Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, my nexus 4 battery life is pretty sweet

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Tonka 3 Apr 2013 10:18:19 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Change to using Handcent as your SMS handler, it changes the way the LED works. It stays on and blue when you get an unread SMS.
    That LED feature sounds great. I'm thinking about getting one of them "set your LED to behave the way YOU want" apps but never got around to it.

Also, it's funny to live in a time when I find myself thinking "I wish that looked more like something Google designed and less like something Apple did" more and more often.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• crashVoodoo 14 Apr 2013 22:08:41 4,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Change to using Handcent as your SMS handler, it changes the way the LED works. It stays on and blue when you get an unread SMS.
    That LED feature sounds great. I'm thinking about getting one of them "set your LED to behave the way YOU want" apps but never got around to it.

Also, it's funny to live in a time when I find myself thinking "I wish that looked more like something Google designed and less like something Apple did" more and more often.
    Try light flow. Its free and highly configurable... Is that a word?

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Salaman 15 Apr 2013 15:13:00 19,603 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got light flow. It's quite handy. Red for a new gmail. Blue for a new sms. A Pink-ish hue for an sms from my special lady friend.
    When you get both a mail and an sms, you can choose whether it cycles through them or just shows you the one you specified as most important.

My only complaint is the naming of the pre-set colours you can choose from. I don't know what half of them are. I saw "cyan" and though .. hmmm was that something like purple? It wasn't.
    So I have to go and click to see what the actual colour is. :-)
    Just man colours: red, blue, ... would have been handy.
  • crashVoodoo 15 Apr 2013 19:11:40 4,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    I've got light flow. It's quite handy. Red for a new gmail. Blue for a new sms. A Pink-ish hue for an sms from my special lady friend.
    When you get both a mail and an sms, you can choose whether it cycles through them or just shows you the one you specified as most important.

My only complaint is the naming of the pre-set colours you can choose from. I don't know what half of them are. I saw "cyan" and though .. hmmm was that something like purple? It wasn't.
    So I have to go and click to see what the actual colour is. :-)
    Just man colours: red, blue, ... would have been handy.
    Wow, its scary that we picked the same colours ...

• PrivateFloyd 24 Apr 2013 10:49:39 4,189 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Selling my Nexus 4 chaps, but its ok because work have bought me a new contract + phone so the Nexus 4 is surplus to requirements.

So,

Bought from Google Store. Nexus 4 8g with receipt just over 1 month old. Boxed as new. Comes with case and extra usb lead.

200 posted if anyone is interested. Got a fair amount of feedback on here for selling consoles and such so I consider myself reputable!

PM if interested.

Goat is hungry.....

• Tonka 29 Apr 2013 06:21:03 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dropped my Nexus 4 this morning.
    Fell from waist height straight onto the hardwood floor.

The silliest of things really. I had put my alarm to snooze but then I had to go up anyways.
    I put my phone on a tiny little ledger above a radiator outside the bathroom. About two fifths of it was sticking out.

Then I thought, "Once the alarm goes off and it starts vibrating it'll fall off. I better switch it off."

I reached for the phone and then I was possessed by mowgli, so instead of just picking the phone up I smacked it hard and sent it spinning towards the floor.

Luckily that was all the similarities between me and mowgli. Not a scratch on the phone.

• Salaman 29 Apr 2013 09:45:06 19,603 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I live in an old house, the floor in the bedroom isn't exactly straight, there's a slight sagging towards the middle. First night I put my nexus 4 on the nightstand, I was woken up at 3am when it fell to the floor.

The fucking thing did it's soapbar on a wet surface thing and slowly crept to the edge over several hours and fell off.
    It did that a second time a week later but then it was charging, so it did a bit of a bungee jump thing where it fell of the nightstand, swinging from the charging chord and hitting the nightstand on each swing before I could grab it.

I'm more careful where I put it now but just yesterday it fell from the TV table in the living room. All very low falls so far. Thankfully it's still OK.

I don't have ny case or screen protector on the thing. I hate cases and screen protectors. Although I'm starting to think it might be wiser to do something.

It's 2 months old and I have a few very small scratches on the glass. Not too noticeable but if the screen is black and you hold it up so you can let a light source reflect from it, you can see them of course.
    With a few scratches after 2 months, I fear it'll look like GAME (tm) 2nd hand disk by the time I've had it for a year.
  • monkman76 29 Apr 2013 10:56:20 5,405 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're both lying, everyone knows Android devices are made of wet tissue paper.
  • Tonka 29 Apr 2013 11:01:09 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I failed to mention my protective case.

I have none.

• crashVoodoo 29 Apr 2013 11:43:54 4,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I finally put a case on mine. Its a poetic atmosphere and the reason I got it was because it would keep slipping off every surface.

It was on Amazon for 28 but was suddenly refused down to 4.50 and comes with 3 year warranty :-)

• THFourteen 29 Apr 2013 11:55:16 34,468 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got my S3 in a very thin case that protrudes slightly on the face. For the simple reason that if it falls on its face, it would get scratched and I hate scratches on my screen.
  • Tonka 29 Apr 2013 12:53:10 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cases are a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing for me. A friend of mine likened them to plastic covers for couches.

Yes, it keeps the couch in good condition. On the other hand, you sit on a piece of plastic.

A scratched screen would be bloody annoying. A plastic cover IS bloody annoying.

I'm thinking about getting a pouch for my phone so it has some protection in my pocket at least.

• TheSaint 29 Apr 2013 13:06:14 14,829 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got a bumper for mine after I dropped it. Now it's a bit more protected and doesn't slip off everything without drastically changing the look of the phone.
  • L0cky 29 Apr 2013 13:47:25 1,556 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    A scratched screen would be bloody annoying. A plastic cover IS bloody annoying.
    They spend hundreds of millions on R&D to make the strongest, most responsive, clearest screen they possibly can... then people slap a fat, cheap, plastic sticker on it.
  • Tonka 15 May 2013 06:04:28 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have pocket lint stuck in my USB port. On youTube I saw a guy cleaning it out with a needle but he had a phone where he could remove the battery.

Is it risky to stick something metal in there? I've tried to clean it with a bit of plastic but that just doesn't do the job.

• twelveways 15 May 2013 06:17:53 4,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    use a cocktail stick/toothpick.
  • Tonka 15 May 2013 06:26:12 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah shit. Why didn't I think of that?

When all you have is a needle every problem seems like a thread...

• Tonka 15 May 2013 06:38:47 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UPDATE: I didn't have a toothpickat hand but I splintered a matchstick and used that. Got a lot out but there's some clumped together in the corner that I need a finer point to get to.

The charger do fit a bit better now though.

• twelveways 15 May 2013 07:55:06 4,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't do what I did which was to use a small blob of blu-tack on the end of a stick. I now have a hole blocked with blu-tack.
  • Tonka 15 May 2013 08:12:13 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm thinking that maybe my vacuum cleaner could do the trick.

• Salaman 15 May 2013 09:30:27 19,603 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was thinking vacuum cleaner or one of those cans of pressurised air used to clean out PCs or keyboards.
  • malloc 16 May 2013 13:01:31 2,389 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it possible to change the number of lines displayed whilst writing a text ? I'm stuck on 3 lines which I don't know how to change.
  • Razz 16 May 2013 13:52:59 61,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Download and install Handcent SMS. When writing a text there is an up arrow under the text input box which will open a much larger box with many more lines.

Edited by Razz at 13:53:43 16-05-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• jamievilla 25 Jun 2013 09:05:34 596 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bit of a long shot but after any help with this.

Had my phone on the window cill while washing up, received a text and it vibrated straight into the washing up bowl.. Sigh.

After the rice solution, the phone seemed to be working fine but then the wake up button wouldn't work at all (even removed the case and pressing the button the circuit board didn't do anything). This was fine until the battery fully ran out and now, even though its fully charged I can't turn it on!

Any ideas? Or is it just properly fucked?
  • Tonka 25 Jun 2013 09:17:20 21,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm surprised you're even asking. That sounds well and proper fucked to me.

Or rice it some more just to be sure.

• Razz 25 Jun 2013 09:19:56 61,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Try a friends battery in it, if it's not that your fucked.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• L0cky 25 Jun 2013 10:11:51 1,556 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What is this magical rice solution?
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2013 10:39:20 25,624 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does it work when plugged in?

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2013 10:40:43 25,624 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    What is this magical rice solution?
    Rice absorbs liquid, so dunk it in bowl of rice after dunking it in a bowl of water ;)

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Page

of 16 First / Last