Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 17

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• Sharzam 28 Aug 2013 08:25:24 2,699 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If the OS is stable but game crashes don't rule out the overclock. If that's the case it just means your right at the limit, a bit more and it would crash so assuming temps are good try increasing the voltage to stabilise. Or dial it right down to check other parts of your system stability.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• orpheus 28 Aug 2013 19:00:35 994 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheRum wrote:
    CPU is overclocked. Can't get to PC at the moment to view event viewer. CPU is i5 3570k, GPU 560ti (not overclocked). No slowdown or blue screen just suddenly BAM! game stops and and it goes back to desktop with windows saying it's trying to find a reason.
    Check for WHEA errors in Event Viewer. If you have them, your overclock is just nudging under the stable voltage level. Push the vcore up a notch or two (watch your temps), then check for WHEA errors again. Repeat til you see no WHEA type errors whatsoever. Prime may not trigger WHEA errors, but you may still get them during gaming, so stable prime does not always mean a stable overclock.

If you've got no WHEA errors, then greater minds than mine will hopefully have some suggestions!
  • Fake_Blood 28 Aug 2013 19:06:32 4,069 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    watch your temps people.
    Easy with teh cranking.
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 08:43:43 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    munki83 wrote:
    Well just about to finalize my order....hate spending this amount of cash in one go :S

final order is

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Case
    Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz
    mobo Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
    Intel Core i5 4670K

Sticking with the stock cooler for now as I'm not planning to overclock it off the bat or if at all :S.

Also went for a slightly more expensive mobo as I'd like the option to go sli even if I dont.

Hopefully all goes well and in a month or so I'll be adding a 760gtx to replace my current 460gtx
    Looks decent, especially once you add the 760. Watch the temps though, even on stock clocks. Download something like RealTemp for a quick, accurate temp reading.

I say this as I'm on the mobo down from that on an i5 3750K (Ivy Bridge), and mine runs hot even with a monster aftermarket cooler. Haswell (the 4xxx series chips, like yours) reportedly runs even hotter. I can't imagine the stock sink coping with an Ivy, let alone a Haswell, but I suppose they must do, or there'd be uproar. Probably nothing to worry about, but worth keeping an eye on :)
    I wold of bought a third party cooler but need money to eat....or do I...I should probably buy food :p. Going to buy a decent cooler next month so no overclocking till then.
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 10:50:09 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thats pretty impressive :D I think I'm going to go for Corsair CW-9060007-WW Hydro which seems like a pretty good cooler. Really can't afford to splurge any more since it's still a good 4 weeks until my next payday
  • Arrr9 29 Aug 2013 11:19:08 401 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Corsair Hydro coolers are fantastic. I had one coupled with an AMD 955 and it never missed a watery beat with temps always being very low. In fact I wish I'd never looked at that Scan page as now I'm tempted to order one for my new pc, despite it running perfectly well on the stock cooler. Silly temptation !
  • Deleted user 29 August 2013 11:31:42
    What sort of power would be needed to run the vr bollocks that is doing the rounds when it goes commercial?
  • PenguinJim 29 Aug 2013 12:26:37 5,757 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    500W should still be plenty, as long as it's a good brand.
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 14:45:51 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got my pc parts now and got stuck straight away the manual for my fractal design r4 case is next to useless. I out in 9 copper raisers into the holes in the case and sent a message to my mate and he mentioned something about washers and the only ones I have are black rubber spacers and there is 12 of them....going to sit quietly for a while and google things
  • Roddles 29 Aug 2013 14:55:03 1,754 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The rubber washers are for drive mounting and not the motherboard spacers.

Edited by Roddles at 15:02:24 29-08-2013
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 15:06:00 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks :). I'm going to have a few more cups of tea then call my mate and call him a useless twat :

Edit:

Ahhh if I read the instructions for additional fans then I would of noticed that the spacers are for fans to stop direct contact. I love everything about the case apart from the lack of instructions.

Edited by munki83 at 15:31:34 29-08-2013
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 15:06:01 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 18:39:02 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Disaster windows is booting to bluescreen of death. Also my dvd drive is old and doesn't have a sata interface but the old enhanced ide cable so no way to reinstall windows tonight. Got a new drove on order
  • graysonavich 29 Aug 2013 18:43:59 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    I love everything about the case apart from the lack of instructions.
    It's a case...
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 20:13:32 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol.....but its really nice and silent.....ok I'll be quiet
  • Roddles 29 Aug 2013 20:14:47 1,754 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    Disaster windows is booting to bluescreen of death. Also my dvd drive is old and doesn't have a sata interface but the old enhanced ide cable so no way to reinstall windows tonight. Got a new drove on order
    Go into the Bios and change all the Sata modes to IDE

Boot up successfully into Windows (safe mode if necessary)

Do this - http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?69682-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

Go back into the Bios and change all back Sata stuff to AHCI

Edited by Roddles at 20:15:02 29-08-2013
  • munki83 29 Aug 2013 21:09:03 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    munki83 wrote:
    Go into the Bios and change all the Sata modes to IDE

Boot up successfully into Windows (safe mode if necessary)

Do this - http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?69682-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

Go back into the Bios and change all back Sata stuff to AHCI
    Maybe I used the wrong terminology. My old dvd drive has an old style ide ribbon serial cable thing which I can't physically connect to my new motherboard :s. Got a new dvd drive on the way from amazon should arrive tomorrow
  • Roddles 29 Aug 2013 22:38:00 1,754 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm fixing your BSOD problem. It's because Windows was installed in IDE mode. All new motherboards default to AHCI mode (which you should be using in 2013).

Follow the all steps above. Do not just boot up in IDE mode and stop there because it's magically working again. You need AHCI mode enabled in both Windows and the bios.

Edited by Roddles at 22:42:35 29-08-2013
  • graysonavich 29 Aug 2013 22:43:08 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wait wait back up...so rubber washers...?
  • munki83 30 Aug 2013 07:50:07 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Roddles Ah I misunderstood you....and you're a legend its booting up :D. I'm still wanting to do a clean install but at least I can boot my pc up and check a few things while waiting for a dvd drive

@graysonavich
    They look like washers but they are spacers for fans to stop vibration noises.

I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice over the last fw weeks while I've been building my first pc from scratch. Luckily its not something I will need to do again for a long while :D
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Aug 2013 07:57:20 13,199 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hard to go wrong with the R4 case? The box all the screws and washers come in has pictures of all the screws and washers and text explaining what they are. Glad you got there in the end though!

Everyone that sees it says "blimey that's MASSIVE!" which sort of surprises me. I had a Thermaltake tower monstrosity a few years back... now THAT was a big case. This sleek little thing sitting in the corner of the room barely even registers for me. I put a plant on top, it sort of looks like a side table. :)
  • munki83 30 Aug 2013 08:12:25 1,397 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My old case is a coolmaster 330 so the R4 looks big compared to it. The R4 won me over with a good demonstration video on youtube and some excellent reviews from various sites. Not sure I want to put it on my glass pc table as it may snap it cos it weighs as much as a small elephant :p
  • Roddles 30 Aug 2013 08:52:27 1,754 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have to agree that it is a big case. I was previously using a Coolermaster Elite 334U and the R4 is quite a bit bigger in every dimension.

It bothered me at first, but now it's on the floor I don't even really notice it (nor care).
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Aug 2013 08:59:33 13,199 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh - I'm just overjoyed that it's silent for all intents and purposes. Heavy bastard, as you guys say, though. Hernia inducing to move it around.
  • Gartt 30 Aug 2013 11:38:00 1,735 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My R4 is actually smaller and lighter than my last case! I had this old beastly antec before, was the size of a small fridge!
  • Kovacs77 1 Sep 2013 16:31:03 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just about to shell out on this lot -

EVGA GTX770 Superclocked (bargain at Scan just now, 307 with Arkham Origins)
    i5 4670
    Asus Z87-A
    Corsair Carbide 300R case

Any thoughts / advice? I think I'm getting about the best 'bang for buck' with the CPU and GPU choice. I'm coming from an AMD Phenom II, so I did consider saving some money by sticking with Socket AM3 and getting an FX8320 but I'm wanting this build as futureproof as I can afford.

(--I'm trying to avoid thinking that I could almost afford two PS4s for the same money!)
  • Kovacs77 1 Sep 2013 16:47:41 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Kovacs77 1 Sep 2013 16:48:09 364 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    TheRum wrote:
    CPU is overclocked. Can't get to PC at the moment to view event viewer. CPU is i5 3570k, GPU 560ti (not overclocked). No slowdown or blue screen just suddenly BAM! game stops and and it goes back to desktop with windows saying it's trying to find a reason.
    Check for WHEA errors in Event Viewer. If you have them, your overclock is just nudging under the stable voltage level. Push the vcore up a notch or two (watch your temps), then check for WHEA errors again. Repeat til you see no WHEA type errors whatsoever. Prime may not trigger WHEA errors, but you may still get them during gaming, so stable prime does not always mean a stable overclock.

If you've got no WHEA errors, then greater minds than mine will hopefully have some suggestions!
    My 560ti started doing that a few months ago, exactly the same issue and error message. It seemed to have started after I updated Java, so as a long shot I used System Restore to take me back a few days previous, and it started working again. Since then I've avoided updating Java and the problem has never come back. It's probably completely unrelated to Java but it's worth trying System Restore.
  • Roddles 2 Sep 2013 09:03:54 1,754 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    Just about to shell out on this lot -

EVGA GTX770 Superclocked (bargain at Scan just now, 307 with Arkham Origins)
    i5 4670
    Asus Z87-A
    Corsair Carbide 300R case

Any thoughts / advice? I think I'm getting about the best 'bang for buck' with the CPU and GPU choice. I'm coming from an AMD Phenom II, so I did consider saving some money by sticking with Socket AM3 and getting an FX8320 but I'm wanting this build as futureproof as I can afford.

(--I'm trying to avoid thinking that I could almost afford two PS4s for the same money!)
    You'll want the i5-4670K as that can be overclocked. The non K version cannot. You can quite easily overclock to 4.2Ghz.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last