The iPad Mini Page 17

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 4 Jan 2013 09:30:36 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Any suggestions on how to prevent this? What are the best reading practices on these devices?
    A Kindle is what you should be using to read books (or walk into Waterstones and you know, buy a book!) ... but the iPad mini is not great for reading for long periods of time, hence the quite-rightly moaning at the resolution.

Think there is something out there to make the text on websites look bigger and a tiny little bit clearer; not sure where though, sorry.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Jan 2013 09:34:18 39,570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm only reading on it for about 2 hours a day.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• yegon 4 Jan 2013 10:31:42 5,416 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I think I've got a headache from reading on the Ipad mini this morning :(

Any suggestions on how to prevent this? What are the best reading practices on these devices?

White on black background or black on white? I was reading in sepia this morning but it didn't seem to make much difference going to white on black.

Might be dehydration though.
    http://marcos.kirsch.mx/2012/04/29/font-size-bookmarklets/

Increase font size in Safari temporarily (resets on refresh). It's only Safari where I find text a problem, in everything else you can default bigger (Mail, Kindle, Alien Blue, Reeder, Instapaper etc) so text looks fine, just not spectacular like on 3rd gen and beyond.

Where poss, I use the Reader function in Safari quite a bit on the mini.
  • mothercruncher 4 Jan 2013 10:43:22 7,880 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's basically because you're staring at a screen.
    That's mitigated slightly by the Retina stuff, but, essentially, you're staring at a light and getting the same old problems as with too much gaming or TV.

I'd suggest white text on black for a start, and then, especially if you're reading at night, turn down the brightness a fair bit.

I've got a Kindle (touch) and, yes, it's great for long periods- it really does look like you're reading off of paper, but I suspect it'll hardly get used now I've loaded the Kindle app on the ipad. The reading bit is second to none (in daylight) but the OS feels so incredibly clunky and slow, it drives me nuts now.
  • THFourteen 4 Jan 2013 11:07:01 34,483 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't really used it much for reading books, but reading comics on it hasn't given me any headaches.

I did get headaches from safari, but I changed to a different browser which allows you to set the default font size bigger, to make it useable. Also browse in landscape mode.

Must admit, having had mine for a month or so, I am really getting a lot of use out of it. I almost don't need a phone anymore.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Jan 2013 11:27:47 39,570 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I've only really started to notice over the past 2 days that it's giving me a headache when reading on the kindle app.

I use white on black most of the time but it's probably telling that yesterday I used sepia for a change and got a headache. Today I switched back to white on black and I was just feeling a little tired. I increased the font size as well.

I agree with THfourteen though, I can see me doing without my GS3 with this. I obviously need the phone for tethering but that could be some cheapo Nokia :)

I'll still be getting a Lumia though :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• yegon 4 Jan 2013 12:04:03 5,416 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, my phone battery life rarely hits 50% in a day these days. Prior to the mini, I'd often have to top it up.
  • mothercruncher 4 Jan 2013 16:08:21 7,880 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing I'm fidning frustrating- I don't know if I'm missing a trick. The keyboard is all uppercase. Um, even when I'm typing in lowercase. The only indication that you're about to type a capital letter is the highlighted shift key.
    Why no upper and lowercase letters? It seems so basic.

And, I love the split keyboard feature- feels really quick to type on. But it seems to get in the way all the time given that it's set to float midway on the screen... often it obscuring the box I'm trying to type into which is poop. Is there no way to split it and have it docked at the bottom?
  • yegon 4 Jan 2013 18:21:24 5,416 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just pull the keyboard apart with your thumbs while its at the bottom of the screen, it'll stay there.

Re: always uppercase, no option to change it I'm afraid. What do you think this is, android?!

As for text size, I've been giving Mercury browser a go as it saves the font size you use on a site. I kinda miss the Safari icloud stuff, but browsing is better on the mini when you don't have to increase size after every refresh.
  • StixxUK 7 Jan 2013 10:33:56 7,293 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why the hell are these 269 from Apple and 310 from Amazon? Mental!
  • THFourteen 7 Jan 2013 10:35:00 34,483 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    btw cheers for the tip on Mercury browser yegon, its free (or at least i'm on the free version) and it looks a lot less fugly than perfect browser, but seems just as functional.

safari is still the fastest IMO.
  • yegon 7 Jan 2013 17:49:43 5,416 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ideally Safari would have the option for larger text, but don't you get the feeling Apple's pettiness/arrogance means it'll never happen as it'd be an admission that text at that res/physical size isn't ideal?

Kind of like the lack of wifi/bluetooth toggles. It's understandable in the sense there's no widgets officially, but there's the suggestion Apple are never likely to offer the facility (even if iOS7 brought widgets) as they want to promote idevices as things which require minimal access or fiddling with settings. In theory, NFC or similar could bring automated settings changes like already exist on certain Android phones. In the meantime, why the fuck we can't have toggles in Notification Centre is beyond me. NCSettings, via jailbreak, was simple and elegant at doing just that. That, and Zephyr are the jb tweaks I miss the most :( (I'm talking really about iPhone jailbreak, not arsed about jbing iPads, I don't change the settings much with it and it already has swipe up for multitasking bar)

Edited by yegon at 18:05:18 07-01-2013
  • mrpon 7 Jan 2013 17:54:43 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of larger text, anyone played around in the Accessibility section in Settings - General? All kinds of text size, zoom, voice overs, invert colours etc..

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• yegon 7 Jan 2013 18:02:13 5,416 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've upped it for Mail but it doesn't apply to Safari unfortunately. Pity 'cos larger text really does hide much of the worst elements of the lower res screen.

Edited by yegon at 18:06:59 07-01-2013
  • Deleted user 25 January 2013 19:40:49
    So, thoughts? I'm looking at an iPad for work due to the obscene amount of reeding and travelling I need to do (paperless office but I can't get used to sitting at a desk for all my reading). They are offering to buy me a laptop but I'm minded to just buy my own iPad instead. Put off slightly by low res (even if it will mean little in practice), but I'm more concerned by the effect this will have on apps (evernote and the like I use for work).
  • Moot_Point 25 Jan 2013 20:39:11 4,627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    So, thoughts? I'm looking at an iPad for work due to the obscene amount of reeding
    I doubt an iPad mini would be any good for reeding tbh.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 25 Jan 2013 20:58:31 14,034 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's great. Possibly better than a full-sized iPad, if only because you can more easily hold it while typing.
    Since it is pocketbook sized I also find it better to read on it than on the iPad.

Can't comment on the lower resolution, since I never used a retina screen. But then again, holding it at normal distance I can barely make out the pixels so it's good enough for me.
  • THFourteen 25 Jan 2013 21:01:32 34,483 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I use my mini for reading to and from work (about 20mins on the bus + dlr). Its fine, but if i'm at home i'll switch to kindle.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2013 21:41:36
    Moot_Point wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    So, thoughts? I'm looking at an iPad for work due to the obscene amount of reeding
    I doubt an iPad mini would be any good for reeding tbh.
    Why not?
  • dominalien 22 Feb 2013 15:22:41 7,071 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For some reason I now have one of these iPads. I think I'll be keeping it. I thought the resolution would bother me more. The real test will be Baldur's Gate tonight. I'm not sure how playable it'll be.

PSN: DonOsito

• THFourteen 22 Feb 2013 15:29:45 34,483 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started using mine at work to take notes on with a stylus and Notability.

Its a bit fiddly, but you get used to it after a while.

Definitely my most used gadget ever. I never leave the house without it, can't wait for a retina version.
  • mothercruncher 22 Feb 2013 21:24:20 7,880 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mmm, totally in love with my mini. I actually use my phone for- shock- just texting and calls now.
  • TarickStonefire 23 Feb 2013 10:56:23 3,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:

And, I love the split keyboard feature- feels really quick to type on. But it seems to get in the way all the time given that it's set to float midway on the screen... often it obscuring the box I'm trying to type into which is poop. Is there no way to split it and have it docked at the bottom?
    In addition to the tip posted above, you can also grab the keyboard when it's split and move it to wherever you want it on the screen - hold the button bottom right that has little lines on it.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 23 Feb 2013 10:58:26 3,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien I hedged on buying Baldur's Gate on release, waited for forums to start reporting back. I'm still putting it off because apparently a few key click/tap zones remain suitable for a mouse but not so much for fingers and I think that would really frustrate me even on a MaxiPad.

Then again a lot of people put up with that just fine, everyone's got different patience levels! Let me know what you think - I'm still hedging!

Edited by TarickStonefire at 11:00:08 23-02-2013

• TarickStonefire 23 Feb 2013 11:03:11 3,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    I think it's great. Possibly better than a full-sized iPad, if only because you can more easily hold it while typing.
    Since it is pocketbook sized I also find it better to read on it than on the iPad.

Can't comment on the lower resolution, since I never used a retina screen. But then again, holding it at normal distance I can barely make out the pixels so it's good enough for me.
    I've got an iPad 3, wife had an iPad 1 and sold it to get a Mini. To my eye the Mini resolution feels higher than the 1, but I expected the difference between it and the retina screen to be much more jarring than it turned out to be.

You can still see pixels, but the overall experience after looking at it for a while is well beyond 'acceptable' given these high-pixel-res times we're in.

• JayG 23 Feb 2013 11:33:27 869 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Baldur's Gate works great now, I found it unplayable before the patch. Had no real issues except the ones that were always there, like the Bleeding party never actually going where I want them to. Sometimes seems to be a memory problem though after you die and reload, just close the programs and restart it. Does mean that I end up longing for Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape that much more though.

Reason I'm lurking on here is my mrs loves the Ipad, so was going to get her the mini for her birthday, but not sure if I should wait for the Mini 2. Apple seems worse then PC's used to be for endless updating.
  • speedofthepuma 23 Feb 2013 11:47:52 13,320 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So my iPads screen is scratched and fragmenting slowly. Do I buy a mini, or save and buy another pad? Essentially to those who have had both: is there anything you wish you had the iPad's size for when using the mini?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• dominalien 23 Feb 2013 11:51:05 7,071 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

Oh, it runs mostly fine post-patch. I was playing on my iPad 1 until yesterday and while it's rough around the edges technically, or rather control-wise, my doubt was related to the screen size versus my sausage fingers on the mini, not anything else.

I've since decided it's perfectly fine, so I have no more reservations about replacing the iPad 1 with the mini.

PSN: DonOsito

• mrpon 23 Feb 2013 12:24:33 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @speedofthepuma what gen have you got already?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• speedofthepuma 23 Feb 2013 12:27:26 13,320 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2nd

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Page

of 23 First / Last