• morriss 16 Oct 2012 11:19:48 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GTA IV was painfully boring. "No I don't want to go bowling, fuck off."

That's a different discussion though.
  • FanBoysSuck 16 Oct 2012 11:38:51 1,448 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's no real surprise that the official magazines bump up scores on exclusives. I still remember the score official PS2 magazine gave Primal. After buying the game off that review I instantly swore never to read an official console manufacturers magazine again. I picked up Edge not long after (the one with the "are you bored of video games?" cover caught my eye on the way to view a university). Never looked back.

Forgive me! I was young and naive!

For the emperor!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Oct 2012 12:02:23 37,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    you're painfully boring. you only need to go bowling once. it's like 5 minutes out of a 100 hour game.

just shows you haven't really played it, now get off the bandwagon.
    OR more likely he's referring to when Nico's friends call him asking to hang out. Constantly.

Honestly, touchy much?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• graysonavich 16 Oct 2012 12:19:39 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "can't keep a steady 60fps minimum, 10/10!"
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Oct 2012 12:41:17 37,340 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    the phone can still be turned off so you don't need to go to the bother of tapping a button to hang up on the motherfucker.

not really an issue... at all. but it gets reliably rolled out whenever people talk about GTA 4 - like it's an integral and major part of the game, which couldn't be futher from the truth.

so it is very much a bandwagon statement.

lets hope it's not in the next one, we hear more from the people complaining about it, then we actually hear from it in-game.
    Turning off the phone stops the story from progressing, it warns you as such when you go to turn it off. I'd call the story stopping "integral and major". Wouldn't you?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dsmx 16 Oct 2012 12:47:38 7,555 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or you know they could of just made it so if you wanted to go bowling you called them otherwise they just shut the fuck up and let you get with playing through the game that looked like you were watching it through a used coffee filter.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Tonka 16 Oct 2012 12:58:42 20,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bowling? Is that an euphemism for beating the shit out of some snitch?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 16 Oct 2012 14:34:56 58,784 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    its stupid and annoying, thats whats wrong with that.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• morriss 16 Oct 2012 15:07:55 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Drive me here, then here, then here and oh wait, then back there. Now shoot some people, run away, drive after this car for 15 fucking minutes, shoot some more people, escape the police watch a 10 minute animated cut scene.

I can see why people love it, it's just not for me.
  • ronuds 16 Oct 2012 15:16:51 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm on GTA IV's side, but the phone was easily one of the worst parts of the game. Yeah, you could turn it off, but it wasn't to your benefit (other than avoiding the constant annoyance).

Edited by ronuds at 15:23:44 16-10-2012
  • disusedgenius 16 Oct 2012 15:21:28 5,210 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The phone was one of those things which is ok if you can sink a few hours into the game at a time. If you're one of these fuddy-duddy 'I only have 30 minutes to sneak in a quick game before I need to do some work or change a nappy or mow the lawn or have sex with my wife' types then, yeah, it starts to drag a bit.

'Twas great fun when I had a spare month to kill but couldn't get back into it when working life resumed.
  • mikew1985 16 Oct 2012 15:33:13 12,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep it's a great game, some people don't like it, but because others really like it, said people vociferously dislike it.

Cyclical pointless arguments ensue and everybody goes home grumpy.

Let's move on shall we.

Edited by mikew1985 at 15:33:53 16-10-2012
  • ecureuil 16 Oct 2012 15:34:50 76,496 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    The phone was one of those things which is ok if you can sink a few hours into the game at a time. If you're one of these fuddy-duddy 'I only have 30 minutes to sneak in a quick game before I need to do some work or change a nappy or mow the lawn or have sex with my wife' types then, yeah, it starts to drag a bit.

'Twas great fun when I had a spare month to kill but couldn't get back into it when working life resumed.
    Yeah, this sort of game works best when you can totally absorb yourself in the world.
  • mcmothercruncher 16 Oct 2012 15:38:05 6,447 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Semen fart bubble. Heh.
  • Kanjin 16 Oct 2012 16:49:13 1,052 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Yep it's a great game, some people don't like it, but because others really like it, said people vociferously dislike it.

