Star Wars Episode 7 Page 49

• Page

of 87 First / Last

• Blotto 18 Apr 2013 20:17:05 2,773 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They've got a fantastic universe there to exploit, worst thing they could do would be to try and replicate the old films.

Just try and make a good movie in that universe, don't try and replicate the old ones because even if they're fucking amazing, everyone's rose tinted glasses will tell them its not as good as the film they saw as a kid.

A gangster movie set in the star wars universe could be cool, doesn't have to be some big space opera.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 20:24:41
    kalel wrote:
    This is relevant:

http://screencrush.com/harrison-ford-star-wars-jimmy-kimmel/
    Maybe ironic, given the topic of conversation, but it was better the first time they did it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWTtMdXAazs
  • Khanivor 18 Apr 2013 20:25:08 40,527 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What they need to do is make a film which about fucking spaceships. With cool people flying them.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 20:27:06
    Khanivor wrote:
    What they need to do is make a film which about fucking spaceships. With cool people flying them.
  • Khanivor 18 Apr 2013 20:29:05 40,527 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RE your earlier point; do you think 30 years from now you will have a major entertainment show making a riff off of Twilight every few weeks?
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 20:41:34
    Yyyeah, again, I wasn't inviting direct comparison. I was pointing out that it was a memetic event rather than just "three films", an event that really overshadows and clouds any inherent judgment of quality. In the same way that Twilight has become more than just however many crappy books and films it spawned. See my previous point about the original films being perfect storms, and that trying to replicate that is almost guaranteed to fail. Which makes Episode 7 almost doomed before it begins - people don't want another prequel trilogy, but they're not going to get another original trilogy either.

If you want, change the reference from Twilight to Harry Potter. Or World of Warcraft. Or any other cultural entertainment trend that transcends its original medium.
  • Khanivor 18 Apr 2013 20:56:51 40,527 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was certainly a perfect storm in that those films also revolutionised film-making and promotion and have had an impact on general culture which even the HP productions will never come close to amounting to.

As individual films they are not the best ever. No one has ever claimed such. But the worlds and characters created transcend the quality of the acting or script. There's something about the Star Wars universe which appeals far beyond the sum of its parts. You only have to look at the success of the prequels to see that there are legions of beholders.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 21:01:34
    Khanivor wrote:
    As individual films they are not the best ever. No one has ever claimed such.
    That's the thing, people are. Not necessarily here (although we've gotten close), but certainly as a larger thing they're treated as sacrosanct, and that some people are seemingly demanding that Episode 7 needs to be basically identical to Episode 4, which is going to be an impossibility. You cannot artificially recreate the Star Wars phenomenon as it was in '77, merely continue the phenomenon as it exists in 2013. Aside from that, you're making the exact same point I just did.
  • Khanivor 18 Apr 2013 21:03:36 40,527 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fair enough.
  • twelveways 18 Apr 2013 21:09:56 3,971 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some people are wanting that, but they are generally the kind of people who have all the figurines in immaculte condition and live in their mum's attic. Most people I know would like a more grown up version, not necessarily an 18 cert but just an acknowledgement that the true fans of the franchise have grown up and don't want Jar Jar Binks and flashy robots.

I think episode 6 was a push in the right direction in a few scenes, the creation of Vader for example but it was too little, too late.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 21:18:51
    Either way I think a whole lot of people are in for disappointment. In fact, the only people who are basically guaranteed to not be disappointed are people who don't give much of a fuck about Star Wars anyway, seeing it more as a summer movie of pew pew lasers amongst all the superhero guff.
  • Khanivor 18 Apr 2013 21:22:26 40,527 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the prequels suffered from the type of technology they were showcasing. The OT showcased tech which really only involved VFX which supplemented the action. When they were the action, they happened in their own sphere. In the PT, the tech concerned creating worlds where the action happened and this necessitated a sterile style, something which improved over the course of the three films. It also gave Lucas the ability to do things which must have seemed awesome in his head but were really a stride too far, such as the arena fight.

Some really crappy scripting didn't help either.
  • Deckard1 18 Apr 2013 21:29:56 27,693 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Look they managed to make a decent Star Trek film. STAR TREK. Anything can happen.

Hush you ponce

• ronuds 18 Apr 2013 22:05:19 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Decent is good enough for Star Trek, though.
  • TOOTR 23 Apr 2013 17:55:16 9,519 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tee hee

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• varsas 24 Apr 2013 12:47:45 2,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Some people are wanting that, but they are generally the kind of people who have all the figurines in immaculte condition and live in their mum's attic. Most people I know would like a more grown up version, not necessarily an 18 cert but just an acknowledgement that the true fans of the franchise have grown up and don't want Jar Jar Binks and flashy robots.

I think episode 6 was a push in the right direction in a few scenes, the creation of Vader for example but it was too little, too late.
    Although most original fans would want a more grown up version I think they miss the point of the SW series being a matinee film series like the old Flash Gordon serials.
  • TarickStonefire 9 May 2013 15:31:27 3,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Two things I hope aren't in the new SW films

1) so much CGI you start to wonder why they even bothered with real humans to play the parts

2) Simon Pegg

(I love Simon Pegg in everything except Star Trek, for which he is chronically mis-cast, and so I don't want to see him in Star Wars either. I'm sure for him it's a dream come true, but for me it's just *weird*)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:32:51 09-05-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• BinaryBob101 9 May 2013 16:28:04 22,636 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're being a bit weird about Simon Pegg now you freaky freak.

We have another one like you called GiantDoorknob, or something.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• MoGamer2006 13 May 2013 14:30:07 975 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good to hear that filming's going to based in the UK - Star Wars is coming home! :)
  • CharlieStCloud 13 May 2013 14:40:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any ideas what the new trilogy might be called?

... I have a slight inking what they may well be.

Star Wars: A New Lens Flare

Star Wars: The Lens Flare Strikes Back

Star Wars: Return of the Lens Flare
  • Bremenacht 13 May 2013 14:50:33 17,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I shall look for work as an Ewok.
  • Bremenacht 13 May 2013 14:51:26 17,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Lens Flare: A New Lens Flare
    I like it. 3D, I hope.
  • TOOTR 13 May 2013 17:01:26 9,519 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Star Wars : Star Wars

I dare them.

• TOOTR 13 May 2013 17:03:51 9,519 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Star Wars : Infinity

Get in!

• neilka 13 May 2013 17:08:43 15,848 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Combine one or more in the order of your choice:

Origin(s)
    (Up)rising
    Dark(ness)

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• kalel 13 May 2013 17:11:38 86,950 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    An Old Hope.
    The Jedi Strike Back.
    Return of the Sith.
  • TOOTR 13 May 2013 17:14:15 9,519 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True dat.

BTW I was making a reference to the Xbox infinity NOT to the non canon alternate Dark Horse comics called Star Wars Infinities.

Just so we are clear.

I still love Star Wars. I am slowly moving from sarcastic apathy to absolute excitement for the new films which is ridiculous.

Still, a man's gotta (look out at a twin sunset and) dream.

• CosmicFuzz 13 May 2013 17:15:33 23,847 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Combine one or more in the order of your choice:

Origin(s)
    (Up)rising
    Dark(ness)
    I like the sound of Dark Wars: Star(ing Samuel L Jackson)

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• bad09 13 May 2013 18:03:38 5,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Any ideas what the new trilogy might be called?

... I have a slight inking what they may well be.

Star Wars: A New Lens Flare

Star Wars: The Lens Flare Strikes Back

Star Wars: Return of the Lens Flare
    You forgot the TV spin off The Lens Flare Wars and the spin off Ewok movie Ewoks: Caravan of Lens Flare where the Ewoks have to do battle with bad cinematography.
  • morriss 13 May 2013 18:15:13 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, he forgot the bit where lens flare jokes were predictable and not very funny.
  • Page

of 87 First / Last