owning retail copy = owning digital copy

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • LetsGo 4 Oct 2012 13:30:40 5,217 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone else think it would be REALLY cool if retail copies of games included a code you that you can download if for free on XBL.

I would even pay an extra fiver if I had the option too!

It would be really great to have the games I'm currently playing most on my hard drive without the need of discs to start it up.

EDIT; of course this could be abused, perhaps you can tie your game to your XBL gamertag somehow and do it that way?

Edited by LetsGo at 13:33:12 04-10-2012
  • elstoof 4 Oct 2012 13:33:59 7,347 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Microsoft think it would be even cooler if you paid full retail price for both copies.
  • andytheadequate 4 Oct 2012 13:35:23 8,174 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But everyone would just sell their copies physical copies. Publishers are trying to kill the second hand market, not encourage it, so it will never happen unfortunately
  • warlockuk 4 Oct 2012 13:36:19 19,164 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So... that would negate the need for the disc version at all besides installing? You install, put the code in and bang - no need for the disc. Which you can then sell back at Game or somewhere.

Tie the XBL tag / device ID to it? Cool. So you need an always-on internet connection to play?

:)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• LetsGo 4 Oct 2012 13:40:59 5,217 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This would HELP against the second hand market.

Want to only play the game off of a disc? Fine, do nothing, want to download and play it without a disc? Then tie the game to your XBL account and it can no longer he sold to someone else.

I would 100% do this as I love the simplicity of just selecting the game rather than rummaging through my collection to find it.
  • pinebear 4 Oct 2012 13:43:14 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Typical LetsGo thread about the death of the second hand market.

• Widge Moderator 4 Oct 2012 13:49:41 13,584 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with your sentiment. I'm all for digital collections of many things, either owned or "as a service" stuff.

There is that big bugbear though, how do you stop it being exploited?

People renting games in the hope of getting one which hasn't been digitised.
    Returning games to shops would start to become a logistical nightmare as users could effectively buy a game, rip a copy and return.
    The second hand market would THRIVE as it becomes flooded with physical only discarded copies, and the price of the title would plummet... not so hot for publishers.
    Where do you police the locking of the game? Online only, intrinsic ID's linked to distinct copies of the game?

It is why people's demand to be able to "just" copy PSP physical games to PSPgo and PSvita has been a silly on in my mind. People see as far as "I want to transfer a copy to my digital platform, I own it, let me do it" without thinking of the wider repercussions.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• octo 4 Oct 2012 13:51:05 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A service like Ultraviolet for games would go a long way to making content more accessible.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Oct 2012 13:51:34 13,584 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In fact there is a rather simple solution to this. Buy a digital copy and not a physical one!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Afiddes 4 Oct 2012 13:51:47 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @LetsGo

'what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.'

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• oceanmotion 4 Oct 2012 14:54:50 15,944 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You might as well go the PC route with a key.

Just have better starting prices and sales. I don't know what they have to fear. Retail aren't going to shut up shop just because second hand is gone, might hurt but they will adapt as will the consumers and the market. Just do it already.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Oct 2012 15:00:33 8,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    In fact there is a rather simple solution to this. Buy a digital copy and not a physical one!
    That was my thought too.
  • LetsGo 4 Oct 2012 15:17:20 5,217 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    That was my thought too.
    There's a number of reasons why I'd prefer the disc;

- if the servers go down or are is discontinued I can still play a game

- Christmas or birthday presents I'm given

- I do love to have a physical game collection

And most importantly, hard drive space. I'd say there are four or five games I play around a three month period which I may have installed but if I fancy going back to an older game, I wouldnt need to wait two or three hours to download it.
  • Zomoniac 4 Oct 2012 15:39:14 7,831 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    There's a number of reasons why I'd prefer the disc;

- if the servers go down or are is discontinued I can still play a game
    In which case the disc is not being authenticated online, which was your solution to the "redeem digital and trade it in" issue highlighted by everyone else. I'm not entirely sure you've thought this through...
  • jabberwoky 4 Oct 2012 19:59:45 522 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No, I can see the point. Its such a drag to get off the sofa and spend second after long hard second picking out a disk from your collection.
  • superdelphinus 4 Oct 2012 20:44:07 8,059 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    isn't this just what a lot of Blu-ray films do now, with their triple format sexiness
  • Derblington 4 Oct 2012 20:49:22 21,622 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Technically, yes, but for completely different purposes.
  • Widge Moderator 5 Oct 2012 08:46:32 13,584 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jabberwoky wrote:
    No, I can see the point. Its such a drag to get off the sofa and spend second after long hard second picking out a disk from your collection.
    Funnily, I did end up playing Warhawk a shit load when it came out as it was just there on my HDD waiting for me.

I do like having a wadge of games there ready to just pick one from. I was skipping around a load of stuff I'd grabbed via plus in the last few days. It's going to be great playing the likes of RDR on a late night session without the disc drive thrashing around.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• mrharvest 5 Oct 2012 09:17:35 5,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like the idea presented in the op. Disk copy entitles to redownloading the title in exchange for a nominal transfer fee. Yeah. I would understand that if this copy needed to be authenticated. It would probably mean that the disk copy would also need to authenticate itself when it is installed (but not when it's run) to ensure that there is only one copy of it in use.

From a consumer's perspective I'd prefer if: digital copies could be transferred (i.e. I don't require copying but transferring) easily from one platform to the next, and digital copies could be transferred in exchange for money to another owner. The platform owner / IP owner might take a small exchange fee (maybe like 5-10%) to facilitate moving the bits from my platform to the next and for authenticating the transfer. Sure. That sound fair to me.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next