Work : Linked in

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TOOTR 2 Nov 2012 13:18:34 9,647 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not expecting a deluge of posts to this one but do any other EGers use Linked in?

If so - what is this latest 'So and So has endorsed you' madness all about Alfie eh?

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• RedSparrows 2 Nov 2012 13:19:27 24,222 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't: it's full of business wank-speak.

I do have a profile, somewhere.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2012 13:20:46
    Yes, it's useful for getting a job.
  • disusedgenius 2 Nov 2012 13:20:51 5,614 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just use it as an easily-linked CV with a few references. They do love their spam though, has to be said.
  • quadfather 2 Nov 2012 13:22:17 13,365 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've noticed more of that recently. It has to be something beneficial to them, because the people that have endorsed me are utter twats.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Trafford 2 Nov 2012 13:23:15 5,970 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I use it to stalk customers, clients and old school friends.
  • Dougs 2 Nov 2012 13:25:14 69,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I use it when reminded to. Like now. As long as I can remember the password. Whoops.
  • MMMarmite 2 Nov 2012 13:27:48 1,108 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    They do love their spam though, has to be said.
    Who doesn't ;)
  • chopsen 2 Nov 2012 13:30:19 16,290 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This just reminded me to delete my account. Cheers!

I still get shit loads of spam despite multiple attempts to disable it, and it is of zero value to me.
  • Ginger 2 Nov 2012 13:30:22 6,916 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Using it more and more - to find useful contacts at companies I need to get in touch with, jobs (just applied for one on there so we'll see how that goes).

The endorsed thing seems to be a way to cut some of the bullshitters off, if lots of people endorse you for something you can probably be trusted to know something about it.

London open taekwondo champion

• mikew1985 2 Nov 2012 13:33:35 13,033 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is good, but only if you properly maintain it and keep it very professional.

Every HR/Recruitment function in every big business will use it to check up on any potetntial hires before making an offer. It may be full of business speak (a massive suprise this is not) but as Arrgh said, it is useful for finding yourself a job.
  • Fab4 2 Nov 2012 13:34:09 6,216 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't use it any more but I am on it. I still haven't linked with my senior bosses or half of the people I work with though despite the constant spam reminders.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2012 13:39:47
    I recently updated mine, and the amount of people viewing it shot up. So i think its worth it.
  • MMMarmite 2 Nov 2012 13:56:21 1,108 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @joelstinton overheard some recruitment guy's conversation on the train once, his tip was to regularly make a small change to keep your profile near the top of HR-bods search results.
  • Salaman 2 Nov 2012 14:10:50 19,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To answer the OP. LinkedIn recently changed a bit. A new look and layout, new bits of info that are visible on your profile etc.
    One part of the change is the skills section they added.
    The idea seems to be that they list a huge amount of skills and you then go through and click what you feel applies to you. People who know you and worked with you can then "endorse" this which will make it more believable that you have these skills and didn't just go through and list a bunch.

It seems that they're trying to get the ball rolling by suggesting skills for people in your network, along with a convenient "Endorse" button next to it, allowing you to go "Yeah, James knows a bit about Social Media. I'll hit the endorse button".

I liked the old "recommendations" system better but it became ridiculously hidden over time.
  • PrivateFloyd 5 Nov 2012 22:32:52 4,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Weird that this thread should pop up.

I work in a relatively niche sector of the leisure industry, got contacted by a management recruitment agency a few days back registering their interest in my experience, all through LinkedIn.

Couple of phone calls and a meet later and despite me really considering that it might not be the right time (8 month old baby, imminent house move and new mortgage) I appear to be on the cusp of being offered a position at what could be considered the metaphoric pinnacle of my particular profession. But its on the other side of the globe.

Weird few days.

Goat is hungry.....

• beastmaster 5 Nov 2012 22:56:47 11,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never used it.

However, if you want to have fun with it, think of it as Pokemon. Gotta catch them all!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 22 April 2013 14:03:21
    So what's the etiquette for endorsing people? Some people have been endorsing my skills, do I just go to their profile and pick a random skill to endorse in return? Despite having zero experience of their particular skill.
  • RedSparrows 22 Apr 2013 14:04:26 24,222 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My uncle endorsed me for everything. I can't quite return the favour, if I am being honest.
  • Deleted user 22 April 2013 14:16:13
    Haha, that's like the work version of your mum liking all the pictures of you on facebook.
  • Deleted user 22 April 2013 14:32:12
    yeah it is, its a bit pointless. Its just a work version of facebook with a chance someone might contact you about a job. All that happens is friends just endorse you.

Saying that i had a charity contact me recently through it, so i guess it is worth doing it.
  • Benno 22 Apr 2013 14:35:18 10,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Its good for industries like mine, which are quite niche. You get to know the big names and companies in the industry, and it helps you network. I use it like a business facebook, which I guess is its primary use for most people.

I do get contacted regularly by recruitment consultants, so if I ever wanted to switch jobs, I would probably hook something up through linkedin.

My profile if pretty bare though, I haven't really updated it since I made it
  • TheSaint 22 Apr 2013 14:37:04 14,827 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So it's Facebook without bikini pictures? Sounds pointless if you ask me.
  • guts 30 May 2013 22:24:17 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A guy at my company set one up for our business so I have actually put a bit of effort into my profile and 'linked up' with a few people. Not in a massively unheard of market if you are in the construction business but the new look seems good for making new contacts, keeping up with the latest trends and looks like it would be very useful if I wanted to change jobs (always open to offers.
    Oh, and one more thing, you can hook up with me here...

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• RobTheBuilder 30 May 2013 23:00:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not in construction but I have written a Construction Marketing Award winning paper...!
  • elstoof 30 May 2013 23:05:01 8,306 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do bodies really get disposed of in concrete foundations?
  • guts 31 May 2013 01:16:11 1,690 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I couldn't possibly comment on that one.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Alastair 31 May 2013 08:26:20 16,405 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Not in construction but I have written a Construction Marketing Award winning paper...!
    So.... you're username is..... a lie???
  • twelveways 31 May 2013 12:16:18 4,191 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used LinkedIn but only so I can show my boss all the fake job offers that I get and use them to wangle pay rises.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next