The EU thread

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Nov 2012 09:26:40 39,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seeing as we have a thread for the US, China, Russia and the UK I thought we could do with one for everyone's favourite blame mule.

To kick things off the DG (ministry) for communications Networks, content and technology (CONNECT) has created a survey to gauge public attitude to it's policies and what the public feels is important.

Stake holder survey

Take it and let them know how important you think a single digital market is...or how unimportant it is. Either way it's your chance to get involved at the EU level.

Also this thread is tailor made for otto to win :)

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 09:27:10 07-11-2012

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Moot_Point 7 Nov 2012 09:32:20 3,983 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The single market idea is fine. It is the political and monetary union that is causing the EU problems.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 7 November 2012 09:35:33
    I don't see what it's for other than other countries to take money from us.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 09:38:53
    Moot_Point wrote:
    The single market idea is fine. It is the political and monetary union that is causing the EU problems.
    No it isn't, the idea of individuality is the problem.
  • neilka 7 Nov 2012 09:40:17 15,861 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't we already got a Wii U thread?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• monkman76 7 Nov 2012 09:40:37 4,185 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    UKipyXUK wrote:
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Nov 2012 09:40:48 39,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    You can't have an effective single market without a political and monetary union. How else are you going to govern it?

• monkman76 7 Nov 2012 09:41:31 4,185 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    You can't have an effective single market without a political and monetary union. How else are you going to govern it?
    We did for over two decades didn't we?
  • sport 7 Nov 2012 09:42:14 12,697 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    O...BA...MA!!
    O...BA...MA!!
    O...BA...MA!!
    O...BA...MA!!
    O...BA...MA!!
    O...BA...MA!!
  • X201 7 Nov 2012 09:43:52 15,274 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    So that the Daily Mail can twist the truth and print loads of bollocks and blame the EU.

"Now Brussels takes aim at the Famous Five! Books portraying ‘traditional’ families could be barred (Daily Mail, 7th November 2012)

The EU response
    The European Union has no power under the EU treaties to decide what is taught in UK schools or to decide certain books cannot be made available. There is not the remotest chance of the European Commission making a proposal to “bar” Famous Five books as such a proposal would be illegal. Neither does this report suggest that should happen, it expresses a view that study materials should avoid gender stereotyping – a widely held opinion. For those issues where in theory there is scope for EU legislation this is a report from a single European Parliament Committee, it has not been endorsed by the Parliament and even if it were, it would have no effect unless the European Commission brought forward proposals and a large majority of the Member States supported them."
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Nov 2012 09:44:59 39,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    We did for over two decades didn't we?
    No we didn't...that was a free trade area not a common single market where everyone plays by the same rules.

• monkman76 7 Nov 2012 09:47:41 4,185 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh right. That then, let's go back to that.
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Nov 2012 09:49:28 39,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why?

• Moot_Point 7 Nov 2012 09:55:35 3,983 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    You do not need political union for something politicians can regulate by negotiation. Having non-elected bureaucrats is certainly not the way to go for political union (which is the current system). I do not know those making the policies that change my life and the way it works in power in the EU, but i do know England is much worse for it. /eats bendy banana

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• disusedgenius 7 Nov 2012 09:56:31 5,284 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it probably says a lot that there's certain areas which I actually trust the EU with more than my own government. Generally it seems like progress to be, all be it a bit shit compared with The Federation, which is clearly the end game.
  • disusedgenius 7 Nov 2012 09:58:39 5,284 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    /eats bendy banana
    To be fair, if we left I would miss the right wing papers just making crazy shit up for the sake of it.
  • RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 10:18:17 22,332 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    A lot of places in the UK have benefitted from EU money.

No idea of the balance sheet, but it's not one-way traffic.
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Nov 2012 10:18:23 39,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    You do not need political union for something politicians can regulate by negotiation. Having non-elected bureaucrats is certainly not the way to go for political union (which is the current system). I do not know those making the policies that change my life and the way it works in power in the EU, but i do know England is much worse for it. /eats bendy banana
    Who does the negotiations then? The only part of the EU that isn't elected is the commission and their appointed by the council of Europe (Leaders of each state) which is elected by the people. The EU parliament on the other hand IS directly elected by me and you. It's been gaining more and more power with every treaty, It blocked Sopa for example.

