Will MS require more franchises for the next console generation?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • LetsGo 10 Oct 2012 13:02:09 5,323 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First of all, lets try and leave any fanboy chat to one side.

As we enter the next phase of console gen, does MS need more excluisve franchises or is the lack big game franchises a good thing so they don't keep rehashing old games?

Sony have;
    God of War
    LBP
    GT
    Metal Gear
    Rachet
    Uncharted

All franchises which have had great PS3 games.

MS on the other hand...

Halo
    Forza
    Gears
    Fable

That's all I can think of, I do think the line up above is better and more varied on Playstations side.

What gives MS the upper hand this gen is xbox live.

Assuming Sony get their Playstation Network act together from the start with the next Playstation (and that is a big assumption I admit), will MS need more franchises to compete?
  • neilka 10 Oct 2012 13:08:24 16,464 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think Metal Gear is very exclusive these days.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• senso-ji 10 Oct 2012 13:12:11 6,000 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doesn't matter what exclusives each platform has; CoD and FIFA are the biggest sellers and they are multi-platform.
  • X201 10 Oct 2012 13:12:46 15,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why do you think they've hired Big Phil?

Its not so that they can reach their corporate bald person quota.

Edited by X201 at 13:12:55 10-10-2012
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 13:13:26
    Ms have more exclusives than that and the Sony ones are not ones to care about missing. The only two games I borrowed a ps3 for were lbp and heavy rain, both amazing. The rest are not console buying quality exclusives.
  • Carlo 10 Oct 2012 13:13:45 18,175 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LetsGo Can you do the same for Nintendo and PC?

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 10 October 2012 13:16:32
    Also the next consoles won't have many exclusive games. It will be more services exclusives and arcade game exclusives.
    It will be about the standard of hardware and price point.
    Sonys history of late is not ideal when it comes to pricing but I'm sure they learnt from the terrible ps3 pricing.
  • ronuds 10 Oct 2012 13:17:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've forgotten some for both platforms (Crackdown, Alan Wake, InFamous, KZ, etc.) and have included a franchise which isn't exclusive.

Soooo... yeah. MS did better than they get credit for, but they don't stick with their new franchises unless they sell like Halo, unlike Sony who will make a sequel to a game that sold 1m copies (which I'm not saying is a bad thing).
  • von_Doll 10 Oct 2012 13:18:32 2,114 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was always more variety in the Sony franchises, and generally speaking, they tended to be the best in their genre.

Aside from (arguably) Halo, MS exclusives can generally be rivaled or even bettered by third-party peers.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 13:30:39
    von_Doll wrote:
    There was always more variety in the Sony franchises, and generally speaking, they tended to be the best in their genre.

Aside from (arguably) Halo, MS exclusives can generally be rivaled or even bettered by third-party peers.
    Sony doesn't have a better 3rd person shooter exclusive than gears.
  • mikew1985 10 Oct 2012 13:30:51 12,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think regardless of the existing lists of "exclusives", both Sony and MS need to come up with exclusive new IP for the next console generation.

What we need is the next generations Mass Effect(to use an example - it was announced as an xbox exclusive and a new IP near the beginning of the 360 cycle), we do not actually need/want a new Mass Effect or Uncharted sequel.

So in my opinion, existing exclusives be damned, I'm interested in the new exclusives yet to be revealed.

/waits eternity

Edited by mikew1985 at 13:31:28 10-10-2012
  • Tonka 10 Oct 2012 13:31:25 21,164 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have they even announced any plans for a next gen conslol?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• neilka 10 Oct 2012 13:32:34 16,464 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, there's the Wihaha no I can't do it.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Raiko101 10 Oct 2012 13:33:54 6,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not actually that big a fan of the console exclusives i've played. AT least not the 'biggest' named exclusives. With the exception of Killzone, and the creation tools in LBP, i've played them and moved on quite quickly. They didn't influence which consoles I bought this generation and they wont do next generation either.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Moot_Point 10 Oct 2012 13:35:01 4,493 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am sure there are more PC games that can be dumbed down for the console tards. So yes.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• mikew1985 10 Oct 2012 13:38:45 12,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Excellent contribution Moot. Thank God we PC gamers have the likes of you to represent us to the world.
  • mikew1985 10 Oct 2012 13:40:50 12,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I'm not actually that big a fan of the console exclusives i've played. AT least not the 'biggest' named exclusives. With the exception of Killzone, and the creation tools in LBP, i've played them and moved on quite quickly. They didn't influence which consoles I bought this generation and they wont do next generation either.
    There is definitely something wrong with you if you found Killzone to be the only interesting exclusive you've played.

Have you played literally any other shooter?
  • Zomoniac 10 Oct 2012 13:41:10 7,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    von_Doll wrote:

Uncharted is much better than Gears IMO.
  • von_Doll 10 Oct 2012 13:45:03 2,114 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    revan8 wrote:

I never said it did.

But if I had, that's as clear cut a horses-for-courses as you're going to get.
  • asphaltcowboy 10 Oct 2012 13:46:19 5,143 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To the OP: Do you somehow imagine they won't have new IP?
  • mikew1985 10 Oct 2012 13:47:20 12,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    revan8 wrote:
    von_Doll wrote:

Not as a shooter it's not. Gunplay wise Gears destroys it.

Having said that I can easily understand why someone would prefer the Uncharted series (I think I do myself but when I think about actually playing the games, I'd rather go back and play Gears than experience UC again).

Edit: In fact I think Gears 3 is flat out superior to UC3 in nearly all departments, but horses for courses.

Edited by mikew1985 at 13:49:42 10-10-2012
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Oct 2012 13:49:49 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If they launch the 720 with a proper Crackdown sequel then I'm in.
  • psychokitten Moderator 10 Oct 2012 13:51:31 7,794 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All it needs is another Viva Pinata
  • kinky_mong 10 Oct 2012 13:52:01 10,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    revan8 wrote:
    von_Doll wrote:

Agreed. After playing the first Gears even hearing the game's name makes me shudder as I have flashbacks of the awful "Look at all dat joooice!" section. The Uncharted games are excellent though.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Zomoniac 10 Oct 2012 13:52:17 7,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest they both need a full set of new brands. I'm bored of that lot. Nice to see Sony getting a start in with The Last Of Us and Beyond, but whilst I can understand the need for a slightly improved Forza/GT every couple of years (or every 20 years in GT's case), Halo, God of War and Gears have been bled dry, they can't continue to sell systems in the future on those names unless the games get some very, very drastic changes.

I've played through and loved every game in those three series, but with all having new versions on the way, apart from some slight intrigue in Halo 4, I'm utterly indifferent. I spent a while watching Gears 4 and GoW Ascension at the Expo and if you'd told me both they were the previous versions I'd have just assumed I'd forgotten the scene and thought nothing of it.

This gen started off so well with so much new big name stuff. Look at 2007, we got the first next gen Halo, arguably the dawn of modern CoD with CoD4, debuts for Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock and Uncharted.

Look at the big upcoming games for the next six months. Halo, CoD, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Gears. The big releases in the first half of the year were Mass Effect and Uncharted. We had that great period in 07/08 where all these new things were coming at incredible rates, now it's basically 07/08 again each year but with a bigger number.
  • X201 10 Oct 2012 13:53:04 15,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    You are Tom Bramwell. I claim my five pounds.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 13:53:19
    I actually loved the first one. Very relaxing.
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Oct 2012 13:54:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There are, of course, roughly a gazillion XBLA exclusives which everyone always forgets. With those getting bigger and better all the time, it's not difficult to imagine them putting even more effort into that end of things next time around too. Keep the discs for the jumbo-selling shooty-shooty stuff, stick the weirder stuff in the download queue.
  • Zomoniac 10 Oct 2012 13:54:13 7,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    This. But if there was another one it would be some Kinect-filled pile of arsewank.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 13:55:02
    I really couldn't give a flying fudge about the existing franchises, I'm looking forward to the new stuff.

Well, apart from Uncharted 4 and Halo 5.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous