The iPad Mini Page 19

  • Page

    of 23 First / Last

  • colinmac 10 Aug 2013 18:12:22 736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought a mini after having a nexus7 for a while and loving it.

    The screen is noticeably better rez-wise on the N7, but I still find myself using the mini much more - the wider screen lends itself to surfing and web pages much better I find, despite the lower resolution.

    It's interesting because the new Nexus is even narrower - and hence less attractive to me - if you use it in landscape mode (which I do a lot) then by the time there's buttons (software ones) at the bottom and perhaps a keyboard onscreen - there's not much browser real estate left.

    Both great tablets, but a retina mini, even if they change nothing else, would be a absolute day 1 purchase for me.

    I've never regretted buying mine though - its awesome. So light too, compared to the N7.

    Live: Colinmac
    PSN: Colinmac
    3DS: 0946-2363-3364

  • mrpon 10 Aug 2013 18:15:37 29,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard Apple are concerned a retina mini would eat into the iPad 5 market. A fair point I guess, so it could be post iPad 5 before we see one.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • Flying_Pig 10 Aug 2013 18:19:41 11,474 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can get a mini for 8 a month from work. Very tempted, but I don't need one...
  • THFourteen 10 Aug 2013 18:27:03 34,452 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @joelstinton I've probably owned about four different iPads, and the mini for me is hands down the best of the lot.

    It depends what you intend to do with it, but mine goes everywhere with me as its small enough to carry around, and you don't feel like quite such a twat when you pull it out on a train. It's also perfect size for reading kindle books and playing games, not so small like a phone, but not so heavy like a full sized ipad that you start to get wrist ache after half an hour.

    It's a shame that its a budget tablet with a poor screen and a slow processor without enough RAM. I'd be tempted by the nexus 7 2 but I think the selection of games on iOS is far far better and that seals it for me.
  • Deleted user 10 August 2013 18:28:28
    colinmac wrote:

    It's interesting because the new Nexus is even narrower - and hence less attractive to me - if you use it in landscape mode (which I do a lot) then by the time there's buttons (software ones) at the bottom and perhaps a keyboard onscreen - there's not much browser real estate left.

    .

    Thats the one thing that really put me off the New N7, its ridcolously narrow.
  • Deleted user 10 August 2013 18:32:30
    THFourteen wrote:
    @joelstinton I've probably owned about four different iPads, and the mini for me is hands down the best of the lot.

    It depends what you intend to do with it, but mine goes everywhere with me as its small enough to carry around, and you don't feel like quite such a twat when you pull it out on a train. It's also perfect size for reading kindle books and playing games, not so small like a phone, but not so heavy like a full sized ipad that you start to get wrist ache after half an hour.

    It's a shame that its a budget tablet with a poor screen and a slow processor without enough RAM. I'd be tempted by the nexus 7 2 but I think the selection of games on iOS is far far better and that seals it for me.
    Thanks for the impressions. This seems to be pretty much the view i have read around the web. To be honest if i had one now the low res screen wouldn't bother me that much. i think.

    I pretty much just want it as a browsing tablet, but general use everywhere. I don't want it really for media like music, but just for it apps, and interent browsing, and get used to tablets as i never had one. But want something that is easy to use and a lot of fun whilst doing so.
  • THFourteen 10 Aug 2013 18:45:10 34,452 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you tried one out at all? I must say for browsing, I find that I needed to download another browser which increases the font size. Safari was fine in landscape but in portrait I found the text too small for me at the low resolution.

    Not everyone does though, my missus uses safari no bother.
  • mrpon 10 Aug 2013 18:48:06 29,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Conversely, if you're anal about the resolution the mini will annoy when compared to the iPad 3 or 4. I have the 2,3 and mini in my household and going back to a non-retina screen just highlights how good the retina versions are, especially for reading.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • Deleted user 10 August 2013 22:28:31
    I'm pretty much almost sold on one, but amazon only have Fufilled by amazon orders, and a bit wary of using that to buy such an item? They don't have there amazon as an alternative either.

    Had a look on the apple uk store and delivery dates are next week. Which is just silly
  • dominalien 10 Aug 2013 22:36:51 7,065 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surprisingly, I have no issue with the mini's resolution at all.

    All I have to compare it to is an iPhone 4, though. I don't have a retina iPad.

    A retina mini would be rad, that's for sure.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • dominalien 10 Aug 2013 22:38:39 7,065 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    @joelstinton I've probably owned about four different iPads, and the mini for me is hands down the best of the lot.

