Smartphones - for 'stupid' people?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • caligari 22 Oct 2012 19:06:40 17,061 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Err - I've just realised that the title sounds more like a 'request'.

Anyway, how many of you use smartphones? I'm guessing all of you, right?

So far I've owned a Sony Xperia Play and an Huawei Ascend - okay, not exactly the best phones on the market, but pretty decent phones in the 100 - 150 price range.

The battery life on these things is absolutely appalling - I think I used to squeeze more life from a Sega Game Gear. A couple of phone calls and a quick browse on the Internet and I'm having to reattach it to a plug. That's not exactly a 'mobile' phone is it? Hah - I like what I did there.

I've ended up selling them on and going back to my trusty old clamshell Ericsson - it has none of the bells and whistles of these smartphones, but sheesh, at least it'll last me pretty much the whole week on one charge, and doesn't feel like it's going to get crushed in my rucksack (yes, I'm a grown man and I still use a rucksack - what of it?).

I've owned two in my life, and haven't bothered to hang on to either of them. Apart from allowing me to play World of Goo and Another World on the move, can someone explain what I'm missing here?
  • prawnking1980 22 Oct 2012 19:13:25 4,623 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am kind of with you, I used to have a SE, and could go away for the weekend without having to take a charger. Previous iPhone and HTC had dreadful battery life, would need a charger by lunchtime during the day, Galaxy SIII touch wood lasts a day or more.

For me though a smart phone is great because of it allows internet access on the go, which my SE didn't, ability to view FB, Twitter, G+ or whatever gets your toes up.

Just the convenience of having a computer in the pocket more than anything is what does it for me, but yes that does come at the cost of battery life in the main.
  • prawnking1980 22 Oct 2012 19:14:29 4,623 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am not one for texting or making phone calls, so for me the phone aspects are more an add on rather than a selling point.
  • Moot_Point 22 Oct 2012 19:18:14 4,163 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All i have is an old C1. But i have an iPod touch that lets me have that "mobile computer device" cheeky_prawnking mentioned. It may seem like too many devices, but like you pointed out, i never have to constantly charge them.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• prawnking1980 22 Oct 2012 19:23:20 4,623 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have an ipod touch too, which is just for music, which I guess is a waste of its capabilities.
  • oceanmotion 22 Oct 2012 19:24:10 15,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, battery life sucks on smartphones but nice to have the internet in a decent capacity and email on the go. More music is also a plus point.

I still love my old Sony Ericsson which lasts for ages and has a great light on the back, SOS setting as well :D I still use it quite often. Just too solid after so many years, can't let that go.

• Moot_Point 22 Oct 2012 19:26:06 4,163 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    I have an ipod touch too, which is just for music, which I guess is a waste of its capabilities.
    Nah, its just a very flexible device. I have tonnes of music, games and books on it. Bloody iStore! :D

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• oceanmotion 22 Oct 2012 19:33:13 15,970 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wifi sucks phones dry so I am told. Not sure about 3G but probably similar. I turn off practically everything unless I need it, GPS and all that stuff. Don't know how much it saves but I never use it to be honest. I find most things on smartphones are pretty pointless unless you set out to use a particular feature so might as well be switched off. Internet, email, music, maps are the best things about them. Games have never grabbed me on mobile devices so not a drain on my phone.

Edited by oceanmotion at 19:34:21 22-10-2012
  • Deleted user 22 October 2012 19:34:11
    Moot and Cheeky kind of said this, but I really think we're now calling devices 'computer' and 'phone' where those terms don't properly fit anymore? On my 'phone' the phone and SMS icons aren't even in the dock anymore, I use other apps much more, so swapped them out.

Computer is an especially odd one when you think about it, seems to me it's like calling a car 'internal combustion engine'. You're describing the internal process which is far removed from what people use it for now.
  • prawnking1980 22 Oct 2012 19:34:38 4,623 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I turn off auto sync as well, if I want to look at something I will have a look.
  • monkehhh 22 Oct 2012 19:37:50 3,357 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My 'phone' is my 2nd computer, which has the ability to contact taxis and takeaways by voice when necessary. The battery on my old budget Android phone was terrible, but turning off data helped. The battery on my Note 2 is much better, but that's probably because the battery is as big as some phones.
  • sport 22 Oct 2012 19:43:01 12,758 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iphone
  • Steve_Perry 22 Oct 2012 19:46:36 4,332 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My HTC one s battery is really good. you just have to learn to economise with smartphones. Turn stuff off, keep your screen contrast down and you should be good for the day.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• SpaceDave3000 22 Oct 2012 20:08:22 78,266 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I get a whole extra week out of my lumia 900 if I set it to airplane mode.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• prawnking1980 22 Oct 2012 20:11:35 4,623 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I get that with my old iPhone 3g, amazing.
  • superdelphinus 22 Oct 2012 20:16:06 8,074 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i'm kind of at the same point and have come pretty much full circle with the whole thing. I have an iPhone at the moment and am on the verge of ordering a lumia 920 when they come out, but it's just gadget fetishising as much as anything else. I don't actually use my iphone for anything other than speaking to people now, which it doesn't do particularly well all things considered. usually i'm moving when i've got a mobile on me, so the 2nd computer thing is pointless.

having said that, the maps app has saved my bacon on more than one occasion
  • shamblemonkee 22 Oct 2012 20:27:49 14,435 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I use mine mostly as mobile net and music library. sometimes forget it's a phone too :p
  • heyyo 22 Oct 2012 20:42:06 14,373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Nah, its just a very flexible device. I have tonnes of music, games and books on it. Bloody iStore! :D
    My ipod touch doesn't have single song on there! It's used exclusively to watch youtube videos in bed before I doze off.

Made much better use out of it when I bought it 3.5 years ago, but once I bought an android a year or so back the ipod became redunant.
  • Carlo 22 Oct 2012 20:44:33 18,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I almost went full circle this time as was looking for a 'dumb' phone that was small/tiny, and dumb, but had wifi and bluetooth v4 tethering.

I'd basically just use it for phone calls then use the BT v4 tethering (which is supposed to be very power efficient) to connect my Nexus 7 tablet to the internet via it for all the other activities I use on the move (surfing, music, games, email, etc.).

I'd also use the tethering for my kindle on the odd occasion.

I bought a Samsung Note II in the end instead. Battery life is massive on it.

PSN ID: Djini

• smoothpete 22 Oct 2012 20:59:25 31,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The sheer size of smartphones blows my mind. Just based on size, I would have laughed at them 8 years ago, now I find it absurd. And battery life. What, maybe a day? 2 days at best? No thanks. I will have a normal small phone if it's all the same.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Oct 2012 21:05:19 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @caligari See it depends what you want to do with it. For me I wouldn't have anything other than a smartphone now because I always have it with me to pick up emails, Facebook and Twitter messages. In many ways it's replaced my PC.

Sure the battery life is rubbish, but I'm rarely far from a plug or usb to charge it. Besides, when you leave it just on standby with wifi and push notifications off like you would a 'phone' it still lasts well over 48 hours. The battery life only drains in under a day if you use it for things that you would never do on 'just a phone'.

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 21:06:36 22-10-2012
  • smoothpete 22 Oct 2012 21:08:05 31,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is 2 days considered good? I get 2 weeks out of my normal phone
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Oct 2012 21:10:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @smoothpete Not especially, but I didn't buy a smartphone so I could go days without charging it. I bought it to use all of the many useful features.

However I'm just countering the point that a smartphne 'can't last a day'. If you only use it as a basic phone on standby then of course it will.*

*In my experience

Edited by RobTheBuilder at 21:11:25 22-10-2012
  • heyyo 22 Oct 2012 21:15:17 14,373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Google maps/GPS/internet browsing for when you get lost, not having to use a silly phonepad for texting and touch user friendly calendar/calc/timer/convertor apps are the reasons smartphones > normal phones - even if the battery does only last 2 days.
  • smoothpete 22 Oct 2012 21:16:16 31,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Honestly I think selling phones for a living (admittedly years ago) has just put me off techy phones for life. I remember when we got the first stocks of 8310s, people were coming in and paying 300 cash for just the phone! Mugs, it was a piece of shit. So consequently my phone buying decisions have been more or less:
    1) decent battery life?
    2) will it break if I drop it?
    3) if i put it flat on a table and spin it, does it spin well?
  • superdelphinus 22 Oct 2012 21:33:15 8,074 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    which is the best phone for number 3?
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Oct 2012 21:35:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @smoothpete Before smartphones my considerations were:

1) Can I use multiple/polyphonic/download/mp3's for ringtones (delete depending on year)

2) If it is a clamshell does it make a satisfying click sound when I close it? (The Sharp GX30 was brilliant for this)

3) Same as yours
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2012 21:36:38 60,143 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A smartphone has taken the place of at least three devices for me. If im somewhere with wifi, I can even administrate networks, servers and perform remote support on it.

Yeah, the downside is that, yeah, if I go 24 hours without charging it im doing well but if I use my s3 old skool style the talk and standby time are actually longer than something like a 3210.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• White_Shadow 22 Oct 2012 21:46:19 2,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There aren't many situations where I'm not in a position to charge my phone overnight, so battery life beyond one day isn't really necessary. Most days I'm up at 6 and by 10/11pm I'm down to between 15-40% on my S3 depending on internet use, and that's with everything turned on, using it as a music player etc.

I don't really see the issue with having to charge overnight, especially given the benefits I get out of a smartphone.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous