Stone Age food or the Paleolithic Diet

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • morriss 10 Oct 2012 14:17:45 71,286 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New food craze round these parts - Stone Age food.

No dairy (but rather weirdly some dishes have cream in them - don't ask me)
    No wheat, carbs

Just veg (no root veg), nuts and meat/fish. Here's the wiki - [link url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet
    ]Link[/link]

I like meat and fish.

Anyone tried it. Anyone follow it religiously? Are you dead?

Edited by morriss at 14:18:22 10-10-2012
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:21:43
    Heard about this last year, seems logical enough but it cuts out everything I love. Which is unfortunately everything. :-(
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:22:25
    It's been a food craze for the past decade or so. It's incredibly good if you have IBS or something, but that's about it. And it basically means you can't go to restaurants.
  • sport 10 Oct 2012 14:26:07 12,808 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been around for ages. You gotta be pretty disciplined to stick to it (more so than most other diets).
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:31:14
    Is it not just a variation on the whole low GI thing?

Pretty much every diet in recent years basically boils down to "don't eat carbs".
  • Zomoniac 10 Oct 2012 15:00:06 7,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Is it not just a variation on the whole low GI thing?

Pretty much every diet in recent years basically boils down to "don't eat carbs".
    Low GI allows certain grains and root vegetables (and doesn't approve of some fruits as well), there's some overlap but it's not too similar.

I tried the no carbs/keto thing but it's way too much effort. I have, however, replaced all my bread, pasta and rice with wholegrain versions and have definitely noticed a big improvement, both in digestion and quantity (I presume the fibre and whatnot is filling as I seem to need about a third less brown pasta to satisfy than I did white).
  • Benno 10 Oct 2012 15:00:51 10,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like way too much effort, life is too short
  • Zomoniac 10 Oct 2012 15:02:54 7,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Some (myself included) would argue that it's disproportionately shorter if you don't take small, sensible measures to eat well.

But paleo is excessive.
  • Carlo 10 Oct 2012 15:12:06 18,216 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I did try it about 2 million years ago, but gave up when McDonald's came to my neck of the woods and my favourite stone tool broke.

PSN ID: Djini

• Benno 10 Oct 2012 15:22:09 10,268 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Benno wrote:
    Some (myself included) would argue that it's disproportionately shorter if you don't take small, sensible measures to eat well.

But paleo is excessive.
    Dont give me that, what is it about dairy and root vegetables in isolation thats going to increase my mortality rate?
  • Zomoniac 10 Oct 2012 15:24:04 7,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Benno wrote:

But paleo is excessive.
    Dont give me that, what is it about dairy and root vegetables in isolation thats going to increase my mortality rate?
    I never said they would in isolation, I wasn't specifically referring to paleo or any particular food type, just that not giving any regard to diet at all is a false economy. It wasn't a personal slight at you, just passing comment.
  • DaM 10 Oct 2012 15:24:08 13,528 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Clogged arteries with the dairy, and explosive wind with the root vegetables.
  • elstoof 10 Oct 2012 15:25:28 8,304 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a few caveman diets out there for weight training. The theory is cavemen were big and strong, that must be because of their diet. It's hard to get woolly mammoth steaks round my way though.
  • DaM 10 Oct 2012 15:28:18 13,528 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All these diets just involve calorie reduction. Just reduce portions a wee bit, eat more fruit and veg, cut down on the crap and do a bit of exercise.

That's how I keep my lithe greyhound-like figure and 6 pack.
  • ecu 10 Oct 2012 15:36:27 77,311 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've done it, it's great so long as you don't get bored of the food. I felt noticeably healthier when I was on it but I don't have the discipline for it as a lifestyle.

Edited by ecureuil at 15:36:38 10-10-2012
  • robthehermit 10 Oct 2012 15:39:48 4,318 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need to diet. My portion control is shit though. Mrs Hermit thinks you could reasonably feed 3 people with the amount I eat for my evening meal. Probably explains why I weigh 50% more than I did 10 years ago.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Metalfish 10 Oct 2012 15:40:45 8,874 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Cavemen" ate starchy roots quite a bit, making the thought processes behind this a sack of old bollocks.

Reduce you salt intake, increase the proportion of veg in your meals and, as said above, eat more fibre. It's silly how complicated various fads try to make nutrition when the underlying biochemistry is so good at converting compounds into other ones that as long as you're getting the basics, you're probably going to be alright. The evidence for this is just how long people can go on eating crap before it becomes a problem.
  • elstoof 10 Oct 2012 15:53:49 8,304 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember reading the theory somewhere that the advent of cooking all these otherwise indigestible foods and opening up all the nutrients they contain was the catalyst for our evolution into homo sapien. So there you have it, you can be a chiselled, toned Neanderthal or east those spuds and become an intellectual fat knacker. Tough call.
  • kinky_mong 10 Oct 2012 17:33:31 10,860 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Last girl I saw was on this diet. She ditched me last week so by my warped logic I think everyone who is on this diet is a cunt.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• morriss 10 Oct 2012 17:56:53 71,286 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently there's this theory that it takes a long, long time for our body to adjust to different foodstuffs and that stone age food is best for us as eating dairy and industrial foods is actually going against what our bodies are used to.

Or something.

I'm not actually thinking of going on the diet per se, just going to let it inspire a bit, I think.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 17:57:49
  • localnotail 10 Oct 2012 18:14:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iike the whole graze diet thing of nuts & fruit, do that a lot during the day, works well, avoids sleepy patches. I wouldn't go substituting coconut oil in for butter/marg though, it's really high in the bad kind of cholesterol.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• thelzdking 10 Oct 2012 18:18:17 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Health as fashion.
  • RedSparrows 10 Oct 2012 18:23:03 24,178 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Last girl I saw was on this diet. She ditched me last week so by my warped logic I think everyone who is on this diet is a cunt.
    Nah, you are right.

Prejudice #56: diets are for cunts.
  • chopsen 10 Oct 2012 18:28:39 16,289 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Been around for ages.
    I know! Since the stone age, right?!?!

Anyway, sounds bollocks.

Most faddy diets like this work by being so restrictive that you inevitably reduce your calorie intake because the range of stuff you can eat makes you bored of eating. I remember watching a Horizon documentary on the Adkins diet where they did a study that showed that did the very same thing. And yeah, low GI is the new in thing. There is some evidence for it, fucked if I'm bothered reading it though.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 18:50:16
    Low GI stuff is, like the paleo stuff, great for IBS and whatnot. I genuinely feel much healthier, more alert and generally better if I massively cut down on carbs.

But on the flipside it's also so much effort.

/puts away remains of McDonalds breakfast
  • jonsaan 10 Oct 2012 19:01:04 25,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My wife said she wanted to try this so I whacked her over the head and dragged her off by the hair.

FCUTA!

• ZuluHero 10 Oct 2012 20:40:09 4,302 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    I did try it about 2 million years ago, but gave up when McDonald's came to my neck of the woods and my favourite stone tool broke.
    heh..i've evolved beyond it too :)
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next