Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 12

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• FutileResistor 20 May 2013 12:50:59 1,220 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think I should remind everyone that Intel's new Haswell desktop CPUs are due in June, so if you're not desperate it's certainly worth holding out for a couple of weeks.
  • Widge Moderator 20 May 2013 12:56:17 13,259 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Phattso Ok!

Well everything pretty much was based around the box. This:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=261&area=en

comes with a PSU built in and the ability to take full length cards. It also offered more space than the SG05 but has been superseded but newer models now I think.

Has a fan high/low switch on the back (which stays on low). The card draws air in through its vents and deposits out the back, a large fan on the top keeps the CPU area cool.

Once I had that, it was just a case of getting the bits to stick in it as I wanted.

I had a MSI 660 Twin Frozr already, so that was always going to be the card. Near silent with no audible change between gaming and idle. One thing to note, these cards seem to have a large heatpipe that runs down the edge of one side. I actually had to remove a bit of plastic from the SG07's lid that let me put it back on. Luckily that was just a simple unscrew job but I panicked for a bit.

Got this mobo:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-417-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2071

Whatever DDR3 ram appeared to be a good bargain at the time (ignoring the ridiculous heatsink ones).

And I think one of these with a stock fan suited my just fine:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-418-IN&groupid=701&catid=6

Outside of that, got the Samsung 840 250GB HDD stuck in. Spent a while making sure everything was tidy inside when building (which was a little effort, but not too much), and then that was done!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• MrTomFTW Moderator 20 May 2013 13:30:09 37,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    I think I should remind everyone that Intel's new Haswell desktop CPUs are due in June, so if you're not desperate it's certainly worth holding out for a couple of weeks.
    Tempting, but bound to be even more expensive.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Bremenacht 20 May 2013 15:38:37 17,613 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Tempting, but bound to be even more expensive.
    Yes, but you might see some price drops on older stuff when Haswell gets to retail.
  • INSOMANiAC 23 May 2013 06:14:12 3,829 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahh my old thread still going strong! Well to update you all as I know you were concerned, the PC is still going nicely and I do all of my (Non handheld/iOS, obviously) gaming on it now. I cant see me going back to another console, certainly not the XBone. and I think that a lot of people are going to turn to PC's, if someone can produce a steambox for the equivalent power and price of an XBone its lift off!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Rhythm 23 May 2013 09:16:03 2,463 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Need a new PC but really haven't got much cash to throw at one. Are AMD A10 systems OK? I know a dedicated card would be better but I presume I could upgrade later if needed? Some of the footage I've seen on Youtube of people running Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 seems to indicate the A10 will handle games reasonably well (even if that's not really the main reason for me buying)...
  • Armoured_Bear 23 May 2013 09:33:14 10,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Need a new PC but really haven't got much cash to throw at one. Are AMD A10 systems OK? I know a dedicated card would be better but I presume I could upgrade later if needed? Some of the footage I've seen on Youtube of people running Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 seems to indicate the A10 will handle games reasonably well (even if that's not really the main reason for me buying)...
    What's your budget, gaming resolution, what games do you want to play, what do you have now?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Sandbox 23 May 2013 09:35:58 339 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The A10 is great, but is about to be replaced next month, so I would hang on, as although you probably won't get a much better CPU (usually 5-10% per generation), it should come with a even better GPU.

FM2 is an excellent platform.
  • FutileResistor 23 May 2013 11:18:12 1,220 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:

As Sandbox says I would wait, basically all the CPUs are coming out next month from both AMD and Intel. But as Armoured_Bear indicated, we need a bit more information before we can give more specific advice.

On the one hand, the A10 is great for an ultra-budget build, but an Intel G2020 + Radeon 7750 would outperform it in current games for about the same price. However, if devs actually start coding games to take advantage of quad core because of the Next-Gen consoles, (and let's face it, they'll have to because the single core CPU performance of the APU in both the the XBox and PS4 is pitiful) the A10 might turn out to be the better bet for new games in a couple of years.

If you go the A10 route, bear in mind that unlike almost all other CPUs where RAM speed makes little difference, the GPU part of the APU in the A10 do actually perform better with faster RAM.

A10-5800K Gaming Performance vs RAM Speed

A quick search at Ebuyer shows that RAM prices have literally dropped virtually overnight almost back down to the prices before the jump.

G.Skill 8GB DDR3 2133MHz RipjawsX for 55 would be perfect for the A10.

Edited by FutileResistor at 11:20:26 23-05-2013
  • Rhythm 23 May 2013 12:05:31 2,463 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    What's your budget, gaming resolution, what games do you want to play, what do you have now?
    Budget - cheapest I can
    Gaming resolution - depends what screen I buy, probably no more than 1080p though
    Games - not really bothered, I mostly arse about in indie stuff but if my PC could run it I'd try more advanced stuff I guess
    Currently running a Core2Duo laptop with Intel GMA graphics, basically want a system that won't spaz out whenever I try to run builds in Unity
  • Rhythm 23 May 2013 12:08:25 2,463 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers guys. Although I've posted this in the "games PC" section I'm really not buying with playing in mind, more developing. The A10 sounded like an ideal all-in-one solution (and still does) but as I'm buying the bits slowly over the next couple of months I may hang on to see what's next on that line
  • bradchap 18 Jun 2013 23:53:52 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I also need a little bit of help building a gaming pc, I'm not super advanced with some of the skills needed to put together a pc but i'm trying to learn all I can. I found this video on youtube youtube building gaming pc because people say you can learn to do anything by watching a video on youtube. I was curious what some of you more advanced people thought of the video and if it's a good source for me to use or not? Any feedback would be great, thanks!

Edited by bradchap at 23:54:16 18-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 19 Jun 2013 00:16:06 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't watched it, but usually the process is quite simple and everything goes into one particular place as in the manual.

The most complex bits are usually just the screwing in of parts and getting the ram in without putting too much pressure on it.

Don't forget to take socks off and touch a radiator or similar earthed object first.
  • FutileResistor 19 Jun 2013 00:50:01 1,220 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @bradchap

The video you linked to is more a discussion about parts for a gaming pc build to a specific budget.

Something like this which actually shows the building process would be more useful for a first time builder.

Hardware Revolution is a good place to start for an idea about parts but even a dedicated site has a hard job keeping up with the latest components.

If you come back with a budget and more detail about what you want the PC to be able to do, we can give you specific advice about what bits you should buy.
  • DUFFKING 23 Jun 2013 12:35:27 7,091 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi all, my machine is currently running Radeon HD6850, Intel i5 2400, 4GB RAM. Come October it'll be about 2 years old and I fancy doing an upgrade around then. Any particular recommendations? I'm not sure whether I should be looking more toward the CPU or GPU.
  • sanctusmortis 23 Jun 2013 13:57:02 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your best refresh is likely to be a GPU, but it depends what you're likely to be able to spend. Doubling the memory's probably a good idea too, especially if you can up the speed at the same time.
  • DUFFKING 23 Jun 2013 23:22:08 7,091 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I kind of ended up on a thought process of 'hmm, need to double the ram... maybe a k series CPU + suitable mobo... and new GPU...'

Which is basically a whole new PC. I'll have to wait to see how I'm doing for money in a few months.

Edited by DUFFKING at 23:22:26 23-06-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 24 Jun 2013 00:22:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DUFFKING that's not a bad setup. I'd say add some more ram and get a new graphics card.

You can sell the old gfx card, and you can also use the new one if you upgrade your motherboard and CPU in the future.
  • DUFFKING 27 Jun 2013 15:28:39 7,091 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That GTX760 on the homepage at the moment looks like it could be a good shout. Double up on RAM and I should be good I guess.
  • TheBlackDog 27 Jun 2013 20:10:58 366 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bit of a long shot but if anyone is in France, for once we have a decent deal !!

Sapphire HD7950 3Gb with Boost plus the 4 free games that have been knocking around (Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon). Equivalent to 160, after conversions and paying with Buyster, from Rue du Commerce.

Unlikely anyone, in France, is going to be looking at this, also int the market for a GPU but I couldn't resist posting it for such a bargain.
  • morriss 27 Jun 2013 21:10:18 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    That GTX760 on the homepage at the moment looks like it could be a good shout. Double up on RAM and I should be good I guess.
    Not sure whether to get that or the 770 now. Is the extra ton worth teh monies?
  • FutileResistor 27 Jun 2013 22:50:59 1,220 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would say no.

760 vs 770
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Jun 2013 23:08:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's better, but it's not 50% better. So the 760 is definitely better value.
  • morriss 27 Jun 2013 23:24:44 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hmmm. I'm getting either one of them in August. I've got long enough to mull it over.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Jun 2013 23:57:00 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @morriss depends on your budget really! The amd equivalents may drop in price too so worth keeping an eye out!
  • Buztafen 28 Jun 2013 13:59:52 16,064 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll throw this in here because it's kind of relevant.

Currently, is there any benefit...any at all...from getting 16gb of Ram over 8gb?

Or, if you're only going to be gaming at 1080p (not video editing etc) is it just a waste of money?

Been looking at this 16gb dual channel set for 80, but you can get 8gb of the same stuff for 45.
  • Sharzam 28 Jun 2013 14:04:03 2,695 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The general view is that 8gb is fine for purely gaming, and go for more if you use your pc for other stuff for example photoshop.

Saying that this is based on today's games, we don't fully know the ramifications of next gen consoles. So it is really up to you, it may make a difference next year or none at all. Is that worth the extra money?

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Cannon_Fodder 28 Jun 2013 14:08:33 216 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't ever recall using anywhere near close to 8GB of RAM while gaming. I have 16GB just because at the time I could get it, but it hasn't really offered me any benefits. Even when using programs like Photoshop.

The only time I feel like it could be relevant is when I'm video editing, and even then the rendering process is pretty CPU heavy rather than leaning too much on memory.

It's nice to have there for when I'm programming or working on my home PC, but I could certainly do without it.

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• graysonavich 28 Jun 2013 14:14:30 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I bought an extra 8gb of RAM because I had to bulk up an order of cables that were costing me double in postage.

Basically, RAM is throwaway, and anything above 6GB for 'gaming' is pretty much just to make the motherboard look fancy.

Edited by graysonavich at 14:15:16 28-06-2013
  • superdelphinus 13 Jul 2013 19:58:12 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which gfx card would you buy for around 250 at the moment? Thinking either that Tahiti 7870, gtx 760 or a 7950
  • Page

of 28 First / Last