The iPad Mini Page 18

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 23 Feb 2013 12:30:32 3,242 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien What did they patch?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• dominalien 23 Feb 2013 13:33:07 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

Lots of stuff, apparently. Controls, certainly, as many people were complaining they were bad before and they're fine now, but I can't really say, because the game didn't work on iPad 1 before the patch. In any case, the list of changes is on the store page.

PSN: DonOsito

• JayG 23 Feb 2013 13:46:29 855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The main thing now with Baldur's Gate is most of the tactical issues with combat has been fixed. Before the patch it was next to impossible to know what anyone in your group was doing, they would just stand there watching as you died. Now it's pretty easy to assign commands. And before the patch even going upstairs was a struggle, no matter what you did you could never find the path outside, upstairs, or nearly anywhere where you had to gather your party. It was nearly unplayable at times. Now it's one of the Ipads best games, and I'm glad they got the issues fixed before releasing Baldur's Gate 2. Some spells still make the game crawl, like entangle, but they say they are doing a new engine to sort that out.

Now the thing frustrating me is trying to figure out who to bring. 3 new NPC's, favourites from BG2, and characters I can't remember from the 9 years ago when I last played it. If you are a fan of the original, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. If you are new, then the lack of explanation for spells and what's going on is pretty daunting. They tend to forget the original had a 200 page manual.
  • dominalien 23 Feb 2013 13:54:17 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, yes, I suppose the lack of manual and tooltips (were there tooltips in the PC game? I seem to remember at least a tooltip for current time over the pause button, which is definitely gone right now) can make the game completely impenetrable for someone who hasn't played it before or doesn't know ad&d 3rd edition rules (which, let's face it, are as ancient as the hills and generally make little sense nowadays). Especially as, since your character has about 8 hit points for the first 15 hours of the game, death is sudden, instantaneous and very frequent.

Edited by dominalien at 14:20:10 23-02-2013

• JayG 23 Feb 2013 14:01:09 855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is a help key that explains all the functions. And items are explained by simply holding down that key. But I'm still not sure how the spells are explained. Another thing the patch definitely improved is the inventory, before it it was so easy to use a potion instead of move it. Basic tips for beginners like mainly using ranged combat, etc, would probably help a lot.

It's still a great game, and I hope it does well enough that we start seeing more games like that.
  • mrpon 23 Feb 2013 14:17:51 29,201 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    2nd
    I love the weight of the 2nd compared to 3rd, however the 3rd has the fabulous retina screen which is great for reading magazines full page (for me). I believe the next iPad (5th gen) will combine the two, ie: slimness of the 2nd but still combining the retina of the 3rd/4th and could be my perfect iPad.

The mini iPad however throws a spanner in the works, even slimmer than the big iPad (2nd gen) and still the same resolution but slightly higher ppi because of the smaller form factor. It's lovely to hold but the resolution isn't retina which narks slightly in my experience and for things like magazine reading you have to zoom in. But then it's super light so does that offset it? Only you can decide this.

Also bear in mind there is suppose to be a retina version of the mini due in March so hang fire regardless.

This post was brought to you by the numbers: 1,2,3,4 & 5.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• dominalien 23 Feb 2013 14:21:14 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Also bear in mind there is suppose to be a retina version of the mini due in March so hang fire regardless.
    Seriously? They're going to replace the mini NEXT MONTH? Fuckers.

Edited by dominalien at 14:22:10 23-02-2013

• mrpon 23 Feb 2013 14:26:54 29,201 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rumour yeah.

• JayG 23 Feb 2013 14:51:02 855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought it was delayed? That's the one I was eyeing up for the mrs.
  • mrpon 23 Feb 2013 14:57:43 29,201 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rumour seems to be split on either bi-annual updates ie: spring time or annual updates in October.

• yegon 23 Feb 2013 19:02:02 5,335 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Mini before end of the year is incredibly unlikely for a number of reasons I can't be arsed repeating and are well documented elsewhere (mostly on technical grounds). The only things that point to it are last years 6 month cycle which, apparently, means Apple are ALWAYS on a 6 month cycle now (derp) and some rumblings in the supply chain/Digitimes/analysts, the latter two guilty of churning out an incorrect Apple rumour every, ooh, 3 minutes.

I have a Mini if you think that shades my opinion.....and I would LOVE them to release a March retina Mini, oh man oh man! I'm DEADLY serious, I'd LOVE a retina Mini sooner rather than later, sod the expense, and I'd love to be pointed and laughed at for being completely wrong. But alas, common sense points to q3/q4. My debit card purrs in readiness, current Mini is one of the best purchases I've ever made and is close to perfect in all but one very obvious respect.

Edited by yegon at 19:30:30 23-02-2013
  • THFourteen 2 Mar 2013 11:28:04 33,867 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Real Racing 3 is truly excellent, and I don't even like racing games.

Can't imagine how great it looks on a retina device!

Haven't paid for any IAP yet, I can see how it's annoying though.
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Mar 2013 17:36:19 7,232 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    October is the new "insider information" rumour for a retina mini apparently.
  • THFourteen 2 Mar 2013 18:46:29 33,867 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I shall be doing a yegon for sure.

Also noticing how the mini is a bit laggy changing apps and opening browsers. Can't wait for a decent SOC
  • mrpon 2 Mar 2013 19:06:46 29,201 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hope it isn't thicker/heavier.

• Benno 2 Mar 2013 19:11:35 10,043 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Hope it isn't thicker/heavier.
    Same
  • mrpon 2 Mar 2013 20:41:35 29,201 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's going to be though, more juice needed for the screen.

• THFourteen 2 Mar 2013 20:54:03 33,867 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5/leaked-images-ipad-mini-casing-suggest-retina-display-coming

roomers from last week.
  • yegon 2 Mar 2013 22:28:04 5,335 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I could live with it being a teeny bit thicker, but heavier, that'd be disappointing. Utterly spoilt by the feather lightness of the mini. I've said this before, but I also hope it's a better quality screen alongside the res bump. Mini is okay in isolation but colours are pretty drab next to a 3/4, iPhone or equivalent, and we've grumbled before how reflective the screen is.

Assuming the Mini equals or exceeds the 9.7" in sales at some point, I wonder if we'll ever see a Mini with the leading soc/ram (in iOS world) as opposed to being a gen behind the full? Sooner rather than later I'd hope. Surely the only limiting factor in the Mini compared with a full sized one is the battery - bring on the 10hr battery Mini's and 14 hr full please. I suppose selling price would be a problem - assuming identical specs, just different sizes, the general public equate bigger with more expensive but the reverse would probably be true in this case.

Edited by yegon at 22:29:01 02-03-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Mar 2013 09:10:01 5,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    See, I am the other way round ...

... the Nexus 7, which is a superb little device is, for me, too bulky whereas the weight - 340g (a shy over 30g heavier than the iPad mini) - is perfect; not too light and just the right heft to feel like it's a solid piece of hardware.

If the iPad mini becomes a little bit heavier, I'd truly be quite happy however, if they make it thicker, I would be disheartened.

More than anything, it isn't the resolution that lets the iPad mini down, it is the washed out colours and the clarity of the photos you view on the photos application or on the Internet; the Guardian photos app is a great example to see why the screen looks quite poor.

I really hope Apple doesn't go ahead and try to make the iPad mini as powerful as possible because the small, thin and light form-factor is the reason why the product was made in the first place.

The next new iPad should hopefully retain the very same stuff inside the current one (number 3 or 4?) and try to make the actual design similar to the iPad 2. That was the perfect blend of thinness and weight for me!
  • mumtoucher 3 Mar 2013 09:27:34 285 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel rather dirty for really enjoying real racing 3, not spent a penny and played it 100 times more than I played RR2. It is rather excellent tho, outside of the retarded payment model. Thing is though its working for me - as I said I've paid nothing and have never been made to wait for something to do. It is awesome on the mini too, as far as gaming goes apple did a great thing with the mini.
  • StixxUK 18 Mar 2013 07:26:01 7,264 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got one of these on Sat, well impressed. Never had a tablet before but my laptop is now redundant.

Clash of Heroes is brilliant as well!
  • mcmothercruncher 19 Mar 2013 18:13:28 7,232 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm the same, I've been able to park the MacBook upstairs, with my external monitor and sound card plugged in pretty much permanently and stop iocking about shifting it and the power supply all over the house.
    The ipad comes everywhere with me and any notes, bookmarks, emails etc I create are all there on both devices. I was really unsure pre purchase, but I'm so glad I took the plunge...

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 18:13:59 19-03-2013
  • Deleted user 7 August 2013 09:16:10
    There must be an error, where are the latest posts?
    Anyway, waiting for a new Mini with Retina and hopefully a faster CPU.

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 09:17:31 07-08-2013
  • BinaryBob101 7 Aug 2013 17:41:22 23,554 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No latest posts! The bright sparks all went for the new Nexus.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• CharlieStCloud 10 Aug 2013 13:12:04 5,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think a lot of people are going to be HUGELY disappointed come the unveiling of the next new iPad mini.

... why?

'Evidence of a lack of Retina Display comes from no reference to @2z. All existing Apple devices that use a Retina Display include @2x in their reference string. The new iPad mini models listed in iOS 7 do not, so we therefore shouldn’t expect the display resolution to increase.'

New iPad mini to use iPhone 5 processor, but no Retina display

: (
  • THFourteen 10 Aug 2013 13:19:37 33,867 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That IS disappointing. Especially with the new Nexus 7 rocking a 1080p display.

I may still upgrade tho. Definitely notice the mini being laggy and low on memory.

Would be annoyed if there was a retina mini in april mind.
  • Deleted user 10 August 2013 17:08:00
    So guys, when are we expecting news on the mini 2?

I want to get a tablet, to stop using my MBP'15 for general use really, and taking it with me everywhere. I want to relegate it to 'professional use' only.

After a bit of research on tabs, the mini seems ideal - suitable for browsing, and general stuff really. I was thinking about other tablets like the Nexus 7 , but.. yeah invested in the apple eco system and it looks, from videos quite sexy.

The only negatives really i have read is the resolution. Is that bad, or just nitpicking against Retina screens?

So mini 1 or wait?

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the above posts, had this page on a old tab, had to go out when i was first posting silly me.

Edited by joelstinton at 17:09:01 10-08-2013
  • altitude2k 10 Aug 2013 17:42:37 4,582 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My wife's birthday is at the end of October. Really hoping it's out before then - I don't want to have to get her a current gen one.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last