of 23 First / Last

• THFourteen 17 Oct 2012 19:55:15 33,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lol!
  • THFourteen 17 Oct 2012 20:04:26 33,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am all over this. If its got 3G and has a decent processor and is extra thin and light, i'm in.

Already put the wifes ipad 2 on ebay yesterday.

I find the ipad 3 too heavy for gaming in long sessions, and the edges too sharp.

Not interested in a nexus 7 as i'm not a big fan of the android store game wise, I think its very limited. Also I can get my work email on ios which means I can leave my blackberry alone.
  • mal 17 Oct 2012 20:41:54 22,406 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    3GPP/2
    What are you on about?
    American mobile phones, I think, which it seems are still stupid and incompatible with the rest of the world.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• oceanmotion 17 Oct 2012 20:54:34 15,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do Apple have FM radio these days ?
  • THFourteen 17 Oct 2012 20:55:40 33,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't think so.

I just stream over 3G, but then I only listen to football now and then
  • RichieTenenbaum 17 Oct 2012 20:56:30 2,187 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I they release an iPad mini I can't help but feel that that's their magic touch gone.

There is no reason for it to exist apart from to compete with the nexus. That's not how apple have worked the last few years ...
  • Deleted user 17 October 2012 21:02:21
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Do Apple have FM radio these days ?
    http://www.applefm.co.uk/
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 17 Oct 2012 21:05:40 126 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think the real challenge is going to be whether they can create an entirely new hardware line post-Jobs. Gentle, increased performance iterations are interesting but can they still capture mass-imagination with a new product line?

I really think this "Apple era" could go either way when that time comes.
  • steve242526 17 Oct 2012 21:17:59 132 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just holding out now for the 32gb Nexus. I've already gone the Apple way when I had a 2nd Gen Ipod Touch and it pissed me off how it was only supported for about 18 months and that was it for updates. Hopefully this will be better.
  • oceanmotion 17 Oct 2012 21:19:23 15,765 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've always wanted a wrist/forearm device you see in futuristic movies. When Apple went back again with the Nano design it just seemed a bit pointless. Could have been a wrist device. Tech might not be there yet but I think wearable computing in that basic way hasn't reached any great height. Something like instead of their less than exciting line ups now would be a nice spark for Apple or other tech companies. Harsh to say Apple have plateaued, others aren't overtaking at lightning speed, just cruising by or staying level.
  • CharlieStCloud 17 Oct 2012 22:00:16 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I find myself genuinely not caring about this because unlike THFourteen, I have no problem laying on my sofa and playing games or browsing the web whilst holding my iPad aloft ... the slightly extra weight gives it a sense of durability and heft that the iPad 2 wholly lacked.

To go from a bright, vivid crystal clear screen (Retina) to a less desirable pixelated resolution is not something that makes me sit up and take notice. As snobby as this sounds, using my iPad then going round my friends to use his iPad 2 amazes me just how poor the old display truly is.

If Apple prices this between Ł199-229, that'll guaranteed a 'Happy Christmas' for them.
  • speedofthepuma 17 Oct 2012 22:23:33 13,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm completely wrong here I'm sure, but I don't see the point of this. I'm also really not exited about the iPhone 5 and I'm not upgrading to IOS 6. Given how I am a complete sucker for apple and I am looking at their competitors I reckon they are on a downslope now.

I think they need something revolutionary stat. (A TV of some description?)..

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Deleted user 17 October 2012 22:30:02
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    I'm completely wrong here I'm sure, but I don't see the point of this. I'm also really not exited about the iPhone 5 and I'm not upgrading to IOS 6. Given how I am a complete sucker for apple and I am looking at their competitors I reckon they are on a downslope now.

I think they need something revolutionary stat. (A TV of some description?)..
    Completely agree. They've just drawn out iOS which is fundamental to all things not mac for far too long. Which is bad enough, but even more so when competitors have a more interesting and fresh offering. I'm curious to see this mini as I've really missed the iPad since selling it, but they need to do something interesting soon if applefreaks like me are losing interest.
  • Moot_Point 17 Oct 2012 22:53:22 3,958 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What if Apple retire the iPod and have the iPod touch replace it in the market. This new iPad mini could be the replacement in the market for the Touch. /stabs dark

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• THFourteen 17 Oct 2012 23:04:05 33,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

I've got weak wrists...

Good point about the retina tho, using my wife's ipad 2 you really notice the difference now.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2012 23:39:09
    iPhone lives in my pocket.

