I are survey please degree

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 19:37:38
    Or something.

Anyway, quick survey here, if you would kindly oblige me, about community responses to convicted criminals - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/935LH3R

Will form a whole two or so sentences of a seven page paper, so feel free to judge my education on it.
  • Moot_Point 29 Oct 2012 19:40:58 4,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Its a fix! The first question fills in the numbers automatically.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• the-dude 29 Oct 2012 19:42:51 4,591 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Done, I think I am Tory.
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 19:43:06
    It seems to do it weirdly - it swaps the answers about depending on how you rank them. Couldn't see* an option to change it.

* couldn't be arsed to look
  • Fatiguez 29 Oct 2012 19:44:22 8,741 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This isn't a Game Design course? Sorry, I only devote my time to worthwhile degree pursuits.
  • andytheadequate 29 Oct 2012 19:45:06 8,192 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Done. Not sure if it was the survey or my phone but question 2 wouldn't let me change any of the options
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 19:45:19
    Fatiguez wrote:
    This isn't a Game Design course? Sorry, I only devote my time to worthwhile degree pursuits.
    You can pretend it's for a GTA clone if that helps.
  • Lukus 29 Oct 2012 19:49:51 19,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gremmi

Paintings & Photographs

• Moot_Point 29 Oct 2012 19:53:22 4,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well i think Rape is less acceptable than Vehicular homicide in the list, but it scores a 4.

Ed: Ha! When you rate them, it switches the order of the crimes!

Edited by Moot_Point at 19:56:37 29-10-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Khanivor 29 Oct 2012 19:59:32 40,808 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So is this your application for deportation?
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 20:04:42
    Khanivor wrote:
    So is this your application for deportation?
    I'm trying to work out which crimes I can get away with.

But really it's for a random "community justice vs criminal justice" thing. The assignment is that we've got eight criminals, proven guilty of different crimes (and with different backgrounds), but we can only jail four of them. We're playing the role of an elected official as a prosecutor, so we have to balance jailing the worst of them with the wants and needs of the community, then justify our decisions.
  • superdelphinus 29 Oct 2012 20:09:54 8,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Offense"

You bastard
  • speedofthepuma 29 Oct 2012 20:11:16 13,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Done.

I'm rooting for the unintentional vehicular homicide.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• superdelphinus 29 Oct 2012 20:16:06 8,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beside the Americanisation, I have completed it.

I don't really get the exercise though. What does it mean by "community justice"? Also it would be a bad bad world where the prosecution gets to decide what happens to the crims :/

One of my current hats involves a bit of behind the scenes stuff on this in real life, it's an interesting 'thing'
  • skuzzbag 29 Oct 2012 20:17:39 5,647 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Under your new regime chemists are criminals!

I want no part of this witch hunt.

Edited by skuzzbag at 20:18:28 29-10-2012
  • Shikasama 29 Oct 2012 20:28:16 6,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You have my answers.

I'm a zero tolerance kind of guy.
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 21:00:42
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I don't really get the exercise though. What does it mean by "community justice"? Also it would be a bad bad world where the prosecution gets to decide what happens to the crims :/
    It's just a thought experiment, really. It gets us to consider justice from three separate angles - the angle of an elected official (a district attorney) trying to please the people who voted him in (hence "community justice" ), the angle of limited budget/jail spaces and the angle of justice to the law of the letter. Doesn't have any explicit real world bearing other than getting people to look at the criminal justice process from different perspectives.

For example, at the moment on the survey, it seems people generally consider a convicted rapist to be a worse influence on a community than a second-degree murderer, should they be let out into the care of the community. Yet, the sentencing for the latter is generally harsher and is considered, in the eyes of the law, a "worse" crime.

Edited by meme at 21:01:01 29-10-2012
  • mal 29 Oct 2012 21:33:13 22,582 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Question 4 reveals something of a bias in the questioning, I reckon:

Would a...be better helped through jail time or care in the community (rehab etc)
    What about rehabilitation programmes in jail? Either way, I went for rehab (care in the community) even though I'd already told you I'd lock up all armed robbers. Dunno what that response tells you.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• FWB 29 Oct 2012 21:38:08 44,596 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye. I put rehab but that shouldn't exclude jail terms. To be honest the survey is flawed in the way it forces you to make black and white calls.
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 21:39:50
    There may or may not be rehabilitation in prison itself (rehab programmes vary from prison to prison) - that's something we can't actually decide for ourselves, at least within the scope of the essay. It's jail time or community time, and never the twain shall meet.

Though statistically speaking, in-prison rehab programmes don't actually work, so I'd probably discount that broadly anyway.

Edited by meme at 21:42:29 29-10-2012
  • FWB 29 Oct 2012 21:45:30 44,596 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doesn't have to be in jail. Do time and then rehab. Although to be fair your question did ask what would HELP criminals. Don't think jail would, but that's not the point of it. Punishment then rehab.
  • FWB 29 Oct 2012 21:48:23 44,596 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Btw you uni kids have it lucky. I had to go out into the street and meet the man to get my surveys, and as Johnny Rotten said, "He's a cunt."
  • Shikasama 29 Oct 2012 21:55:34 6,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    For example, at the moment on the survey, it seems people generally consider a convicted rapist to be a worse influence on a community than a second-degree murderer, should they be let out into the care of the community. Yet, the sentencing for the latter is generally harsher and is considered, in the eyes of the law, a "worse" crime.
    Surely that is a no brainer. You specified that the second degree murder was a 'spur of the moment' thing so the rapist represents a far greater ongoing threat to the community. It's a much higher risk. That just seems obvious.

You also have to be careful calling crimes 'worse' than others in the eyes of the law as well. In the UK for example, Attempted Murder is 'worse' on a conceptual legal level than Murder because it is impossible to commit attempted murder recklessly or negligently.

Edited by Shikasama at 21:56:30 29-10-2012
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 22:08:24
    I know. Hence why I said worse in quotation marks. Most of the survey is going along with expected principles of community, but I actually need statistical proof of that rather than just going "rapists are of course worse for the community than second-degree murderers".
  • Khanivor 29 Oct 2012 22:16:36 40,808 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm curious as to where unintentional vehicular homicide is winding up on the scale.

/texted while drivn home frm bar
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 22:23:16
    At the moment, it's the one no-one seems to give two shits about. Which isn't wholly surprising, as it's the only one on the list that's (basically) accidental. I could have included a wider range of crimes, but those ones I have cover the eight felons I have to either lock up or let loose on the community.

I think I might let the double-homicide following armed robbery, fifth time reoffender go free, just for laughs.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Oct 2012 22:26:47 44,321 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deviant wannabe Yank.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Shikasama 29 Oct 2012 22:28:30 6,844 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is there an option to lock 4 of them in prison and feed the other 4 to those incarcerated, thus solving all of societies ills?
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 18:02:01
    I received my grades for the paper. Eighty-five out of fifty.

I don't quite understand how that works either, but I'm pretty pleased with that.
  • SolidSCB 12 Nov 2012 18:12:29 6,743 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thats actually 50/85. Just like the roads man.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous