Smartphones - for 'stupid' people? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • DaM 22 Oct 2012 21:52:10 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The iPhone is the type of device I dreamed of as a child, couldn't do without it. I was never bothered with phones much before - even ones that had some more advanced capabilities, they were practicably unusable due to primitive interfaces. I have a PowerMonkey for emergency charging, but usually get by with a quick charge at the office, in the car.

I was checking the stats on a couple of my business websites today, looking at the proportion of visitors using mobile devices. Xmas 2011, practically zero. Xmas 2012 5%. Today, just over 20% of traffic was from a mobile device - 45% iPhone, 45% iPad, 10% the rest. I think this trend will continue, so any of you with websites, I'd make sure that they look OK on these forms. Mine are fine on iPad and iPhone. Not sure about the 7" form though, so think I'll have to put a Google Nexus through the books to test. It's a legitimate business expense!
  • Deckard1 22 Oct 2012 21:52:11 27,124 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My S3 is my best friend. It makes me laugh, it likes the same music as me, it always feels horny when feel horny, it never judges me, it even keeps me entertained when I'm pooing. I love you S3.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2012 22:12:06
    I charge my xperia play every day but that is to be expected as games need much juice. I am still amazed how I can play some Android games on it with physical buttons where other people have to use touch screen. Of course its outdated by today's standards but it's still pretty good as an all around device/handheld/phone and I have come to the conclusion its more suitable for me than an iPhone /had a few of those too/.
  • Carlo 22 Oct 2012 22:22:26 17,948 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just buy one of these FFS

http://androidos.in/2012/10/e-ink-android-phone-promises-a-week-long-battery-life/

PSN ID: Djini

• sport 22 Oct 2012 22:29:01 12,538 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iphone
  • caligari 21 Sep 2013 11:37:40 16,989 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I think that Louis CK has summed it up perfectly for me:

http://teamcoco.com/video/louis-ck-springsteen-cell-phone

Edited by caligari at 23:57:01 21-09-2013
  • Maturin 21 Sep 2013 11:42:27 2,889 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have an app on my Android phone that switches Wifi off automatically when I leave the house. It's made a big difference to battery life.

Also since I have a tablet I tend not to use my phone so much as a mini computer. I can probably get two days on a charge - if I didn't live in the country where the signal is weak it would probably last longer.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Sep 2013 22:23:43 3,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am ashamed to admit that I have a smartphone.

It's a Sony though, which should raise my popularity on this site.
  • Stranded87 22 Sep 2013 09:48:58 850 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Bought today simple phone with buttons. Still can't figure out why the hell do I need mobile internet while driving from work to home and where to buy pants with giant pockets to accept all those 5" smartphones
    Some of us get the train or leave the house other than just to go to work and I've never come across a pair of men's trousers that couldn't fit a 5 inch phone in the pocket. Women's sure but that's what handbags are for.
  • Spectral 22 Sep 2013 09:56:16 4,969 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I asked in the hardware thread but it seems somewhat dead in there atm so I'll ask here too. Can anyone recommend a cheap smartphone that doesn't completely suck at holding a signal? I got given an old HTC wildfire and the signal is constantly dropping, other phones(not tried other smartphones) hold a signal on the same network fine. Only after a budget model, somewhere in the region of 100-150 and preferably android. Priority is signal strength and reliability, app wise about the most demanding things I'd need to run are audible and skype.

Edit: If anyone has an old handset for sale I could be intereted too. I wish a non smartphone was an option but I'm likely going be be spending some time in hospital and having no internet would kill me.

Edited by Spectral at 09:58:43 22-09-2013

Edited by Spectral at 09:59:41 22-09-2013
  • Deleted user 22 September 2013 10:42:04
    Stranded87 wrote:
    moron wrote:
    Bought today simple phone with buttons. Still can't figure out why the hell do I need mobile internet while driving from work to home and where to buy pants with giant pockets to accept all those 5" smartphones
    Some of us get the train or leave the house other than just to go to work and I've never come across a pair of men's trousers that couldn't fit a 5 inch phone in the pocket. Women's sure but that's what handbags are for.
    He's not used to having anything bigger than 3 inches inside his pants.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2013 11:48:11
    I have unlimited data so just have my wifi always turned off. Fucking liberating not having to worry about finding a wifi signal or using up my allowance. Everything from Netflix, spotify, general browsing is done on 3G on my phone and now that I've moved into a new flat everything else on my laptop is done through tethering.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2013 12:22:37
    @i_hadacheeseburger IIRC it's called GreenPower
  • PenguinJim 22 Sep 2013 13:12:31 5,754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @moron No problems here with the 5.5" Note 2. In one pair of shorts I have to make sure it's in my pocket 'landscape'-style, the rest of my leg-coverings are happy with portrait.

I'm not Captain Fashion, though. Are skinny jeans making a comeback?
  • Salaman 23 Sep 2013 08:50:07 18,861 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm. I remember on vacation in 1994 or 1995, seeing a guy on the beach with a mobile phone.
    I thought he looked like an utter twat and it seemed utterly pointless. This was the mid 90s.
    Everyone had a landline. Mobiles were getting smaller (the Nokia bricks) but were still pricey and calling on a mobile was proper expensive.
    So it seemed like a nice idea for important people that needed to be reachable. CEOs of a big company. This guy on the beach seemed to have one "just because". To be seen with one.

I didn't bother with mobiles for the longest time until they gave me one from work in 2003 or so.
    Nowadays, the notion that only someone like a CEO would need a mobile phone seems ridiculous.

I was similarly unbothered by smartphones until I had to sign up for my first ever mobile contract a few years ago. You got a phone for 1 euro included on the contact. I picked the priciest one available. A 400 Samsung Wave.
    Nice to use, kind of handy to be able to check email or read EG on the go but nothing overly amazing and something I could easy go without. So far I'm with you all that smartphones are silly and I'd be happy with something that works well as a phone and lasts a week on one charge.

Then a few months ago I bought a 4.7" Google Nexus 4. It's life changing.
    Everything I use daily, gmail, google calendar, photos, documents on google drive at my fingertips. All the time. Big enough screen to comfortably surf the web.
    It's been such a good experience. I'd rather not go back to a classic mobile phone.
    My alarm stopped working 3 weeks ago, so now I use the phone as an alarm as well. It's charging overnight. I'm not really bothered that the battery is drained in about 20 hours. Love this phone.
    So since this last phone, consider me converted. And all of you with your "my phone is use to make phonecalls and lasts for a week" are not wrong that a smartphone may seem silly. Once you use a good one though you'll soon be converted as well.

Edited by Salaman at 09:54:51 23-09-2013
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 09:37:37
    Batteries will get better. It will just take time. As for the smartphones for "stupid" people.

I don't think they are. They're small devices with the prime goal of being easy to use for phoning/texting. Everything else is just added features.
  • warlockuk 23 Sep 2013 09:38:52 19,133 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Living up to the name?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Salaman 23 Sep 2013 09:54:30 18,861 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    Batteries will get better. It will just take time. As for the smartphones for "stupid" people.

I don't think they are. They're small devices with the prime goal of being easy to use for phoning/texting. Everything else is just added features.
    For me it's more used for other stuff and texting + the occasional phone call.
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 09:57:42
    Yes. They are now. But I mean when designing a smartphone, it's always been about ease of use. It's something to pick up and use, then turn off within' seconds.
  • kalel 23 Sep 2013 10:11:25 86,328 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SG59 wrote:

I can't agree with this. If that was their prime goal then they wouldn't make such significant sacrifices to things like battery life or even call quality to be able to include "added features".

The nature of smartphones is to be a jack of all trades and master of none. That really is their "prime goal", or in other words, there is no prime goal. They are whatever you want them to be - internet device, games device, music player etc etc. They don't excel at anything - not even making phone calls - but they are adequate at many many things, and that's their benefit.
  • Load_2.0 23 Sep 2013 10:17:46 18,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lumia 720, best battery life I have had on a phone for years.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next