The family iPad lives in the lounge.

iPad mini would be my own, personal, take anywhere iPad replacement. Would be great for work (run my PowerPoint presentation off it, PDFs, work related websites) and an excellent ebook / .cbr reader.

iPhone can stay in my pocket and share its Internet connection when mobile.

And those renders with a black back look fantastic.

Only problem is, I won't have the cash until bonus time in January ....
  • beastmaster 18 Oct 2012 08:58:47 11,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder what colours they'll be in?

These are very tempting indeed. I'll never get rid of my iPad2 as I've got icade and I love playing the games on this. I can't justify a fully fledged iPad3 but one of these...Hmm.

You may ask the question why I'd need one if I've already got a iPad2? I want the retina display and something that's a ligther and a bit more portable. In a very dark red :-)

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• THFourteen 18 Oct 2012 09:28:13 33,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure that this will have retina display.

I can't work out in my mind what the resolution will be, either they add a new resolution, or they keep it at 1024x768.

I also can't determine whether it will have the iPhone 5 A6 processor or just the old A5 in some configuration.
  • speedofthepuma 18 Oct 2012 09:30:21 13,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @beastmaster
    The iPad isn't too big to carry, and I never feel the screen is too large.

I just don't get it (but totally prepared to be wrong). My rabid Apple-fanboy friend feels exactly the same mind you.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• UncleLou Moderator 18 Oct 2012 09:37:37 35,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    @beastmaster
    The iPad isn't too big to carry, and I never feel the screen is too large.

I just don't get it (but totally prepared to be wrong). My rabid Apple-fanboy friend feels exactly the same mind you.
    I don't know, the iPad is definitely too big unless you want to carry it in an extra bag, no? Unless you wear baggy trousers. :)

Probably perfect for people who want to carry it with them all the time - which is nothing I need, though. And which only will make sense if it has 3G.
  • brn 18 Oct 2012 09:41:46 230 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't get people saying "oh this isn't very apple" but they (apple) are really just going about this the same way as with the iPod. It wasn't until they released the smaller, cheaper iPod mini that it started to become a massive hit. This iPad mini will be the same thing; it will be aimed at teens and schools who can't afford the bigger, better iPad and don't need all the bells and whistles of it's bigger brother.

People who are worried about it being too small to work with should look to their iPhones as to whether that interface is too small—the iPad actually has a larger interface than the iPhone and it is expected that the iPad mini will have it's interface shrunken down to about the same as the iPhone.

My only hope for next tuesday is that they will come in colours like the iPods.
    Yes I am vain.
  • Tonka 18 Oct 2012 09:48:39 20,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just find it weird to see apple enter the red ocean and blatantly copy its competitors.

What they need to work on is a complete reboot of iOS. Not lighter, thinner, bigger, smaller hardware iterations.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• THFourteen 18 Oct 2012 09:58:03 33,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am assuming the hardware and software divisions at Apple are totally separate. iOS is pretty rubbish now compared to android. Unfortunately it's still much better supported.

Hmmmm red ipad mini with white cover. Want.
  • yegon 18 Oct 2012 10:13:27 5,210 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Not lighter, thinner, bigger, smaller hardware iterations.
    No greater sign of this than the official reasoning behind removing the ambient light sensor* from the new iPod Touch. "We couldn't fit it in the thin chassis", or words to that effect. So removing stuff now for the sake of thinness, great move.

Hate this mentality. I'd have rather have had a iPhone 5 the thickness of a 4 with 33% bigger battery. Instead, I've got to wait for a new Mophie Juice Pack, pfft. I do lots of tethering which utterly nails the battery.

*I never ever use auto brightness on any devices, but that's not the point.

As for this mini, I'd probably sell my 3 for it, if it had retina. At these prices, and with a 16.5kw battery, retina ain't happening though is it.

Edited by yegon at 10:17:29 18-10-2012
  • Razz 18 Oct 2012 10:44:09 60,993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    3GPP/2
    What are you on about?
    American mobile phones, I think, which it seems are still stupid and incompatible with the rest of the world.
    No
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Generation_Partnership_Project_2

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• dunny 18 Oct 2012 10:47:44 433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @yegon with a smaller screen on a an iPad mini, having the same resolution as the ipad 2 resolution must make it close to the ipad 3 retina in terms of PPI I would have thought.

Plus it would make it much simpler for devs to support their apps for just two resolution levels (one at ipad, ipad 2 and ipad mini resolution. One at iPad 3 retina resolution, which is handily exactly double the first).

I think the complications of introducing a third resolution point would be significant.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last