The 'Work Is Shit' Thread Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• jellyhead 29 Oct 2012 10:55:47 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, it looks like the team and the project i've been working on for the last two years is not going to survive a transition into "Business As Usual" due to our management being incapable of slotting 4 people into our company structure without allowing bullshit politics to interfere.

FFS! How hard is it for management to put 4 people who have been doing a job for two years into the existing structure?! Apparently they are on the fifth revision of the Org doc and it's completely unworkable.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Trafford 29 Oct 2012 10:59:13 5,791 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Who cares about minimum wage supermarket checkout people anyway? Just use the self service counters and you can avoid having to interact with the sweaty plebs.
    I suppose that is a plus if you struggle to interact with other humans in a civilised manner.
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 16:40:56
    Hey look at that, it got to page 2.

My 'work is shit' at the moment. I baby sit a shop that virtually has no stock. The red letters are coming in, other shops in the chain have had their locks changed, last week the delivery van was impounded. But I still have to sit there, doing sod all, to keep the slimmest chance that I'll get paid.
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 16:50:30
    Trafford wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Who cares about minimum wage supermarket checkout people anyway? Just use the self service counters and you can avoid having to interact with the sweaty plebs.
    I suppose that is a plus if you struggle to interact with other humans in a civilised manner.
    Exactly. Most of those on tills barely even get to human, let alone civilised.
  • DangerM0use 29 Oct 2012 16:52:12 740 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I walked out on my job last month, luckily got enough freelance to keep going for a couple of months...
  • billythekid 29 Oct 2012 16:53:09 11,138 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I worked on a till I really don't think I'd be very civilised having witnessed some of the shit that arsehole people put them through.
  • beastmaster 29 Oct 2012 17:02:24 11,418 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am fucking tired and 'Work Is Dull'. I enjoy it mostly. But not today.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Khanivor 29 Oct 2012 17:12:10 40,776 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My work is hard and hurts but at 38 I'm easily in the best shape I've ever been. Plus I've learned a trade and am going to refinish the floors on the rental house for material cost this week; $3000 worth of work for about $150 worth of paper \o/

Still, I often miss the days sat in front of the PC...
  • Deleted user 29 October 2012 17:13:13
    You're refinishing the floors with paper?
  • Khanivor 29 Oct 2012 17:14:39 40,776 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Double quilted.
  • BryanAKADJ 29 Oct 2012 23:16:37 284 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I leave for work at 10AM, catch the 10:15AM Seabus-which will take 8-25 minutes to get to work depending on which Seabus they use that morning, then depending on the time I get there I will spend about...20-45 minutes waiting outside in the rain and wind for my boss to get to work and she usually arrives 5 after 11. With one 30 minute break I get off work at 6:30PM and spend about 40 minutes going home. It doesn't sound that bad but it just drags on and on and on....and on.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Deleted user 29 October 2012 23:37:25
    So you work part time?
  • catterz 29 Oct 2012 23:57:33 8,763 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I must be one of the minority who actually likes his job then. I've been there 2 years now and keep progressing with promotions and payrises.

/looks down nose

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• jellyhead 30 Oct 2012 09:44:11 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oh, I like my job, it's just the politics and lack of real management that grinds my gears.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• cheeky_prawnking 30 Oct 2012 09:52:07 4,584 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not so much shit today, more very dull. I sometimes have to produce CCTV on video, sadly all real time and I have to sit and watch.
  • megastar 30 Oct 2012 10:14:58 17,186 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everything is irritating me today! Even the the phone ringing made me go "OOOoh for FUCKS saaaaaake" a few minutes ago!
  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 10:17:23
    oh that is a bad day when just the phone going brings out the swearing.
  • cheeky_prawnking 30 Oct 2012 10:22:55 4,584 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I put it on silent.
  • Immaterial 30 Oct 2012 10:52:45 1,379 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm still waiting for the Peter Principle to catch up with me. Three promotions in one year have left me in the position that I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Edited by Immaterial at 10:52:59 30-10-2012

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Razz 30 Oct 2012 11:13:47 61,205 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been stuck in a bureaucratic nightmare for 8 months, plodding away in central government. It's very cool working in Whitehall, I've been to No 10 on serveral occasions, even met the PM a few times and several high ranking officals, Hell, I've even got a wave from the Queen. The canteen here is amazing, and very cheap. We have a gym and many deals with local business for discounts, my travel covered by expenses. And I am compensated very handsomely, relative to my role. (19 p/h).

But still, I hate my job. It's the most boring assignment I've ever been on, my role as an EO (private secretary to the CNO) is the very embodiment of paper pushing, I'm deep man, deep in the bureacracy. Very much a cog in the machine. And I absolutely hate it, my contract is supposed to be finished on Wedensday but they want to extend it to the end of the year, I'm not sure if I can take it anymore. It's only a couple of months but I'm at my wits end, my brain is so under stretched that I can actually feel my IQ slipping away, I play regular bouts of space chem on my phone to stave off the eventual slide into the abyss. I'd only agreed to take this role as I'd taken a year out of work to "find myself" and I was looking for something low spec to ease me back to normal working again and the agency certainly filled that requirement, but it was only supposed to last for 3 months... I feel myself slowly being gobbled up by the Government :(

Edited by Razz at 11:52:54 30-10-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Chopsen 30 Oct 2012 11:27:48 16,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's just work. If work was endlessly stimulating and interesting, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.
  • Razz 30 Oct 2012 11:48:15 61,205 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    That's just work. If work was endlessly stimulating and interesting, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.
    I can't argue with that I suppose, I guess I'm used to more technical roles. I like roles where I have to come up with creative solutions to managing vast amounts of data and I also enjoy managing people, it's where most my experience is based. Excel, Sage, SAP, Oracle, Powerpoint etc... My current role offers none of that, apart from upwards managing my boss but that isn't the same thing as running an office.

A couple of years ago, those roles were easy to come by, but now there is so much more competition in the temp market. Employers are absolutely ruthless! And the temp agencies have completely changed their business model to more client focused one, as temps with a broad skill set are in near limitless supply now :( I might completely change my life next year and become a professional body builder in a tight leotard and fill my house with cats, of course I could just look for a pernament role, but I've tempted all of my adult life, I've made a "career" (ha!) out of it, I'd have to start at the bottom again in some faceles corporation earning a pittance salary..

Edited by Razz at 12:08:19 30-10-2012

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Blerk Moderator 30 Oct 2012 13:49:14 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having a terrible time at work at the minute. Far too much to do, not enough time to do it, constant interruptions, being forced to work long days, weekends, etc.

No time for posting shit about games. FOR THE LOSE! :(
  • neilka 30 Oct 2012 13:52:52 15,956 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The one thread on the forum that DM won't be posting in today.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Rusty_M 30 Oct 2012 13:54:10 4,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've managed to avoid being bored at work the last few days by trying to get a button an Excel form to save a copy of the form, navigate Internet Explorer to a specific page, fill in a form on the page then attach the excel file to the next form.

I've never looked at VBA, HTML or JavaScript in my life, so it's going slowly. There must be something wrong with me as I'm enjoying it and it really passes the time.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• megastar 30 Oct 2012 13:56:08 17,186 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My incompetent boss just tried telling me how to compose a quotation because it apparently wasn't up to scratch!

I gave him the due response of not acknowledging his existence! Go pretend to be useful somewhere else you fool!
  • ecureuil 30 Oct 2012 14:28:27 76,814 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started a tough warehouse packing job last night. 8 hours of pain, 6pm til 3am. Only just got up and now I'm getting myself ready to go to work again, fun times. :) Haven't actually done any proper physical labour for a number of years now and it hurts like fuck. It's only a short temporary contract but I'm already regretting it.
  • RubyRed 30 Oct 2012 15:14:46 4,303 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love being a designer and my job would be OK if it wasn't for my boss. She slates everything I do, and in my review last week she spent an hour telling me what I let down I am in terms of being creative. She very briefly mentioned the fact that an extremely important client was incredibly pleased with work that I did for them recently, didn't acknowledge that I've had four "notable achievements" this year despite being here for nine months and kept going on about how she really wants to see me "grow creatively". I know that I'm not the best designer, but I am competent although she made me feel useless.

The icing on the cake is that she's made the other designer "team leader" even though he's been here a total of two months longer than I have and has seven years' less experience as a designer than I do which is bad enough, except that she knew that I wanted to be able to progress in the company, not him. So now the other designer's ego has suddenly grown over the past couple of days, he's bossing me around and now he's landed work with a new client. She wants him to help me to be a better designer (gnnnn!). He also has a brand new Mac Pro with a 27 inch thunderbolt display and I have the oldest, slowest Mac known to man with the cheapest monitor you can buy. When I asked for an upgrade, she refused. Favouritism much?

My boss also nags me incessantly via email when she's not here in the office (she works from home two days a week - yeah right) but the weird thing is that she's always really nice to my face, even when I know she has a beef with me.

So, I've been in this job for only 9 months and it's the first permanent job I've had for years so I don't want to give up on the job yet. I think my boss is intent on dragging me down and maybe sticking around isn't such a good idea.
  • quadfather 30 Oct 2012 15:18:05 12,152 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    oh, I like my job, it's just the politics and lack of real management that grinds my gears.
    exactly this

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mrpon 30 Oct 2012 15:22:16 28,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone take a cup of tea into the toilet?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 3 First / Last