F1 Race Stars

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 00:06:07
    Couldn't find other thread. Lock if old/merge whatever.

So demo is out on the stores today.

+Looks really pretty.
    +Like Pit/repair stops.

/Weapoins are the standard variety. Look nice in places.but a bit dull.
    /race track is a bit dull, but i can see potential. Loved coming in to the final sector of hockenheim

-No drifting. And really bizarre cornering mechancis. Right. This demo presents to you its biggest problem within the first corner. You cannot take a hard bend that well at all. Theres no drifting, no jump to turn mechanic, you have to brake to a near stop to get round it. At first i thought i was missing an important button, like ridge racers press x fun button. Nope. You just can;t get round it.
    Later in the track, the same problem presents it self - but in a weird interesting way which comes from F1 - you have to judge your line right, and use the throttle effectively to get round it - as i was racing i found myself looking for the best corner entry and exit. I sort of enjoyed that - but its instantly puts you at odd with the general game rules of karting. It doesn't do what other kart games do.

- 3000C. Is so slow. yet its the quickest CC you can enter. Car feels a bit floaty.

Edited by joelstinton at 00:07:01 08-11-2012

Edited by joelstinton at 00:09:07 08-11-2012
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 00:10:23
    - pre order exclusive tracks
    - DLCfest
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 00:12:42
    yeah i noticed theres only 11 tracks in the main game. kind of shocking.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 00:13:37
    I watched a fraps my mate took earlier and it looks cracking but I can wait til its a fiver.
  • chub 8 Nov 2012 08:26:18 447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This comes out the same day as Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, which is just madness from the publisher.
  • spikethedog 9 Nov 2012 14:22:41 2 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've played the demo and quite liked it. Its super smooth (feels like 60fps) and very bright and colourful. Its fun and online play will probably be a blast.

As for the lack of power sliding, I quite like it. It gives it a more technical feel and forces you to use the accelerator and brake properly.

I am amazed at the lack of interest in this game though. Virtually no forum posts or comments about it.

It's a Codemasters racing game. Whats not to like??
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Nov 2012 14:42:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Forgot about this. Downloading demo...

Extra tracks on DLC it looks though.
  • IJ 9 Nov 2012 15:38:03 799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    hmmm I played it a bit last night, I think it's a fairly generic Mario Kart clone with little to really raise it above average. it was a little bland and boring. The track was too wide and uninteresting. I liked the F1 touches like slipstreaming etc. Going off track dramtically slows yopu down so you do need to drive properly which I like.

Whoever thought of the warp power-up though needs a talking to. Seeing cars warp infront of you is not fun or interesting.

It's "fine" but nothing special.
  • Agent_Llama 10 Nov 2012 21:08:51 3,333 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played demo. Distinctly dull. Tracks are really pretty but it just feels flat. Controls are not the norm for a karting game. Distinct lack of content, only 11 tracks. There's an extra one (Valencia) in Game's 'special edition' suggesting DLC propping up the number of tracks etc.

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• RobTheBuilder 10 Nov 2012 21:46:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a good idea, with lots of interesting features, but it's also very flawed.

Good:

An alternative to drifty kart mechanics
    I can imagine multiplayer is great fun
    Interesting tracks (if as good as hockenheim)
    Looks good and plays smooth even on my average PC

Bad:
    Weapons not all great
    Feels slow even at 3000cc
    Wish the real drivers did the voices
    Surely the full F1 series of courses should be there. I anticipate a DRM pile up.

All in all a game that I would buy reduced but never pay full price for on this evidence. However, it looks ideal for a sequel that fixes the flaws and turns it into a really fun experience.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 21:47:43 10-11-2012
  • Short-Round 10 Feb 2013 00:21:47 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I'm playing this free via PS+, and am considering buying the dlc tracks, but it says that they can be used for split-screen and online multiplayer. Can they not be used in the single player game?

The game itself is a pain in the arse, glad I didn't pay money for it. It's nice and colourful, and the driving is okay, but alongside the semi-serious driving mechanics is a kart-racer weapons emphasis, so you can't go a few seconds without being hit by something. Just makes the game an exercise in frustration, and a slow one at that.

