Movies "so bad they're good"? Or are they just "good"?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Mola_Ram 13 Nov 2012 06:31:19 6,976 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Was just noodling around the internet when I stumbled upon this little article in Wired, which provocatively suggests that "so bad they're good" movies are in fact immensely entertaining, and therefore should just be considered "good". And that taking delight in watching "bad" movies is more a function of a hipster-ish sense of detachment and irony, rather than a comment on the worth of the movies themselves.

Etc.

Is he onto something here? Or is there a distinction he is missing?

Also, feel free to pepper the thread with nominations for your favorite SBTG movies, and why you feel they're bad. Or good. Whatever you want to call them.

Edit: fixed html

Edited by Mola_Ram at 06:33:39 13-11-2012
  • Dirtbox 13 Nov 2012 06:33:28 77,469 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Currently working through some real horrors on Netflix, The Baby is one to look for and The Food of the Gods springs to mind.

Entertaining for all the wrong reasons pretty much nails the reasoning behind it. If you're laughing at a scene that the director meant as harrowing or thoughtful then it's pretty obvious what the distinction should be.

Edited by Dirtbox at 06:35:53 13-11-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Scimarad 13 Nov 2012 06:37:23 8,530 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Entertaining is entertaining when you get right down to it. The worst thing a film can be is boring.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Nov 2012 07:08:25 6,976 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll respond in more detail later (typing on a tablet is annoying) but recently I watched The Wicker Man with Nic Cage. I saw him losing his shit and punching pregnant women in YouTube clips, and thought "if the whole movie is like that, I'd love it". And I think I would have loved it, unashamedly, and would have called it "good", in a certain way.

But unfortunately all of those bits were at the end, and the rest of the movie was just dull.
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Nov 2012 08:00:37 7,814 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought pretty much every single Ed Wood film was supposed to fall into this category?

Sadly I have not watched any of his films only the Johnny Depp film about him.
  • megastar 13 Nov 2012 08:39:25 17,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Freddie Got Fingered
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 08:42:11 86,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If something is inadvertently entertaining by being dramatically awful, that doesn't mean it's good. It's failing to achieve what it set out to. It's bad.
  • Chopsen 13 Nov 2012 08:43:01 15,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've only seen "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and while it is bad, it was also boring. So I would consider it just bad.

Ed Wood I think has become a little over-romanticised. Hollywood needed a some kind of yard-stick of badness, a touchstone of shit so that everyone could go "well at least it's not as bad as..." and Plan 9, and Ed Wood generally by the looks of it, is just that. As with all hype (even, er, negative hype) it eventually takes on a life of it's own. The actual substance of the matter itself can never live up to it.

The main situation where so-bad-its-good doesn't work is when it's intentional. Hobo with a Shotgun is an example of this.

A lot of the time, it's just people liking things which they think they shouldn't. See also liking things "ironically."
  • Chopsen 13 Nov 2012 08:46:10 15,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    If something is inadvertently entertaining by being dramatically awful, that doesn't mean it's good. It's failing to achieve what it set out to. It's bad.
    But surely the fact that something is entertaining, even inadvertently, is of some value? To not like something because it's technically bad even though it's great fun to watch is self-flagellation in the name of integrity.
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 08:49:03 86,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    But surely the fact that something is entertaining, even inadvertently, is of some value? To not like something because it's technically bad even though it's great fun to watch is self-flagellation in the name of integrity.
    This is going to become about semantics now.

It has value but it's not a "good movie", if you choose to define a "good movie" as one that succeeds in making you have its intended emotional response, which I do :)

Very few things have literally no value at all, even if the value is a lesson in how not to do something. That doesn't mean literally everything is "good".
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Nov 2012 08:49:32 37,355 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone seen any films by a company called "Asylum"? They mostly, if not entirely, do sci-fi and horror films that definitely fall into this category. They have a couple of films on UK Netflix and I recommend Area 51 starring Bruce Boxleitner and John O'Shea (Lex Luthor from the 90s Superman TV series).

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Chopsen 13 Nov 2012 08:59:09 15,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it's semantics, but it's not *just* semantics. It's about approach. You can approach a film as being about the original intention behind the film, and you can approach it from a pragmatic "what's it like to watch" type approach. A film can achieve what it set out to do in a technical sense but be a load of tedious twaddle. It could also be technically good but be enjoyed for entirely the wrong reasons anyway (some poncey arty thing with a cracking sex scene, for a base example).

But there are "bad" films which can be fun to watch, and "bad" films which aren't, so I think making a distinction between the two is worth while.

The two things are separate though usually correlated dimension on which things can be considered.

Obviously, I can't think of a single example to back any of that up.
  • AcidSnake 13 Nov 2012 09:03:02 7,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MrTOM:
    Who can forget such original hits as "Transmorphers"!

I took a look at their film list recently and the amount of carbon copies is just hilarious...

I do wonder where the whole "so bad it's good" argument leaves 80's action films though...

I would never call Commando a "good" film , yet it does exactly what it sets out to do...And is highly entertaining...
    "Please don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired" has absolutely no place in a movie that wants to be considered good...Yet it is absolutely the right thing at that point in the movie...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• kalel 13 Nov 2012 09:09:15 86,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    But there are "bad" films which can be fun to watch, and "bad" films which aren't, so I think making a distinction between the two is worth while.
    But couldn't you use that exact same argument as to why we shouldn't label them "good", which is what is being suggested? Surely there's a distinction to be made there which is absolutely as crucial, if not more so?

So, to return to the original question - should films so bad they're good be simply referred to as good - the answer is no. The full description of "so bad they're good" is necessary to make the distinction.
  • Chopsen 13 Nov 2012 09:18:31 15,723 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah yeah, I agree with you there. You can't call something just "good" if it's unintentionally entertaining as the OP said. I was on a bit of ramble, and need coffee.
  • beastmaster 13 Nov 2012 09:23:12 11,179 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are plenty on Netflix US (and probably UK).

One that is well worth a watch is Blown Away with Corey Haim and Nicole Eggert.

Also any film with Joan Severance. The Last Seduction 2 is epic. Yes, it's the TDV sequel to the rather good original.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• LeoliansBro 13 Nov 2012 10:16:43 43,227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm a bit confused. Are we talking about ridiculous films saved by outstanding acting / directing, or ridiculous films that we can snigger at because they are so awful?

Much more interested in the former to be honest.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• johnson81 13 Nov 2012 11:43:58 373 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tango and Cash. It has some of the most cringe worthy dialogue, the worst British accents of any film ever, including Dick Van Dyke. But I love it, cheesy as hell but I think 'cos I'm a fan of Sly and Kurt Russel that i can look past it's imperfections.
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2012 11:50:35 11,856 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    One that stands out is the 1975 turkish film called Lionman.

you can probably youtube the whole thing, and here's a taster.

http://www.turkishcult.com/2011/11/lionman-klcaslan-1975.html

It has everything - awful dubbing, amazingly bad fight scenes, trampoline jumping, night for day shots, same guy being killed from a different angle multiple times to give you the sense of him killing a million people, and fantastically bad music.

You've got to see it :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• thelzdking 13 Nov 2012 11:53:34 4,326 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Scimarad
    True this. For me something mediocre or irritating is worse than something 'shit'.
  • MrSemprini 13 Nov 2012 11:54:40 9,372 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I've only seen "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and while it is bad, it was also boring. So I would consider it just bad.
    Crikey, you must have been in some sour mood when you watched it. The dialogue alone is worth anyone's time. Admittedly, some of Wood's stuff is decidedly ropey, Glen or Glenda is a bit of a slog with a few redeeming moments (although the "Pull the string" line was done far better by Martin Landau in Ed Wood) but the likes of Bride of the Monster or Night of the Ghouls tiptoe to the edge of B movie greatness.

For something that so bad it's good, surely Zeta One (and the rest of the Jezebel range if you can track it down) qualifies admirably. Any film with the tagline:

A race of topless, large-breasted women from the planet Angvia, in another dimension, come to earth to kidnap women to repopulate their planet.
    is guaranteed silly fun. It's also quite odd seeing the likes of Charles Hawtrey or John Le Mesurier popping up in these no budget, (barely) sex comedies.
  • Kid_Icarus 13 Nov 2012 12:38:42 556 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think It all depends on the tone of the film and what the director's intentions were. B-movie horrors tend to be enjoyable because they're a bit campy and tongue-in-cheek, there's no redeeming features in a serious movie that fails in what it tries to do or has terrible acting.

But everyone can agree that Bruce Campbell is awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EWY7OYUcB0
  • superflyninja 13 Nov 2012 13:20:44 460 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    johnson81 wrote:
    Tango and Cash. It has some of the most cringe worthy dialogue, the worst British accents of any film ever, including Dick Van Dyke. But I love it, cheesy as hell but I think 'cos I'm a fan of Sly and Kurt Russel that i can look past it's imperfections.
    I just watched this for the first time a couple of weeks back (yes im 30) and boy was it shit. But incredibly good!!!!!!

Put away those firey biscuits

• the_dudefather 13 Nov 2012 13:25:21 9,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The asylum (makers of transmorphers and snakes on a train) version of Sherlock Holmes

There are robot dinosaurs and dragons in Victorian London, and the villain wears a steampunk mech-suit

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• kalel 13 Nov 2012 13:28:02 86,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:

A race of topless, large-breasted women from the planet Angvia, in another dimension, come to earth to kidnap women to repopulate their planet.
    Boy are they going to be annoyed when they realise their error.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 13:28:24
    Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

/shout-out to sp00ky
  • the_dudefather 13 Nov 2012 13:32:43 9,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Riki-Oh is amazing, everyone watch it right now

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 13 November 2012 13:34:47
    (y)
  • roz123 13 Nov 2012 13:44:40 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago