Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 6

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 16 Nov 2012 02:23:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just do everything methodically and you'll be fine.
    The case and motherboard will come with instructions that detail each component, many can only go in one place so are hard to get wrong.

Only key things I would say is: Ram can be a pain the arse just be wary of the pressure on the mobo when you put it in.

Screwing the Mobo to the case is easy enough, but just be careful to tighten it evenly, and not to make it so tight that the Mobo bends.
  • MMMarmite 16 Nov 2012 09:19:28 1,064 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC You'll get all the basic cables you need to get up and running with the motherboard, your spec looks sounds :)

Just a couple of maybe helpful pointers, remember to put all the necessary stand-offs in place so you can screw down the MB properly, put the motherboard I/O plate in before you screw the motherboard down ;) and you may find it easier to install the CPU into the MB outside of the case (on a nice level surface).
  • INSOMANiAC 16 Nov 2012 12:12:06 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers I was going to put everything on the motherboard before I stuck it in, maybe not the graphics card though. The bit thats worrying me is all the wiring coming from the PSU and the case

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• MMMarmite 16 Nov 2012 13:09:14 1,064 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC just shove all the PSU cables through the tray and then just pull back through the ones you need in the positions you need them ;)

Edit - better image showing all cables here

Edited by MMMarmite at 13:13:05 16-11-2012
  • Maturin 16 Nov 2012 13:14:46 3,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    With my recent build I put the motherboard into the case, then added CPU, memory, cooler and graphics card. It was much easier to do that way. My case has great access so fitting items once the motherboard was installed was very easy.

I installed a pretty big CPU cooler so I was grateful of the support of the case. Also it was much easier to get at all the points to screw the motherboard in place without all the other components fitted.

I assume this CM case, like my own, has a large cutout behind the motherboard tray to make it easy to fit a cooler after installation into the case.
  • INSOMANiAC 16 Nov 2012 13:24:17 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers, is the SSD on the bottom next to the PSU?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 16 Nov 2012 13:25:56 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Maturin Are you not applying quite a lot of pressure to the mobo then though? especially putting the RAM in, or does it have support along the middle as well as the sides? Cheers

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 13:27:58
    @INSOMANiAC

You should be fine. But give yourself lots of space, and don't do it somewhere that if a problem arrises, will be forced to pack up what you started, rather than leave it laid out.

In general you'll probably want to.

1 Fit motherboard backplate
    2 Fit the DVD drive to the case.
    3 Assemble the motherboard components (and connect the CPU fan)
    4 Install the motherboard
    5 Install the PSU unit, and then connect the two motherboard power connectors.
    6 Connect the case fans to the motherboard.
    7 Connect the case headers to the motherboard(USB front panel, HDAudio, Power/HDD/Reset LED&Switch block.
    8 Install GPU to primary PCIExpress slot, connect PCIExpress power connectors to GPU
    9 Attach DVD SATA power and SATA cable (to the slowest SATA ports available)
    10 Attach monitor lead to DVI1,
    11 Check PSU back switch in off position
    12 Double check mobo power and GPU power connections are correct, these are the mistakes most likely to damage stuff.
    13 Attach power lead to PSU.
    14 Triple check mobo power and GPU power connections are correct
    15 Turn on PSU back switch to on, and press power on button
    16 Await positive bios speaker chirp and bios screen.
    17 turn of at PSU back switch immediately if bios chirp is wrong.

Other early advice includes getting very familiar with the case features/layout, before doing anything else.

Take the Rear panel off as well(if applicable). Check how the PSU, DVD/ HDDs are going to be fitted, try them and remove them, if it makes sense to do so. The purpose of this, is to visualise the assembly order that will give you maximum hand space to work with for the benefit of connecting headers/leads to the motherboard. You might even want to unscrew a top and side case fan to re-install later. As this will give you extra hand room to work around installing motherboard or CPU and connections.

You are right to assemble CPU/Memory and connect CPU fan to the motherboard in advance.

Your motherboard might also provide a convenient header adapter (like mine did) for hdd led, power switch, power led, reset switch and internal bios speaker. Just connect them to it first before even installing the PSU or motherboard. This will provide a simple keyed socket to attach to a motherboard header with the same arrangement., just as the HDA plug(front panel audio), and front panel usb 3 plugs are.
  • INSOMANiAC 16 Nov 2012 13:31:09 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheer, I shall follow your advice and when I break it all I shall send you the bits.

The dawning realisation has kicked in I've spent a grand to play Civ 5.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Maturin 16 Nov 2012 13:33:05 3,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC it has support in the middle. And the RAM went in very easily with no issues. Didn't have to use much force. The mobo was very well supported once it was in the case - I had no doubts about doing any of the fitting from that point.

In my case I removed the middle drive cage for better airflow from the front fan. I have two hard disks in the bottom small cage. And my SSD is in a small enclosure on the bottom of the case next to the PSU.
  • billythekid 16 Nov 2012 13:33:52 11,195 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Cheer, I shall follow your advice and when I break it all I shall send you the bits.

I'm very close to doing the same thing for Sim City 5 :)
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 13:40:16
    INSOMANiAC wrote:

@INSOMANiAC

It is just a guide. All systems have their own quirks. More like Apollo 13 :).

I also forgot to mention, I used a small adjustable spanner (half turn) on all of the motherboard mount posts (after they were manual turned by hand) prior to install the motherboard. That way when you gently screw the board in, you shouldn't get a mount post spinning underneath.
  • MMMarmite 16 Nov 2012 13:44:19 1,064 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC Memory is fine to install once the motherboard is in, that side is well supported by the stand-offs, likewise heatsink and fans. I favour installing just the CPU outside of the case because there tends to be more pressure and less supporting stand-offs in that area.
  • nickthegun 16 Nov 2012 13:52:23 60,415 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    he gives the worst advice on the internet, so do the exact opposite.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• INSOMANiAC 16 Nov 2012 13:53:45 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:

I'm very close to doing the same thing for Sim City 5 :)
    I'm still patting myself on the back for buying CIV for a fiver a few months ago on steam in the knowledge one day, I might actually be able to play it.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 16 Nov 2012 13:55:04 3,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    he gives the worst advice on the internet, so do the exact opposite.
    Im going to be mainly throwing things in from a distance, then when it doesnt work, smashing various components off the walls. We'll see how that goes.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RobTheBuilder 16 Nov 2012 13:56:27 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Worst advice on the internet is quite an accolade!

Personally I always add the CPU and cooler after I've put the motherboard in, but either is ok as long you are careful!

The only issue I had with my latest build is the intructions for the PSU implied I should install it upside down... a bit of checking and all was fine.
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Nov 2012 14:09:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a kitchen (heat) sink
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 16:05:12
    @nickthegun

Just out of interest, did you study mechanics(in A-level Physics/maths or degree)? What about making a multi layered PCB multiplexer in digital electronics as an undergraduate?

Installing in the motherboard while resting (on the de-static bag) on a flat surface is better than the moments of inertia, and added board torsion forcing down on the mount points (while installing) inside the case. However the risk of straining the board while installing with heavier weight isn't ideal either, but a lesser risk, in most cases.

Put in context, the weight of a heatsink will be through the CPU socket, motherboard and motherboard holes at all time anyway. When the tower case is upright, so harping on about the temporary force of installing with components is the thin end of the wedge.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 16:12:43
    You over complicate shit. Let him play it by ear
  • nickthegun 16 Nov 2012 16:29:25 60,415 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @nickthegun

Just out of interest, did you study mechanics(in A-level Physics/maths or degree)? What about making a multi layered PCB multiplexer in digital electronics as an undergraduate?
    Yes to all of those things, I also currently work in IT and am able to deliver help and advice without sounding like a 4 year old tore up a technical specification and then glued the pages back together in the wrong order.

Edited by nickthegun at 16:30:20 16-11-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 16 November 2012 16:38:44
    I used to work with a physics doctor with no social skills. Batshit crazy. Had all these weird rituals with regards to personal hygiene and using the toilet.
  • whatfruit 16 Nov 2012 16:48:10 1,605 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @nickthegun

Yes to all of those things, I also currently work in IT and am able to deliver help and advice without sounding like a 4 year old tore up a technical specification and then glued the pages back together in the wrong order.
    Oh no he didn't.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Fake_Blood 16 Nov 2012 16:56:42 4,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hey vizzini, what do you do, in real life?
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 17:13:21
    @nickthegun

Ok, So why are you arguing with me, about the motherboard advice then? I've explained the problems of both options, the conditions the board normally resides, and the justification of my installation method.

Does your education somehow refute anything I said? And if so, be my guest to convince me. I'm always keen to learn new things.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Nov 2012 17:37:07 11,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC

I noticed you don't have a CPU Cooler ordered, you don't really want to use the stock ones, they're well noisy and not great at cooling.
    I recommend this one or the one Rodpad linked above.

BTW Do you have no interest in Blu-Ray? .

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• SpaceDave3000 16 Nov 2012 17:52:24 78,417 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    School of hard knocks taught me you're a cunt.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RobTheBuilder 16 Nov 2012 18:36:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vizzini Not trying to be rude, but the problem is that your posts focus on describing way too much detail and are confusing for the majority of people.

If you just put the single key point it would come across much better.

What you are doing:

Should I buy coke or Pepsi?

"Well coke contains 0.2 grams less sugar than Pepsi whereas Pepsi has three additional flavourings in quantities of 0.00000001g and 0.00000000000000012g and 0.00000000000002637g.

The blue colouring on the pepsi can is 27% more bright than the coke red. However in tests 78 percent of people preferred the packaging of coke...."

Just say Coke tastes nicer.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2012 18:52:05
    Yeah, wood for the trees
  • Page

of 29 First / Last