    It depends what you intend to do with it, but mine goes everywhere with me as its small enough to carry around, and you don't feel like quite such a twat when you pull it out on a train. It's also perfect size for reading kindle books and playing games, not so small like a phone, but not so heavy like a full sized ipad that you start to get wrist ache after half an hour.

    It's a shame that its a budget tablet with a poor screen and a slow processor without enough RAM. I'd be tempted by the nexus 7 2 but I think the selection of games on iOS is far far better and that seals it for me.
    Thanks for the impressions. This seems to be pretty much the view i have read around the web. To be honest if i had one now the low res screen wouldn't bother me that much. i think.

    I pretty much just want it as a browsing tablet, but general use everywhere. I don't want it really for media like music, but just for it apps, and interent browsing, and get used to tablets as i never had one. But want something that is easy to use and a lot of fun whilst doing so.
    All this. I can't imagine getting a full-sized iPad after having used the mini for the past 6 months. I don't even mind the CPU and memory too much, it's just so convenient.

    Edited by dominalien at 22:38:58 10-08-2013

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Deleted user 10 August 2013 23:37:22
    mrpon wrote:
    I've heard Apple are concerned a retina mini would eat into the iPad 5 market. A fair point I guess, so it could be post iPad 5 before we see one.
    Apple aren't at all concerned about that. If they don't eat into their own market then someone else will step in.

    If there's no retina mini then it'll be for a hardware reason, including things like manufacturing issues and battery life.
  • dominalien 10 Aug 2013 23:45:10 7,065 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think Apple see it that way. As far as they're concerned, there is only the Apple market, and they own all share in it. Having used Android tablets... I'm inclined to agree.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • spindizzy 11 Aug 2013 06:25:00 6,608 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sure @Aargh. is right - Apple have not been shy in the past of introducing products in the past which cannibalise sales... look at the various overlapping iPods, hell, look at the iPad mini itself! People said they'd never introduce one as it'd take sales away from the normal iPad.

    Fundamentally I never get this cannibalisation argument though- if Apple still get the sale, they still make money. Why does it matter which specific product is bought? And if it stops a customer going to a competitor...?

    No, if there's no retina mini this year, it'll be because Apple aren't happy that the product is good enough, probably for hardware related reasons.

    (But when they do make an iPad mini, I'll be first in line to get one!)
  • mrpon 11 Aug 2013 09:32:06 29,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Aargh. don't shoot the messenger etc.. and yes "industry sources" :)

    http://bgr.com/2013/07/24/ipad-mini-2-release-date-delay-2014/

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • CharlieStCloud 11 Aug 2013 10:10:02 5,510 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I myself think the iPad mini is really not very good.

    Thin, light and portable, yes ... but that screen is not only incredibly washed out, dull and cool (colours wise), the resolution makes the text on Safari looks awful to the point of having to resort to a third party internet browser to sort the fonts out.

    Using a proper iPad highlights how startling average the mini really is, and I do not think the iPad is that heavy or clumbersome anyway.

    I prefer (and am admittedly stuck with) the iOS ecosystem because of their App Store and iTunes however, I would rather use the Nexus 7, if only for not being a sight for sore eyes.
  • Deleted user 11 August 2013 11:46:17
    Mac rumours seem pretty certain a mini Retina is coming fairly soon, as is possibly an ipad maxi, which appeals to me more.
  • Moot_Point 11 Aug 2013 12:05:52 4,594 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love my iPad mini, I sometimes wonder what I'd do without it. I think the retina would make it stupidly expensive for the small gain visually. Maybe that's why Apple aren't concerned as those online about it. /super shrug

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • CharlieStCloud 11 Aug 2013 15:30:01 5,510 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    ... but not so heavy like a full sized iPad that you start to get wrist ache after half an hour.
    : )

    Hey, don't you have your very own gym inside your garage?!

    Oh, I would love the iPad maxi rumours to be true however, almost every single thing has been leaked that Apple shall be releasing shortly that nothing, absolutely nothing, points out to this happening nor a Retina-esque iPad mini too.
  • Deleted user 11 August 2013 16:05:18
    Moot_Point wrote:
    I love my iPad mini, I sometimes wonder what I'd do without it. I think the retina would make it stupidly expensive for the small gain visually. Maybe that's why Apple aren't concerned as those online about it. /super shrug
    What gives you the impression Apple aren't concerned about it?
  • Deleted user 11 August 2013 16:30:59
    Heh, rumours are all over the place with the mini 2. I might as well wait, since the new kindle is getting a announcement soon as well.

    Edited by joelstinton at 16:31:23 11-08-2013
  • yegon 11 Aug 2013 22:36:20 5,412 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    the small gain visually
    To me, the difference is massive.

    That said, of equal importance re: the Mini 2 is more ram. The experience is vastly inferior to even the red headed step child iPad 3. Tabs and apps are flushed far sooner on the Mini, which can be quite irritating when you're doing something as simple as flipping between Safari, Mail and podcast playing. Still, for something I can shove in my pocket or stuff in my bag when I go to work, it's great.

    I'm seriously considering getting an iPad 5 this time around though, I want the fastest cpu/gpu/most ram combo, and I fear the next Mini will essentially be a shrunken iPad 3 in spec terms. Fine in the short term but my iPad 3, although not nearly the obsolete (some people really need a dictionary) p.o.s some people think it is, is beginning to creak a little, especially where more graphically intensive games are concerned.

    I wish they'd do an iPad Mini Pro - an even more exorbitantly priced Mini with identical specs as the full fat version, but I suspect economics and the laws of physics will prevent this happening ay time soon.

    Edited by yegon at 22:45:26 11-08-2013
  • TarickStonefire 12 Aug 2013 10:51:45 3,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    I wish they'd do an iPad Mini Pro - an even more exorbitantly priced Mini with identical specs as the full fat version, but I suspect economics and the laws of physics will prevent this happening ay time soon.
    Laws of physics insofar as it's physically impossible to get the retina screen plus the ram and the battery it requires to drive it into the frame of the Mini?

    Yep, to my mind that's really the only reason there isn't a more powerful Mini yet. I don't care what Boy Genius Reports thinks he's heard, the reason is the one given by everyone else in this thread ;)

    Probably.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • yegon 12 Aug 2013 12:55:31 5,412 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I think given that an iPhone is essentially an under clocked iPad, getting the cpu/gpu/ram in there isn't the problem, but that battery....

    Find it very hard to believe they'll release a new non-retina version though, and I don't subscribe to the six month upgrade idea of one in late 13, then q2 14. The six month cycle happpened once and for pretty obvious, well documented reasons - lightning, iPad 3 (which I own and love) wasn't truly ready and was a stopgap, q3/q4 release cycle for Xmas blah blah.
  • Lennoxcat 19 Aug 2013 11:18:21 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Gadget Panda pay more for iPad models than Music Magpie or RPC Recycle. In fact Music Magpie seems to pay less than most recyclers.
  • THFourteen 19 Aug 2013 11:19:49 34,452 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    I wish they'd do an iPad Mini Pro - an even more exorbitantly priced Mini with identical specs as the full fat version, but I suspect economics and the laws of physics will prevent this happening ay time soon.
    Laws of physics insofar as it's physically impossible to get the retina screen plus the ram and the battery it requires to drive it into the frame of the Mini?

    Yep, to my mind that's really the only reason there isn't a more powerful Mini yet. I don't care what Boy Genius Reports thinks he's heard, the reason is the one given by everyone else in this thread ;)

    Probably.
    That can't be right, the new galaxy nexus 7 has a 1080p screen already
  • yegon 19 Aug 2013 15:33:33 5,412 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    I wish they'd do an iPad Mini Pro - an even more exorbitantly priced Mini with identical specs as the full fat version, but I suspect economics and the laws of physics will prevent this happening ay time soon.
    Laws of physics insofar as it's physically impossible to get the retina screen plus the ram and the battery it requires to drive it into the frame of the Mini?

    Yep, to my mind that's really the only reason there isn't a more powerful Mini yet. I don't care what Boy Genius Reports thinks he's heard, the reason is the one given by everyone else in this thread ;)

    Probably.
    That can't be right, the new galaxy nexus 7 has a 1080p screen already
    True, but I think it'll be difficult to deliver ten hour battery life, 2048x1536 display in the exact size/weight form factor of the current mini. I mean, I'm sure it's possible, but given the lower price nature (in Apple terms) of the Mini, delivering those specs and retaining the same margins can't be an easy proposition.

    Edited by yegon at 15:34:34 19-08-2013
  • Moot_Point 15 Sep 2013 14:51:31 4,594 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Could someone point me in the right direction with a problem that has developed with my iPad mini. I have the latest OS, but recently an app crashed and has left my mini without sound. I have deleted the app, but the symptoms continue, iirc videos work ok. I am stuck as to what to do.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • mrpon 15 Sep 2013 14:59:20 29,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try tinkering with the Mute/Lock Rotation switch and set it to either Mute/Lock in the Settings - General - Use Side Switch section.

    Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

  • Moot_Point 15 Sep 2013 15:51:56 4,594 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks, but unfortunately that hasn't solved the problem. This has happened before, but it righted itself with the last OS update. I wasn't sure if there was a way to reset the mini.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • Page

    of 23 First / Last

Log in or register to reply