Google Nexus 4 Page 6

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• PrivateFloyd 15 Mar 2013 16:59:40 4,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So it did come today, that's frankly awesome considering I ordered it just before 4pm yesterday.

So, apps. Sorry for most likely repeating what has already been covered but this is my first foray into Android.

Questions;

1. Do I need to have an app to optimise battery consumption?
    2. Is it recommended to force quit apps or do they idle along in the background not slurping much power. The battery page in the settings frankly scares me compared to closed system of ios!!
    3. Any recommendations for the best app to generate custom widgets?
    4. Is there a calendar which is recommended over the stock one?

More questions will come I am sure but first impressions I'm loving it. Actually quite liberating to not be using an iphone!

/still love my ipad mini though

Goat is hungry.....

• Tonka 15 Mar 2013 18:30:46 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried a battery saving app but gave it up. I just plug it in over night instead. Depends on how much you use it I guess.

Likewise I find the big standard stock calendar to be perfectly fine for my needs.

Get SwiftKey though. Prure magic

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• malloc 15 Mar 2013 18:41:34 2,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    better than swype?
  • crashVoodoo 15 Mar 2013 23:55:07 3,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    So it did come today, that's frankly awesome considering I ordered it just before 4pm yesterday.

So, apps. Sorry for most likely repeating what has already been covered but this is my first foray into Android.

Questions;

1. Do I need to have an app to optimise battery consumption?
    2. Is it recommended to force quit apps or do they idle along in the background not slurping much power. The battery page in the settings frankly scares me compared to closed system of ios!!
    3. Any recommendations for the best app to generate custom widgets?
    4. Is there a calendar which is recommended over the stock one?

More questions will come I am sure but first impressions I'm loving it. Actually quite liberating to not be using an iphone!

/still love my ipad mini though
    You shouldn't need any battery doohickey.  Just use it for a few days first and get past the 'new gadget, must play' stage and into normal usage and see how you get on.  If you find you're hammering the battery then consider dialling things back.  Remember the GPS is always on and you need to go into location settings to turn it off.

As I have a fairly set daily routine Ive automated most of the turning on and off of WiFi Bluetooth GPS etc based on time of day.  I get through a a day quite easily and I tend to listed to quite a lot of music.

Most apps will trundle along nicely in the background if they're designed to.  Others will quit but android remembers where you left them and you should be able to jump back in the from the recent apps list.

There are loads of options for widgets built right in from bookmarks, direct dial, text email contacts directions for one click navigation etc.  If there something specific you're trying to do more than likely someone can help you.

The stock calendar works fine for me but I use simple calender widget to display a nice clean agenda on one of my screens.

Of all the people I've talked over to android the outstanding 'niggle' that most comment on is the back button not reacting how they expect.  It has its own logic and you will get used to it.  What I think blows most peoples mind who try android after iOS is the sharing features through the intent system.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:59:55 15-03-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Tonka 16 Mar 2013 11:17:50 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @malloc I haven't tried Swype but SwiftKey does swipe typing so it's the best of two worlds. With predictive typing being the second world.

• Razz 16 Mar 2013 11:53:36 61,003 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yaay! After the abrupt death of my Galaxy Note 1 I was resigned to go back to my shitty HTC Desire, but my awesome finacee has bought me a Nexus 4 as an early B-day pressie! We have a few other nexus products this will make a great adittion, can't wait to get my grubby mits on it! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• malloc 16 Mar 2013 19:51:48 2,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    my nexus 4 has all of a sudden stopped receiving texts. iss it a setting somewhere or my provider? aaahh
  • malloc 16 Mar 2013 20:05:22 2,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i can send to myself but atleast 2 have tried and failed, :(
  • Salaman 17 Mar 2013 15:30:46 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last time I had a similar isue, I had somehow unwittingly activated airplane mode.
  • L0cky 17 Mar 2013 23:25:14 1,514 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    i can send to myself but atleast 2 have tried and failed, :(
    Do you have another phone to try the sim card in? Just to eliminate the network first...
  • sanctusmortis 18 Mar 2013 09:37:22 9,627 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd to repeat what I've said in the technology thread - less than a fiver for 9 games in the new Humble Bundle, less than a day to go. Well worth it.
  • PrivateFloyd 18 Mar 2013 11:48:05 4,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @sanctusmortis

Already purchased my good man!

So I have spent the weekend with my Nexus and I have got to say I am bowled over. Seriously.

It took me 3 days to decide how to customise my screens but it now literally feels like a phone built around my needs rather than having to conform to the OS.

App purchases so far;

SwiftKey - didn't think I would be impressed by a keyboard app, I was wrong!

AirDroid - simple, effective.

Nova Prime - fantastic to continue customising.

WidgetLocker - customise lock screen, excellent app.

PowerAmp - why the fuck can you do not this on an iPhone?!

PowerToggles - I thought the toggle widget was a bit threadbare so this solved that problem.

Contacts+ - better than the stock phone app in my opinion.

Anywho, loving it.

Some questions for those who may be in the know.

When i review what apps are running it gives me an option to view cached processes. Is there any reason to stop these processes? Do they affect performance?

The iPhone allows you to "kill" apps running when you double press the home button? Is there similar functionality on the Nexus or is simply not required. The only thing I am conscious of is draining the battery unnecessarily.

Anyone using a different messages app to the stock one?

Any apps that allow you to take screengrabs? or is that functionality already there and I have missed it.

Goat is hungry.....

• Tonka 18 Mar 2013 12:08:28 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Screengrab is POwerbutton + Volume down
    Then it shows up in the otification center for easy sharing to wat ever app you can imagine. Get an imgUrl app for maximum combo damage

To "kill"programs klick the multitask button (third on the right bottom) and swipe left or right on the app you want to kill.

Get DashClock widget for really nice lock screen notifications.

• Tonka 18 Mar 2013 12:13:08 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Imgur plus screengrab to link all in the notification centre demo

http://www.imgur.com/cASIkZL.png

• PrivateFloyd 18 Mar 2013 13:36:05 4,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka

You are a gent and a squire thank you muchly.

Goat is hungry.....

• Deleted user 18 March 2013 19:57:44
    Tonka, what did you use for that homescreen? Looks awesome.
  • crashVoodoo 18 Mar 2013 20:14:22 3,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    testing Imgur share

Mowgli, its dashclock

Edited by crashVoodoo at 20:15:04 18-03-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Tonka 18 Mar 2013 21:28:46 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mowgli yep, that's dash clock widget with some added features from Press and sunrise something... You can find compatible apps from the widget settings.

Not only is it pretty but it's genuinely useful.

• Deleted user 18 March 2013 21:36:29
    Good man cheers! (both)

Edited by mowgli at 21:37:20 18-03-2013
  • PrivateFloyd 29 Mar 2013 20:49:09 4,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So 2 weeks with this Nexus 4 and I'm not looking back.

Absolutely fantastic piece of kit and not one niggle to be heard of.

If it wasn't only 2.5" smaller than the Nexus 7 I would plump for one of them as well but it's nice still having the ipad mini (even though it hasnt had a look in for the past 2 weeks).

Goat is hungry.....

• crsmithy 29 Mar 2013 23:24:13 22 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mine came through yesterday and after getting a phone booth on Tottenham Court Road to punch a Micro Sim out of my old normal sim I've been having a good play around.

Initial impressions are very positive, I've been blowing through my battery though I think that is mainly because I have been in 'ohh shiney!' mode at the moment.

Seeing what you can do to customize it just makes me more interested; don't get me wrong, stock Android is pretty enough but I do love a good tinker!
  • Tonka 2 Apr 2013 07:34:40 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    crsmithy wrote:
    Initial impressions are very positive, I've been blowing through my battery though I think that is mainly because I have been in 'ohh shiney!' mode at the moment.
    I had a period two or three weeks ago were my battery was constantly falling through the floor. I thought the lastets Jelly Bean build had something to do with it. Then I stopped playing Knights' of Pen and Paper every chance I got and battery would last me through the day easily.

• Uncle_Silver 2 Apr 2013 09:39:35 127 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I ended up returning my nexus 4, the battery life was terrible!!

Happily back on an iphone 4s now.
  • Tonka 2 Apr 2013 11:24:29 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Uncle_Silver How often did you have to re-charge it? And is it true that the google maps app on iOS doesn't do public transport navigation?

• Razz 2 Apr 2013 11:37:06 61,003 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's odd my nexus 4 battery lasts for a couple days on one charge, but to be fair I don't make or receive many phone calls. My friends and I are all SMS and Google talk users

• Salaman 2 Apr 2013 11:44:30 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still haven't found a satisfactory way to use it as a phone. I.e. to be aware of when people are calling or texting me.
    At work I set it to vibrate but even when it's lying right there next to my keyboard, I don't notice incoming notifications. It vibrates too weakly to be noticed.

Out of the office, say in the car, full volume isn't loud enough to be heard over the car/road noise/music.

If I'm out and about in town, full volume is too low to be heard and vibrate it to weak to be noticed.

I basically have to check the phone constantly to see if I missed any calls or received any texts.
    I have downloaded an app that let's you define what colour the led blinks for different events, so now I can see I have an sms from that.

Apart from that niggle I love it. Does a lot of things very well.
  • PrivateFloyd 2 Apr 2013 11:45:37 4,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Uncle_Silver

Don't understand that at all. I would class myself as medium to high user and i unplug my phone at 7am and when i go to bed at around midnight I generally have between 20%-40% remaining.

It really is a remarkable piece of kit.

I have put myself in a right pickle however. Short version. My work pays for my sim contract, my old iphone 4 was mine. Last year they said my sim was not eligible to receive a handset (fair enough I thought, they pay for all calls, data etc). So I treated myself to a Nexus 4.

Yesterday, one of the directors tells me they are upgrading at the end of the year and I am welcome to whatever the newest iphone is for nowt. Obviously I can't take the handset off them and not use it so I'm faced with either jumping back on ios at the end of the year or politely refusing the phone.

/ponders when the next google phone is due out....

Goat is hungry.....

• Deleted user 2 April 2013 11:50:29
    Bad battery life on the Nexus 4 was a very frequent complaint in all reviews and ultimately led to me sticking with my Note + spare battery.
  • Tonka 2 Apr 2013 11:58:20 20,166 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Salaman Texts are tricky I agree. The flashing light is flashin too seldom as well. As for the ringing I changed to a signal that wakes the dead.

Pyxis. Try that one.

• Razz 2 Apr 2013 12:04:30 61,003 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Change to using Handcent as your SMS handler, it changes the way the LED works. It stays on and blue when you get an unread SMS.

Edited by Razz at 12:05:00 02-04-2013

• Page

of 16 First / Last