Zero Escape 3 *HUGE spoilers for Virtue's Last Reward and 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors*

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • santashi 14 Nov 2012 10:14:31 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just in case people somehow missed the note in the title, this thread does have huge spoilers for both Virtue's Last Reward and 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Please don't continue if you haven't played/finished the games!

Virtue's Last Reward ended by leading into the third game's scenario, so I thought there might as well be a thread discussing what might happen in it, even if we won't be able to play it for a while yet. :)

The setting is almost certainly going to be the Mars mission test site, which apparently contained deadly traps along with nine men and women, and from which Radical-6 would eventually break out and really screw up the world thanks to Free the Soul.

Two of the nine participants have to be Sigma (67 year old version in 22 year old body) and Phi (future Phi in younger Phi's body... and who isPhi, exactly?). It seems at least possible that K(yle) will be there in mind if not in his own body. There is also whoever it was that was in K(yle)'s body in the VLR epilogue, '?', who is apparently a powerful esper. Given that the woman in the transmission was voiced by the same actress as played Luna (both in English and Japanese versions), it seems likely that there was an original Luna there whom Sigma based his gaulem on.

Junpei also apparently had some involvement with the mission, although presumably not as a participant.

Clover and Alice seem like they couldn't be involved, but Akane did tell them that they could go back in time, bodies included, so you never know.

Akane said she didn't know what happened at the test site, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her turn up at some point in the game. Or have some extra motives and tricksiness (was that Free the Soul robe that young Akane was wearing just sort of cover or something more?).

There are also the characters from the first two nonary games (ie. the ones run by Gendou and Akane) who might have some involvement (what did happen to Santa?).

Brother, as the leader of Free the Soul, is clearly going to be involved in the story, and of course his identity is currently unknown, although it can be speculated on. For example, would some apparently deceased person who popped people in a deadly game on a ship for the entertainment of the rich be so upset when his own brother was murdered that he'd go as far as Brother did, especially when it would seem like a seriously delayed reaction? Probably not, but you never know.

There was so much information dropped and hinted at in VLR that I'm sure I've missed something but it's a start. ;) Any thoughts?

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• santashi 12 Dec 2012 12:00:55 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I know other people have finished VLR now, so any thoughts? ;)

• Kangoo 12 Dec 2012 13:36:36 1,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Almost finished all of the chains now, won't read the above as I don't want to spoil anything but I am praying you are saying that a sequel has been announced and will be out on Vita shortly :)

Not sure how I missed it, Dio never bothered me on the first couple of options I picked but the longer I have played, if I was trapped with him, I would kill him.

PSN: Adwab2

• santashi 12 Dec 2012 14:11:52 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Kangoo I wouldn't say shortly, but yes, there will be a sequel. :)

Dio really is amazingly obnoxious. I thought for ages that it must be an act...

• Kangoo 12 Dec 2012 14:18:07 1,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as a sequel is in the works, I will be happy.

Definitely up there as a GOTY contender for me.

PSN: Adwab2

• Flying_Pig 15 Dec 2012 18:52:37 11,184 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @santashi - you obviously took more from VLR, but the I haven't played 999 so maybe that's part of it.

A proper sequel would be great - especially as Phi's still a mystery (and totally lovely). But then doesn't the ending of VLR imply that Sigma and Phi will fail in their mission to stop the release of Radical-6?

One thing I didn't get from VLR is how Sigma didn't realise that he wasn't in his own body - surely he'd notice his hands and arms, and feel the bionic eye thing on his face?? Also a few characters treat Tenmioji (or however you spell it) like an old man, but Sigma is equally as old and he seems to get treated like someone the age he thinks he is...?
  • santashi 15 Dec 2012 23:33:51 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Flying_Pig Sigma actually gets called on his age quite a few times. Mostly by Dio, but Phi tells him he must be on drugs if he is in his 20s and looks like that, Alice asks him how long he's been at uni if he's still a student, etc. Also explains why Sigma is the only one who gets beaten up when trying to escape. :p The arms are supposed to feel real, I think, but no idea how he never feels/touches his eye. Feel like that's slightly silly character design, personally. ;)

They did fail in that reality, just as they did in everything but the true ending in VLR. Plus in 999 June only survived as a child by Junpei being there in the future and doing the events 'right' (bit simplified but that's basically it).

And Phi is awesome! I did love her flying kick at Dio.

Just think how creepy Sigma must have been in pervert mode...

• Flying_Pig 16 Dec 2012 09:32:26 11,184 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Just think how creepy Sigma must have been in pervert mode...
    Very - surprised he didn't get kicked for some of his comments to Phi / Clover / Alice.

And what's with Alice’s outfit?!
  • santashi 16 Dec 2012 13:36:57 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No idea why nobody commented on it throughout the game. Lotus got stick for her awful outfit...

• coreylamoureux 21 Dec 2012 02:52:26 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I Have fallen in Love with these games. I love how in Last Reward it allowed to you jump to parts of the game freely instead of the huge amounts of trial and error of 999. I wonder if Kyle at the end of Last Reward could be Younger Junpei? It seems that Junepei is pretty important to the progression of the series and theres defently some mending that needs to happen between him and Akane. Also it seems to me that Junpei is a hugely powerful esper at least in the eyes of story in the games
  • santashi 23 Dec 2012 11:42:32 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @coreylamoureux Yes, the flow system was definitely a huge improvement!

At the moment I'm swaying towards the person in Kyle being a new character, since Junpei told us that he was involved in the incident as an outsider. Then again, you can't take anything at face value in the series. ;)

I'm not entirely sure if Junpei and Akane can be mended. :p I think he was probably right when he realised that she wasn't the Akane that he had known in his youth. Like Ace, I think her experiences in the 'game' changed her quite a lot.

Edited by santashi at 11:42:58 23-12-2012

• FanBoysSuck 22 Jan 2013 10:16:07 1,527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It seems most concrete things have been covered story wise so here's some speculation on the next game. You'll be playing as Kyle in that other persons body, helping Sigma and Phi succeed in their mission. Remember you don't necessarily remember past jumps so they could do the usual 9 people kidnapped WTF stuff. Phi and Sigma won't know it's Kyle in a different body either so there would still be the mystery angle.

There's some other stuff that could be thrown in as well but that's the conclusion I've come too thus far.

For the emperor!

• santashi 27 Mar 2013 22:31:23 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The reveal nobody saw coming unless they had, er, played VLR. :p

• Flying_Pig 27 Mar 2013 23:10:45 11,184 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So they've just confirmed what we all knew/expected then.
  • santashi 27 Mar 2013 23:18:06 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I presume they must have asked more in the interview than that but it as a news report it was a tad disappointing. I tried to let people down gently with the link description. :p

• INSOMANiAC 23 Apr 2013 14:09:07 3,833 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm really pissed off I had to cheat on a couple of puzzles, the Darts game one made no sense, yes you had to start with the greater number and go down according to colour, but that was for the secret file ! how the fuck was I supposed to guess to do the reverse for the key? It makes no sense

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• jellyBelly 17 May 2013 07:09:22 428 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok i love this game now, it has Prisoner's dilemma, i wrote part of my thesis on that!

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• santashi 30 May 2013 09:52:49 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Interesting little interview with the creator. Well worth a read. Sounds like we've got a while to wait yet, before anyone gets their hopes up. :)

• santashi 28 Oct 2013 09:25:07 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bump since there seem to be more people who've finished VLR now. :)

• Toy-Vi11ain 10 Jan 2014 19:42:29 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I know I'm late to the party, but I got both 999 and Virtue's Last Reward for Christmas and have only just finished them. They were as good as I've heard everyone say, especially VLR, definitely one of my all time favourite games.

Now onto my thoughts about the ending. I think ? In the final few scenes will be a new character, and someone closely linked to Brother from how important Arkane made him out to be. Maybe he's one of the Myrmidon clones of left?

The line that stuck with me the most throughout the whole game, that I felt didn't get any resolution was in the control room. The puzzle where you have to rearrange the words to spell out "she knows everything" I honestly believe relates to Phi and what happened in the Mars mission. I know it could be interpreted as meaning the old woman as by that stage you don't know who she is, but I just think that's too on the nose for this series.

Clearly so,etching goes badly wrong when Sigma and Phi tried to stop the radical 6 out break resulting in the loss of sigma's arms and an eye. I can't decide whether I think Phi is good or bad, but she'll have a big part to play either way.

Finally I know it might not fit, but I can't shake the feeling that Santa will be Brother. We know the lengths he went to, to seek revenge after Arkane's "death" in one of the timelines. It's never not said that Arkane and Santa have another sibling, unless I'm mistaken, so who's to say the loss of a second sibling won't push him over the edge? Anyway, I can't wait for ZE3.

PSN: joeronny7

• santashi 15 Jan 2014 00:58:36 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Toy-Vi11ain It's a good few years since I played it, but I'd say Santa's primary motivation in 999 was saving his sister, above revenge. In the end, he didn't actually kill Ace. (Aside from the Axe ending, wasn't Ace responsible for all of the deaths? I might be wrong.) Akane felt like the driving force to me. I got the impression that she's the more ruthless of the two, although you never know, and I would like to find out what happened to Santa.

Phi is a very mysterious character. I really liked her in the game, but she's one of the ones that we know the least about. I do look forward to seeing what role she has to play.

And yes, I want to know about Brother. :D

• santashi 14 Feb 2014 10:31:36 5,166 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If anyone happens to have a spare few million lying around...

• Flying_Pig 14 Feb 2014 12:00:13 11,184 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Such a shame. I really liked VLR...
  • FanBoysSuck 14 Feb 2014 12:04:10 1,527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, that's just put a downer on the weekend :(

For the emperor!

• CosmicFuzz 14 Feb 2014 12:37:08 24,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aw fuck. I loved the first two games.

Don't see why it wouldn't work on Kickstarter, I imagine it's the sort of series that has a small but rabid fanbase.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Humperfunk 14 Feb 2014 12:42:35 2,290 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If this goes to kickstarter I will certainly contribute. Playing Dangaropna at the moment and planning another run of those two when I finish.

A real shame when great games are relatively ignored :(

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Page

of 1

Previous Next