The EU thread Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• FWB 26 Apr 2013 18:16:12 45,613 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spain would have been nothing without the EU.
  • chopsen 26 Apr 2013 18:18:07 16,290 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True story: I bought one of those old fashioned filament bulbs the other day and plugged it in to a light fitting in my house.

BACK OFF BRUSSELS!
  • Moot_Point 12 Jun 2013 15:26:57 4,616 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The noose tightens, as England signs up for new EU security measures. Article.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• MightyMouse 12 Jun 2013 15:36:46 1,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aww crap, things that already happen will happen a bit more efficiently :(
  • RedSparrows 12 Jun 2013 16:01:33 24,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If there's one thing that the EU surely is good at, it's ensuring cross-border police co-operation.
  • Moot_Point 12 Jun 2013 16:16:39 4,616 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I find it risible that we entertain the thought we would ever get a choice to be in the EU. This just confirms it.

================================================================================

• RedSparrows 12 Jun 2013 16:22:57 24,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    (We have had a choice)

I still think there'll be more referendum talk, and it may well happen. Quite why nobody is coming out defending Britain's role in the EU, I don't know. And don't be facile and say 'there nothing to defend'.
  • imamazed 12 Jun 2013 16:33:03 5,959 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Labour will come out and defend it if they win the next general election
  • Moot_Point 12 Jun 2013 16:35:48 4,616 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you are referring to the vote in the '70's, that was a free trade agreement, not a union of Europe. With most of our assets privatised, gold sold off cheap and an overburden of tax in every sector of everyday life, what exactly is there left to fight for?

Great Briton would be a place worth fighting for, but this is England. /shrug

• mcmonkeyplc 12 Jun 2013 16:54:59 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /MASSIVE SMIRK

:D

Come and get it cumslingers!

• RedSparrows 12 Jun 2013 17:52:18 24,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    If you are referring to the vote in the '70's, that was a free trade agreement, not a union of Europe. With most of our assets privatised, gold sold off cheap and an overburden of tax in every sector of everyday life, what exactly is there left to fight for?

Great Briton would be a place worth fighting for, but this is England. /shrug
    It would if you could spell it.

Since when does privatisation, the Dog Whistle of the Gold, and the taxation of this nation actually have anything specifically, irrevocably and uniquely to do with the EU?

Try our friends over the pond.
  • FWB 1 Jul 2013 08:08:37 45,613 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Welcome, Croatia. Hope you guys actually have an economy. Could do with some of that.
  • mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2013 10:17:04 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EU referendum act second reading is today. Lib dem and labour MP's are encouraged NOT to attend.

• mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2013 10:30:04 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Live

Excellent looks like the Lib dems and Labour have taken their parties advise.

It's mainly Conservative twats in there.

• Deleted user 5 July 2013 11:16:43
    It's going to make for some wonderful plate spinning watching half of them make the case for Scotland to stay in the UK and England to leave the EU.
  • mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2013 11:19:30 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're fucking bat shit mental.

That's what scares me. I honestly can't see any logical reason to leave the EU. It's all emotive bullshit.

The EU is flawed, you don't leave it and shout at it to fix from the outside, you fix it from the inside. It's really simple.

• TheSaint 5 Jul 2013 11:23:00 14,833 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You mean like how they are planning to renegotiate before the referendum?

If it is so great I really don't see why anyone is worried about taking it to the public. Surely it should be a fairly easy sell?
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Jul 2013 11:23:20 17,385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    That's what scares me. I honestly can't see any logical reason to leave the EU. It's all emotive bullshit.
    It's about appealing to the UKIP vote, plain and simple. They don't seem to realise that a lot of the UKIP vote is protest (imo) and the Tories changing their policy isn't going to make any difference to those voters. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a cover for the recent GCHQ business or some other thing that they are trying to hide. A referendum wont happen but they have to appear to want one.

You are a factory of sadness.

• imamazed 5 Jul 2013 11:24:42 5,959 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Not that there aren't lots of logical reasons to leave the European Union anyway, but dismissing national identity as "emotive bullshit" is a disservice.

I do agree that those on the right often go beyond this however; and allow it to cloud their judgement.
  • Dougs 5 Jul 2013 11:27:15 69,530 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

If it is so great I really don't see why anyone is worried about taking it to the public. Surely it should be a fairly easy sell?
    The trouble is, the general voting public are idiots who believe pretty much anything they read in the papers or are told by random blokes down the pub etc.
  • mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2013 11:29:24 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    It's about appealing to the UKIP vote, plain and simple. They don't seem to realise that a lot of the UKIP vote is protest (imo) and the Tories changing their policy isn't going to make any difference to those voters. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a cover for the recent GCHQ business or some other thing that they are trying to hide. A referendum wont happen but they have to appear to want one.
    Yeah I can see why the Tories are at it, it's the UKIP maniacs that scare me. It's because of them that this is even being mentioned.

• mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2013 11:30:18 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Not that there aren't lots of logical reasons to leave the European Union anyway, but dismissing national identity as "emotive bullshit" is a disservice.

I do agree that those on the right often go beyond this however; and allow it to cloud their judgement.
    This is part of the problem, what's taking away our national identity?

• mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2013 11:32:43 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh and please state the logical reasons for leaving the EU.

• imamazed 5 Jul 2013 11:33:35 5,959 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

This is part of the problem, what's taking away our national identity?
    I'm not necessarily saying anything is, but one could make a perfectly salient case that the vast regulatory and comformist rules we have to adhere to impacts our culture and landscape in a whole myriad of ways.
  • mcmonkeyplc 5 Jul 2013 11:41:02 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's the UKIP argument and I can provide a piece of evidence that says the EU does the opposite.

Behold the Cumberland Sausage

Behold cheese and beer

:)

There are problems with democratic deficiency but that can be fixed by giving the Parliament more power. There are plenty of problems but my point is leaving is not how you solve them. Leaving will cause a fuckton of whole new problems.

• Destria 5 Jul 2013 12:14:27 2,836 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:

The trouble is, the general voting public are idiots who believe pretty much anything they read in the papers or are told by random blokes down the pub etc.
    Indeed. I generally think that governing by referendum is a bad idea. I thought one of the main purposes of electing people to run the country for us is because we don't have the time and/or expertise to do it ourselves. Whether or not the people we elect DO have that time/expertise and are making any use of it is another thing...
  • RedSparrows 24 Jul 2013 00:19:12 24,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good God, some pro-EU news:

http://www.presseurop.eu/en/content/article/3994711-facts-finally-collide-ideology-europe

Linked there because the FT is paywallified.
  • FWB 24 Jul 2013 00:47:55 45,613 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the moronic public do decide to follow the right-wing papers and bloke down the pub and remove us from the EU, then so be it. They deserve everything that comes with it, including the mass redundancies because companies decide it is comparatively more difficult to do business with us. I'll leave, not just because of the idiocy of it all, but because I will lose my job which relies so much on an influx of foreign nationals. It's already taken a hit thanks to the uber restrictions on non-EU nationals. Take away the EU ones and we're in trouble.

Do agree about renegotiating things though. It's become bloated and quite a farce in places.
  • Tom_Servo 24 Jul 2013 00:50:42 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder if there would be a bit of a brain drain. If it looked like we were on the way out I'd probably leave.
  • FWB 24 Jul 2013 08:27:19 45,613 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think quite a few would leave. But ho hum, if exiting the EU is the path the majority want, I don't want to be associated or attempt to build a society with the cretins.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last