Games Journo turns whistle-blower on reviews in twitter Q&A Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• SClaw 11 Oct 2012 11:48:50 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    it wasn't worth the hassle of spending time to serve reviews to people who wish death on your family because you were honest about a game they had not even played.
    In all fairness, though, I wish death on lots of children/families for less than that. Like... for being in the same room or general region of the world as me.
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 11:49:16 27,476 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The stuff about Future isn't particularly surprising, especially given the debacle around their recent RE6 review.
    What debacle? Worse than the McCarthuheyuy train wreck here on EG?
    Covered in the RE6 thread here

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Savatage 11 Oct 2012 11:58:37 38 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Funny how he somehow knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that GTA 4 is the only game to have been bribed into a 10/10 score, ever, in the entire 20-odd year history of Edge. And I guess Rockstar's "direct intimidation" technique wasn't so effective when it came time for Edge to do the Max Payne 3 review.

Having trouble taking him seriously TBH.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 13:32:08
    Phattso wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It's not like he's done it anonymously though. It's proper whistleblowing.

It's almost certainly true imo. Everything he's saying sounds totally believable. GTA IV was never an EDGE 10 (as good as it was) and LA Noire was massively overrated in reviews generally.
    Yeah, but it's still just his opinion the same as yours. He actually has no proof that it wasn't a 10. It just happens to marry with your personal world view. I thought it deserved a 10 every day of the week, even with its FUCKING checkpointing. :)
    Well, he's claiming to have actual knowledge, even if he doesn't have proof, so it's not just an opinion the same as mine. The interest I have in this isn't because "it happens to marry with my personal world view" - it's interesting because it's a known industry figure directly accusing the most respected magazine in publication of corruption. That's a big story.

Don't really appreciate the thinly veiled accusation of fanboyism. I would have found this interesting whatever game it was he happened to be making the accusation about. The irony is that its fairly obvious that "your personal world view" i.e. liking GTA IV lots appears to be shaping your opinion on this just being some bitter reviewer with an axe to grind and no real substance to his accusation.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 13:38:51
    You'll notice btw I said "It was never an EDGE 10". Whether or not I consider it a 10 or not is moot. I'm making a point about what EDGE tend to give 10s for.
  • morriss 15 Oct 2012 12:36:15 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder why no website reported this as news? Not CVG, VG247, EG, Destructiod etc. No-one.

iz it coz itz troo?
  • pinebear 15 Oct 2012 13:12:39 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Legal repercussions?

• spamdangled 15 Oct 2012 13:13:56 27,476 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I wonder why no website reported this as news? Not CVG, VG247, EG, Destructiod etc. No-one.

iz it coz itz troo?
    They're too busy blacklisting him to comment.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Orange 15 Oct 2012 13:49:14 4,896 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Savatage wrote:
    Funny how he somehow knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that GTA 4 is the only game to have been bribed into a 10/10 score, ever, in the entire 20-odd year history of Edge. And I guess Rockstar's "direct intimidation" technique wasn't so effective when it came time for Edge to do the Max Payne 3 review.

Having trouble taking him seriously TBH.
    Agreed, also claiming GTA3 (not 4) only deserved an 8 seems he has an axe to grind / personal bias.
  • morriss 15 Oct 2012 13:50:23 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So why is no-one pressing charges. His allegations against a former employer are deadly serious and libel.
  • morriss 15 Oct 2012 13:50:24 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So why is no-one pressing charges. His allegations against a former employer are deadly serious and libel.
  • ecu 15 Oct 2012 13:52:31 77,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:

iz it coz itz troo?
    They don't have anything to gain from reporting it, but it might piss off Rockstar a bit. It's too much of a risk to take considering it's just the words of one man.
  • superdelphinus 15 Oct 2012 14:12:26 8,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    because you can't 'press charges' for civil actions?
  • morriss 15 Oct 2012 14:31:25 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    morriss wrote:

iz it coz itz troo?
    They don't have anything to gain from reporting it, but it might piss off Rockstar a bit. It's too much of a risk to take considering it's just the words of one man.
    It's still newsworthy though. It really does seem like people are scared. Otherwise they would publish it. Rich Stanton is respected and would have no reason to lie.

It just underlines that you can't trust games journalism for impartiality.
  • Mr-Brett 15 Oct 2012 15:22:49 12,896 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HandsomeCrab wrote:
    What the fuck is a a "strawberry float?"
    There are a number of odd fruit/desert based metaphors in there. Anyone care to translate?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• convercide 15 Oct 2012 15:47:00 6,206 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't it where you take a strawberry and insert it into your own anus and then shit it out onto a bed of whipped cream that floats atop a bucketful of piss?

Or was that just me last Thursday?

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Lexx87 15 Oct 2012 15:51:52 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Canada has turned you wrong.

Speak the truth hussy!

• RobTheBuilder 15 Oct 2012 16:07:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We know it goes on, but sad to hear it is as blatant and intimidatory as this.
  • morriss 15 Oct 2012 16:07:40 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's just a swear-word changer thingy. You like writing fuck turns in blam! as it used to do over at Bungie.net
  • Gruff 15 Oct 2012 16:22:47 2,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HandsomeCrab wrote:
    What the fuck is a a "strawberry float?"
    A goat

As in this game got my goat

As in "I didn't have a friggin clue what he meant either" :)

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• X201 15 Oct 2012 16:25:18 15,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a drink isn't it?
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2012 16:29:55 61,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks like a swear replacement code, like they use on fark for example

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Gruff 15 Oct 2012 16:33:07 2,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It looks like a swear replacement code, like they use on fark for example
    And like they use in the future when the cyborgs invade a fictional planet Earth, only for humankind to be saved by that bloke from BladeRunner

/Kind of

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• pinebear 15 Oct 2012 16:33:54 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it's GRCade's swear filter. Established after the Great Dessert Wars of 08.

morriss wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    morriss wrote:

iz it coz itz troo?
    It's still newsworthy though. It really does seem like people are scared. Otherwise they would publish it. Rich Stanton is respected and would have no reason to lie.

Hmm. Did you chat to Pat about it?

• morriss 15 Oct 2012 17:25:13 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    Yeah it's GRCade's swear filter. Established after the Great Dessert Wars of 08.

morriss wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    morriss wrote:

iz it coz itz troo?

Hmm. Did you chat to Pat about it?
    Nothing to do with me. He obviously didn't publish it for a reason. And if I did ask him if it's to do with the fact that he's a shill, I doubt we'd be mates. :)

I also know that he isn't. I might bring it up with him one day.

Edited by morriss at 17:35:40 15-10-2012
  • pinebear 15 Oct 2012 17:38:42 8,565 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Twitter trail indicates that he advised Rich to back down. I don't think either of us are necessarily implying that he's part of a huge publisher-funded financial network. Just thought you might have mentioned it is all. He'd have some good insight I'm sure.

• morriss 15 Oct 2012 17:39:47 71,286 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, you're right. When I talk to him next whilst shooting some zombies, I'll bring it up.
  • Lukus 15 Oct 2012 18:45:11 19,475 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MrTomFTW Or that they're on Twitter...

Paintings & Photographs

• Page

of 5 First / Last