Games Journo turns whistle-blower on reviews in twitter Q&A Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 09:59:24
    bad09 wrote:
    Nothing new though is it? He's only saying what we all already know.
    It's like the difference between everyone suspecting Jimmy Savile of being a peado, and him actually being a peado.

I think a 10 being bought in EDGE is massive. EDGE isn't some gutter press publication with no respect or reputation. That's more or less recognised as the highest achievement a game can get. I reckon most on here could name every EDGE 10 ever.

If it's true, then it is a permanent stain on EDGE's reputation. Could/should even be the end of them.
  • Phattso Moderator 11 Oct 2012 10:01:12 13,936 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, the end of them if ever actually proven. We're still talking about the rantings of some recently fucked over journo here.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 10:07:07
    It's not like he's done it anonymously though. It's proper whistleblowing.

It's almost certainly true imo. Everything he's saying sounds totally believable. GTA IV was never an EDGE 10 (as good as it was) and LA Noire was massively overrated in reviews generally.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 10:08:35
    GTA IV wasn't even an Edge 8, let alone a 10.
  • roz123 11 Oct 2012 10:08:42 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the fact GTA4 is the 4th highest rated game on gamerankings.com despite it not even being the 4th best GTA game backs up his claim
  • bad09 11 Oct 2012 10:09:59 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:

It's like the difference between everyone suspecting Jimmy Savile of being a peado, and him actually being a peado.

I think a 10 being bought in EDGE is massive. EDGE isn't some gutter press publication with no respect or reputation. That's more or less recognised as the highest achievement a game can get. I reckon most on here could name every EDGE 10 ever.

If it's true, then it is a permanent stain on EDGE's reputation. Could/should even be the end of them.
    I guess, maybe I'm just looking at through my eyes so it's nothing new or surprising.

Is EDGE really that important anyway and is it even relevant enough today to care? It's always been seen as some great publication and their 10's seemed to matter for some reason but personally, while I read it now and again, I never met a single gamer who read it and most people didn't even know what it was truth be told.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 10:11:53
    It's like the Palme D'Or or something. May not be the most mainstream accolade, but it's probably the most respected in certain circles.
  • bad09 11 Oct 2012 10:18:21 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's like the Palme D'Or or something. May not be the most mainstream accolade, but it's probably the most respected in certain circles.
    Yeah see what you mean. I just always found it funny EDGE reviews were so important when most of the people buying the games were reading other mags :)
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 10:22:31
    Edge is on its way out anyway, regardless of what anyone thinks of its perceived quality as game critique. The game magazine business isn't sustainable anymore and some smart exec recently decided their site's community isn't viable enough to warrant a forum any longer. Great own goal. It's obvious though why they have done away with that aspect of the site: their front page articles weren't generating enough hits and buzz. Clearly, they are keen to have Eurogamer levels of activity in the comments sections, but so far it all points to another unmitigated failure and an all round monumental misfire.

Which is amusing.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 10:24:00
    Hmm, well I thought GTA 4 was amazing. Go figure.
  • Phattso Moderator 11 Oct 2012 10:25:41 13,936 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's not like he's done it anonymously though. It's proper whistleblowing.

It's almost certainly true imo. Everything he's saying sounds totally believable. GTA IV was never an EDGE 10 (as good as it was) and LA Noire was massively overrated in reviews generally.
    Yeah, but it's still just his opinion the same as yours. He actually has no proof that it wasn't a 10. It just happens to marry with your personal world view. I thought it deserved a 10 every day of the week, even with its FUCKING checkpointing. :)
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 10:26:09
    And as an ex CVG loiterer, none of the rest surprises me. It was just a flame baiting site and was in serious need of a proof reader.
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 10:57:55 27,464 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The stuff about Future isn't particularly surprising, especially given the debacle around their recent RE6 review.

Are we able to work out who this guy actually is going by the info he gives about himself? Long-term writer at EG, history at EDGE, PC Gamer, CVG, mentions specific games he wrote about...

Any ideas?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• asphaltcowboy 11 Oct 2012 10:59:44 5,143 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The stuff about Future isn't particularly surprising, especially given the debacle around their recent RE6 review.

Are we able to work out who this guy actually is going by the info he gives about himself? Long-term writer at EG, history at EDGE, PC Gamer, CVG, mentions specific games he wrote about...

Any ideas?
    His Twitter account is listed at the top, so that's a pretty good indication.
  • Murbs 11 Oct 2012 11:00:34 22,587 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bayonetta was still a 10 though, right?
  • spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 11:00:38 27,464 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ohhhhh lol

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 11:00:43 44,956 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EDGE scores being bought is huge. Him proving it (rather than claiming it) is something else entirely.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spamdangled 11 Oct 2012 11:01:38 27,464 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, it's actually the same bloke who wrote the RE6 review.

I thought that had all blown over.

• LeoliansBro 11 Oct 2012 11:03:30 44,956 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plus, this is not whistleblowing. 'Whistleblowing' is alerting authorities in secret to a crime so they can investigate and build a case without the suspected parties being tipped off.

This is more 'attention seeking'.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Tonka 11 Oct 2012 11:14:32 21,353 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    What debacle? Worse than the McCarthuheyuy train wreck here on EG?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kinky_mong 11 Oct 2012 11:19:00 10,867 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Hmm, well I thought GTA 4 was amazing. Go figure.
    Agreed, it was definitely a 9 when it came out, it's just been surpassed since, namely by it's own add ons.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Derblington 11 Oct 2012 11:26:01 22,287 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    What debacle? Worse than the McCarthuheyuy train wreck here on EG?
    It's all in the link on the link of the OP.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 11:27:01
    I've just never been able to get my head around how players are seemingly happy to overlook Rockstars TERRIBLE controls, aiming and cover mechanics. The controller lag alone is enough to put me right off. Sod all that ambition in scope and just give me tightly executed player movement first.

Playing Sleeping Dogs recently really highlights how horrible Rockstar games are in that regard. Heck, even Max Payne 3 had imprecise handling, which is just ridiculous given the franchise.
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2012 11:27:08 61,320 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    He actually has no proof that it wasn't a 10.
    It was one of the very few times that downers shouting 'reads like a..[x]' were on the money.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 11:28:53
    Wouldn't know, since the review in question is apparently inaccessible just now. Pulled?
  • SClaw 11 Oct 2012 11:29:23 826 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CaptainQuint Personally I agree with you, but I do think in that case it was "the whole is better than the sum of its parts".
  • Kay 11 Oct 2012 11:31:34 17,969 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Back when GTA IV came out Edge were throwing 10s around like crazy, so the score wasn't really a huge surprise. The series as a whole may be a cultural phenomenon, and so maybe Edge wanted to finally reflect that with a big score, but the game itself didn't deserve it - all subjective though, obviously.

I personally wouldn't see it as being "obvious" that the score was bought, more a case of Edge jumping along with hype train along with everyone else - it's happened with plenty of other games, too.
  • Maturin 11 Oct 2012 11:41:17 3,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All this seems to be more of a print issue. Worked on sites for 12 years, edited a big European one for six, and only had scores queried twice.

Once was major publisher asking why its big sandbox game didn't get full marks for longevity. We clarified our position to them. No score changed and publisher was happy with our reasoning - not that anything would have changed if they had been unhappy.  Very minor issue clearly.

The other was a very minor publisher asking me not to publish a review at all if the game got six or less. I said no, one because it was unethical, two because the freelance writing team was paid for articles published.

I hate review scores to be honest. But companies like then because metacritic brings lots of traffic. So the powers that be never let me ditch them. I did make a major effort though among our writers to ensure final scores reflected the text, changing the score if it wasn't a fair summary of the text criticism.

Given I got threats of violence against my small children led by gits from N4G for an above average but very critical review of Grand Turismo 5 I had enough of the whole business. The print mags may be a corrupt sewer, but there's much worse among the readers of sites and mags. I turned my back on a long career writing about games because it wasn't worth the hassle of spending time to serve reviews to people who wish death on your family because you were honest about a game they had not even played.

Edited by Maturin at 11:43:06 11-10-2012
  • bad09 11 Oct 2012 11:45:57 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CaptainQuint

It's gonna take it off topic but I have to say it, the controls were not terrible at all they just took getting used to. The way they combined the old "classic and "standard" controls schemes into one simply with pressure on the trigger was genius IMO.
  • morriss 11 Oct 2012 11:47:00 71,286 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Go MR. Stanton.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last