The EU thread Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• El_MUERkO 11 Feb 2013 13:45:57 17,050 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What bugs me most about the budget reduction was where they choose to cut funding. They cut 8b from a 9b broadband network improvement programme but left the common agricultural policy untouched.

Like Cameron with High Speed Rail or Trident, there seems to be a wastefulness that goes beyond incompetence and towards sabotage. A level on ineptitude I can't believe an educated person, regardless of ideology, could make.
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Feb 2013 13:50:27 39,464 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Exactly, great win there Cameron....it's not just that cunt jobs fault though.

It's Hollande and Merkel as well. They're all at it.

Union my arse.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 13:51:15 11-02-2013

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 11 Feb 2013 13:52:42 39,464 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I honestly hope the Parliament votes this down and tells them to focus on growth.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 13:52:52 11-02-2013

• RedSparrows 11 Feb 2013 14:05:59 22,906 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    What bugs me most about the budget reduction was where they choose to cut funding. They cut 8b from a 9b broadband network improvement programme but left the common agricultural policy untouched.

Like Cameron with High Speed Rail or Trident, there seems to be a wastefulness that goes beyond incompetence and towards sabotage. A level on ineptitude I can't believe an educated person, regardless of ideology, could make.
    4 billion cut from the university budget - a MASSIVE percentage of the whole.

4 fucking billion. Peanuts in all this.
  • Bremenacht 11 Feb 2013 14:22:47 18,459 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:

I think the way it works is that they count the pies, count the fingers, and then discard the pies with the least fingers in them. German fingers count as double.
  • TheSaint 28 Feb 2013 13:47:47 14,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No discussion of these ridiculous new EU bonus limits? They just had an EU bureaucrat on radio 4 who compared bankers to drug dealers in a rather impressive PR disaster.
  • oceanmotion 28 Feb 2013 13:52:50 15,976 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Won't they just increase base salary.

Never understood the excuse of driving away talent. Where else would they happily go ?
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 Feb 2013 13:54:23 39,464 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Singapore and errm New York although New york not so much.

They will just increase the base salary. They'll find a way round this easily. It's a bobins populist move.

• TheSaint 28 Feb 2013 13:55:02 14,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well the office of an American bank across the road would be exempt from these new rules.
  • spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 13:56:55 27,377 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Won't they just increase base salary.

Never understood the excuse of driving away talent. Where else would they happily go ?
    Probably, but part of whole way that the bonuses were paid out, as I understand it, were done in ways that managed to bypass income tax (deferred bonuses and shares, gratuities, etc). If this forces them to add it on to their main salary, then that would be more money going into HMRC's coffers.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• TheSaint 28 Feb 2013 14:09:37 14,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The weirdest part of the whole thing is that it will limit what Barclays or other European banks can pay their staff around the world yet people who works for foreign banks in London (or elsewhere in the EU) won't be affected.

As for the drug dealer comment the interviewer asked if this would lead to bankers leaving London and the guy from the EU replied with something along the lines of "Probably, but nobody complains when drug dealers are removed from their streets."

It was a bit WTF to say the least.
  • spamdangled 28 Feb 2013 14:12:35 27,377 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh dear, that does sound like a bit of a cock-up. Any idea who it was that was being interviewed?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mcmonkeyplc 28 Feb 2013 14:13:02 39,464 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This anti-banking thing is going to far when a minister says things like that.

• glo 28 Feb 2013 14:25:32 3,425 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

As for the drug dealer comment the interviewer asked if this would lead to bankers leaving London and the guy from the EU replied with something along the lines of "Probably, but nobody complains when drug dealers are removed from their streets."

It was a bit WTF to say the least.
    You are not wrong there - drug dealers provide a much greater service to society than bankers. If I was a dealer I would be deeply insulted at such a terrible slur on my reputation.
  • TheSaint 28 Feb 2013 14:28:04 14,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't remember the name sorry. It was around 15mins in to The World At One.
  • TheSaint 28 Feb 2013 14:28:41 14,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think he was just a bureaucrat rather than a minister.
  • Moot_Point 16 Mar 2013 21:09:49 4,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21814325

How can private savings be held as collateral without consent from those whose savings they are?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• faux-C 16 Mar 2013 21:21:20 9,398 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The money only exists as a promise from the government to pay it. They can do whatever the fuck they want.
  • jellyhead 16 Mar 2013 21:22:03 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It would seem so. That's scary, really scary.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Moot_Point 16 Mar 2013 21:37:05 4,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well doesn't that make savings pointless then? I thought savings were meant to be a safe haven from this sort of thing. I might have to look into a decent mattress instead if the banking institutions are going to impose austerity on personal saving accounts when lending governments loans.

================================================================================

• Moot_Point 16 Mar 2013 21:37:06 4,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well doesn't that make savings pointless then? I thought savings were meant to be a safe haven from this sort of thing. I might have to look into a decent mattress instead if the banking institutions are going to impose austerity on personal saving accounts when lending governments loans.

• DaM 16 Mar 2013 23:26:29 13,272 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Half the money in Cypriot banks is thought to be put there by Russians for money laundering purposes.
  • Moot_Point 16 Mar 2013 23:45:34 4,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can really see how that's the perfect excuse to steal hardworking citizens money from their savings account and offer shares in banks bordering on bankruptcy. Doesn't inspire confidence in banks for the future though, does it?

• DaM 17 Mar 2013 08:10:55 13,272 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    I can really see how that's the perfect excuse to steal hardworking citizens money from their savings account and offer shares in banks bordering on bankruptcy. Doesn't inspire confidence in banks for the future though, does it?
    I didn't say it was, just pointing out there was something weird going on. Other countries in trouble have introduced property taxes.
  • Moot_Point 17 Mar 2013 23:57:16 4,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9936480/EU-raid-on-savings-to-fund-bail-out-for-Cyprus-threatens-recovery.html

This could expediate an economic collapse if people think banks cannot be trusted with their savings, due to panic withdrawals.

Edited by Moot_Point at 23:58:04 17-03-2013

• TheSaint 22 Mar 2013 15:15:08 14,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So Cyprus should leave it until Monday and call Germany's bluff?
  • Moot_Point 26 Mar 2013 11:32:41 4,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks like another country is aiming to tax the rich.Article

Edited by Moot_Point at 11:33:34 26-03-2013

• DaM 26 Mar 2013 12:24:36 13,272 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't but think that this will backfire on them. They might raise the money short term, but surely no one will ever invest in Cyprus now, if they feel their assets are up for grabs? Or put any money in their banks?
  • Deleted user 31 March 2013 19:17:09
    Why the Euro is doomed

(I hope not: I've got a fair amount invested in Euro bonds....)
  • Bremenacht 26 Apr 2013 18:07:16 18,459 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit of E(M)U bashing by a throughly jolly fellow:

Italy needs Churchillian leader to fight 'war damage' of EU austerity
    The great Spanish nation can end its crucifixion at will by leaving EMU

The Spanish one probably belongs in the scary thread. The lefty idea of ending a financial crisis by creating a scary political crisis is interesting. You'd think it was a right-wingers idea.

Who would lose? Reading the two articles, you'd get the impression that the Med countries could only benefit. Germany would be the big loser imo, as it would lose markets in which to sell its manufactured goods relatively cheaply.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last