Google Nexus 4 Page 5

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• gamingdave 6 Feb 2013 15:48:55 4,187 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got mine now and it's a lovely piece of kit, but having a major issue with my router at home. It connects, and then the wifi icon changes from grey to blue but yet it simply cant access the internet. Its a talktalk supplied router and it seems that lots of people are in the same boat or having other major wifi issues.

Works fine on another 2 networks I have tried, and never had a problem with the router at home before connecting iPhones, an S2 and an HTC along with all my consoles.

Was also suprised to see they had dropped USB OTG from it too.

Overall I am really impressed with it. The phone call quality is top notch, the camera is decent, and the screen is lovely. The OS (my issues aside) is blisteringly fast as are maps and search. Hopefully my issues are resolvable or ill be sending it back to Google which would be a real shame.
  • L0cky 6 Feb 2013 17:14:13 1,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had that wifi issue with the Nexus 7 for a couple of days. Rebooting my router fixed it in the end.

Other devices were fine, was quite strange.
  • crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 17:15:53 3,853 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    does anybody have wonky bluetooth on their N4 ?
    It seems to either nerf the pair or the volume between the pair.

I pair it to car for listening to music/podcasts while driving to work and it works perfectly. if i make or receive a call and then try and resume the audio it doesn't work.

The app plays but there is no sound even though the volume is up. I can no longer hear phone calls anymore. I tried to repair and it sometimes fixes it but sometimes the only way is to reboot the phone.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• gamingdave 6 Feb 2013 23:07:34 4,187 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rebooted the router lots of times, changed channels, changed security, changed just about everything I can find and still no luck. There are threads all over XDA-developers and the Google bug tracker which have been running for months and yet no word from Google. Really bad show.

And which idiot thought a slippery glass back with no case lips was a good idea. It's constantly trying to slip off the sofa and on a desk if any cable is plugged in it can start dragging it away.

Really want to love this phone as it's got so much potential, but at the moment I am really not pleased.
  • Shikasama 8 Feb 2013 15:57:21 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm upgrading in a few days and I'm tempted by one of these buggers
  • orpheus 8 Feb 2013 17:17:42 994 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You won't regret it. Lovely bit of kit, only downside is the slippery back that everyone's mentioned - but you soon get used to it.
  • Shikasama 8 Feb 2013 17:21:53 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does it have a replaceable battery?
  • grey_matters 8 Feb 2013 17:44:43 3,676 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone tempted to try the Ubuntu rom that they're supposedly releasing for this at the end of the month?
    Looks better than I would have expected.
  • orpheus 8 Feb 2013 18:04:30 994 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Does it have a replaceable battery?
    Sadly, no. Battery life seems fine though.
  • Shikasama 9 Feb 2013 09:14:33 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure which way to go. It's between this and the S3 - I know the Nexus is the better piece of kit but the lack of a replaceable battery and inability to extend the storage is irritating.

On the other hand, I'd quite like to have the nexus for the synergy with my nexus 7...but I'm assuming I can do all of my google integration stuff onm the Samsung anyway (I'm guessing I can update it to Jelly Bean).

God dammit, with the margins so small it's hard for me to make a choice.
  • PrivateFloyd 13 Mar 2013 10:11:24 4,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any Nexus 4 owners jumped ship from an iPhone 4?

My work pays for my Sim but not the handset unfortunately. Just lately the iPhone has pissed me off no end, battery is exhausted I think and it seems to slow to a crawl alot.

Will i see a major improvement with the Nexus? Not fussed about iOS apps as I have an ipad mini for all that.

Need a functional, quick phone that does email well particularly with a bit of personalisation.

At £239 its a bit of a no brainer when i can sack my iphone 4 off for just under £200.

Goat is hungry.....

• Tonka 13 Mar 2013 10:19:24 20,025 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd My colleague did just that. The only thing he misses is AirPlay but he had invested in an AirPort express at home so that he would be able to stream Spotify to speakers in his livingroom (or whatever)

Otherwise "I switched from iPhone to Android" has become a genre of its own in tech writing.

I'll track down some links

Here
    Here
    Here
    Here

Edited by Tonka at 10:24:27 13-03-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• pauleyc 13 Mar 2013 10:21:57 4,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here's one for starters: "An iPhone Loverís Confession: I Switched To the Nexus 4. Completely."
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 10:24:57 10,314 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:

My work pays for my Sim but not the handset unfortunately. Just lately the iPhone has pissed me off no end, battery is exhausted I think and it seems to slow to a crawl alot.

Will i see a major improvement with the Nexus? Not fussed about iOS apps as I have an ipad mini for all that.

Need a functional, quick phone that does email well particularly with a bit of personalisation.

At £239 its a bit of a no brainer when i can sack my iphone 4 off for just under £200.
    I jumped to the Galaxy S3 from an iPhone 4 and massively regret it.
    I can't wait for the end of my contract to get back to an iPhone and dump this sluggish, annoying piece of shit.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Tonka 13 Mar 2013 10:26:29 20,025 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, yep ^^that's one of them

As for e-mail I really don't know. I only use gMail and I think that the Google Gmail app is nice enough. But I have nothing to compare it too.

From what I understand the iOS standard email client and calendar are absolute rubbish (why else is every second hyped iPhone app either an email client or a calendar?)

• Tonka 13 Mar 2013 10:31:13 20,025 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LockeTribal

SwiftKey - is a must. It will blow your socks off
    AirDroid - to move stuff between your phone and any computer
    Press - if you have a bunch of RSS feeds in your Google reader
    DashClock widget - for great lockscreen updates
    ES Filebrowser - or some other file browser
    Changelog Droid - Collects all the changelogs for your apps in one place
    Eniro - if you live in Sweden this will show you who is calling you (quick way to get rid of phonesalesmen)
    Battery Widget Reborn PRO - will give you a tonne of stats plus a night mode setting
    PowerToggles - adds a bunch of easy setting toggles that aren't in the standard set
    Lookout - like Find My iPhone but it will also snap an image of anyone unsuccessfully trying to unlock your phone and emails it to you
    Imgur - There are a few of them. Quick and easy sharing of images.

But really, SwiftKey is where it's at. You need SwiftKey aven though you might think you don't. You neeed it.

Oh, and uTorrent.
    And DICE player - better than any media player on iOS. (Trust me I've tried a fair few of them)

Appendix 1:
    What you need to get into is how to use the "Share..." menu. On an iDevice you can only share to Twitter and Facebook "system wise" iirc. On Android you can share to any app that accepts what it is you are currently looking at.

So if you read something on the web and want to save it to Pocket you DO NOT
    Fiddle with the URL to select it
    Copy it
    Exit your browser
    Open Pocket
    Press that "Would you like to add this URL to Pocket" button

Instead you:
    Open the menu
    Press Share
    Select the App you'd like to share to (Pocket in this case)

This works with the Imgur App I listed above. So I can screengrab something, then from the Notification bar I select share and Imgur, then in the notification bar I'll be able to copy the URL to that image and then post it on here.

It's a very different mindset where the system takes care of a lot of things that Apps have to do on iDevices. Flipboard is laughably burdened with iOS workarounds for sharing and favoriting.

Edited by Tonka at 10:32:30 13-03-2013

• CosmicFuzz 13 Mar 2013 10:32:15 23,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:

I can't wait for the end of my contract to get back to an iPhone and dump this sluggish, annoying piece of shit.
    Really? I'm pretty much the opposite. I am loving android, it's so customisable and there's loads of nice little touches iOS lacks (like automatically updating apps, what a brilliant little thing). I also really like my S3, it's plenty fast, and even at the times when it chuggs slightly, there were times my iPhone didn't he exact same. But the large screen and great software completely have me. I don't think I'll be going back to apple any time soon, especially if they keep up with their boring handsets.

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• pauleyc 13 Mar 2013 10:39:17 4,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Regarding customization, just have a look at Mycolorscreen. Some of the things you can do with a custom launcher and a handful of specialized apps are incredible.
  • LockeTribal 13 Mar 2013 10:48:52 4,498 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka Thanks a million Tonka, very much obliged.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Mar 2013 10:51:02 10,314 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    PrivateFloyd wrote:

Really? I'm pretty much the opposite. I am loving android, it's so customisable and there's loads of nice little touches iOS lacks (like automatically updating apps, what a brilliant little thing). I also really like my S3, it's plenty fast, and even at the times when it chuggs slightly, there were times my iPhone didn't he exact same. But the large screen and great software completely have me. I don't think I'll be going back to apple any time soon, especially if they keep up with their boring handsets.
    There are plenty of things that are nicer in Android, updates, notifications etc. but the simple things such as getting and playing music onto the phone (Apple lossless), reading my mac mail (impossible), syncing calendars is such a pain in the tits if you're a mac user.
    The phone is laughably slow compared to an iPhone, delays on everything, I rooted it and stuck another ROM on it to no avail.
    I might reset it and take the fucker back and see if there's anything wrong with it.

Opening switching apps on the iPhone is always instant, on this abortion there's almost always a delay.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Tonka 13 Mar 2013 10:54:05 20,025 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LockeTribal You're welcome.

Also, take baby steps. Start off by using what's on the phone (as there is plenty) I love the short cuts as an example. Before I was slightly annoyed at how many clicks I had to do to call my wife. Now I have a shortcut on one of my homescreens so that I can one-click call her.

Another shortcut takes me straight to where I left off reading the "ware" quadrology (free btw) in Aldiko

• L0cky 13 Mar 2013 11:56:29 1,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    There are plenty of things that are nicer in Android, updates, notifications etc. but the simple things such as getting and playing music onto the phone (Apple lossless), reading my mac mail (impossible), syncing calendars is such a pain in the tits if you're a mac user.
    To be fair, those things are Apple's fault, not Android. Whether you care or not is up to you, but you should beware of vendor lock in.
  • PrivateFloyd 13 Mar 2013 23:22:09 4,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Took the plunge and purchased. Excited!

Question, will my iphone 4 sim card fit straight into the nexus?

Goat is hungry.....

• crashVoodoo 14 Mar 2013 01:02:12 3,853 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Took the plunge and purchased. Excited!

Question, will my iphone 4 sim card fit straight into the nexus?
    It should do its a micro sim.† Only the iPhone 5 uses the nano sim IIRC

Good choice BTW. I'm rocking a N4 too, quite a leap from where i started in android on the old G1.† If you need help just give a shout and myself or many others will lend a hand.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 01:05:13 14-03-2013

• crashVoodoo 14 Mar 2013 01:08:10 3,853 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    To be fair, those things are Apple's fault, not Android. Whether you care or not is up to you, but you should beware of vendor lock in.
    What happens when you connect the s3 up to the Mac.† Does it not show up as a drive for you to just copy music onto it?

Where are you calendars?† Are they local or cloud based?

• Tonka 14 Mar 2013 12:01:02 20,025 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @crashVoodoo On a mac you need to install a special software to be able to connect. I think it will tell you...

Android conenct or some such.

You can also (you really should do this anyway just for sheer jaw dropping) try AirDroid. Not to move loads of music maybe. But for the odd bit and bob it's nigh on magical.

As for calendar it uses Google Calendar by default. As that is the one I use both privately and at work I haven't looked into alternatives.

But it syncs up across your accounts.

• Salaman 14 Mar 2013 12:37:20 18,883 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zime for calendar?
  • Vice.Destroyer 14 Mar 2013 21:38:49 5,823 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz I remember us both queuing for iPhone 4. How times have changed. You have gone Android. I have gone Windows 8. Just goes to show that not changing their OS aesthetically can even put fanboys like us off completely.
  • PrivateFloyd 14 Mar 2013 22:19:08 4,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I ordered mine this afternoon, despite them saying 3 days before shipping I have just had an email from them with a tracking number for TNT.

Can I expect my new shiny tomorrow?!

Goat is hungry.....

• sanctusmortis 15 Mar 2013 14:50:28 9,627 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Vice.Destroyer I'll be doing the exact same (jumping ship from a 4) as soon as I have a job again. I think the 4's the last generation of people who jump, it seems - 4S and 5 users seem happy to wait for the 5S, whereas 3GS and 4 users tend to pick a new platform.

Interestingly, the wife (3GS) went for a Lumia 620, and I'm waiting for the I/O conference to consider Android...
  • Page

of 16 First / Last