Rab Florence / Lost Humanity Page 18

  • Page

    of 22 First / Last

  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 12:23:55
    RPS comment is also up.
  • morriss 30 Oct 2012 12:33:14 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't understand how one relatively poorly paid games writer can threaten a million-dollar company. Throw a legal team at her until she realises that if she does lose, paying lawyers and legal fees would leave her completely bankrupt. Or, if you do lose, take the hit for what you believe in.

    Everybody's lost. Everyone.
  • morriss 30 Oct 2012 12:38:41 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From the RPS article: However, we’re also disappointed that Eurogamer didn’t stand up to these threats and call Wainwright’s bluff.

    Glad someone other than me has now said it.
  • matrim83 30 Oct 2012 12:40:10 5,597 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah good response. Best you can hope for in a fucked up situation like this.

    Valar morghulis.

  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 12:40:23
    I think plenty of people have said that other than you.
  • morriss 30 Oct 2012 12:43:03 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Publicly. Not on forums.
  • Bremenacht 30 Oct 2012 12:56:22 19,647 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Everybody's lost. Everyone.
    I disagree. Some people and some websites will come out as winners. It's drawn attention to the subject.

    If someone turns on the kitchen light and sees cockroaches scurrying for the darkness under the fridge, it's more likely that someone will seek to do something about it.

    Hopefully, this incident will make some people more likely to challenge this behaviour. They've probably got an army of commenters who'd support them now.
  • jellyhead 30 Oct 2012 12:58:23 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it's amazing that she threatened libel for HER OWN WORDS! She said those things, she sent those tweets and they were public.

    It staggers my mind, it really does.

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Tonka 30 Oct 2012 13:29:07 21,333 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gods, I fell sorry for Wainwright. She's burnt.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • glo 30 Oct 2012 13:30:45 3,438 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have zero sympathy for her. She brought it on herself and she deserves to be burnt.
  • Rusty_M 30 Oct 2012 13:30:50 4,916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder how long Tom took writing and rewriting that front page blog post.

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

  • Metalfish 30 Oct 2012 13:44:03 8,874 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like to be a good person and try and feel sympathy for her horrible situation, but it doesn't look like one isolated decision that's got her in this hole.
  • spamdangled 30 Oct 2012 13:50:25 27,441 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's hard to feel sympathy for someone who has shown such a lack of remorse. Any sympathy she may have deserved disappeared into the ether when she started bragging about making legal threats.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • President_Weasel 30 Oct 2012 13:53:33 9,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I don't understand how one relatively poorly paid games writer can threaten a million-dollar company. Throw a legal team at her until she realises that if she does lose, paying lawyers and legal fees would leave her completely bankrupt. Or, if you do lose, take the hit for what you believe in.

    Everybody's lost. Everyone.
    I agree with you entirely. I'd also point out that Rab had about a quarter of an internet's worth of potential contributors to a "freedom of speech vs dodgy libel laws" fund, if things got to that stage.
  • President_Weasel 30 Oct 2012 13:56:23 9,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gods, I fell sorry for Wainwright. She's burnt.
    Those who cannot remember the Streisand Effect are doomed to repeat it. She behaved both poorly and ineptly, and her career will now, hopefully, suffer.

    Seriously, running round various sites trying to delete evidence from the internet? In 2013?
  • X201 30 Oct 2012 13:56:30 15,729 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    I think it's amazing that she threatened libel for HER OWN WORDS! She said those things, she sent those tweets and they were public.
    It wasn't what she said, it was what Rab said he thought about her after she'd said them.
  • spamdangled 30 Oct 2012 13:59:26 27,441 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He wasn't saying what he thought of her though - he was saying what others may end up perceiving of her. He even went so far as to say he was sure she wasn't a shill. His point was that, in journalism, how your audience perceives you is just as - if not more - important as how you actually conduct yourself.

    Though, presumably, he had no idea of all the stuff about her that has since coming to light showing her up to be exactly that.

    Edited by darkmorgado at 14:01:00 30-10-2012

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • jellyhead 30 Oct 2012 14:17:22 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @darkmorgado Exactly. She said those things, she said them on twitter. Rab's article pointed out that they could be percieved as being PR/Marketing. His main point is that many of the enthusiast press need to up their standards and self-awareness. He even said that Dave and Lauren were not the worst examples but merely the most recent and that he was sure they were not dodgy people.

    Dave had a think and made a statement that he'd be more thoughtful in future and everyone accepted that.

    Lauren threw her toys out of the pram and acted badly. Hiding things away and deleting posts which just reinforced that she hadn't read Rab's article correctly at all and made her look even more guilty.

    Someone on NeoGAF found this on VG247 from 2008 regarding outlets being told that scores under 8/10 for Tomb Raider should be held back until after the weekend.

    atheistium is Lauren.

    Really.

    This signature intentionally left blank.

  • Tonka 30 Oct 2012 14:22:17 21,333 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Seriously, running round various sites trying to delete evidence from the internet? In 2013?
    You made both laugh and look in my calendar.

    Anyhows. I think she did what Tom didn't. Act in anger.

    I really liked Tom's post. He must have been under a lot of stress. I remember how he stood his ground during the Darkfailol. The two topics he picks aren't the ones I would have picked if I could have chosen. Well, the first one is. But the second would be:

    "A long list of cases of shady behavior I've witnessed. Complete with names"

    Now, let's put all this behind us and go out and buy the latest update of a big franchise.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Bremenacht 30 Oct 2012 14:36:31 19,647 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Gods, I fell sorry for Wainwright. She's burnt.
    Those who cannot remember the Streisand Effect are doomed to repeat it. She behaved both poorly and ineptly, and her career will now, hopefully, suffer.

    Seriously, running round various sites trying to delete evidence from the internet? In 2013?
    I feel a bit sorry for her too. That's not defending her though. I'm just thinking of the years of abuse and trolling and hounding that she can expect in response to any on-line article she may post for years to come.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 14:55:43
    We've had this, right?

    http://nukezilla.com/2008/11/23/so-this-tomb-raider-controversy/

    LOL
  • morriss 30 Oct 2012 15:08:24 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    I don't understand how one relatively poorly paid games writer can threaten a million-dollar company. Throw a legal team at her until she realises that if she does lose, paying lawyers and legal fees would leave her completely bankrupt. Or, if you do lose, take the hit for what you believe in.

    Everybody's lost. Everyone.
    I agree with you entirely. I'd also point out that Rab had about a quarter of an internet's worth of potential contributors to a "freedom of speech vs dodgy libel laws" fund, if things got to that stage.
    That'd be a worthy Kickstarter.
  • Psychotext 30 Oct 2012 15:13:01 55,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I feel a bit sorry for her too. That's not defending her though. I'm just thinking of the years of abuse and trolling and hounding that she can expect in response to any on-line article she may post for years to come.
    Maybe it'll encourage her to become a better journalist... or hell, at least get a clue when it comes to ethics.
  • morriss 30 Oct 2012 15:16:38 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She's just so ingratiated. She's a living, breathing result of what everyone's talking about. Shame, really, but hopefully a warning to other journos out there.
  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 15:20:11
    She isn't the story, it's a shame that the entire issue seems to be getting trivialised into an attack on her by some people.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Oct 2012 15:27:59 39,732 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    She isn't the story, but through her actions she certainly made it seem that way.

    So now we have two stories.

    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • Deleted user 30 October 2012 15:37:32
    And the focus is leaning heavily towards the more inane one of a woman doing something stupid rather than the bigger and more important one of press freedom, press independence and pr involvement.
  • morriss 30 Oct 2012 15:43:02 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    And the focus is leaning heavily towards the more inane one of a woman doing something stupid rather than the bigger and more important one of press freedom, press independence and pr involvement.
    ^^
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Oct 2012 15:46:17 39,732 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know, and it's because it's a clear and easy target. One throat to choke as my customer says. Doesn't mean the bigger, more difficult issue is going away. It's just harder to tackle.

    Edited by MrTomFTW at 15:46:49 30-10-2012

    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • Page

    of 22 First / Last

Log in or register to reply