Star Wars Episode 7 Page 4

• Page

of 86 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 October 2012 23:38:43
    @trolling accussations

Certainly not, it is just difficult to make a point without damaging the perception of the originals too badly. Here is an example:

Look at the much loved episode 5. it is an excellent film, but if you look closely at the opening construct you'd find it draws so many parallels and elements from episode 4 in the first 25minutes to ensure the audience felt it was definitely the same SW stuff, and to replicate the surprise phenomenon that was “A New Hope”. Star destroyer over smaller ship near plant (check), droid being ejected for landing on nearby plant (check), landing of droid in soft substance (check), possible death of luke out searching for something (check), luke found alive and tasked by Obi-wan for training (check), falcon leaving hanger under heavy storm trooper gun fire (check). The list goes on like that for a while, until director/writer are eventually given some latitude to bring in some great new SW material.

Check reviews of the films all over (Amazon is a good start). Others have overcome the initial review trashing that was popular at first. Real star wars fans have started to be more pragmatic about all the films, and been able to watch the newer films without the burden of +20years expectation, and feeling 1,2,3 have to yield to 4,5,6's historical requirements to be great.

I'm also making this point as someone having read 3x trilogies of +300 page books, plus a 10th stand alone book, set around 4,5,6, (back around 1996 before 1,2,3 were even made). As much as I enjoyed each book, the cupboard was effectively empty. They all repackaged well know elements of 4,5,6 to have the star wars effect because the new material wasn't strong enough to stand alone.

I'm always surprised no one is even remotely interested in whether “the adventures of mace windu” continued when Mace exited the building in episode 3? Is that not a paradox right there about the entire existence of star wars 4,5,6? One that could be fixed by Disney ...
  • Triggerhappytel 30 Oct 2012 23:39:13 2,667 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    Joss Whedon to direct a Star Wars film, how terrific would that be?
    Joss Whedon already did an awesome TV series and film about Han Solo. It was better without all the Jedi nonsense.
  • superdelphinus 30 Oct 2012 23:44:09 8,011 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Funny that people hope a new Star Wars isn't aimed at kids

Disney have made some pretty good fantasy films over the years, to be fair to them
  • Whizzo 30 Oct 2012 23:46:02 43,031 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    vizzini wrote:I'm always surprised no one is even remotely interested in whether “the adventures of mace windu” continued when Mace exited the building in episode 3? Is that not a paradox right there about the entire existence of star wars 4,5,6? One that could be fixed by Disney ...
    Something NO-ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT, Windu died.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Chopsen 30 Oct 2012 23:46:24 15,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    This is amazing news. Don't care about Star Wars but it means we might get more Plinkett reviews.
    This had never occurred to me, but I approve.

Also: surely, this all means we're heading for a reboot, no?

Edited by Chopsen at 23:46:42 30-10-2012
  • Mola_Ram 30 Oct 2012 23:47:56 6,938 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Disney have made some pretty good fantasy films over the years, to be fair to them
    But they also made John Carter.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 23:48:39 30-10-2012
  • stryker1121 30 Oct 2012 23:48:13 662 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Thrawn stuff takes place soon after Jedi. Harrison Ford is ready to be excavated in an archaeological dig by now, and Hamill's The Joker. Do you recast, then? Good luck w/ that. Mickey would be hung in effigy the world over.
  • FWB 30 Oct 2012 23:48:36 43,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those are nice tries, vizz, but nobody is falling for it . :)
  • spamdangled 30 Oct 2012 23:50:42 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    I'm always surprised no one is even remotely interested in whether “the adventures of mace windu” continued when Mace exited the building in episode 3?
    That's because Mace Windu was a shit character with fuck all screen time and even less characterisation. The only scene he was in that I can even clearly remember was the one where he died.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:51:04 30-10-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Chopsen 30 Oct 2012 23:52:13 15,699 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    The Thrawn stuff takes place soon after Jedi. Harrison Ford is ready to be excavated in an archaeological dig by now, and Hamill's The Joker. Do you recast, then? Good luck w/ that. Mickey would be hung in effigy the world over.
    Like I said, reboot would be the obvious way to go with this.

Milk the established material for all its got (Disney has enough fingers in pies, merchandise like Lucas could not believe, and re-releasing the original sans Neckface Molestation in a no-brainer) then basically treat it in the same way Hollywood has treated comic book franchises - reboot to fuckery.

edit: not that I know what this thrawn stuff that gets mentioned means.

Edited by Chopsen at 23:52:46 30-10-2012
  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 23:54:35
    Three more !

http://m.deadline.com/2012/10/star-wars-disney-episode-7-three-more-movies-planned/
  • spamdangled 30 Oct 2012 23:55:30 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    Good point.

Ignore the EU entirely then? Thrawn takes place a few years after ROTJ iirc, there's some gaps to be possibly be filled there. No reason a new trilogy even has to use the same characters, it could quite happily exist in the same universe with its own cast if the story is strong enough.

Would still love a KotOR film though, that's a largely unexplored era of continuity (bearing in mind it spans several thousand years) that is absolutely rife with film potential, being as it is an era where the Sith are just as much a presence as the Jedi. Loads of good potential there for a bloody good Star Wars film.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 31 October 2012 00:00:47
    @darkmargado

The same Mace Windu that despatched Fete quickly(compare with obi-wan), bested the mighty Emperor with consummate ease, while even the mighty Yoda struggled. As he ultimately failed when he lost his higher ground position(as reverse parallel with Obi-wan simultaneous victory).

In Episode 2 we saw both Obi-wan and Skywalker safely recover from such high falls in the city without death, but apparently the ultimate jedi that the whole star wars universe was based on, was “shit”?
  • gooner77 31 Oct 2012 00:00:59 728 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The thought that Pixar could work on Star Wars films is a happy one for me !!
  • beastmaster 31 Oct 2012 00:02:47 11,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nothing to suggest they couldn't base it around Darth Maul.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• spamdangled 31 Oct 2012 00:05:27 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Nothing to suggest they couldn't base it around Darth Maul.
    There's actually a lot of stuff in the EU already based around Darth Maul. Believe it or not, he is apparently now one of the most popular Darths after Vader.

• spamdangled 31 Oct 2012 00:07:03 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @darkmargado

The same Mace Windu that despatched Fete quickly(compare with obi-wan), bested the mighty Emperor with consummate ease, while even the mighty Yoda struggled. As he ultimately failed when he lost his higher ground position(as reverse parallel with Obi-wan simultaneous victory).

In Episode 2 we saw both Obi-wan and Skywalker safely recover from such high falls in the city without death, but apparently the ultimate jedi that the whole star wars universe was based on, was “shit”?
    Since when was the whole SW universe based on Mace Windu? That's certainly what you seem to be saying.

The harsh truth is that he almost certainly didn't even exist as a character except to shoehorn another possible action figure into the merchandise, with a couple of action scenes thrown his way to make him look a bit awesome. You seem to be making out as if he is some sort of almighty example that all Jedi should aspire to (I'll resist getting into an argument about why his behaviour actually contradicts the Jedi code) and somehow intrinsic to the lore.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:10:12 31-10-2012

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:13:26 31-10-2012

• Daryoon 31 Oct 2012 00:14:39 4,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    20-30 year time skip. Luke Obi-Waning it up to Leia/Han sprog(s). Basically do what they did with Tron. Simple enough really. It's a kid's series, remember.
  • superdelphinus 31 Oct 2012 00:17:16 8,011 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "There's actually a lot of stuff in the EU already based around Darth Maul"

Like who, Germans?
  • Deleted user 31 October 2012 00:19:02
    Presumably, vizzini is talking about Lucas's original draft for SW, when the lead character and narrator was called Mace Windu. Which still doesn't make his comment make much sense, but there we go.
  • spamdangled 31 Oct 2012 00:19:15 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    20-30 year time skip. Luke Obi-Waning it up to Leia/Han sprog(s). Basically do what they did with Tron. Simple enough really. It's a kid's series, remember.
    Jedis live for hundreds of years. I think Luke was about 200 before they finally killed him off.

• beach 31 Oct 2012 00:24:40 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No it's not a kids series, it's a sci-fi story and it's upto new writers and directors to put their mark on it. It can easily be adult. But seeing as it's Disney, then yes it will be kids based entertainment, but hopefully still good.
  • Deleted user 31 October 2012 00:27:06
    @darkmorgado

The interview I watched of Lucas back around 1990, said the intended 6 part SW story, was called SW: The adventures of Mace Windu originally; about a super powerful Jedi.

Episodes 1,2,3 were eventually abandoned for being too slow to get to the action, and Mace was eventually written out of 4 when they rewrote and renamed the film A New Hope, focusing on Luke instead.
  • spamdangled 31 Oct 2012 00:31:02 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Would love to see some sort of citation backing up the existence of that interview.

• Maturin 31 Oct 2012 00:34:25 2,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mace Windu is a name that's been around the drafts of the stories for a very long time. Just like Anakin Starkiller was. But the name isn't the character - many of the character names have been around for ages without the character they became on film being very connected to them.
  • Deleted user 31 October 2012 00:34:53
    They didn't write him out, really. George changed him a bit and called him Obi Wan.
  • FWB 31 Oct 2012 00:40:29 43,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dark, he's fucking with you. :)
  • Deleted user 31 October 2012 00:40:35
    @darkmorgado

It might even still be in the DVD extras discs, prior to the digital remaster of 4, 5, 6.

I'll try consult with my brother's Star Wars universe book(from before 1,2,3) when I'm next over, to see if it is still in there. Sadly Lucas as changed his story slightly almost every time he was interviewed over the 35years. I only ever bother to keep the latest film versions so tracking through to find his soundbites will be tough.

From the original making films I watched on TV in the 80's to blu-ray box set, everything slightly changes, and wikipedia has no chance of being correct now.
  • Maturin 31 Oct 2012 00:47:00 2,889 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The notated screenplay book for the original movies is very good. Lots of detail about plot development during the making of the movies - such as two Death Stars for Jedi and other such madness. Features excerpts of early draughts and interviews with folks with better memory than Lucas.
  • Deleted user 31 October 2012 02:18:45
    I just heard about this on the news, George Lucas is such a whore for money.
  • Page

of 86 First / Last