Golden Dawn - Possible Fascist Greece in 21st Century Europe?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • MrDigital 27 Oct 2012 21:55:14 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here is a very good article talking about the situation in Greece with Golden Dawn

At first when I heard about this, I thought little of it, in fact I kind of expected it. But as the news comes out each week, this party seems to grow more and more powerful. It is certainly not longer a party on the outskirts of Greek politics, this is an immensely popular far-right extremist movement.

I see a few parallels between this and Germany circa 1920:

- Awful financial situation (they believe) imposed by other nations
    - Incredibly diverse parties getting more and more popular (communists, anarchists, fascists)
    - Current government viewed as stale and not fixing the problem
    - Gangs of men impervious to the police patrolling the street destroying those who they deem to be not of their nationality
    - Angry people looking to support absolutely anyone who can get them out of their predicament

What do you think? Could we realistically see a Fascist Greece?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Syrette 27 Oct 2012 22:13:44 43,598 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Love a greek salad, me.

• oceanmotion 27 Oct 2012 22:19:03 15,970 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fascist Cheese.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2012 22:25:15
    It's hard not to read global events at the moment and not see the forward of a new global war story in our history - even if it is a chilly one. :(
  • mcmothercruncher 30 Oct 2012 21:06:07 7,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can ONLY read the thread title as:

Golden Hawn - Possible Fascist Greece in 21st Century Europe?
  • RabidChild 30 Oct 2012 21:25:26 2,292 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goldie Hawn?
  • mcmothercruncher 30 Oct 2012 21:34:07 7,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the one!

Please ignore me from now on.
  • chopsen 30 Oct 2012 23:59:12 16,087 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Every time I see it mentioned, I think of Crowley, McGreggor Mathers et al and wonder if there's some resurgence in the Western occult tradition.

But this is a bit scary. People I think only act like complete bastards when they have nothing to lose. Greece must be feeling like that now. I doubt the parallels with early 20th century Germany are warranted though, because Godwin is the default position and there are better international political systems in place in the Western world these days to protect against that. Still a bit disconcerting.
  • FWB 31 Oct 2012 00:18:21 44,668 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fascist/Racist Greece? Ha. Let's go with that for just a minute. What on earth would they do? They'd be fucked. No EU support, no industry, no economy, no military.

Go down that path. We can live without feta.
  • chopsen 31 Oct 2012 00:21:54 16,087 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well yeah, they're not going to do a land-based attack across the European mainland. I was more worried about the poor bastards being used as scapegoats and the resulting suffering from that.
  • FWB 31 Oct 2012 00:39:18 44,668 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's difficult to have sympathy for someone who does it to themselves. What are we supposed to do? We haven't got infinite money to throw at them so they can run a country they should have been financing, but were too greedy to do so. Of course there are innocents in it all.

Not sure we do extreme views in Britain*. It's one of our few positive traits IMHO.

*Compared to others
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Oct 2012 00:43:37 6,652 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    The trouble is, Greece haven't had the US/UK, to explain, that if they don't stop this shit, they won't have a country. If this party ever come to fruition, it will be taken out, the us don't just take out countries with oil you know, and uk and us will destroy it, even if the US don't get involved. We will not allow this nazi shit to raise again, no matter how they package themselves as a saviour of a poor country are you fucking stupid Greece?

Such a lovely country, ruined. Been there many times, really awesome. good people, let those in and it's over. Don't be so silly.

Do they not understand how importantly the UK and US take this shit. Rise Greece with that party and you will be destroyed. Sorry, but it has to done. Again, before it spreads and kills. It's a disgusting racist party and can die slowly in a hot fire, Cunts! I'm not a fan of my government but I know enough to know they will take you the fuck out, if you continue, as will the US. The UK tells them what is right and wrong cos they haven't a clue, ps gremmi, I reported that £1000 student loan from your book name, no fucker is not paying debts in this country :p Did it Friday.
    edit: sorry dude, but I'm not fucking paying for you. Nor is any other fucking UK tax payer. Pay pay what you owe, profits from that book will do :p
    wow
  • FWB 31 Oct 2012 00:45:41 44,668 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't spot that end.

An internet vigilante, eh?
  • chopsen 31 Oct 2012 00:51:59 16,087 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FWB Oh aye. No sympathy for the fraudulent tax dodging twats. It's just one of those inevitable tragedies really. We could throw money at them, but for what ends? To perpetuate the status quo of tax evasion and excessive spending?
  • RedSparrows 31 Oct 2012 09:35:53 22,899 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Even if a neo-fascist group came to power in Greece, the historical situations are enormously different.

Fruit saying 'What?', priceless.
  • Deleted user 31 October 2012 14:32:20
    Facepalm wrote:
    ps gremmi, I reported that £1000 student loan from your book name, no fucker is not paying debts in this country :p Did it Friday.
    edit: sorry dude, but I'm not fucking paying for you. Nor is any other fucking UK tax payer. Pay pay what you owe, profits from that book will do :p
    Just spotted this.

No-one's paying for it, you blithering idiot. It was stagnant debt that wasn't increasing or decreasing. Even if they bothered to correct their oversight, they can't actually pursue me for the debt internationally anyway.

So, basically, if they do something, the debt stops being stagnant and now you're paying for it. Good job, merkle.
  • RedSparrows 31 Oct 2012 14:35:42 22,899 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am happy to pay £0.000000000000000000000000001 for the privilege of the above post.
  • Carlo 31 Oct 2012 14:43:42 18,071 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Be this guy Greece.

PSN ID: Djini

• jellyhead 31 Oct 2012 14:44:01 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The potential of a Neo-Fascist government in Greece is really disconcerting. The EU will have to say something about it surely? It's the Greek choice i suppose, to screw their own country in the eyes of the world. There again the yanks would probably have ( or already do ) plans to undermine such a government if it suited them.

There again what would be said if the UK were stupid enough to vote in the BNP or UKIP for example?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 31 Oct 2012 14:52:30 6,652 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The one thing I find worrying is that humans are behaving, in the face of social and economic problems exactly as they have done historically.

While I don't think Greece pose a threat themselves, they are definitely not unique and a pretty unnerving yardstick.

Really hope we don't have a war on the horizon. Especially given that we live in a climate of consensus politics, so essentially, Sun readers dictate policy.

Dunno.
  • whatfruit 31 Oct 2012 15:23:35 1,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @EatMyCow Greatest game of pictionary in U.N history,although the Palestinian delegation were confused because they thought it looked like Israel only much smaller.
  • disusedgenius 31 Oct 2012 15:29:41 5,359 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    While I don't think Greece pose a threat themselves, they are definitely not unique and a pretty unnerving yardstick.
    Yeah, that's a slightly more unnerving thing. Eastern Europe in particular seem to be going through something of a right-wing renaissance, and it's not like it isn't still an issue in the West either - take a look at Len Pen in France, for example.
  • RedSparrows 31 Oct 2012 15:49:30 22,899 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Again, the historical situations are very different - and Britain is unusual in rarely having any significant not-centre party making any waves of any kind.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next