When did Eurogamer become Gamasutra? Page 6

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

    Next
  • SClaw 5 Oct 2012 08:32:28 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Clive_Dunn And don't forget the vilifying of anyone who doesn't agree with the collective. You can't have a Left Club if you don't do that!

    Left and Right. Both sides. All twats.
  • localnotail 5 Oct 2012 08:42:19 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I've always thought the people being exploited are the nerds they flirt with personally. They're the ones paying, not being paid.
    This.
    It angers me that game companies think the best way to sell videogames is to have scantily clad girls tell me to. Isn't the game good enough on its own?
    +1, but it's the oldest advertising trick in the book.

    I'm not a huge fan of glamour (/stealth ugly post etc.) but it has its place. The issue with I have with this, and page 3 et al is in the delivery. It should be an opt in, not opt out situation. So I don't think there is a place for it in the main arena, which should be family friendly IMO. Seems odd to ban them from the over-18s section though, unless in-game objectification of women is also to be addressed.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • SClaw 5 Oct 2012 09:20:03 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @localnotail And what about the tremendous violence? Are boobs or mass shootings more offensive?

    Iím trying not to comment on that issue too much, but the hypocrisy of it really does piss me off something rotten.

    If you canít have an under dressed woman walking around, should you really have someone dressed as a soldier walking around? There was a Master Chief there, right? In the context of that game the character was recruited as a child soldier and brainwashed into fighting against aliens Ė basically a nice one species versus the other racist war using illegally enhanced child solduers. Nice family friendly character there.

    If you just read that and thought it sounded stupid of me to bring it up, thatís pretty much how I feel every time I see someone whinge about booth babes. Both arguments are stupid.

    EG has made a commercial choice to exclude them and thatís their choice, but donít throw morals in my face while you continue to support an industry obsessed with violence. All it is is EGís commcerial preference. Nothing more. And thatís fine, because itís their show - just don't try to put a halo on them for it.
  • pinebear 5 Oct 2012 09:23:16 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    @Clive_Dunn And don't forget the vilifying of anyone who doesn't agree with the collective. You can't have a Left Club if you don't do that!

    Left and Right. Both sides. All twats.
    That's what the "centrists" want you to believe.

  • Whizzo 5 Oct 2012 09:31:24 43,057 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The ethics of the UNSC aren't exactly nice but the Spartan programme was initiated to fight human separatists not the Covenant.

    Edited by Whizzo at 09:32:37 05-10-2012

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • Tonka 5 Oct 2012 09:32:53 20,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SClaw The problem I see isn't that nudity and violence are harmful (although I'm very tired of the violence in many games). The problem I have is (as I wrote) that the people trying to sell their games resort to the most base, tired trick in the book.

    "Well show them some cleavage and then they'll buy our game."

    Is that how you see yourself? Incapable of making a rational decision based on the game itself?

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • SClaw 5 Oct 2012 09:50:05 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tonka I have no problem with that point of view. Itís an oversimplification of the subject, but otherwise one I agree with.

    My problem is with the fact that a lot of people have attacked anyone who disagrees with the idea that booth babes are exploitative. They are, apparently, welcome to their opinion but everyone who disagrees with what Rab wrote is a fat nerdy wanker who hates women. This is very leftist behaviour.

    In all fairness, EG has written about violence in videogames too. But they did so in a reasoned, non-preachy way. Once again, it wasnít the message but the tone that bothered me. Although I donít agree with the message either, but thatís just my opinion.
  • Chopsen 5 Oct 2012 10:10:04 15,830 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't this just one bit elaborate straw-man? Nobody is persecuting anyone for liking attractive young women in skimpy clothing selling stuff. The issue is using attractive young women in skimpy clothing selling stuff is a bit tacky and doesn't sit well with the image EG wants to portray itself, and certain people find it objectionable to various degrees for various purposes.

    "Attacked anyone who disagrees" you say. Really? Attacked? Or just, you know, disagree, maybe?
  • localnotail 5 Oct 2012 10:15:56 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SClaw I personally think realistic warfare games are in very poor taste when real people are killing & being killed in combat every day, globally speaking. I also believe they desensitise players to violence. That's not a very popular argument around here though.

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • Tonka 5 Oct 2012 10:24:51 20,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    @Tonka I have no problem with that point of view. Itís an oversimplification of the subject, but otherwise one I agree with.
    It really isn't that much of an oversimplification. What do pretty girls in revealing outfits have to do with graphic cards? Couldn't NVidia just do live benchmarks or show wanky videos akin to what Apple show at every one of their events?

    It wouldn't be that hard to come up with a better way to market your product than to scan some cuties ass. (As long as you aren't selling som cellulit cream of course)

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • SClaw 5 Oct 2012 10:40:59 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Chopsen

    Itís been made out to be a moral issue when it simply isnít; it was a clumsily written opinion piece and the commercial preference of EG. The latter is fine, the former is unwelcome because it does promote a liberal agenda (which you may say is also fine; but I can still complain about it).

    Have a read through this thread or the other one about booth babes for plenty of examples of attacks. Whoever does not agree with the hive mind is an enemy of the hive mind.

    @Tonka

    Itís an oversimplification because there are a range of social and religious issues associated with the way we perceive violence and sex in this country, all of which influence our mentality. Sex sells because it remains taboo and taboo is desirable. Arguably, sexing everything up might result in us becoming rather uninterested in sex. Then again, weíve violenced everything up but we still like that, so maybe not...
  • Tonka 5 Oct 2012 11:15:53 20,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First time I ever heard of the sex > taboo > desirable > sale
    (an oversimplification if I ever saw one)

    There are plenty of taboo's that I wouldn't categorize as widely desirable (pedophilia, taking a dump in public) and that wouldn't sell.

    I think sex sells because we all like it. Making a connection between a product and something pleasant is rather basic sales tactics. To not use your products values but to rely on cleavage instead is talking down to your audience and rather offensive imo.

    (We both agree on this I guess so I'll shut up about it)

    I also think that most of these poor lasses are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. If there is any damage it's probably to their opinion on men.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • MIckelsenWhiteLTD 6 Oct 2012 10:23:34 57 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For the record, I've never been persuaded to buy something just because someone with big tits was standing next to it. Quite the opposite, in fact.

    In my mind, scantily clad person + product = shitty product.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Oct 2012 12:44:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomahawk wrote:
    I mean all the liberal articles telling us why most gamers are bad people and why they should feel bad for being heterosexual.

    I come to EG for the news not the social commentary. I look at other websites less and less because they are all part of the same liberal clique based out of the US and now EG are putting these articles out keen to show they are part of the same clique.

    Does anybody else hate that videogames journalism only has one voice now and not only that it is the voice of the minority that do not represent gamers? There are certain things I can accept but I am not a male apologist and I will not be made to feel bad by liberal male apologists or feminists who think the path to equality is superiority.
    Spoken like someone whose only news comes from Fox.

    If you think there's no Conservative clique you need to look harder, it's just that being largely intelligent Europeans we tend to have more liberal people here than conservative. Especially at a time when the UK is being torn apart by a Conservative government.

    EG decided (just like the American E3 games show did a few years back) to change a small aspect of the show that in reality affects very very little.

    Plus if you think that not having women stood next to games consoles wearing next to nothing and flashing their tits at you is feminine superiority then I worry for you.
  • Bremenacht 6 Oct 2012 13:57:18 17,685 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why oh why oh why were there no prostitutes at the expo? Does EG's liberal elite now consider themselves entitled not to provide sexually attractive women for gamers to take pictures of, and think about groping?
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 09:09:57
    @RobTheBuilder Torn apart or trying to repair after the hugely devastating fuckups caused by the very liberal Labour Party?
  • Tonka 9 Oct 2012 10:19:32 20,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What with the Gamasutra connection? Are they Guardian readers over there? How does that manifest?

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • RedSparrows 9 Oct 2012 11:13:40 22,213 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They say 'maybe issues of female representation in games are worth talking about'.

    FUCKING PINKOS
  • dogbot 9 Oct 2012 12:07:35 2,272 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    It's a natural part of growing up.
    :D
  • Tonka 9 Oct 2012 12:10:43 20,144 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I fucking hate commies! They took my wife's families business and now they want to treat virtual ladies well!

    OUTRAGE!!!

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

    Next
Log in or register to reply