Edited by Short-Round at 00:22:27 10-02-2013
  • Deleted user 10 February 2013 00:40:26
    @Short-Round
    The manual is the only major failing of the game, the lack of ability to turn off time trial ghosts, and a lack of website timetrial leaderboards is disappointing.

But my advice, just try the time trialling to start with. When you can get a 1:31:xx on Brazil (3000cc) you'll see what the game has to offer.

Below is the content of an email I sent to a friend the other day to get upto speed.

Here is the simple breakdown.

The normal joystick controls steering just like modnation(including forward/back when airborne, or when cornering). Left and right steering add more resistance, and add more when holding down, and less when pushing forward, so less turning equals more speed. 

R2 is accelerate, L2 is break, X is use pickup or prematurely activate kers boost.

Boost levels from kers have 3 levels.

In ascending level of speed:
    Blue level 1, (default land boost level)
    yellow level 2, (default boost pickup level)
    Red level 3.  (Requires triple kers level to reach this speed)

kers corners are marked with a light blue arrow surface. To fill a kers level drive over the kers surface and watch the tank fill up to the 1/3 line. release the accelerator temporarily(tap the break if you need) and hold accelerate down again(while on the kers strip) for it fill up the tank to 2/3 line. repeat again to fill all the way to level three.

When you are leaving the kers strip behind you (not at the side), it will automatically trigger a boost at the level filled in the tank(this is the fast solution in most cases). If you want to trigger it before that, press x provided you don't have a boost pickup item to waste. When a kers boost is automatically triggering watch the stars disappear, then use your stored boost pickup to chain a boost at that kers level. Going red to red or yellow to yellow is the key.

To do a landing boost, get airborne and release the accelerator temporarily. just as you hit the ground accelerate to get the landing boost. You can also time things well to chain landing boosts, pickup boost, to kers boosts, to speed strip boosts.

use all these techniques together to get fast times.
  • neilka 10 Feb 2013 03:21:38 15,628 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you send your friends lots of emails containing the instructions for games?
  • X201 10 Feb 2013 06:04:36 15,124 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:

The game itself is a pain in the arse, glad I didn't pay money for it. It's nice and colourful, and the driving is okay, but alongside the semi-serious driving mechanics is a kart-racer weapons emphasis, so you can't go a few seconds without being hit by something. Just makes the game an exercise in frustration, and a slow one at that.
    ^This^

I feel that they took the easy way out by including th Mario Kart style attack weapons. They should have used the power-ups for things like faster pit service or tighter cornering.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Feb 2013 08:15:33 14,387 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    So I'm playing this free via PS+

This. My 7 year old thinks it is ok, but only ok

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• xero521 10 Feb 2013 09:09:19 134 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Proper shit even for free
  • Deleted user 10 February 2013 10:13:47
    neika: Do you send your friends lots of emails containing the instructions for games?

Most people I know have the digital PSN copy(like I do) for faster load times, and even checking gamefaqs, codies website or the steam demo folder the information to read is virtually non existence. But if you are currently time trial lapping Brazil at sub – 1:32 then I'd expect a far more upbeat impression of the game, and the speed sensation it provides.
  • YenooR 10 Feb 2013 10:28:40 529 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this on ps plus. It's terrible.

Edited by YenooR at 10:30:52 10-02-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 10 Feb 2013 11:43:03 1,615 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agree with the "it's shit" " comments, it really is! Download it on psn+ and didn't even finish a race before quitting it the game and immediately deleting it.

It's bizarre. A cute kart game but F1 branded with real drivers. It feels like they had paid shit loads for the F1 licence and after making the proper game went fuck Mr that licence was expensive! If only there was a way to squeeze more money out of it.... Oh.... Wait...

It also has very few tracks or content. It really seems like it was originally going to be a psn/xbla title but then they thought fuck it let's release it full price.

1/10

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 11:43:43 10-02-2013
  • Deleted user 10 February 2013 12:19:19
    @wobbly_Bob

I think that says more about you as a gamer than it does about this excellent produced game.

All the comments of the “it's shit” variety, are shit comments, and probably are a direct reflection of you being shit at the game. I was never any good at toca 2, but I certainly wouldn't have said it was shit, when it was clearly consider brilliant by those who were good at it.

9/10 ;)
  • Deckard1 10 Feb 2013 12:23:48 27,069 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's actually wrong with you?
  • Bremenacht 10 Feb 2013 12:33:13 17,600 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm guessing that you are good at playing a shit game, which has parallels with your posts in other threads.
  • Short-Round 10 Feb 2013 12:43:31 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @vizzini Well thanks for the tips (I hadn't worked out that landing/boost thing), but it seems from your comments that the only fun to be had is with time trials? In the main game, I spend most of a race trapped in a red, yellow or blue bubble someone off-screen has shot me with. It's just not enjoyable at all, akin to putting weapons in one of their F1 sim games.

Glad I bought LBP Karting (which still has an irksome reliance on weapons) over Christmas to keep on the harddrive. Wanted to grab Sonic next, on PS3 for the crisper graphics, but even in the demo the framerate chugs badly when over water.
  • jonsaan 10 Feb 2013 12:45:44 25,326 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sonic and all stars is superb.

FCUTA!

• DFawkes 10 Feb 2013 12:46:13 22,584 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm genuinely surprised there are so many people that dislike it, I find it a really fun game :) I felt all the stuff that it brought it from being an F1 game, such as KERS, the Pit Line, slipstreaming (not unique to this game, I admit) and the safety car made it into a game where driving technique really matter more than most other kart games.

Yes, like other kart games weapons do bring in an element of randomness that is a bit at odds with the racing, but they're mostly significantly weaker than the same weapons in other karting games so they tend to not set you back as much as you think. Pretty much every weapon can be countered too - when you're near the front of the pack, you'll generally get the sort of weapon you can counter bubble weapons with.

Then you've got drivers with totally different special skills that are all worth trying out as your choice there really does make a difference. There's also the whole risk/reward think of finding the Key power-up (usually on a rough path that'll slow you down) and trying to get to the epic shortcut without losing it.

It's really not a bad game by any stretch, but at the same time I can totally appreciate that some people don't feel that the F1 theme and a kart game gel that well, in much the same way some people didn't feel real cars and weapons didn't gel in Blur. I love Blur too :D

Edited by DFawkes at 12:48:23 10-02-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 10 February 2013 13:02:08
    @Short-Round

No, I'm just saying that understanding what makes a difference to your speed and track knowledge will make the game immeasurably better for you (imo).

DFawkes makes the best argument for the game, highlighting that driving technique is very important. Compared to a Mario kart's drifting mechanic, where someone with specific hands size has a biological advantage, F1 Race Stars is a great game that levels things by racing craft and strategy.

Me and my friends played double dash competitively for years, and time trialled also. We were never going to find the other two seconds (in drift accuracy) to hit world record speeds, purely by having normally large British handsizes.

We still loved the game, but gamers play to win, but also smart enough to know when it isn't a competition you can really participate.

Edited by vizzini at 13:03:23 10-02-2013
  • Short-Round 10 Feb 2013 14:59:51 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DFawkes There's such a thing as being too nice you know, you big hippy ;) I hear what you're saying, but the weapons aren't just a small "element" of the game, they make it a chore and "driving technique" goes out the window. I want to like the game, but it's not helping me.

Edited by Short-Round at 15:26:37 10-02-2013
  • Bremenacht 10 Feb 2013 15:13:44 17,600 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    someone with specific hands size has a biological advantage
    Mind-boggling.
  • MontyBrewster 10 Feb 2013 15:14:30 253 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    But if you are currently time trial lapping Brazil at sub – 1:32 then I'd expect a far more upbeat impression of the game, and the speed sensation it provides.
    On the PS3 there are currently 20 people who've done a sub 1.32 :D
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous