From now on I'll just download the games to save me the hassle that IS DRM Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 11:11:12 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Chaos Theory?
    You young pups! Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory! Ask your grandad! :p
    I think he knew what game you were talking about, but was rather expressing incredulity that a crap port of a last-gen console game would be that much in demand on PC.
    Definitely one to avoid. (SARCASM)

disusedgenius wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    With 100% effective DRM (0% piracy), you'd expect some sort of increase in sales, wouldn't you?
    An increase from what?
    Established & popular franchise, extremely well received... easily a million-seller. Then double it because all the pirates had to buy it, right?

But I take your point that it's impossible to track sales lost due to piracy (or in this case, gained due to a lack of piracy).

Edit:
    bad09 wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:

And, of course, y'know... Chaos Theory. That famously uncracked game (for over 400 days) that as a result stayed at #1 in the charts for over a year and is perhaps the best-selling PC game of all time.
    :)

AC2 smashed sales expectations on PC to and Ubisoft often shout about how many Hawx 2 copies get sold.
    (That's by far the wittiest comment I'm ever likely to make on Eurogamer, so I'm glad someone appreciated it!)

Edited by PenguinJim at 11:14:34 12-11-2012
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 11:14:39 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Chaos Theory?
    You young pups! Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory! Ask your grandad! :p
    I think he knew what game you were talking about, but was rather expressing incredulity that a crap port of a last-gen console game would be that much in demand on PC.
    Definitely one to avoid. (SARCASM)
    Linking a Metacritic page that proudly points to a review in Maxim magazine (of all things) and a load of obscure no-name sites doesn't do an awful lot to back up your argument, in fairness.

Not that linking to Metacritic ever does anyway, mind.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 11:15:42 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, I missed your superior link that backed up your comment...
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 11:16:49 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whenever the forum has another "does piracy hurt/help legitimate sales" argument I always imagine a Phoenix Wright lookalike pointing at every other post and shouting "SPECULATION!"

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• disusedgenius 12 Nov 2012 11:17:33 5,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Established & popular franchise, extremely well received... easily a million-seller.
    What makes you say that? I've only ever seen SC games on the PC being put out as bundles with graphics cards. I didn't think it sold all that much on the PC. Besides, it's a franchise in deep decline with a huge amount of bad press. Not sure where you got a million from.
  • sport 12 Nov 2012 11:18:10 12,457 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Completely. I recently discovered the joys of PS+ which is, basically, a monthly sub for free old games. A couple of big, old, releases and a handful of PSN titles for the price of you sub. Its great.
    nickthegun wrote:
    a monthly sub for free old games. A couple of big, old, releases and a handful of PSN titles for the price of you sub.
    nickthegun wrote:
    a monthly sub for free old games.
    oh nick... ;-)
  • kalel 12 Nov 2012 11:19:41 86,018 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, to return to my point about us being in an awkward transition, there is no perfect solution to these issues while a) the internet is not of a universal high speed and not everyone has it, and b) some people are still using archaic system of gong into a shop and buying a box.

This is unsurmountable for now, but in a few years none of this will matter.
  • nickthegun 12 Nov 2012 11:21:55 58,729 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Completely. I recently discovered the joys of PS+ which is, basically, a monthly sub for free old games. A couple of big, old, releases and a handful of PSN titles for the price of you sub. Its great.
    nickthegun wrote:
    a monthly sub for free old games. A couple of big, old, releases and a handful of PSN titles for the price of you sub.
    nickthegun wrote:
    a monthly sub for free old games.
    oh nick... ;-)
    You know what I mean, you gaylord.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 11:24:44 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Established & popular franchise, extremely well received... easily a million-seller.
    What makes you say that? I've only ever seen SC games on the PC being put out as bundles with graphics cards. I didn't think it sold all that much on the PC. Besides, it's a franchise in deep decline with a huge amount of bad press. Not sure where you got a million from.
    Yes, it's a franchise in deep decline with a huge amount of bad press. Today.

But you do know that Chaos Theory came out nearly eight years ago, right?
  • disusedgenius 12 Nov 2012 11:25:50 5,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, what with you being a stinge-bag with any actual context for your posts!
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 11:26:03
    DM, I'm surprised that you, of all people are using words like 'retarded'.
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 11:26:33 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Yes, it's a franchise in deep decline with a huge amount of bad press. Today.

But you do know that Chaos Theory came out nearly eight years ago, right?
    Wow, that's a current example,

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:27:13 12-11-2012

• PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 11:32:52 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You sound like you didn't know that it was nearly eight years old.

Edit: off the top of my head, I thought it was a 2006 release, so I'm not Captain Perfect. :redface: Still, at least I'm making points and referencing events and backing them up. No offense.

Edited by PenguinJim at 11:35:57 12-11-2012
  • disusedgenius 12 Nov 2012 11:34:39 5,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They all blur into one for me, to be honest, and it never entered my head that you'd pick a game 8 years old to demonstrate... something.

What does Chaos Theory demonstrate again?
  • Chopsen 12 Nov 2012 11:37:26 15,688 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Before long we'll be looking at a completely different picture with regards to the concepts of ownership and distribution, and all of this will be moot. Think Netflix and I suspect you won't be far off.