The fact that you don't know this is a failing in the EU it's self. They're like the kid at school that takes beatings and just carry's on. There is a democratic deficit in the EU but that is nowhere near as bad as it used to be and can be solved by giving the parliament more power. The council of Europe doesn't want to give the parliament more power it starts to undermine their control that's the grid lock we're in at the moment.

It really is a clusterfuck of communication and the media love playing on it and why the hell not. If you're not transparent enough people will make stuff up.

• RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 10:19:11 22,332 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    /eats bendy banana
    To be fair, if we left I would miss the right wing papers just making crazy shit up for the sake of it.
    That'd never stop. They'd just find another scapegoat.
  • ScoutTech 7 Nov 2012 11:53:49 2,423 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    It really is a clusterfuck of communication and the media love playing on it and why the hell not. If you're not transparent enough people will make stuff up.
    That is the issue, as ever, where do you go to get correct information. You have 3rd Parties saying another.

Also why do we need the EU to pay for projects? It's jolly nice of them but why not use the £9.2 billion we pay to do that? & why have rebates, why not just not pay that amount of money.

I can kind of see the point of the original EU Market but it just seems to have bloated and grown to a silly point where either we become a federation and all have to do the same thing, which I do not think will work, or we need to hack it down to size.
  • sport 7 Nov 2012 12:08:34 12,697 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think another interesting point about the EU is tha...ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
  • LeoliansBro 7 Nov 2012 12:36:55 43,825 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Inflexible financial union and flexible political and economic union. Madness.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 7 Nov 2012 14:12:28 17,843 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I think another interesting point about the EU is tha...ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    Well, I'd like to take you up on that point and direct your attention towards... ZZzz ahhhh what's on telly tonight? It's very windy today.
  • Salaman 7 Nov 2012 14:36:59 18,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The bit I don't get is that you (the UK) seem so dead against it, you'd think the other countries held you down, sat on you and made you sign the papers to join or something.

It just seems like you joined because you saw people forming a club and you didn't want to be left out but now you're just going to sit there and whine and complain about everything. Just leave. Off you go.
    If you're so sure you'd be better of not being a member why are you still here.
  • LeoliansBro 7 Nov 2012 15:02:04 43,825 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We're afraid of being left on the outside if it works, and afraid on being stuck on the inside if it doesn't. See also: France and Germany strongarming everyone and building it around their agendas (esp France in the early days). Same thing.

Everyone else was just happy to get an invite.

Edit: plus we are jockeying for advantage. But show me one altruistic country in this whole clusterfuck.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 15:04:31 07-11-2012

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• AcidSnake 7 Nov 2012 15:08:11 7,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be hard pressed to find a single altruistic country, period...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• kalel 7 Nov 2012 15:08:52 87,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really like Polish builders.
  • alexc7496 7 Nov 2012 15:24:41 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a Brit I can see positives and negatives to the EU. I would class myself as more pro EU, but, I would prefer us as a nation not to join the single currency as I feel we should have our own currency. That being said the expansion of the EU has had some major positives, immigration to the UK on the whole has been a good thing, skilled workers coming over willing to work hard and pay their way, no matter what the Daily Mail says. Also the relaxation of some trade laws to make cross country trading easier has worked well and also some human rights laws, again, ignore the Daily Mail, have forced some countries to change some of the more unfair practices in their respective countries. Some of the negative aspects have been the current financial situation which wasn't all the fault of the EU but you feel they didn't respond quickly enough or see the danger in front of them.

That being said I still feel the EU is a force for good if used the right way and as we are an island nation I feel it is in our nature to be more sceptical than other such nations.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Nov 2012 10:17:04 39,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Free trade area between EU and USA to begin negotiations in 2013

That would be an awesome deal for both sides at the moment. I am genuinely optimistic about this!

Would also give the UKip crowd something else to think about.

• mcmonkeyplc 11 Dec 2012 13:40:38 39,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Economist article explaining introducing why exiting the EU would be reckless

BBC article on why our dear leader is having such a hard time writing a speech about Europe policy

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous