19 Oct 2013 11:32:17 449 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone got any experience with mSATA drives? I'm thinking of getting a 30GB one to possibly put Win7 on freeing up some space on my 128GB SSD.

If any of that is even possible!

XBone: Sp00ner88 Twitter: M_H88

• PenguinJim 19 Oct 2013 11:45:04 6,010 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    no
  • teamHAM 21 Oct 2013 18:50:37 3,153 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am thinking about dumping some cash on a new PC. I have a laptop at the moment and it can run WoW and other low intensity games but anything more and its a shitshow.

This machine would be a replacement for the PS4 as I'm thinking I'll get a lot more bang for my buck with my Steam library and current PC games that I own etc etc.

Therefore I'm looking for something that will play almost anything on high settings at 1080p, so I'm guessing something like the GTX770. On top of this I want 8GB RAM at least, a decent processor and I will also want to throw in an SSD too.

I was looking at building something myself but I also found this which seems to be decent for what I need. Every time I try to price up the components separately it comes out more expensive than the price of this one.

Am I doing it wrong or should I just buy pre-built?

Any advice is appreciated.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• captbirdseye 21 Oct 2013 19:06:29 5,467 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd ditch the Nvidia card for a 7970 or 280x as the performance is more or less the same and you save quite a bit of money as well. Also, stay away from 2gb cards as the norm going forward is a 3gb. Rest of the parts look pretty good but I'd pretty sure you could save a few quid buying it all seperate.

Edited by captbirdseye at 19:08:06 21-10-2013
  • TVoJ 21 Oct 2013 19:13:03 2,040 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never buy pre-built, you obviously know enough to be able to throw a system together.

You NEED an SSD. Don't get more than 8GB Ram. It's pointless unless you plan on doing graphics work or video editing.

I bought a GTX660ti 2 months ago and I've thrown everything new at it, on max settings no problem.

Edited by TVoJ at 19:13:34 21-10-2013
  • teamHAM 21 Oct 2013 19:52:23 3,153 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did build my own machine many moons ago. I'm guessing not much has changed.

I still need the following I'm guessing:

- Case

- PSU
    550/600W ish I'm guessing

- Motherboard

- Processor
    match the processor and motherboard socket type or something, right?

- RAM
    8GB of good stuff. Corsair Vengeance maybe?

- SSD
    Samsung Evo 840 256GB maybe

- HDD
    A 7200rpm drive

- GPU
    I was thinking GTX770 but anything that can play D3, WoW, Dark Souls, FSX, GTAV when it comes, Skyrim, and other run of the mill games at 1080p60 with high settings

- Fans and Water Cooling
    Corsair H80i or something?

- Optical Drive
    Some Blu-Ray Drive

- Sound Card/Networking/WiFi (or is that all on the Mobo these days?)

- OS
    Windows 7 HP probably. Can't stand 8

I was also wondering if it would be possible to build a decent machine from the BitFenix Prodigy case (mini ATX I think it is), or whether all that stuff wouldn't fit in there (esp with water cooling). I'm also not supremely confident of spotting the correct mini ATX versions of everything.

I keep getting told I could build it myself for under a grand, but could I really, with good quality components? Or will I be scrimping. What I need is someone to (gently) nudge me in the right direction.

• captbirdseye 21 Oct 2013 20:02:41 5,467 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    I did build my own machine many moons ago. I'm guessing not much has changed.

I still need the following I'm guessing:

- Case

I generally go for Coolmaster ones

- PSU
    550/600W ish I'm guessing

600w is fine for single card but if you wan't xfire or sli then 750w is the best.

- Motherboard

- Processor
    match the processor and motherboard socket type or something, right?

- RAM
    8GB of good stuff. Corsair Vengeance maybe?

Yeah fine or maybe pick up one in the weekly deals on Overclockers or Scan

- SSD
    Samsung Evo 840 256GB maybe

Yeah perfect SSD

- HDD
    A 7200rpm drive

- GPU
    I was thinking GTX770 but anything that can play D3, WoW, Dark Souls, FSX, GTAV when it comes, Skyrim, and other run of the mill games at 1080p60 with high settings

Get a 3gb card in order to future proof otherwise you'll be changing that card in 12 months. You can get a 2gb 770 for £290 or a 3gb 280x for 240.

- Fans and Water Cooling
    Corsair H80i or something?

Not keen on water cooling myself and prefer high end fans

- Optical Drive
    Some Blu-Ray Drive

Do you really need this?

- Sound Card/Networking/WiFi (or is that all on the Mobo these days?)

Keep with mobo

- OS
    Windows 7 HP probably. Can't stand 8

I was also wondering if it would be possible to build a decent machine from the BitFenix Prodigy case (mini ATX I think it is), or whether all that stuff wouldn't fit in there (esp with water cooling). I'm also not supremely confident of spotting the correct mini ATX versions of everything.

I keep getting told I could build it myself for under a grand, but could I really, with good quality components? Or will I be scrimping. What I need is someone to (gently) nudge me in the right direction.
    Edited by captbirdseye at 20:03:48 21-10-2013
  • Fake_Blood 21 Oct 2013 20:11:09 4,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a bitfenix prodigy with an I5/GTX 780 SC and a H80i cooler.
    It all fits nicely, the mobo is mini-ITX, so only one PCI-E slot for the GTX but that is the only limitation.
  • teamHAM 22 Oct 2013 21:32:51 3,153 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @captbirdseye

Thanks for the responses.

You said get a 3GB card, this one a decent buy? People seem to be saying the R9 280x is a good buy and it's 3GB. £229 aswell.

Edited by teamHAM at 21:33:20 22-10-2013

• PenguinJim 23 Oct 2013 02:37:42 6,010 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Recommending 3GB on the graphics card is still quite controversial - especially if you're only running at 1080P. :p I'm not saying that it's necessarily a bad recommendation, but I am pretty sure that saying you'll need to replace the GPU in 12 months if you have less than 3GB is bollocks!

AMD have been two or three percent ahead of nvidia in price/performance for a few years now, but the advantages of a nvidia card still outweigh that tenner, IMO: decent driver support, actual Linux support (which used to be a niche selling point, but with SteamOS now announced it's safe to say that 'if you get an AMD card you'll be changing it in 12 months' ;)), Gsync, and fewer micro-stuttering issues (which may link back to the AMD driver issues). Also remember that the "280X" is a rebadged 7970, which is years old and heavily-squeezed, while driver updates will continue to improve the GTX 760/770 performance.

If you're not in a hurry and you can stomach the vultures at HUKD, you might want to keep tabs on their computing deals section, and pick up bargain components one by one over about a month. GTX 770s have dropped as low as £277, but that doesn't put them in Bargain Town yet - at least, not until October 28th, when the nvidia games bundle will change from Batman: Arkham Origins to Assassin's Creed IV, Batman: Arkham Origins and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Maybe "overkill" is too strong a word, but a GTX 770 at 1080P is certainly a heck of a lot of future-proofing! You could also consider getting a £150ish card and replacing it every year while selling the old one for £140ish. Less initial cash outlay and less depreciation on your investment while keeping at the cutting edge of feature support.
  • TVoJ 23 Oct 2013 08:24:07 2,040 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bollocks. He's on about spending under a grand. Spend anything near that without getting an SSD and you've just made a huge mistake.
  • FutileResistor 24 Oct 2013 08:04:04 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @teamHAM

Sorry if this is a bit late. I've not checked the hardware thread this week.

Kingston Hyper X Red 8GB(2x4GB) £50 Amazon
    Intel Core i5-4670K £170 Scan
    MSI Z87-G41 £75 Aria PC
    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Amazon £74
    Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB £56 Aria PC
    MSI Radeon HD 7950 £175 Scan
    Cooler Master K280 Case £33 Aria PC
    Corsair CX 430W V2 PSU £38 Amazon
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit £66 Aria PC

So about £735 + probably £10-15 delivery.

First things first, I would buy that RAM now because it will probably go out of stock pretty quickly. It's expensive compared to what we were paying about 7 months ago but a bargain right now.

You could knock about £70 off by getting an i5-4430 + B85 Chipset motherboard if you don't intend to overclock. You can get a decent overclock on just the stock cooler, and if you're just playing games, it's debatable that you will need to overclock your CPU at all.

I'm a little reticent to recommend Samsung's EVO because I'm ticked off with Samsung using cheap TLC NAND for the 840 series, reserving the standard and better MLC (up to 3 times more program/erase cycles than TLC) for the more expensive PRO line when everyone else uses MLC as standard. However it is quite good value for one of the best performing SSDs on the market, if you're not worried about the shorter life of TLC it's a good drive.

If you're gaming at 1080p, you really don't need a £230 GPU. A 7950 or a GTX 760 (£180 at dabs), if you prefer Nvidia, will play pretty much everything maxed out at decent frame rates.

This system will draw under 340W at peak even with overclocking it is not going to get much over 360W. A decent 430w PSU is more than adequate to power this system and the Corsair is a good PSU.

Yes, you can build a good gaming PC yourself with good components for well under £1000.

Edited by FutileResistor at 08:47:07 24-10-2013
  • teamHAM 24 Oct 2013 08:11:20 3,153 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FutileResistor

Wow, thanks for all your input, it helps a great deal.

• FutileResistor 24 Oct 2013 08:43:21 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh forgot to say if you're thinking of getting a better GPU than the 7950 or 760 I recommended. The 280x is far far better value than a 770. It's basically within 3-5% performance of a 770 for about £50 to £80 less. The one you linked to is a MSI Twin Frozr, which if past experience holds true, should be a very good card.

Edited by FutileResistor at 08:44:51 24-10-2013
  • beastmaster 24 Oct 2013 09:06:40 11,993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Opinions of the Scan 3XS systems? Looks as though I'll end up getting one off the shelf as they look good. Also prefer Scan as a company to Overclockers.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• rtk79 24 Oct 2013 12:29:15 496 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick question: I'd like to double my current RAM, but the sticks are currently use seem to be sold out / unavailable / not manufactured anymore (bought them with the PC about three years ago). I've noticed the brand (GSkill, as it happens) sells a similar specced remplacement. The only apparent difference between the two seems to be the item identification number. Can I expect the two to work together faultlessly?

Edited by rtk79 at 12:29:48 24-10-2013
  • Buztafen 24 Oct 2013 12:42:36 16,531 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Opinions of the Scan 3XS systems? Looks as though I'll end up getting one off the shelf as they look good. Also prefer Scan as a company to Overclockers.
    Scan's systems are good from my experience, if a little more expensive than other e-tailers. We have loads of 3XS systems at work which we punish with 24/7 processing. Generally medium to high quality parts and if something goes wrong with in the warranty they're normally very good at replacing parts promptly.
  • THFourteen 24 Oct 2013 12:44:35 34,471 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Scan, never bought a pre-built system but both of my last 2 PCs had a large number of parts from them, customer service and delivery were always spot on, and in one instance they even upgraded my motherboard for free because the version that i wanted wasn't available by the release date they gave me over the phone
  • teamHAM 24 Oct 2013 12:53:57 3,153 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Oh forgot to say if you're thinking of getting a better GPU than the 7950 or 760 I recommended. The 280x is far far better value than a 770. It's basically within 3-5% performance of a 770 for about £50 to £80 less. The one you linked to is a MSI Twin Frozr, which if past experience holds true, should be a very good card.
    What about this whole drivers thing that people are mentioning? If the drivers are so much better and more frequent for the 770 won't that negate the price difference? With the laptop I have now the newest driver for the graphics card is Jan 2013. I don't want to buy a new card then get no support for it.

I have priced up an R9 280x and a GTX770 and the cash is there ready to be blown but I want to make sure I get the balance right. Future proofing somewhat but also good support and not costing the earth.

Edited by teamHAM at 12:54:40 24-10-2013

• PenguinJim 24 Oct 2013 13:08:45 6,010 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not like AMD card drivers are terrible, terrible, life-destroying value-annihilating demons that suck every good thing about the silicon and shit it onto your face. There are some issues for some users, seemingly more so than with nvidia. There's a lack of Linux goodness. Nvidia cards do tend to get faster over time due to driver improvements, while AMD cards tend to have less and less issues over time due to eventual driver fixes.

But it's not black-and-white. Last week I was actively linking to an AMD card that couldn't be touched by anything nvidia had at that price point. There's not a huge amount of difference. Whatever 3% AMD gets ahead with in frames-per-second, nvidia simply claws back in "user experience", but you should be looking more for the fantastic bargain on either company's cards. I suggested nvidia-only earlier on the page only to counterbalance captbirdseye's AMD-only post above it. You can't really go wrong.

Having said all that, nvidia's new games bundle (that starts next Monday) and G-sync support would nudge them ahead again for me next week. :p

Edit: if you're going to buy from Scan, you can get free delivery with enough non-spam posts at the Hexus forums.

Edited by PenguinJim at 13:15:19 24-10-2013
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 13:12:03
    another vote for Scan
  • Page

of 31 First / Last