Truly Immersive Game-worlds

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Zidargh 6 Oct 2012 13:33:56 1,664 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not going to make some huge sentimental thread about the event but for the reader's understanding; On my way back from Oktoberfest, I received the awful news that my 47-year old father had suddenly died sometime around Monday.

Not being one to escape from things, but also someone who needs to keep their mind busy and active, I was hoping to pass those quiet periods totally immersed in something and as an avid gamer I was hoping to reclaim the feelings I had like when I first played FF7.

As such, could people recommend to me a game that is capable of truly sucking the player in. I have a PS3, and am soon to no doubt acquire my dad's XBOX. I was playing Dark Souls, but I'm not sure that's going to be the best thing right now, ha.

P.S: It really is not my intention to sound like BlizeH in any shape or form, I just want some strong personal recommendations from busy people whose imaginations have been captured. Maybe I should get that To the Moon or whatever it was called?
  • bladdard 6 Oct 2012 13:38:55 824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, he was taken far too early.

Fallout 3 and NV and infamous 2 all really sucked me in and held my attention long after I'd completed the main quests.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2012 13:46:04
    Minecraft would be one recommendation I would if you've not ventured into that before. The world you create really absorbs you if you put enough time and effort into it.

Sorry to hear about your loss, keep chipper old chap :)
  • Rusty_M 6 Oct 2012 13:47:27 4,360 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you play on PC at all? The X series (X3 Terran Conflict could be a good place to start) can suck your life away and immerse you for hours. You're free to make your own way in the game universe almost endlessly. It can also be played just fine with a keyboard and mouse.

Dark Souls will also make you obsess over it's every detail.

Really sorry to hear about your father. That sounds like it must have come as a shock.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• hypernova 6 Oct 2012 13:48:30 1,967 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry to hear about your dad :/

Try Enslaved.
  • Tiger_Walts 6 Oct 2012 14:22:11 16,530 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any world that provides depth through either content and lore that needs to be discovered or any world that has agents that dynamically interact with each other are sure to be immersive, but only so far as the player is willing to invest themselves.

Dwarf Fortress does both. Not only is the world procedurally generated but so is its history and the factions. It then goes a step further and then generates more content as you play. Dwarfs will craft and carve depictions of events they've experienced. A deeply traumatised fortress will be full of carvings of all manner of horrific events. Or maybe just images of cats if you suffer a catsplosion.

The Elder Scrolls games (and in turn the recent Fallout games) fill their worlds with lots of little stories and a chunk of discoverable lore. But there's no procedural stuff here and once you've seen all the authored content these worlds seem barren. The shift from a world of potential to one that offers nothing new can be quite sudden and jarring. (Until you start installing mods)

The I most immersive game not yet made would be a mix of Eve, Elder Scrolls, Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft. An auto-generating world, full of factions that react to the world and are driven by dynamic goals, and you in the middle with free agency to do as you will. Join a faction. Live as a hermit. Thieve for a living. Live on the streets and beg. Join an army. Set up a mining operation. Set up a construction operation and bid for contracts. Become a merchant.

For those who need a story arc, there can be AI agent that introduces stressors to the factions. An invading army. A strange disease. A new religion. Drought. A coup. Any one of these will affect your game, directly or indirectly. The AI agent could be tweaked so that it can drive you towards the core of the issue, make your direct involvement an imperative. Or it can just be there to stop the world from becoming too static.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Bremenacht 6 Oct 2012 14:26:32 15,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry to hear that, Zidargh. 47 is too young to go.

I've no idea what to suggest. Journey?

Maybe just try playing whatever your Dad played.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Syrette 6 Oct 2012 14:29:26 41,932 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SHENMUE (1 and 2)

• DUFFMAN5 6 Oct 2012 14:36:24 13,831 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry to hear about your loss.
    360: Fable* games, nice and 'toony graphics and John Cleese !
    The Fallout games are huge time sinks.

*III is not as bad as people will tell you, lots of fun to be had. Fable II is a really enjoyable game

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• jabberwoky 6 Oct 2012 19:01:40 441 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you liked FF 7, replaying any final fantasy up to say, 12 (less 10-2) is a possibility, they are all very replayable.

The nearest feel I got to FF on todays consoles is lost oddyssey on the 360.
  • Metalfish 6 Oct 2012 19:03:41 8,704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Skyrim did it for me. Planescape is like nothing else in terms of sheer story.

Alternatively try number-treadmills like diablo 2. Or a book.
  • superdelphinus 6 Oct 2012 19:06:42 7,281 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Assassins creed 2
  • ecureuil 6 Oct 2012 19:14:51 76,038 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry for your loss, Zidargh.

I'd just echo what others are saying in Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Red Dead Redemption also has a unique and memorable game world, but it's not an RPG.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2012 19:27:22 24,607 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm hoping Dishonored is about to offer up just that.

Failing that plunge yourself into the world of Mass Effect. All three are immense and will take your mind off anything.
  • heyyo 6 Oct 2012 19:30:57 14,374 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fallout 3, RDR & GTA4. The latter being particularly engaging as it's not such a sparse environment like the other two.

Worth a read...

Edited by heyyo at 19:32:56 06-10-2012
  • monkehhh 6 Oct 2012 19:33:59 3,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Though they're not perfect games, I'd give anything to be able to completely wipe the Fallouts and Elder Scrolls games from my mind and rediscover them all over again. The first time I tried them they took over my life for a while.

To The Moon is very good, and very powerful, though there isn't too much 'game' to get lost in, just emotions and story.

Sorry for your loss.
  • Zidargh 6 Oct 2012 19:34:06 1,664 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thank you all very much - not just for the recommendations, but also the kind words.

They do soften the blow.

I've just had a thought. I will be able to get access to a Wii and I've heard Xenoblade Chronicles is wonderful. Do you think that's a good option?
  • monkehhh 6 Oct 2012 19:34:58 3,145 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zidargh I was going to mention that, but you didn't mention a Wii. If you can, you should - it's brilliant!
  • Fonzie 6 Oct 2012 19:50:38 1,713 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm currently playing Tales of Vesperia and that has a great story and world to get lost in. Lots to do and see.
  • Afiddes 6 Oct 2012 19:52:19 1,164 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would say red dead is a good limnersibe game and honestly I regularly found myself just wondering around on my horse taking pot shots at random animals and as said above skyrim allows you to just wonder around and everywhere you go there is something new to see/ do

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• ResidentKnievel 6 Oct 2012 19:58:26 5,889 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mount and Blade (on hardest difficulty settings)

You'll get knocked out, taken prisoner and have all your stuff stolen countlessly but every time you'll dust yourself off, get back on your horse* and start recruiting a revenge army.

*if it hasn't been stolen

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ibenam 6 Oct 2012 20:44:16 1,280 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2nd vote for Journey.

Its a spiritual journey as well as a game.

You can just sit down in the world and reflect on your life.

Edited by ibenam at 20:54:53 06-10-2012
  • Deleted user 6 October 2012 20:48:34
    Sorry for your loss man.

Definitely Journey. Also Xenoblade Chronicles and even though it isn't out ye the HD remake of Okami.

Also lone survivor is a brilliant one as well.
  • disusedgenius 6 Oct 2012 20:57:53 5,151 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The best ones are actually usually the ones of your own making - Civ, Total War etc.

But as a suggestion, I actually found GTA 4 to be great for that. As a dip-in-and-out game it's a bit bloated - but if you sink into it, learn the place, meet the people and whatnot I actually found it incredibly engrossing.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2012 21:09:43
    +1 for Xenoblade Chronicles

Also the original Metroid Prime! Its home to Tallon IV, the most beautiful, immersive game world Ive ever visited.

Ahh, Phendrana Drifts, gaming nirvana right there.
  • Rusty_M 6 Oct 2012 22:36:40 4,360 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    +1 for the Wii metroids. Also, Okami.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Deleted user 6 October 2012 22:57:10
    Bioshock and heavy rain

requies aeterna

Edited by revan8 at 22:59:58 06-10-2012
  • figaro7 6 Oct 2012 22:57:51 1,345 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry for your loss, a very young age... I do agree with xenoblade chronicles and dark souls, both of these games took over my life last year and when i wasnt playing them they were all i could think about. Both are meaty 50+ hour adventures to boot. Also games like skyrim, fallout 3, zelda skyward sword, twilight princess, monster hunter 3, lost odyssey, borderlands 1+2, could suck you in for hours on end, plenty to choose from.
  • RelaxedMikki 6 Oct 2012 23:28:01 892 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The motorcycle game Trials, maybe? It's not an adventure game, but it can be very immersive., although not everyone gets into it.

You can get your reactive mind quite focussed on the game play whilst your emotions sort themselves out behind the scenes?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous