Halo 4 story thread SPOLIERS

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 08:24:16
    Anyone watched all the terminals yet? I got 6 of the 8 and thought they fleshed out the back story loads. Need to check on youtube for the other two movies.

Find it very strange to have major plot elements revealed outside of the game and make people use waypoint to find out. If you don't have waypoint etc you will be miss out on some of the secrets revealed.

Noticed a few people on here saying they playing it but have no idea what is going on, sure there are millions. Should of had a ten minute video on the menu as a catch up for people not in the know. I followed the story ish but I know lots about the lore etc. Feel if you blindly just play a game you wont get the same enjoyment out of it.

Tagged this first post spoiler but after that I don't think there is a need considering the topic says spoiler.

re the story in the game, so humans and forerunners were similar in tech 100,000 years ago. Humans expanded because Flood and started destroying forerunners planets to stop the spread of the parasite. The forerunners thought it was war and ended up defeating the humans and the "composer" re engineered humans DNA to a primitive state again. The Librarian didn't agree with this and during her indexing in the flood war she engineered human DNA to an extent that ensure that the human race advanced to the state of Master Chief and Cortana so they could reclaim the mantle which are DNA was able to 100,00 years ago. However we have developed a bit too quick and are not ready, we found all the forerunner tech to soon and because of this the Librarian altered the Chief DNA to the level it should be, the level it was 100,000 years ago.
    Didact was locked up and should have been chilled out when released but instead 343 made him a bitter villain and wanted to compose the human race and didn't believe we deserved to carry the mantle.
    One thing I didn't catch was the digital world bit?
    Didact knew the Flood only consumed organics so the composer was built to change the forerunners into digital beings and make them immortal but the tests went wrong and they became abbonimations?? So they stopped the experiments and continued with the Halo array system?
    Anyone care to correct my understanding of the story?
    Thanks
  • Gambit1977 10 Nov 2012 10:13:22 9,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You missed the bit where Neo flies!
    Ruined it all for me that bit.
  • heyyo 10 Nov 2012 10:20:11 14,373 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm new to Halo and what is this
  • neilka 10 Nov 2012 10:42:04 15,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked the bit where he shot the alien

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 10:45:21
    Spoliers?
  • DFawkes 10 Nov 2012 10:55:17 22,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't think the Composer re-engineered humans to a primitive state, did it? The problem with the Composer was it didn't recreate things as they were, so was dangerous to use.

I though man was regressed because the Halo Arrays were activated, meaning that advanced humanity were wiped out - the humans we know now descended from the Forerunner seeding ships (as shown in Halo Legends).

I'm happy to be corrected though :)

Edited by DFawkes at 10:55:37 10-11-2012

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Gambit1977 10 Nov 2012 11:04:35 9,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Spoliers?
    Yeah, right nasty bastards they are!
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 11:16:18
    What I mainly got from the game is the more dense the details the less the impact of the story. Especially in a FPS.

When you're shooting people you're really not paying attention to the details. Cut scenes were well directed though.

I haven't seen the terminals yet. I've got one more to find before I take a look.
  • Deckard1 10 Nov 2012 11:19:41 27,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SPOLIERS!!

Hush you ponce

• RedSparrows 10 Nov 2012 11:23:10 22,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think the store is dense, so much as requiring you to have paid attention to all the games/books in a way most won't be arsed too, which is fair enough on their part.
  • Deckard1 10 Nov 2012 11:30:33 27,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I played through about half of it last night, admittedly while drunk, and I have absolutely no fucking clue what's going on. Not a fucking clue. I'd also say its really not that great. It's far too linear for a halo game.

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 11:38:18
    Does it really fucking matter?

Walk towards your waypoint and shoot stuff. The story is that the Masterchef is a great lad altogether and the enemies are shitbirds.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:00:27
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Does it really fucking matter?

Walk towards your waypoint and shoot stuff. The story is that the Masterchef is a great lad altogether and the enemies are shitbirds.
    That's all that really ever mattered to me.
  • Deckard1 10 Nov 2012 12:08:27 27,732 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok but if you've got some blue cunt shouting in your ear about cartographers and magic portals and special buttons and evil monsters for 6 hours it would be nice to have some inclination as to what the fuck she's on about.

Edited by Deckard1 at 12:11:38 10-11-2012

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:33:32
    They were obviously using the rampancy element as the simple storyline for people not wholly invested in the canon. The thing is without being privy to all the details it's really hard to care whether Cortana can be saved or not.

I sort of know what's happening in the Halo series but that is after numerous playthroughs. If that's the intention then fair play, the game opens up like a flower combatwise on each playthrough but I'm not so sure that's what they're going for.

The universe is obviously bigger than the games alone but the problem I have is that the series on a narrative level is too derivative for me to care. It's equal parts all the other sci fi universes that have come before.

Halo was at it's best when, bang, you're on an alien ring thing that no one knows where it is and what it's for. An enigma is always more powerful than the explanation. Halo 4 went for it, got tantalisingly close then tried to explain everything all at once.

Fucking amazing to play though.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:49:33
    Watching the terminals now. Pretty cool but confirms my suspicions that Halo is basically StarCraft the FPS. Starcraft itself was Blizzard's AvP.

Infinity bears new relevance.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:50:09
    ...they do a good job of filling you in on the big picture though.

It's got me thinking, wouldn't it have been more beneficial to shown people the terminal footage before they play the game?

I'm guessing they wanted that mystery of a new planet first and foremost.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 12:53:45 10-11-2012
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:58:00
    DFawkes wrote:
    I didn't think the Composer re-engineered humans to a primitive state, did it? The problem with the Composer was it didn't recreate things as they were, so was dangerous to use.

I though man was regressed because the Halo Arrays were activated, meaning that advanced humanity were wiped out - the humans we know now descended from the Forerunner seeding ships (as shown in Halo Legends).

Halo array destroys sentient life and was designed to destroy the food supply of the flood. The old humans would still have been food.
    It looked more to do with didact and the composer, the first time the array was fired it wiped out the forerunners too, except ones in shield worlds.

I believe
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 12:59:16
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Watching the terminals now. Pretty cool but confirms my suspicions that Halo is basically StarCraft the FPS. Starcraft itself was Blizzard's AvP.

Infinity bears new relevance.
    I always felt it was more stargate what with all the forerunner thing and religious nutters.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 13:07:04
    Haven't really ever watched Stargate so I can't comment on that. Can't say I'm really into sci fi.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 13:16:24 10-11-2012
  • RedSparrows 10 Nov 2012 13:12:34 22,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's all derivative sci-fi, pew pew!
  • Mola_Ram 10 Nov 2012 13:13:07 7,238 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I must say that I have never given a single shit about Halo's storyline. I barely understood what happened in the second and third games, and never felt like I needed to.

Are the books actually well-written? Serious question - not having a go or anything. I've just had a friend tell me that I can appreciate the story more if I read the books, but would only do so if they're a good read.
  • RedSparrows 10 Nov 2012 13:19:27 22,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not really.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 13:21:22
    The first books are great, book 1 and 3 (2) is basically halo the game.
  • BlackJedi 10 Nov 2012 13:59:51 387 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    it's really hard to care whether Cortana can be saved or not.
    You shut your mouth. You shut your stupid mouth right up, you heartless swine.

:-)
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 15:01:34
    I was abused by a Spectrum as a boy, hence my prejudice.
  • DFawkes 10 Nov 2012 19:30:25 22,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:

Halo array destroys sentient life and was designed to destroy the food supply of the flood. The old humans would still have been food.
    It looked more to do with didact and the composer, the first time the array was fired it wiped out the forerunners too, except ones in shield worlds.

I believe
    For what it's worth I've been reading up on it, as well as rewatching the appropriate section of Halo Legends (Origins), and I was at least mostly right :) Though to call it regression is probably not quite right, given the old humans were wiped out and the new ones simply descended from the Forerunner seeding program. What I'm not clear on is if this is in fact a second regression.

Another thing I'm still not clear on is why they'd bother re-seeding our race though - I assume the Mantle rendered it mandatory.

Edited by DFawkes at 19:25:52 16-11-2012

• RedSparrows 11 Nov 2012 12:18:38 22,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Who designated/started this 'mantle' business?
  • DFawkes 11 Nov 2012 14:38:12 22,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Donald Trump, I think. Or more likely it was handed down to them by the Precursors, a race who came way before everything else and were even more technologically advanced. However, the basis of their technology was extremely susceptible to the Halo Arrays, so was all (supposedly) destroyed.

I assume they just felt, as a super advanced society, that they should make sure everything in the galaxy ran smoothly. I wonder if they'll crop up later in the Reclaimer trilogy? Could happen - if a shield world can
    protect Forerunners and biological samples, surely it can protect Precursor technology? Plus anything that can ascended can descend, could even have the race themselves.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:44:46 11-11-2012

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous