Star Wars Episode 7 Page 36

• Page

of 87 First / Last

• Khanivor 29 Jan 2013 04:11:38 40,579 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    According to Box Office Mojo, PM made nearly $45 million for the 3D release. I'd say dropping the release of the future films is a good sign for the direction the next lot are going to go. If Disney is willing to pass on tens of millions of dollars profit for no other reason than to try and not remind people of the prequels then let's hope that means the new direction is going to be in the opposite one.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 05:48:25
    kalel wrote:

The problem with both of these things is that they are born out of a desire to make a sequel/prequel, rather than born out of a pure idea or inspiration. You can always see the difference.

For this reason, the new Star Wars films are already off to a terrible start, before they're even written.
    Yeah, I can agree with this.

However in regards to your other point the Prometheus script went through a number of fixes which changed the film from a true prequel to an ambiguous disaster. Abrams pal Lindelof funnily enough. It may not have had as much of a troubled inception as Alien 3 but it was definitely marred in bullshit. I don't think Ripley had the autonomy you claim.

As you say though, prequels/ sequels invite the 'design by committee' approach.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 05:53:10
    Khanivor wrote:
    According to Box Office Mojo, PM made nearly $45 million for the 3D release. I'd say dropping the release of the future films is a good sign for the direction the next lot are going to go. If Disney is willing to pass on tens of millions of dollars profit for no other reason than to try and not remind people of the prequels then let's hope that means the new direction is going to be in the opposite one.
    That's actually fairly savvy. They see potential in the future to make money as long as they don't dilute the enthusiasm for the franchise in the meantime.

Only diehard apologists can really defend the prequels, as time goes on they're harder to defend.

I stil remember going to see PM on the first day, my manager paid for a few of us to go. I remember it ending and me thinking 'what the fuck was this bullshit?` I really couldn't believe quite how terrible it was.
  • jablonski 29 Jan 2013 12:50:25 3,897 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I liked the lens flare. And there's no "right" way to do it for fucks sake.
    in-fucking-camera, not with a CG one.
    A CG lens flare in totally redundant unless you are trying to tie together a composite, and I thought we'd left that behind in the early 90's.
  • kalel 29 Jan 2013 12:53:47 87,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    kalel wrote:

The problem with both of these things is that they are born out of a desire to make a sequel/prequel, rather than born out of a pure idea or inspiration. You can always see the difference.

For this reason, the new Star Wars films are already off to a terrible start, before they're even written.
    Yeah, I can agree with this.

However in regards to your other point the Prometheus script went through a number of fixes which changed the film from a true prequel to an ambiguous disaster. Abrams pal Lindelof funnily enough. It may not have had as much of a troubled inception as Alien 3 but it was definitely marred in bullshit. I don't think Ripley had the autonomy you claim.

As you say though, prequels/ sequels invite the 'design by committee' approach.
    My point is that even if Fincher hasn't been massively reigned in, it still may well have ended being a clusterfuck.

But yes, my point is really about the designed by commitee thing.
  • Bremenacht 29 Jan 2013 22:44:08 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    A CG lens flare in totally redundant unless you are trying to tie together a composite, and I thought we'd left that behind in the early 90's.
    The Star Trek lens flare was done by pointing torches at the cameras, wasn't it? Not exactly high art!
  • Bremenacht 29 Jan 2013 22:49:45 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Alien 3's production saga goes well beyond the interference with Fincher. The script itself went though a stupid amount of versions and different people "fixing it".

Fincher may not have liked how he got dicked about, but I'm not convinced it was ever going to be this perfect sequel so many seem to think it could have been. Ridley Scott had a huge amount of autonomy over Prometheus and that turned out to be a mess as well, so not convinced a young David Fincher could have done any better.

What a great post. I think it applies very well to video games too.
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Jan 2013 07:21:15 23,950 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    jablonski wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    The Star Trek lens flare was done by pointing torches at the cameras, wasn't it? Not exactly high art!
    Exactly. There were mirrors etc pointing everywhere and they bounced light off them to make the lens flare. Not that this is the "right" or "wrong" way to do it anyway.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• neilka 30 Jan 2013 08:37:42 15,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tied together a composite in my bathroom before I left for work this morning.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Khanivor 30 Jan 2013 12:33:34 40,579 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Did you remember to wipe up the lens flare afterwards?
  • krisbums 4 Feb 2013 07:16:56 12 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They'll probably release new spaceships and add another toyline. That'll be the death of collectors. :eek:
  • Gartt 6 Feb 2013 10:50:06 1,736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, stand-alone films announced...

I hate to say it but I quite like the idea of stand-alone Star Wars films, I imagine they'll try and copy the marvel/avengers model, few character films followed by an "episode".

Either that or they can blow my mind and do some Old Republic films, unlikely though.
  • Maturin 6 Feb 2013 10:52:40 2,961 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A Han Solo film would be a good one to do. Be set in the Empire we know and love. Characters like Chewie, Jabba and Lando would be in it - and so would the Falcon. What's not to love.
  • kalel 6 Feb 2013 11:00:01 87,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's a good idea to be honest. The universe has solid potential but they need to stop fucking with the arc of the original trilogy.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 11:06:35 59,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its clever. They stop fucking with the originals and they get to make a whole slew of other merchandisable characters.

The EU stuff was always a bit 'the skywalkers are the most important people in the universe' and when its a universe as rich in possibility as that, its very restricting.

They can go anywhere or do anything.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• oceanmotion 6 Feb 2013 11:14:36 15,848 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It would still suck if they ended up doing Boba Fett and Yoda ones. Begun this film has, fuck off.

Firefly/Han Solo would be good.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 11:17:46 59,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A yoda one would technically mean prequel which is shite but since he is 900 years old or whatever then it would potentially be so far removed from the OT as to not be a huge problem.

• nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 11:19:05 59,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would be willing to bet a kidney that it portrays him as a cocky little shit but learns the wisdom and humility he is famous for during the course of the films wacky adventures.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 6 Feb 2013 11:35:45 10,854 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    An Old Republic standalone film would suit me.
  • kickerconspiracy 6 Feb 2013 11:39:59 495 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I would be willing to bet a kidney that it portrays him as a cocky little shit but learns the wisdom and humility he is famous for during the course of the films wacky adventures.
    Or that he starts off as Kermit The Frog.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 11:48:09
    nickthegun wrote:
    A yoda one would technically mean prequel which is shite but since he is 900 years old or whatever then it would potentially be so far removed from the OT as to not be a huge problem.
    Yoda podracing \o/

I prefer him being a mystery, I hope we don't see planet yoda at least.
  • beastmaster 6 Feb 2013 11:59:09 11,338 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Darth Maul.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• neilka 6 Feb 2013 12:02:08 15,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Sarlacc's Tale: Episode I

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• TOOTR 6 Feb 2013 14:39:09 9,533 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lobot : The Lost Years

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 14:41:37 87,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I prefer him being a mystery, I hope we don't see planet yoda at least.
    Honestly, all of this stuff is better in our heads. That was the whole genius of the original Star Wars - talk of Clone Wars and other such mysterious just created a rich tapestry of events in our imaginations.

Bringing it all to life was just dissapointing.
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 14:50:46 59,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, that was largely thanks to the person bringing it to life. Who could have possibly imagined that something called 'the clone wars' would actually be so fucking boring?

Edited by nickthegun at 14:54:00 06-02-2013

• Blotto 6 Feb 2013 15:41:48 2,774 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think the standalone films stand a much better chance of actually being good than Episode 7 or whatever.

There's so much stuff they can tap into and they wouldn't have to mention Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker or any of the classics every 20 minutes.

I'm sure some of them will be shit, but in the hands of a good director the Star Wars Universe actually has a lot to offer.
  • kalel 6 Feb 2013 15:44:31 87,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's more about the writing than the directing imo. None of the original trilogy had particularly good directors. There's way too much emphasis on the directors for the new films.
  • Khanivor 6 Feb 2013 15:45:47 40,579 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It should be called Episode 7 if, well, it's not the next episode.

Words, how do they fucking work?
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 15:50:32
    Khanivor wrote:
    It should be called Episode 7 if, well, it's not the next episode.

Words, how do they fucking work?
    Quite.
  • Page

of 87 First / Last