Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 7

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Sharzam 16 Nov 2012 18:59:21 2,118 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just do what i feel like, is that an ok approach?

Built god knows how many PCs over the years and everytime i do it in a different order. I think current it was PSU (bottom mount) first, then Motherboard but another was everything connected to motherboard then lift it in.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 19:45:37
    RobTheBuilder: @vizzini Not trying to be rude, but the problem is that your posts, when replying to cheap insults about being wrong, focus on describing way too much detail and are confusing for the majority of people.

I agree, with the version I corrected above. But the need to ensure information is correct and seen to be substantiated and accurate demands “way too much detail”, with educated critics.

@Armoured_bear

INSOMANiAC said he didn't want to do CPU thermal paste, install heatsink/fan. Maybe you should have advised for a i7-3820 after all. As the bundle I bought and suggested, comes fitted with an aftermarket cooler. Not quite rodpad's cooler quality. But still, not too shabby.

@Sharzam

For people that are regular builders or confident, anything goes is fine. Building while drinking Pepsi is probably fine. :)
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Nov 2012 20:05:05 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vizzini you have to consider the question and location. On a toms hardware discussion your data is interesting, on here it doesn't give a clear answer to the question and just confuses things.

You'll get a long way by summarising succinctly.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 16 Nov 2012 20:16:58 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    you're looking for a dick swinging contest
  • Maturin 16 Nov 2012 21:01:32 2,737 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My cooler has a very large heatsink and fan and there's little room between it and my memory sticks. It was quite a squeeze when building the system.

So after a little online research decided to try the cooler pull only. Never done that before. But after running it for the last hour and recording temps, there's maybe one or two degrees difference.

The difference in use of space in the case is much dramatic though and my motherboard temps are actually down a bit.

Edited by Maturin at 21:01:58 16-11-2012
  • Bremenacht 16 Nov 2012 21:23:08 15,756 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've just decommissioned a nice weissbier. I bought a £200 makebelievium bottle-opener designed with optimum leverage to ensure the cap came off in the most professional way possible . I used a state-of-the-art container in which to install the beer which doubled as a temporary storage facility from which to consume the liquid. It was a wholly professional and satisfying experience.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• superdelphinus 16 Nov 2012 22:25:22 7,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What do you guys mean when you say "decommissioned"
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Nov 2012 22:45:36 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @superdelphinus http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decommissioning
  • whatthefu 16 Nov 2012 23:39:28 823 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK so i upgraded my fisher-price case to a corsair carbide 300R. Thing is I want the chassis fan quieter/slower, I bought a fan controller which didn't work. So before I try another more reputable brand, how can I find out what wattage the chassis fans are on this case?
    I see the controllers usually have a 10-12w limit per fan.
  • Bremenacht 17 Nov 2012 00:17:55 15,756 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    What do you guys mean when you say "decommissioned"
    Vizzini is bringing big words home from his workplace or college.

It basically means dismantling something, be it a server, or a machine, or a boat or a service or whatever, in a proscribed way. Large projects. It implies planning and control. It might involve ensuring the materials used are disposed of correctly, or recycled. It could mean that the resources released are re-purposed. For a server, it could mean marking it as an unused asset, releasing the software & O/S licences back to a pool, releasing power & floorspace. Lord knows what else. It could be a lot of different things, but it typically implies a fairly complex process involving a lot of accountability. What I'm trying to get across is that it's a big word used for big projects.

So, for Vizzini to use that term for replacing a home PC is really pathetic. It's extremely pretentious. It indicates that he does know something about IT, but also that he's a show-off and hopes to impress and bamboozle unaware readers with his big words, along with his usual product codes, 'pro' build advice etc etc.

Metaphorically, he's sucking his own cock.

Edited by Bremenacht at 00:20:21 17-11-2012

• Bremenacht 17 Nov 2012 00:22:50 15,756 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    You over complicate shit.
    This summarises him best.

• INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2012 00:32:39 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair, if I could suck my own cock I probably would. Everything's been dispatched and should be here tomorrow but can't build it til Sunday as she wants me to 'do shit' tomorrow. Selfish bitch.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 17 November 2012 00:43:09
    @Bremenacht

I've used this term in jest for retasking PC rigs ;), ever since I saw the Simpson's episode where the oil rig was restasked into a Crusty Burger restaurant. You decommission rigs and power stations.
  • Bremenacht 17 Nov 2012 00:48:27 15,756 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh! In that case, I take all I said back.

Well.

Most of what I said back. :)

• INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2012 11:21:26 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    @INSOMANiAC

I noticed you don't have a CPU Cooler ordered, you don't really want to use the stock ones, they're well noisy and not great at cooling.
    I recommend this one or the one Rodpad linked above.

BTW Do you have no interest in Blu-Ray? .
    I may install another heatsink if I decide to overclock but right now thatll have to do.

As for blu ray, I've got a PS3 and I dont really watch Blu-rays anyway, I can always stick one in at a later date but something had to give to stay within the 1k budget!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Nov 2012 12:12:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Once. You get a taste for digital download you never want to see a DVD again tbh. In my experience, anyway.
  • Maturin 17 Nov 2012 12:35:13 2,737 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I didn't bother putting a DVD drive in my new build because I'd hardly use it. I've got an external USB drive that I'll use on the rare occasions I want to install from disk.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Nov 2012 13:01:22 8,748 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @Armoured_bear

INSOMANiAC said he didn't want to do CPU thermal paste, install heatsink/fan. Maybe you should have advised for a i7-3820 after all. As the bundle I bought and suggested, comes fitted with an aftermarket cooler. Not quite rodpad's cooler quality. But still, not too shabby.
    I ddn't read that.
    He did, however, say that he wants the machine to be quiet and was concerned about temperature. A good Noctua (for example) running nice and slow will improve both.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2012 13:02:58 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I only put it in for installing windows. Couldn't be arsed converting it to USB , plus I know a supplier so I can the new games pretty cheap

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 17 November 2012 14:20:23
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @Armoured_bear

I ddn't read that.
    He did, however, say that he wants the machine to be quiet and was concerned about temperature. A good Noctua (for example) running nice and slow will improve both.
    @Armoured_Bear

The free i7-3820 heatsink/fan in my bundle, and my Antec case fans keep my system (HTPC) quiet (even overclocked) at around 30-35degrees when idle, and maxes out at luke warm (50degrees) and still remains below console noise, even when Handbrake (64bit) is recoding using all 8 logical cores at 95% utilisation.

Standby quiet is about equal to my Sony HD PVR, which is virtually silent compared to my slim Ps3 (under heavy load).
  • INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2012 17:10:43 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Half the shit still hasn't arrived. It's all on a van in Middleton somewhere

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 17 Nov 2012 18:57:09 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for your valuable input !

It's all here now, tomorrow is the big day

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Maturin 17 Nov 2012 19:03:40 2,737 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have fun. And take your time.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Nov 2012 19:07:51 8,748 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    @INSOMANiAC

I noticed you don't have a CPU Cooler ordered, you don't really want to use the stock ones, they're well noisy and not great at cooling.
    I recommend this one or the one Rodpad linked above.

BTW Do you have no interest in Blu-Ray? .
    I may install another heatsink if I decide to overclock but right now thatll have to do.

As for blu ray, I've got a PS3 and I dont really watch Blu-rays anyway, I can always stick one in at a later date but something had to give to stay within the 1k budget!
    Not for overclocking, for keeping everything cool and quiet, if you can stretch to another 50 quid I'd do it.

Have fun tomorrow, just take your time and think about each stage before you do it and you'll be fine.
    It's really rewarding.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 15:27:17 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lets build the shit out of this thing !!!

Already stumped with these stand off screws and the farting little diagram you get. Going to need every man woman and child on standby. I'm out of my element !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 15:33:16 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's going to be a lonnnnnng night. Dies the power supply go in upside down so the fan is on the bottom vent? As right side up I can only get two screws in

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 Nov 2012 15:38:17 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Take your time. Do what you said you were going to do and fit the processor and ram.

Then worry about fitting the motherboard into the case. Step at a time really.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 15:38:40 18-11-2012
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 15:40:47 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm trying to get the psu in first but either way I put it the screws don't all fit in the corners

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 15:48:19 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psu in. Checked Internet, psu coming back out to put fan face down

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 23 First / Last