WoW gamer stands for office in the US, attacked by Republicans

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Ginger 5 Oct 2012 15:13:12 6,826 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19842704 and http://www.colleensworld.com/

They've done a pretty good job of taking comments out of context to make her look like some kind of nutter, but seriously - attacking someone who plays WoW for "not living in the real world"?

I hope this backfires on them in a massive way

London open taekwondo champion

• Ginger 5 Oct 2012 15:19:54 6,826 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• Ginger 5 Oct 2012 15:21:05 6,826 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    that blog is the republican attack site. They've trawled any comments she's ever made on a load of guild forums and other sites and presented them out of context.

• Elathron 5 Oct 2012 15:23:25 1,189 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ginger - Funnily enough, that's exactly what the republicans are at all times: out of context.

Edited by Elathron at 15:23:35 05-10-2012

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• dsmx 5 Oct 2012 15:25:20 7,536 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm finding it rather hypocritical of the republicans attacking someone for not living in the real world.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Vortex808 5 Oct 2012 15:26:39 6,897 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, in the bbc article there is a quote from someone with a cracker of a name:

Gaming researcher Ladan Cockshut said the row revealed how gaming can be seen as a bad thing to do.

:D

/giggles like a 12 year old

Edited by Vortex808 at 15:27:06 05-10-2012
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Oct 2012 15:30:17 25,366 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would you want a room-dwelling pasty mouth-breather with cheese powder smeared round their face in charge of your home town?

I'm with the Republicans on this one.
  • Stickman 5 Oct 2012 15:31:42 29,643 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Words can hurt, you know?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• glaeken 5 Oct 2012 15:34:25 11,080 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's actually quite funny. I mean when you think about some of things gamers do say in gaming discussions it's a fantastic place to trawl for comments that can be repeated outside of their original context.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 15:59:29 7,118 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is going to come up a lot more frequently now.

Anyone who wants to run for office is going to either have been very mature or careful when they were younger and never posted anything on the net which could be used against them, or go to massive lengths to hide their online activities.

Wonder how many future politicians and actors have posted their naughty bits on Reddit's gonewild section for instance.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 16:00:11 05-10-2012
  • fergal_oc 5 Oct 2012 16:05:12 2,763 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    This is going to come up a lot more frequently now.

Anyone who wants to run for office is going to either have been very mature or careful when they were younger and never posted anything on the net which could be used against them, or go to massive lengths to hide their online activities.

Wonder how many future politicians and actors have posted their naughty bits on Reddit's gonewild section for instance.
    And that's something everyone should be worried about. Quite how it's acceptable to preudice someone on what they do with their free time I don't know, if it's not race or obesity it has to be something else always doesn't it.

And having such a spotless history means one of three things: you've either had a far too sheltered upbringing and would have no idea how the real world works; you're insanely religious or you're an expert in hiding things. Not sure any of those are good qualities to run for government :)
  • FogHeart 5 Oct 2012 17:09:22 944 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hypocrites. "Don't vote for the video game player. Vote for me, I like to shoot guns in my spare time!"
  • ZuluHero 5 Oct 2012 17:30:18 3,948 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This will surely backfire - don't they realise how many people play wow.

Talk about landslide.
  • spamdangled 5 Oct 2012 17:30:35 27,266 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    He's an avid WoW player, you say? Execute the bastard and give his organs to someone who actually wants a life.
    And how is this different from an avid COD player? Or avid player of any other game?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kinky_mong 5 Oct 2012 17:41:06 9,913 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Would you want a room-dwelling pasty mouth-breather with cheese powder smeared round their face in charge of your home town?

I'm with the Republicans on this one.
    This.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• w00t 5 Oct 2012 19:40:28 11,041 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    *cough* American diplomat killed in Lybia recently was a bigtime player in Eve *cough*

Edited by w00t at 19:40:49 05-10-2012

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Gaol 5 Oct 2012 19:47:02 2,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm a bit split on this. I read the article on the main page expecting to be annoyed by lots of anti videogame bile.

But this lady is a social worker, a prospective foster parent and is running for the SENATE.

There's no way someone in so many responsible positions should have time to respec her level 85 rogue for more dps.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 19:48:39
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Graveland wrote:
    He's an avid WoW player, you say? Execute the bastard and give his organs to someone who actually wants a life.
    And how is this different from an avid COD player? Or avid player of any other game?
    Because being described as an 'avid' WoW player is in another world of reclusive social retard than being an 'avid' CoD etc. player. It's renowned for being a time sink, so not comparable really.
  • graysonavich 5 Oct 2012 20:09:48 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "Hey I played Football Manager for 20 hours this weekend!"

"Wow bro datz hardcore lol wot a gr8 game"

"Hey I played WoW for 20 hours this weekend!"

"Fucking no lifer"
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 20:12:42
    Yeah, that doesn't work.
  • graysonavich 5 Oct 2012 20:14:42 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sweeping generalisation quota already hit?
  • bbvDJC 5 Oct 2012 20:14:48 1,679 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    "Hey I played Football Manager for 20 hours this weekend!"

"Wow bro datz hardcore lol wot a gr8 game"

"Hey I played WoW for 20 hours this weekend!"

"Fucking no lifer"
    This.

I can play WoW for a few hours a week and people still say I have no life but what's the difference to playing something, like fifa? People put a lot more time into games like that but nothing is said about them.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 20:19:46
    Well no. No right thinking person is ever going to congratulate someone for playing a game that obsessively. The difference is that WoW is lauded for being such a time sink, I'm sure if I wondered into the WoW thread the first thing I would see is people boasting about how the game is pointless until you are at a certain level/played up to a certain point. So when you describe someone as an 'avid' WoW player they don't have to be 'let my kid starve to death while I raided' levels of desperation to assume that a bit too much of their life has been spent on it.
  • neilka 5 Oct 2012 20:22:17 15,556 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least she doesn't play as a fucking panda.
  • disusedgenius 5 Oct 2012 20:25:26 5,188 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    The difference is that WoW is lauded for being such a time sink.
    Of all the differences between WoW an Football Manager THAT is the one you're going with?!
  • graysonavich 5 Oct 2012 20:25:39 7,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The thread is full of casual WoW players who are just enjoying their leveling experience at a rate that suits them in fact.

Only about 3 or 4 of the posters there actually raid. On average you'll look at 8 or 9 hours a week during "raid season". I guess the same amount of time you'd put into a fortnightly hollywood game during the week/end? I've no idea how long you get get £40 these days.

I'd be exhausted if I was a WoW apologist. Sure there are some extreme examples on both ends. But it's charming when it comes from gamers themselves.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 20:30:55
    Wait, I don't have a problem with WoW. I'm just pointing out the difference between being an 'avid' WoW player and being an 'avid' anyothergameintheworld player. Massive generalisation of course, but it tends to stand up when you look at the general WoW chat compared to other games.

Anyway, it doesn't excuse her treatment!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous