Football Manager 2013 Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 28 Nov 2012 09:38:17 4,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What tactics are people using? I started off with a 4-5-1 that a guy posted on the SI forum but the new patch seems to have nerfed it so I'm trying to create my own.

Tried a flat 4-4-2 but without much success, then late last night I went with a 4-1-2-2-1 which was super effective. Rigid, counter attacking, direct passing. Scored 11 goals in the four games in which I used it, with my lone striker scoring back to back hattricks and averaging 8.46.

Going to give it some more testing tonight but it seems like a promising start.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• graysonavich 28 Nov 2012 19:50:53 7,351 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fiddled around and got a 4-2-3-1 winning, working it around the AMC with fluid attacking play.

Taking a bit of a break this week but I'm going to give it a proper test at the weekend.
  • Gruff 28 Nov 2012 20:22:49 2,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have played a 4-5-1 for years (the rest of the world stole it from me):)

I am more of a Lower League manager, going with zero creative freedom apart from one or two players, a deep lying single forward and roaming for your wingers seems to work well at that level.

Not sure how it works in the Prem, I'll tell you when I get there in 2030!!!

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Physically_Insane 10 Dec 2012 00:32:12 8,845 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLEEEEEE!!!1!!! You could have the best team in the world and play the worst team in the world, and if you had really bad morale, you will NEVER win that game. NEVER.

Fuck this game. I'm done.
  • Futaba 10 Dec 2012 01:27:53 3,511 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Was bound to happen eventually: first club to appoint an unknown manager based on FM skillz.

Keep sending those CVs in.
    Fucking lol. The best thing is he isn't doing too badly right now, he's pulled them out of the relegation zone :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_FK_Baku_season)

Edited by Futaba at 01:29:43 10-12-2012

Edited by Futaba at 01:29:59 10-12-2012

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• THFourteen 4 Jan 2013 18:45:05 33,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woot \o/

First season of FM Classic completed, finished top of the BSP with Cambridge. A few cheeky loan signings and one or two frees was all it took. Played a 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 dependent on situation.

Thought i'd blown it when I amassed a 14 point lead only to lose 5 out of 7 games, and then after winning the 8th, lost the next one to Luton at home, who were in second place, leaving them 3 points behind with 3 games to go.

Luckily won my next game and they lost, then in the penultimate game, scored a last minute equaliser.

Went mental!

now the only issues are, cant afford to renew anyones contract, so losing most of my squad in the summer it would seem :-(
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2013 21:32:31 20,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did you edit Arsenal into the BSP?
  • THFourteen 4 Jan 2013 21:37:26 33,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glol. No.

Worst fears are realised, I didn't get a wage budget increase, and half my team left.

Might have to reload a save.
  • RichieTenenbaum 4 Jan 2013 21:46:14 2,209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SO YOU MADE ME BUY THIS NOW
  • elephantjuice 4 Jan 2013 21:54:47 669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @THFourteen

What are your overall thoughts on classic mode? I haven't really heard much in the way of impressions about it but from what little I have heard it sounds promising, I'm just afraid it's a little too lightweight a la iOS + android FMs.
  • THFourteen 4 Jan 2013 22:18:04 33,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok so the last couple of FMs I've bought had too many bits that annoyed me, especially the media interaction and player interaction and team talks. I always felt they were totally random, and made little sense to me.

I know could leave it all to the assistant manager but that annoyed me too, so I prefer not having it at all.

However there are a few things missing, for example being able to set detailed training schedules and position training, some tactical stats and so on.

It's the quickest I've finished a season in a long time, but essentially yes it is very ios with the pc match engine. Buy and sell, pick your team, pick your tactics, play games. That's pretty much it.
  • elephantjuice 4 Jan 2013 23:03:03 669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll inevitably end up picking it up at some point. My problem with the latest FMs is you can sink so much time into tinkering with all the various aspects of the game but when things start going wrong there's so many variables it makes it difficult to know what to change.
  • superdelphinus 5 Jan 2013 01:01:49 8,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    aghggfg first crash to desktop tonight. Luckily only lost one game's worth I think, a game I won 4-0 to go 2nd in the bsp. Only sadness is that it was my new striker's debut match and he scored a hatrick:(

Really loving this year's game though

Edited by superdelphinus at 01:02:17 05-01-2013
  • superdelphinus 5 Jan 2013 01:22:53 8,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elephantjuice I start off recruiting a decent assistant manager (getting better staff is such an important thing in the lower leagues) and put a lot of the stuff on auto. Then gradually take more control as I understand what affects what.
  • superdelphinus 5 Jan 2013 01:23:05 8,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • superdelphinus 5 Jan 2013 01:23:19 8,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • El_MUERkO 5 Jan 2013 01:35:05 17,028 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The new match engine needs some serious polish, so many AI issues it's not even a little funny, the SI forums are awash with rage, supposedly a hotfix due this month.

Well worth reading the official forums to know what is and is not a bug, may calm people who are pissed at some of the oddness.
  • THFourteen 5 Jan 2013 08:15:32 33,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I scored a goal yesterday where my AM back heeled it into the box for my poacher.

It was so amazing I watched it five times :-)
  • superdelphinus 5 Jan 2013 09:51:53 8,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weirdly when I played the demo the match engine was terrible, it looked like an AI level akin to one of those old Amstrad management games. I got '12 as a result of that instead where it all seems fine. However about 3 days later '13 was half price on steam so I bought that and it seems fine on that
  • THFourteen 5 Jan 2013 10:20:24 33,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the only part of the match engine that really bothers me is the collision detection, where your defenders are standing right in the way of the ball but the attackers just waltz straight through.

I mean its not a big deal obviosuly but its annoying.
  • frugtkompot 6 Jan 2013 13:20:33 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am also well and truly back in the Football Manager fold after the introduction of Classic mode. After being sacked once at Wolfsburg and twice at Monaco without reaching the end of the first season, it looks like my luck is starting to turn at Betis, where I've just completed my first season with a 10th spot.

In my opinion the only comparison between iOS and Classic is that both can be played quickly. Other than there iOS is a barebones, sterile experience, whereas Classic is full-fledged in the same way that I remember the old Championship Manager games.
  • THFourteen 6 Jan 2013 13:39:16 33,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read through this today and it was really worthwhile.

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/

Suddenly I understand why some of my tactics are not working and what exactly some of the options mean (eg if my wide midfielder is set to "Attack" he tries for the byline, but if he is "Support" he crosses in front of the fullback). Enlightening!

My big wages signing Big Dave Kitson has 2 goals in 2 games at the start of the new npower league 2 season :-D
  • elephantjuice 6 Jan 2013 14:58:18 669 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @frugtkompot

Excellent, thanks, sounds very encouraging. I'll definitely take the plunge at some point.
  • graysonavich 6 Jan 2013 14:59:36 7,351 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A shocking amount of people playing Classic mode ! /o\
  • graysonavich 15 Jan 2013 09:55:30 7,351 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally found some tactics that work for me. Coupled with starting to slow down and actually pay attention to player/team morale it's all starting to come together this year, finally.

Early doors but I'm currently 12/0/0 in the league and including friendlies & Euro Cup games the new system is 20 games unbeaten (only 2 draws).

Still, the main reason for my post, 3 or 4 patches later...disallowed goals! *Every* game, often more than once.

I also had an amazing Bale dive-in-the-box™ for a penalty. Was a hilarious little animation, never seen it before and totally unexpected.
  • THFourteen 15 Jan 2013 10:43:15 33,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished my second season, Npower league 2. Started off a bit of a disaster, tactics all over the place and losing and winning random games.

Finished off with a 4-1-3-2 formation which proved very solid, although i didnt score enough goals - however most games i was getting 20 shots off and not scoring, so i put that down to Dave Kitson getting old, and my loan signings Scott Garner and Lovenkrands getting long term injuries. January loan signing Garner had 4 goals in 3 games before he got injured for the rest of the season.

Ended up a good 12th, only about 6 points off the playoffs which i'm sure i would have made if i had a decent striker. The board were pleased as i was predicted to struggle against relegation, however the fans were dissapointed with the departure of Adriano Moke (who my assistant manager rated as "turd")

My on loan 17yr old striker scored 20 goals for ebbsfleet this season so i'm looking forward to getting him back, otherwise i'm having the usual clear out and trying to pick up a few frees - my wage budget is up to 21k from 15.5k this year so i've got wiggle room \o/

want to go home now :-(
  • neilqpr 15 Jan 2013 12:49:59 2,849 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First time in years that FM has got it's hooks into me, I love classic (n00b) mode. I just want to scout and buy players, have basic input in training and play around with tactics.

Second season in with Hayes & Yeading. Scaby fucks expect me to win the league with no cash, had to rebuild nearly from scratch in the close season.
  • vijay_UK 17 Jan 2013 20:55:29 2,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I read through this today and it was really worthwhile.

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/

Thanks for the link. Might be the first bit of reading for me since I read the StarCraft 2 manual. :\
  • graysonavich 21 Jan 2013 19:35:53 7,351 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus what have happened to all the good wingers in the game?

I can't find a decent "classic MR" for love nor money. They all seem to be bloody "AMRs" now.
  • faux_carnation 21 Jan 2013 19:43:28 9,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Jesus what have happened to all the good wingers in the game?

I can't find a decent "classic MR" for love nor money. They all seem to be bloody "AMRs" now.
    Jeez, for the last few years I've totally spurned any midfielders that aren't either DM or AM. Get with the times, man!
  • Page

of 9 First / Last