If there was a Netflix for comics, I would also be all over that. I know marvel do a subs based model, but I donít want a sub here, a sub there, I want a single site that I can pay to stream my pull lists to me.
    Netflix is not a "universal" sub, either though. The main thing holding back subscription models I think is exclusivity deals. Producers want to maximise the return they have on each unit of content, so either offer exclusivity deals or go in to the distribution market themselves. This gives the consumer a fragmented and shitter experience, like you say.

Certain content distributors effectively run a protection racket. Sky is one particular shitty example. Sky can out bid anyone for movies and series because they have so many paying subscribers. People pay sky subscriptions because they would not be able to see the content they want any other way. What Sky contributes to the system as a whole is fairly trivial.

Edited by Chopsen at 11:38:11 12-11-2012
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 11:37:39 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    You sound like you didn't know that it was nearly eight years old.

Edit: off the top of my head, I thought it was a 2006 release, so I'm not Captain Perfect. :redface: Still, at least I'm making points and referencing events and backing them up. No offense.
    The reason I'm not is because I'm not entirely sure why we are talking about an ancient console port in the first place.

• spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 11:39:07 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    They all blur into one for me, to be honest, and it never entered my head that you'd pick a game 8 years old to demonstrate... something.

I think he's trying to say it is evidence that DRM encourages sales. Or something.

• PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 11:39:51 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:

DO YOU NOT HAVE GOOGLE?!?! :champ: :champ: :champ:

OK, Chaos Theory is the game with the record for going uncracked. 400-something days. It should demonstrate something about piracy. I won't try to influence your conclusion.

In darkmorgado's defense, I think he's drunk, so don't worry. :) Edit: or she. Sorry. Didn't mean to assume.

Edited by PenguinJim at 11:40:33 12-11-2012
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 11:40:58 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not drunk, just very tired. Been up all night.

Also why I'm a bit grumpy/overly cynical atm.

I still stand by everything I've said though.

• nickthegun 12 Nov 2012 11:41:38 58,729 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having been through the whole rigmarole of moving services, doing the comparison thing its fairly safe to say that on demand content is a huge now. Every company was really pushing their on demand content, even talktalk who give you one of those brilliant humax youview boxes for nothing on a £14.99 sub (yes sport, very good).

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 11:41:49 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

All you've said is that you don't like Chaos Theory and that it's old.

Edited by PenguinJim at 11:42:06 12-11-2012
  • disusedgenius 12 Nov 2012 11:42:48 5,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    DO YOU NOT HAVE GOOGLE?!?! :champ: :champ: :champ:
    Sure, it didn't say anything in particular about it!

OK, Chaos Theory is the game with the record for going uncracked. 400-something days. It should demonstrate something about piracy. I won't try to influence your conclusion.
    Indulge me - the only conclusions I can draw from that are pretty limited.

Edited by disusedgenius at 11:44:37 12-11-2012
  • PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 11:43:38 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why does Ubisoft use DRM?
  • disusedgenius 12 Nov 2012 11:45:43 5,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm going to say 'to increase sales' just to goad you into finally making your sodding point! :)
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 11:46:14 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

All you've said is that you don't like Chaos Theory and that it's old.
    I've said a fair bit more than that in this thread, to be fair.

Also, I didn't say anything about disliking it (or liking it).

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:48:53 12-11-2012

• Chopsen 12 Nov 2012 11:46:29 15,688 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, fuck you Socrates. get to the point.
  • bigbandluva 12 Nov 2012 12:01:23 28 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    bad09 wrote:
    I think he referring to the piracy not the fact the guy bought a game and couldn't play it, DM hates those evil pirates that eat babies.
    Pretty much.

Though it takes a special kind of idiot to buy a game that has GFW Live and Internet Connection Required slapped all over the fucking box and then be surprised when they need to use GFW Live and connect to the internet to play it.
    I'm pretty new to modern PC gaming. Played alot until a couple of years ago when i dropped it but decided to buy meself a new gaming rig not too long ago. Back then you didn't have to search the box malicously whether it will work or not, it simply did. The Games for Windows logo didn't mean you can't play the game w/o a connection either.

And no, it's not "slapped all over the fucking box", a single, indeed very tiny, blurb at the bottom is the only thing that hints at this shit.

I can't believe I'm justifiying myself to such a fucking jerk as yourself, but here goes.

And you miss the point. The thing is that I would recieve a working product would I have downloaded it instead. Would I hade decided to get the game from TPB instead of the store I would probably had had a nice evening last night, instead of this shit. It's not right, IMHO.
  • PenguinJim 12 Nov 2012 12:01:36 5,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't have another point. It all seems to speak (or possibly scream) for itself.

I'll throw The Witcher 2 into the mix though. (That's a PC game from last year, darkmorgado)

But I'm not going to spell that one out, either. :p
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 12:03:23 27,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @bigbandluva

And that justifies piracy how exactly?

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:03:56 12-11-2012

• disusedgenius 12 Nov 2012 12:05:01 5,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right, just in case you don't get this whole 'social interaction' thing - I can indeed take conclusions from that incredibly limited data. Clearly it's not lining up with your interpretation which is what I wanted to know what deep, cryptic meaning you've managed to wrangle from it.

So I don't want to know about another point, if you could actually make a single point with any kind of coherency that'd be appreciated.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last