Why don't the rest of Europe have cats eyes? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Salaman 9 Oct 2012 13:31:23 18,870 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No one was driving at 160kph in 1935, thickums.
    If you're referring to me. I don't think the speed limit has recently been increased to 160 kph either.

Not sure what exactly makes you feel you're such an Ubermensch that you must work in an insult in reply to every comment I make on here. It's easy enough to do though. Twunt! See? Not all that hard.. I just don't quite see the point.

Why not lay off your superiority complex for a while. You're just some guy on an internet forum, just as everyone else here.
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 13:32:52 86,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually am better than everyone else here, but I try not to make a big deal about it.
  • Popzeus 9 Oct 2012 13:38:24 8,272 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cubby \o/

Also, mainland Europe surely has enough stray cats knocking about for them to use the actual eyes of actual cats? Save a bit of money.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Tonka 9 Oct 2012 13:44:42 20,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could snowplows have anything to do with it? Snow in general would render them useless. In Sweden we have poles on the side of the road. That way you see the reflective stuff even after a few feet of snow.

I have seen the nifty things in the middle of the road. Look good by I wonder what this would do to them.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Carlo 9 Oct 2012 13:46:35 17,948 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's because we invented them and everyone else would rather die in a burning wreck than give us acknowledgement.
    Cats-eye invention is patented isn't it? Maybe they didn't want to pay up.

Also, did you know different colours represented different things in cats-eyes? Well of course you did if you are a licences car driver, it's part of the highway code.

/is the son of a Driving instructor.

PSN ID: Djini

• Tonka 9 Oct 2012 13:48:52 20,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Carlo Name checking the highway code? I think you are taking water over your head.
    /Is the son of a Diving instructor

• ram 9 Oct 2012 13:51:24 3,471 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they have cats eyes in Katmandu what do they have in Japan?
  • Dirtbox 9 Oct 2012 14:02:45 77,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Only the name is trademarked, the eyes themselves aren't.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Tonka 9 Oct 2012 14:03:31 20,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Since we don't speak english in the rest of europe that can hardly be the reason...

• Dirtbox 9 Oct 2012 14:11:11 77,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hence the question. IMHO, they're vital to road safety. I'm sick of motorway turnoffs that need you to be going at 20kph otherwise you end up in the ditch while I'm at it. Every third service station it seems there's another car on it's roof.

• President_Weasel 9 Oct 2012 14:24:39 8,977 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No one was driving at 160kph in 1935, and no, the reflectors you're talking about are a pale, shit immitation.
    Cat's eyes are pure genius. They're reflectors which live in a little housing in the centre of the road - if a car runs over them, a) there's a little bump, reminding the driver they're not in their lane, and b) the cat's eye gets pushed down into the housing, past a little brushy thing which cleans it.

Other, lesser countries like America do not have cat's eyes, and the only explanation I can think of is that other countries are rubbish.
    In all seriousness, American highways are shit.
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 14:29:21 86,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously, it's because they're British. It's the same reason that Concorde died. If the yanks had invented it we'd all be whizzing everywhere in supersonic planes now, but nooooooooo...
  • Tonka 9 Oct 2012 14:32:10 20,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Concorde was French!

• mcmonkeyplc 9 Oct 2012 14:32:10 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's right Kalel..just like ARM chips. If the yanks had invented them then everything would have them included but...Oh WAIT!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Whizzo 9 Oct 2012 14:33:08 43,036 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Concorde was Anglo/French!
    Fixed.

This space left intentionally blank.

• kalel 9 Oct 2012 14:38:33 86,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah cos everyone loves the French. That definitely helped.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 14:54:40
    An obvious answer would be the sheer amount of roads they have coupled with the distance of them, and what a staggeringly industrial operation it would be to get it sorted for even just the major roads. They probably don't have the budget for it even if they wanted to.
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 15:01:49 86,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But all roads will have regular maintenance, even if it's just done in sections every couple of years. As a long term plan I could see it getting done.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 15:11:29
    Maybe, but even then, long term maintenance tends to be just filling in the cracks with tar than actually digging stuff up and doing anything properly. Plus, I dunno how it is in mainland Europe, but in the UK it takes them fucking ages to do anything. The road I used to live on was closed for about five weeks doing "regular maintenance", and that was just a two/three hundred yard stretch. And it's even worse in the US. They put a stop sign in at the corner of our road - took about three weeks. And that's literally just a stop sign in the corner and repainting the road.

By the time they finished we'd all be in hovercars.

Edited by meme at 15:12:06 09-10-2012
  • Salaman 9 Oct 2012 16:09:59 18,870 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No one was driving at 160kph in 1935, and no, the reflectors you're talking about are a pale, shit immitation.
    Well the little posts with reflectors have been there for decades, so hardly imitations.

I've driven on roads in the UK that have cat eyes and they are indeed fantastic. I can only hope that they start adding them here when they do maintenance on major roads but the fact that they've been about for a few years in the UK and I've never seen them here doesn't give me much hope.
  • Carlo 9 Oct 2012 16:11:57 17,948 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    Only the name is trademarked, the eyes themselves aren't.
    The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Boothtown, Halifax, West Yorkshire, England. When the tram-lines were removed in the nearby suburb of Ambler Thorn, he realised that he had been using the polished strips of steel to navigate.[1] The name "cat's eye" comes from Shaw's inspiration for the device: the eyeshine reflecting from the eyes of a cat. In 1934, he patented his invention (patent No. 436,290 and 457,536)

I know, wikipedia is not proof!

http://www.innovateus.net/invention/cat-eyes
    When was the patent granted on the Cat Eyes?
    Percy Shaw was granted a patent for his idea cat eyes in 1934.

Edited by Carlo at 16:13:31 09-10-2012

PSN ID: Djini

• Ginger 9 Oct 2012 16:35:46 6,827 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Percy Shaw was granted a patent for his idea cat eyes in 1934.
    Which means the original patent is long past expired and anyone is free to reproduce it.

London open taekwondo champion

• President_Weasel 9 Oct 2012 18:18:55 8,977 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw a program (I am going to go out on a limb and say it was one of those excellent Rich Hall ones, this one being about driving and cars in American culture) which said the Interstates were built quickly and cheaply, so they don't have the proper underpinnings and substrates and what have you that decently-built British roads have.
    Hence why they're always cracked and knackered and always being repaired.
  • spindizzy 9 Oct 2012 18:23:23 6,427 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Could snowplows have anything to do with it? Snow in general would render them useless. In Sweden we have poles on the side of the road. That way you see the reflective stuff even after a few feet of snow.

I have seen the nifty things in the middle of the road. Look good by I wonder what this would do to them.
    I think snowploughs are very likely the reason, here in Geneva at least! Good thinking that (wo)man!
  • Dirtbox 9 Oct 2012 21:10:34 77,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    From the ever plausible wikipedia "Cat's eyes are particularly valuable in fog and are largely resistant to damage from snow ploughs."

• Tonka 10 Oct 2012 08:59:12 20,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Largely.
    Increasingly.
    Maybe.

• onestepfromlost 10 Oct 2012 09:36:34 2,039 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    No one was driving at 160kph in 1935
    What is this kph you speak of?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next