A Return to Castle Shadowgate via KickStarter

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • OtakuMan 28 Oct 2012 15:29:29 5 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The last thing that you remember is standing before the wizard Lakmir as he gestured wildly and chanted in an archaic tongue. Now you find yourself staring at an entryway which lies at the edge of a forest. The Druid's words still ring in your ears: “Within the walls of the Castle Shadowgate lies your quest. If the prophecies hold true, the dreaded Warlock Lord will use his dark magic to raise the Behemoth, the deadliest of the Titans, from the depths of the earth. You are the seed of prophecy, the last of the line of kings, and only you can stop the Warlock Lord from darkening our world FOREVER. Fare thee well.”
    These are the words that began Shadowgate, the 1987 first-person-adventure game from ICOM Simulations for the Apple Macintosh 128K. Two years later, Japanese company Kemco released what may be considered the most popular version of the game for the NES/Famicom. The NES version of the game was one of the few NES titles to get a Swedish translated version released (with a notorious typo).

Now, 25 years after the game's original release, the creators of Shadowgate have formed a new company, Zojoi, and are now using KickStarter to help get the funds needed to make the new version a reality. Check out the pitch video:

The KickStarter page best explains what will make this new version of Shadowgate different from past releases:

While we published the original game on over ten different platforms, this Shadowgate is NOT A PORT. It's a re-imagining that includes a lot of new features, exciting updates and ingenious additions that will add even more to the mythology and expand upon the original story of our fantasy classic. This is the Shadowgate that we always wanted to make and we are thrilled that we have the opportunity to capture the unique excitement of the original while expanding on the world and mythos like never before. And if you've never played a first-person adventure title, this is the one to start with!
    With the original game creators, David Marsh and Karl Roelofs, in charge, news of this KickStarter has spread around with coverage by:

Destructoid
    Gamasutra
    Polygon (Part 1)
    Polygon (Part 2)
    And more!

They've also posted an update which contains a look behind the scenes of what goes into the sound design for Shadowgate.

Shadowgate Sound Design

Now by this point you might be thinking, "Okay, wait a second... hold up... you're a first time poster here on EuroGamer, and the first thing you do is start talking about this KickStarter campaign like it's the greatest thing since The Stig. How do we know you aren't working for them?"

Honestly, I don't see how working with them is really such a bad thing! :) To be completely up front and provide a full disclosure, I am sort of the "Official Unofficial Community Manager" for Zojoi, and after seeing the lack of any talk about Shadowgate here, figured I'd pop in, share the news, and also stick around to answer any questions you might have about the game, the creators, or the campaign.

And if you have any suggestions, comments, critiques, or overall feedback; I'd also be happy to pass them along to Dave & Karl too! Already, action is being taken to make things even better based on community feedback.

Well, I've said my piece. Now to open the floor and hear what you guys have to say. :)

Oh, and one last thing:
    Currently, the standard goal of $120,000 USD does not factor in multi-language support. Multi-language support IS, however, one of the first stretch goals we'll have should we reach our goal and go beyond. AND, I made sure to emphasize to Dave & Karl MONTHS ago that when multi-language support becomes something to focus on, one of the language options MUST be Swedish!
  • OtakuMan 28 Oct 2012 19:08:33 5 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    In hindsight, I just realized I forgot to put a link to the primary KickStarter page itself! Whoops!

Shadowgate KickStarter

There, that should do the trick. :)
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next