Worms Revolution

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Lexx87 11 Oct 2012 15:09:07 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi all,

I know I know another Worms game. This is not a re-hash of Worms Armageddon though as released on the 360, or a god-awful 3D version, this is a brand new from scratch 2D Worms game out on PC (and 360 I assume) today.

As a die-hard lover of all things 2D Worms, i'm excited even if no-one else is. It's got a meaty SP portion and of course the standard always fun multiplayer.

The main new addition is 'classes' for your worms, Soldier, Scout, Heavy and Support. You can have just 'normal' Worms without any class specicic advantage/weakness too. Not sure how much this will at add but at least it's something a little new on the classic formula.

Tis 11.99 on Steam (not sure on 360), and i'll be playing it tonight at least!

Here's a (boooooo) IGN review for it:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/03/worms-revolution-review

I'm a sucker but, it's new Worms so, I don't care.

Edited by Lexx87 at 15:11:23 11-10-2012

Edited by Lexx87 at 15:11:38 11-10-2012

Speak the truth hussy!

• midnight_walker 11 Oct 2012 15:13:31 1,629 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I too, am a total sucker for Worms. I preordered it on PSN at it seemed to be the cheapest place to get it at 9.99 AND they threw in Worms: Crazy Golf for free! I couldn't quite believe my eyes. I just went through the tutorial last night, but I really like the look of it so far.

I'll give it another blast tonight if I can pull myself away from Crazy Golf, which I have surprised myself by really enjoying. I foolishly started playing it whilst waiting for Revolution to unlock and now I'm hooked!
  • Retry90 11 Oct 2012 17:30:17 78 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seems really good so far. Having Matt Berry narrating is a bonus.

They've done a really good job of this I feel! Lots of new features, weapons etc, all in a pretty environment with some cool physics-y things.

Retry90 on XBL if anyone wants a game!
  • munki83 11 Oct 2012 18:59:21 1,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been playing the sp for this today and I must say its a good worms again. Not done any mp but its fun so far. Not really sure about the new worm types but I'm going to try them out and see how it works. The scout is pretty cool and seems to be the best addition to the new types
  • BornInNorway81 12 Oct 2012 13:20:43 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    WHY DID YOU CLOSE MY THREAD?

I WANT A DISCUSSION ON THAT SUBJECT!

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/242906

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worms Revolution: A Worms Devolution

Worms Revolution released yesterday, October 10th. The game has been advertised as a new but familiar Worms game, with completely new strategic elements and features. Because of this, I have been eagerly waiting for several months. Tuesday evening, the day before release, I pre-ordered the PS3 version. I started playing that night.

I never buy games on release day or shortly after, because they rarely are properly fixed and finished until a few months past their release date, unless it is a Nintendo game, because they seldom have severe errors in their games. This time, the bonus of getting Worms Crazy Golf for free when pre-ordering, along with reading positive reviews, convinced me that it was worth NOK 99 (10.8, 13.4).

How I should have followed my well established policies! I have played the single player campaign for a handful of hours, and my experiences are listed below.

Problems with the game, listed in order of severity, from severe and joy-removing to distracting and irritating:
    >> The game lags when the 'camera' moves, every time; it looks like the frame rate at times decreases as low as 10 fps.
    >> The AI worms can 'think' for 10 to 30 seconds, just to skip the turn.
    >> Horizontal rendering resolution looks like around 500 lines (except HUD), just too low to be on PS3.
    >> The textures are very poor when in medium to close view.
    >> Edges in environment are very jagged.

I am not exaggerating! Please believe me!

To compare, I will use Donkey Kong Country Returns as an example. While I adore that game, it could of course have looked sharper in HD. So how does Worms Revolution compare?
    >> Donkey Kong Country Returns' pixel resolution looks higher than that of Worms Revolution!
    >> Donkey Kong Country Returns' textures looks better than those in Worms Revolution!
    >> Donkey Kong Country Returns' environments are smoother and less jagged than those in Worms Revolution!
    >> Donkey Kong Country Returns' frame rate looks like it runs twice that of Worms Revolution, and I cannot remember seeing DKCR's frame rate ever slowing down!

Imagine that! A game on Wii beating a 'HD' game on a HD console on every account with regards to visual presentation and performance.

Worms Revolution is fun, but there just are too many problems! I should have waited, as usual, and evaluated the game after reading more reviews and gamers' arguments a few months from now.

How is it possible to fail so badly? Maybe it can be fixed by Team 17. But will they? Maybe it is to severe to be fixed via a patch. Time will show, but I am baffled they released this wreck of a game!

Reviews I read, heard and watched before I purchased the game; all positive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAy8FJS3YEE
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/03/worms-revolution-review
    http://www.nowgamer.com/xbox-360/xbox-live-reviews/1624445/worms_revolution_review.html

The review I should have read:
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/worms-revolution

A question related to the positive reviews above, and also a problem with many other reviewers: Why are many game journalists so extremely afraid to be critical? Have they no pride in their work at all?

Edited by BornInNorway81 at 16:50:35 12-10-2012
  • Lexx87 12 Oct 2012 13:33:26 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like PS3 issues, as it's great on PC.

Speak the truth hussy!

• mikew1985 12 Oct 2012 13:33:31 12,039 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WHAT WAS WRONG WITH USING THIS THREAD IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

also wormslol.
  • midnight_walker 12 Oct 2012 13:36:56 1,629 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got it on PS3. I agree that it is a bit pixelly, and there is a small amount of camera lag. But eh, so what. It was 10, and it's probably something T17 can fix. And if not, it's not a gamebreaker. I got the cheapest version and a free game out of it, and both are a blast to play.
  • BornInNorway81 12 Oct 2012 13:42:00 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:

also wormslol.
    Because the subject "Worms Revolution" is too wide, I took time to write this and want a discussion on that subject, and now Eurogamer closes the thread. It is not practical to have several subjects in one large thread, something this thread may become.

Edited by BornInNorway81 at 13:42:36 12-10-2012
  • Lexx87 12 Oct 2012 13:45:55 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Attempt a 'Worms Revolution PS3' discussion in the 'PS3' category maybe they'll accept that. Also people here don't like THINGS ALL IN CAPS AND SHOUTY, try without that :)

Speak the truth hussy!

• StarchildHypocrethes 12 Oct 2012 13:50:04 24,557 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Plus we don't really trust Norwegians.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Oct 2012 14:23:25 4,603 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    With the greatest respect, this thread is unlikely to become very large. I think it's reasonable to keep the discussion in here.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• munki83 12 Oct 2012 14:28:03 1,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah you should chill out and play some Worms :D. I think the ps3 version has issues as it looks and plays fine on the pc. Ok the AI in worms has always been wonky but its all about the mp fun. Also it cost 10 so not everything can be perfect
  • BillMurray 12 Oct 2012 14:32:24 7,235 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I might have to pick this up. I've been aching for some Worms action(?) after a couple of my favourite Youtube broadcasters have had a lengthy series of them replaying Worms Armageddon and i'd forgotten how fun that game was.
  • mikew1985 12 Oct 2012 14:46:07 12,039 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BornInNorway81 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

also wormslol.
    Because the subject "Worms Revolution" is too wide, I took time to write this and want a discussion on that subject, and now Eurogamer closes the thread. It is not practical to have several subjects in one large thread, something this thread may become.
    Are you mental?

If this was the case, the forum would be awash with utter shite (well even more so), similar to your rightfully locked thread.

Imagine how many threads would come from a game people actually cared about!

wormslol
  • THFourteen 12 Oct 2012 14:51:08 31,784 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    is there to be an iOS / Android version?
  • BornInNorway81 12 Oct 2012 17:05:58 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Attempt a 'Worms Revolution PS3' discussion in the 'PS3' category maybe they'll accept that. Also people here don't like THINGS ALL IN CAPS AND SHOUTY, try without that :)
    I believe this occasion was the first time I used upper case letters in whole sentences in several years. Can you guess why?

Hint: I did not recieve a reply after using the website contact form.

Answer: I did it to get the [substitute brackets with one word] off the website staff.
  • BornInNorway81 12 Oct 2012 17:20:08 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    BornInNorway81 wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:

also wormslol.
    Are you mental?

If this was the case, the forum would be awash with utter shite (well even more so), similar to your rightfully locked thread.

Imagine how many threads would come from a game people actually cared about!

wormslol
    You have the nerve to ask if I have a psychiatric disorder? I only discuss matters of these kinds with my friends.

You are rude, drawing comparisons between my opinions and rubbish. You should seek out a forum for like-minded with the same behavioral patterns.

I would appreciate if we could take about the game instead.
  • Ironlungs76 13 Oct 2012 08:30:51 4,930 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lexx is a Worms ninja. That is all.
  • Deckard1 13 Oct 2012 09:49:41 25,384 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Am I the only one who thinks giving Anders Breivik internet access is completely out of order?

Called it

• Lexx87 13 Oct 2012 10:37:22 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Christ I make one thread about a simple game and it takes seconds to become an annoying place to be.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 13 October 2012 10:50:41
    Sorry Lexx bit I'm lmao at this Norway guy. It's not another fruit sock is it?

This new worms game hasn't had much publicity, first I've heard about it.
  • Moot_Point 13 Oct 2012 10:51:12 3,500 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Venatio wrote:
    With the greatest respect, this thread is unlikely to become very large. I think it's reasonable to keep the discussion in here.
    /Stealth worms is shit post

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Lexx87 13 Oct 2012 11:03:45 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apostle wrote:

I wouldnt know it existed unless I hadn't seen it on Steam, zero publicity and not many reviews either.

Lots of people are probably past it, but I don't know I always find a game
    of Worms to be enjoyable.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 13 October 2012 11:22:03
    Watching the ign video it makes me wonder if they had the mobile/tablet market in mind. The physics objects and water are something you see quite regularly in app type games. Looks nice though, will be downloading the trial later.
  • BornInNorway81 14 Oct 2012 11:51:09 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Apostle wrote:

What is a 'fruit sock'?

Or is this your way of making fun of me?

If so, why? Do you have any living family members, or are they all dead, so you have no feelings left inside, and so have forgotten that words can hurt?

If this forum had a report-button, I would report your post.

Edited by BornInNorway81 at 11:52:40 14-10-2012
  • BornInNorway81 14 Oct 2012 11:52:03 28 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Christ I make one thread about a simple game and it takes seconds to become an annoying place to be.
    And why has it become such a place?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Oct 2012 11:55:52 36,269 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh calm down.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• IncredibleKoosh 14 Oct 2012 13:55:10 239 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BornInNorway81 wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:
    And why has it become such a place?
    Because of you.
  • IncredibleKoosh 14 Oct 2012 13:56:37 239 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Back on topic; Have played the demo, enjoyed it - as I do with most Worms games, and will be purchasing it later.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous