RE games blamed for particularly unpleasant murder

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • docrob 6 Oct 2012 11:03:14 289 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19846989

Can someone please explain to me what the Resident Evil series has to do with torturing and killing innocent people? I haven't played all of them (finished 1 and 2 and played some of 4) but I don't remember this being part of the subject matter at all. They're zombie games, FFS. There are plenty of films that glorify this sort of thing - I'd really like to know why an innocent video game franchise is getting the blame.
  • craigy Staff 6 Oct 2012 11:11:16 7,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From the quotes from the trial that I've read one of the attackers said that the murder scene looked like something out of a Resident Evil game. It's not being attributed as an influence for the attack, as far as I know.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2012 11:19:07
    "One of his killers, all of whom lived in St Nicholas Road, later compared the alcohol-fuelled attack to Resident Evil, a graphic series of video games which has inspired five horror films."

Might be worth learning how to read an article thoroughly.
  • nickthegun 6 Oct 2012 11:21:04 60,135 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When did gamers become such sensitive little flowers?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Raiko101 6 Oct 2012 11:37:48 6,341 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Once once hit a friend over the head with a shoe, but I was just referencing Wayne's World 2.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• skuzzbag 6 Oct 2012 11:40:55 5,648 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow what the hell did he do to deserve that and how can 3 people be so deranged on alcohol to do that?

I mean one psycho is understandable but three of them?

Edited by skuzzbag at 11:41:28 06-10-2012
  • Trafford 6 Oct 2012 11:47:05 5,807 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alcohol should be the headlining factor.
  • docrob 6 Oct 2012 12:17:34 289 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    efebayor wrote:
    "One of his killers, all of whom lived in St Nicholas Road, later compared the alcohol-fuelled attack to Resident Evil, a graphic series of video games which has inspired five horror films."

Yeah, thanks for that. Firstly, the journalist is clearly trying to connect the two ideas to make the headline more lurid. Secondly, many people won't read the article thoroughly and will believe that the games were responsible for influencing the killers.

The fact that one of the perpetrators mentioned Resident Evil once in a descriptive sense doesn't justify its inclusion in the headline. Did you ever watch 'Bowling for Columbine?'

Edited by docrob at 12:18:50 06-10-2012
  • Moot_Point 6 Oct 2012 12:20:32 4,160 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    efebayor wrote:

Hehe!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• nickthegun 6 Oct 2012 12:21:14 60,135 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think a killer comparing the scene of the crime to one from resident evil does justify its inclusion. If he had compared it to a scene from hostel I would fully expect them to include it in exactly the same way.

It's not like they found a copy at their house and ran with it. The killer explicitly compared his crime to that of a video game.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• neilka 6 Oct 2012 12:24:28 16,101 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If he'd just been playing RE6 then there's not a jury that could convict.

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• PenguinJim 6 Oct 2012 12:25:16 5,874 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're called the "Resident Evil Killers" in the headline, which suggests that they DON'T like Resident Evil and therefore want to kill it. They are clearly crazy psychos. Ipso facto deniro, not liking Resident Evil means you're crazy.

The journalist is obviously spreading the idea that liking Resident Evil games is normal. Finally!
  • DaM 6 Oct 2012 12:51:07 13,264 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe they were trying on the old Zombie defence?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next