• Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous
  • Razz 25 Oct 2012 13:08:51 61,665 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh hello!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/25/lg-nexus-4-appears-release-date/

Whoa there! The next Nexus just got an early reveal over at UK retailer Carphone Warehouse. Delivery is currently pegged for October 30th and apparently it's got brand new Android 4.2 (or Android 4.1.2 -- the listing mixes in both). The preorder screen confirms plenty of details we've already heard, including that 4.7-inch 1,280 x 768 display, Snapdragon S4 processor and 8-megapixel camera. Unfortunately, at least according to the phone seller, there's only 8GB of storage and no microSD card slot. Other curious parts include a "360-degree camera", whatever that is, and an on-screen render that's been previously been identified as a custom ROM. Diving into the supposed feature list, we're intrigued to see whether "gesture typing" will form a part of Google's new Android build -- the Carphone Warehouse compares it to Swype's finger-dragging input method.

Price-wise, it looks like you could get the handset for free on contracts over 31 per month, with both O2 and Vodafone named as prospective networks for the device in the UK -- but no news here on whether the 4G-capable EE will offer an LTE iteration. Excited? Good, because we're going to hear plenty more on this next week.

CPW Store page

Edited by Razz at 13:10:18 25-10-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• CharlieStCloud 25 Oct 2012 13:20:26 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lovely phone ...

... but 8GB?

That's poor.

I have one piece of good news regarding the Nexus 4 and that is, SIM free, it shall be available for 389.
  • Carlo 25 Oct 2012 13:26:46 18,246 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah 8GB and no SD card?

That's a bit

Edited by Carlo at 13:27:15 25-10-2012

PSN ID: Djini

• Razz 25 Oct 2012 14:11:41 61,665 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whilst the screen size is nice, I'm inclined to agree, it's a bit underwhelming. I'm really hoping the rumours are true that a number of vendors are making Nexus 4 models, hopefully we'll see some better versions soon.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• mcmonkeyplc 25 Oct 2012 14:19:35 39,571 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That is one average phone. Hope you're right Razz.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 25 October 2012 14:21:18
    4.1.2 or 4.2?

Yup, this is what is wrong with Android.
  • gamingdave 25 Oct 2012 15:24:01 4,334 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc It really isn't average. The only thing average about it is the storage. Everything else makes it a top tier device.

Lost my S2 at the weekend and was looking what to possibly get as an alternative replacement. I was swaying to the Samsung Nexus as I really want to have a vanilla device. Though that has it's camera as a weak point, which going by the leaked reports this seems to address.

I don't personally find storage a big deal, as I don't carry video around with me (apart from what I have shot myself) and generally stream music from my own subsonic server. It is disappointing it doesn't have expandable memory though, as it's nice to have options.

Be interesting to see if there are indeed other Nexus phones announced on Monday, but I suspect we would have more concrete rumours if it was so.
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Oct 2012 15:25:27 39,571 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't see anything that makes me think wow that's sure better than my GS3.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• gamingdave 25 Oct 2012 15:29:20 4,334 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc Neither do I, other than being Nexus so instant updates. But I really wouldn't call the S3 an average phone!
  • sanctusmortis 26 Oct 2012 13:07:42 9,807 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still hoping the rumour that the Butterfly J is coming over here as the Nexus 5 is true. 1080P 5" screen phone? Yes please.
  • CharlieStCloud 29 Oct 2012 17:20:07 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wow, Google have been busy in the past couple of hours ...

... a 32GB Nexus 7 (both Wi-Fi and 3G options available), the new Nexus 10 tablet by Samsung, a new Nexus phone called 'Nexus 4' by LG and finally, a glimpse of Android 4.2, which offers a surprising amount of new features!

I hope Google price the Nexus 4 at 249 (or less) if it's going for a very reasonable $299 in America.
  • CharlieStCloud 29 Oct 2012 17:40:02 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jolly good news!

A SIM free Nexus 4 (8GB) is 239 and the 16GB model is only forty pounds dearer at 279!

That's how you price your blooming phones Apple ... not an extra 100 for doubling your memory.
  • uiruki 29 Oct 2012 18:02:36 3,766 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great price. 8GB isn't such a pain as you might think - I use Google Music a lot on my GNex and have barely gone over 8GB used without any kind of thought or management.

Also, 40 for 8GB is more expensive per gigabyte than Apple's prices - 529 for 16GB iPhone 5 versus 599 for the 32.
  • Stranded87 29 Oct 2012 18:06:19 1,009 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm very tempted by a Nexus 4 at that price. Don't normally change phone till I'm due an upgrade but I could probably sell my S2 for a decent chunk of change to help finance it. Things starting to piss me off/bore me and I love pure Android.

If this is as good as it sounds and doesn't take the world by storm then there really is no justice.

I will be waiting for reviews though. If nothing else I don't trust LG to make a decent phone, I'm slightly surprised Google partnered with them for it.

Edited by Stranded87 at 18:08:51 29-10-2012
  • gamingdave 29 Oct 2012 18:18:57 4,334 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazing prices really, especially the Nexus 10 when compared to the iPad.

Fingers crossed the Nexus 4 should be a solid device as the LG Optimus G it is based on reviews very favourably with the only criticism being the OS, which stock Android should resolve.

One of the biggest features in Android 4.2 is the introduction (finally) of user profiles. I have always found it staggering that these tablets were sold with no options for multiple users. Since getting the Nexus 7 it's really only been me using it, as the wife and I don't want to have to be logging in and out of Gmail and social networks. It's fine on a phone, when it's really just your device, but for a tablet the only reason I could see them not including it is to try and sell more devices.

I'm on an S2 at the moment (well actually back to my old iPhone 3GS after misplacing the S2) but that will be going to the wife and ill be picking up a Nexus 4 as long as it reviews positively.
  • CharlieStCloud 29 Oct 2012 20:21:03 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was um'ing and ah'ing over between buying a Pure Google phone and a Windows Phone 8 for quite a while now ... and after today's news from both camps, I shall happily buy the Nexus 4 for two very good reasons:

I feel that the Google Play ecosystem is much more healthy compared to what the Windows Phone 8 offers at this moment in time (they have come leaps and bounds from Windows Phone 7 though) and the price ... I cannot believe the Nexus 4 is 239!

Nexus 4 homepage ... : )

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 20:30:01 29-10-2012
  • uiruki 29 Oct 2012 20:36:03 3,766 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be honest, I can't think of a reason to get the Windows Phone 8 devices over a Nexus now, unless you really need a better mobile camera. If nothing else, Google doesn't have a track record of throwing their customers under the bus on updates like MS do (that Windows Mobile 6.5 device which met the specs for 7 but had "too many buttons" or some such BS for an upgrade, the mess that was the Kin and of course WM7 itself).
  • Sharzam 29 Oct 2012 20:48:46 3,383 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How the hell is this so cheap. I had it in my mind that it would be 500+ like all other launch nexus phones. Super powerful specs, good screen and nexus updates.

Only downside is the storage, if was 32gb or expandable i would be all over this despite having just bought the LG X4 for almost 300.

Thing is i downloaded the HD version of 'Bards Tale' from the play store yesterday and that was 5GB. Which is no problem when i have 43GB available to me, but a download that size is a huge chunk out of the Nexus.

ps: Bards Tale is ace.

Edited by Sharzam at 20:55:49 29-10-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Stranded87 29 Oct 2012 21:08:14 1,009 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah lack of expandable storage is a real shame. I don't know why Google seem set on omitting it from all the Nexus stuff despite it being one of the big selling points of Android over iOS. But these days I find myself chucking most games etc on my tablet so I'm unlikely to go over 16GB on my phone.
  • infoxicated 31 Oct 2012 21:18:32 1,243 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Today I got my PAC for leaving Orange/NothingNowhere, so I have 30 days to make up my mind. Or, to paraphrase Ace Ventura, just wait longer!

I would have been all over this if it had 32Gb of memory, but 16Gb is weak sauce. I'm over 21Gb routinely on my current phone and could easily use up the rest of its 32Gb card.

So I'm a bit disappointed in the Nexus 4 - the hardware specs otherwise are great, but 16Gb seems paltry when the HTC One X+ has a 64Gb option.
  • Carlo 31 Oct 2012 22:09:58 18,246 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They done this with the nexus 7. Underestimated how much storage people want. It took 3 months to 'fix' it. Maybe they'll do the same with the Nexus 4.

• CharlieStCloud 2 Nov 2012 19:45:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oohhh, the reviews are in!

Engadget - Sure, the Nexus 4 is not without its hiccups, but none of its predecessors have been perfect, either. And given the boost in real-world performance, the better camera and various other new features, it's even more tempting than all those previous devices whose shoes it's trying to fill. In a case like this... you have our permission not to resist.

The Verge - The Nexus 4 is absolutely wonderful, but it's also vexing. Frustrating. Annoying. It's easily the best Android phone on the market right now, and has some of the most powerful software that's ever been put on a mobile phone. It's an upgrade from last year's Galaxy Nexus in every way. It's terrific save for one small thing ... LTE.

One thing that I find a little bit worrying is that The Verge says the battery is top notch - 'to say it's holding up for full work days would be an understatement; even with heavy use, this battery more than pulls its weight' - whereas Engadget are saying, well ... the opposite!
  • Carlo 2 Nov 2012 20:00:47 18,246 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've always found phone battery life to be heavily dependant on reception and screen brightness.

• oceanmotion 2 Nov 2012 20:05:10 16,129 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cracking price but the storage and glass back are negatives for me. Still.quite tempting.
  • Carlo 2 Nov 2012 20:09:14 18,246 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Cracking price but the storage and glass back are negatives for me. Still.quite tempting.
    You do know they sell a 16GB version for 279 though right?

• Sharzam 4 Nov 2012 13:00:49 3,383 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes alot of things effect the battery.

For one a phone will always try to get the best signal it can so if your in a poor reception area it will drain faster. And of course the obvious one of screen usage. At the end of the day battery life is highly subjective for one persons use a phone might last 5 hours for another persons use it might last 3 days.

Iam thinking my LG X4 HD is perfect for me save a few jellybean lovleys (had a Nexus S prior), also i noticed the GPS update is a tad slow and so doesnt keep pace all the time and is generally slow to lock on. If they updated the phone to latest android i would be happy with the X4, on other hand the Nexus 4 will always be up to date but storage bugger.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• BEAR-ONE 5 Nov 2012 22:05:46 77 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a DROID Razr at the moment, but I cracked the screen a while ago. The Nex4 could be the excuse to change.
    I would like to see a couple more reviews to get a better idea of the battery life though.

Size wise it looks like its about the size of the Galaxy Nexus no?
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2012 16:12:29 34,497 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read another couple of reviews today (think android central and android police) which did mention very average battery life. Looks like 2-3 hours of screen "on" time. Thats pretty poor no matter what you are doing. Especially without the option of a spare.
  • THFourteen 13 Nov 2012 07:40:34 34,497 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    anyone pushing the button on one of these today?

tempted to trade in my Note, now that i'm getting an ipad Mini i don't need a big phone anymore, and the note still has resale value (200 to phone recylcing companies! morons!)

Only thing i'm worrried about is battery life.

Edited by THFourteen at 07:40:45 13-11-2012
  • Tonka 13 Nov 2012 07:44:55 21,369 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Where can I get one?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 16 First / Last

Previous