Let's move on shall we.
    Hey, most forum threads summed up in one helpful phrase.
  • ecureuil 16 Oct 2012 16:51:58 76,496 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey, the Prometheus thread is great!
  • coomber 16 Oct 2012 19:43:28 323 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really glad to see the tabloid wannabes at CVG get a kicking. Loathsome website
  • jonsaan 16 Oct 2012 20:18:53 25,326 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This sort of bitter rant by an ex employee sounds like any big company to my ears. Business is business. Creativity and staff welfare tend to take a backseat. It's just the way of the world.

FCUTA!

• bobdebob 16 Oct 2012 20:27:07 549 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought nothing could top the MPs expense scandel(!).

I stopped trusting mag reviews quite a while ago when they just used the 5-10 end of the scale and every preview was nothing but positivity.

The MGS4 reviews were ones that showed me how reliable mag reviews really were, I don't think a single one of them mentioned the 45 minute cutscenes, the miniscule amount of gameplay or the fact you had to install each act individually.

coomber wrote:
    Really glad to see the tabloid wannabes at CVG get a kicking. Loathsome website
    Eurogamer has its own hit-centric articles like the dating site thing that came up 3 times or the review of Mafia 2 which was given 4/10.

Edited by bobdebob at 20:38:21 16-10-2012
  • NOSAVIOUR 16 Oct 2012 21:26:25 2,804 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AD's make magazines possible. Nothing surprising here. You can hardly expect an advertiser to pay 1500 for a page if the mag they are advertising in has given their game a low score.
  • warlockuk 17 Oct 2012 10:28:52 19,133 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    AD's make magazines possible. Nothing surprising here. You can hardly expect an advertiser to pay 1500 for a page if the mag they are advertising in has given their game a low score.
    This is true, though if the game is truly terrible that's hardly the magazine's fault.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• andytheadequate 17 Oct 2012 10:34:09 8,076 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @NOSAVIOUR - without independence and integrity magazines and websites are pointless. If advertisers can buy a review score, we might as well just hear hoe great the game is straight from the developers.

Its interesting to see the guy mention homefront. That got brilliant early reviews but when the rest of the gaming world starter reviewing it a week later they all thought it was average. It was quite clearly a paid for early exclusive deal which Future have a reputation for doing.
  • jonsaan 18 Oct 2012 07:49:56 25,326 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:

Let's move on shall we.
    I think it's more about the fact that it was a huge step
    backwards for a lot of things GtA has previously done so well. Free roaming outside of the missions felt lifeless and dull. The music was very one dimensional too.

FCUTA!

• pinebear 18 Oct 2012 09:36:03 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Its interesting to see the guy mention homefront. That got brilliant early reviews but when the rest of the gaming world starter reviewing it a week later they all thought it was average. It was quite clearly a paid for early exclusive deal which Future have a reputation for doing.
    Or an early embargo lift for outlets that scored the game highly - not paid for directly, but a higher score encouraged by means of an implied increase in advertising revenue generated by site traffic.

Either way, there should be greater awareness that early scores, first reviews, exclusives and the like do not necessarily indicate a consensus.

As an aside, there have been instances of magazine or website pullquotes being quietly removed from advertising material when said outlet then delivers a particularly damning final assessment.

• Tonka 18 Oct 2012 10:46:01 20,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The problem here is that game journos see themselves as part of the industry. Hell I suspect that game devs see them as that as well.

Look at film reviews in the newspapers as a refreshing alternative to the nepotistical relatioship gamesites/mags have with the developers. A shit film get shit scores. Biggest percieved problem with film reviews is the snobbism of the reviwers.

In order for this to happen gaming needs to grow up and become a mature pasttime. A quick glance at the boothbabe at the expos thread tell me this won't happen any time soon.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Dirtbox 18 Oct 2012 11:23:32 77,468 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are part of the industry and have been since the industry began, they're a vital marketing and PR tool as evidenced by this entire fucking thread.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Page

of 5 First / Last