Games Journo turns whistle-blower on reviews in twitter Q&A Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • LeoliansBro 18 Oct 2012 11:39:23 41,869 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The problem here is that game journos see themselves as part of the industry. Hell I suspect that game devs see them as that as well.

Look at film reviews in the newspapers as a refreshing alternative to the nepotistical relatioship gamesites/mags have with the developers. A shit film get shit scores. Biggest percieved problem with film reviews is the snobbism of the reviwers.

In order for this to happen gaming needs to grow up and become a mature pasttime. A quick glance at the boothbabe at the expos thread tell me this won't happen any time soon.
    I agree with absolutely none of this. I particularly love the idea that 'Games Journalists' are different to Film Journalists who write for newspapers, like they have to pass an exam or be initiated or something.

AAA releases send their pampering goodwill towards whoever has the largest readership of people they are targeting. And their money.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 20 Feb 2014 14:16:55 8,749 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr Stanton's twitter feed...

"I reviewed Dark Souls back in the day and tried to give it 10/10. I was told that that outlet's readership preferred games like COD."

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• TarickStonefire 20 Feb 2014 14:42:48 2,665 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The problem here is that game journos see themselves as part of the industry. Hell I suspect that game devs see them as that as well.

Look at film reviews in the newspapers as a refreshing alternative to the nepotistical relatioship gamesites/mags have with the developers. A shit film get shit scores. Biggest percieved problem with film reviews is the snobbism of the reviwers.

In order for this to happen gaming needs to grow up and become a mature pasttime. A quick glance at the boothbabe at the expos thread tell me this won't happen any time soon.
    I'm not sure I follow this, but I see what you're getting at in the first paragraph. However I don't think games journos consider themselves 'part of the industry', but I do think that the relationship between games publishers, games developers and games reviewers is far too close, which is perhaps what you're getting at?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• whatfruit 20 Feb 2014 14:49:18 1,080 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think the people who floated Royal Mail, sold royal mail and bought royal mail had a too close relationship but I didn't see anyone clog any of there twitter feeds with "OMG you guys just don't get it. Public services are for lameoids and gaybos, people who like public services are MASSIVE DICKCHEESES, Everyone knows that people who like Royal mail are not true lovers of their country and are thick odious chicken poos."

I don't know where i'm going with this.
  • wayneh 20 Feb 2014 15:07:25 2,198 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Given I got threats of violence against my small children led by gits from N4G for an above average but very critical review of Grand Turismo 5
    Which pretty much sums up why the anonymity of the internet is not always a good thing.

Glad to see EG came out well, the main reason I come hear is because I find their reviews pretty much align with my own personal views and expectations.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Deleted user 20 February 2014 15:17:26
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Mr Stanton's twitter feed...

"I reviewed Dark Souls back in the day and tried to give it 10/10. I was told that that outlet's readership preferred games like COD."
    Aye i read that earlier, wonder how many scores were re-adjusted or how many editor blogs about the game appeared once outlets realised the growing success of the game.
  • TheMilkman 20 Feb 2014 15:28:15 177 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is from the bloke that gave resi 6 8/10 but said in the review he wouldn't pay full price for it right?
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Feb 2014 15:29:59 8,749 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TheMilkman wrote:
    This is from the bloke that gave resi 6 8/10 but said in the review he wouldn't pay full price for it right?
    Did he give it 8/10 through? :p

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• FanBoysSuck 20 Feb 2014 15:36:09 1,385 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    TheMilkman wrote:
    Did he give it 8/10 through? :p
    I'm sure he said he was pretty much ordered to raise the score.It was a review for CVG, one of the parties he claimed are epically corrupt.

For the emperor!

• TheMilkman 20 Feb 2014 15:54:36 177 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thats bollocks. The guy talks out of his arse. He's a freelance and his reviews end up in numerous places so who is supposed to be telling him what score he should give? :lol: That resi 6 review appeared on CVG, The Guardian and also some other magazine like PSM3 or something I think. 2 days after his 8/10 he writes a piece on Eurogamer saying how the series has turned into a Dinosaur and needs freshening up!

On twitter he had a meltdown banging on about how that score was his opinion and that CVG had 'betrayed' him. What actualy happened is that he wrote a terrible review and then the comments underneath the article went mental as no one could understand why he went for that score. The CVG editor actually had to post in there to try and calm things down and he admitted he couldn't see how the review and the score matched up. After that Stanton goes ballistic. Ever since he has had it out for them and pretty much all of future probaly because they won't give him anymore work.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next